PDA

View Full Version : Possible leading in barrel after shooting targetmaster .22 LR Conversion kit

Markasaurus
03-07-12, 11:10
I have a Stag Model 3 M4 clone with 1,000 rounds of 5.56 through it. I have put another 1,000 rounds of 22 lr using the targetmaster conversion. The conversion functions flawlessly - no malfunctions, period - but I'm concerned about barel leading. Using Federal 36 grain, copper jacketed hollow points, every time I pull a lead-away patch through the bore it shows dark traces.

I use kroil, hoppe's #9, CLP, lead-away cloths cut into a patch, and hoppe's lead remover solvent. I scrub with a nylon brush 8 or 10 times. I have tried soaking the bore for several hours with kroil, using corks stuck in to hold the solution but I still get dark traces on the lead-away patch. Should I use something else, or am I possibly getting worried about nothing?

agr1279
03-07-12, 13:01
Mountains out of mole hills. Don't worry about it.

Dan

DasBulk
03-07-12, 14:23
I fire a few .223 or 5.56 though mine after a day with the .22 kit to blow out any possible gas tube gundge. If there is any or not, I dunno. But I do it anyway. Then I just clean as usual.

Suwannee Tim
03-08-12, 09:09
I doubt your Federal ammo is leading but it it is you can see it. Give it a few solvent wet patches down the bore then a few dry patches. Leading will appear as dark streaks. You can feel heavy leading as you push a patch down the bore. With a 22 leading will show up beginning near the muzzle and proceed back. BTW, there is no solvent, oil or any chemical that will remove lead from a bore. Plenty of things will dissolve lead but they will dissolve the barrel too. It can be removed mechanically by scrubbing with a brush, abrasively or electro-chemically with one of the electrical bore cleaners.

wahoo95
03-08-12, 09:27
I always run 10-15rds of .223 through mine after shooting a bunch if 22lr. It always blows out any crap leftover in the barrel or gas tube.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Markasaurus
03-08-12, 10:20
Thank for the replies!
I shoot at an indoor range and out door range. The indoor range does not allow center-fire rifle ammo to be fired- sometimes I can't get to the out dor range for awhile because it's further away so sometimes shooting a 5.56 round isn't an option.
Does shooting 5.56 really remove lead from the bore?

Clint
03-08-12, 11:23
I think the main purpose is to clear out the gas system before any build up reaches levels that would impede functioning with centerfire ammo.

Suwannee Tim
03-08-12, 19:21
.....Does shooting 5.56 really remove lead from the bore?

I can't specifically address 5.56 but 30-06 it sure as heck does. If there is a lot of leading you risk damaging the bore. A lot of leading is very unlikely with 22 ammo.

Dienekes
03-09-12, 10:03
For what it's worth: About two years ago I picked up a CMMG .22 conversion unit to use with a Bushmaster carbine (yeah, I know, it's not a Colt...). The carbine at that time had just under 3000 rounds of 5.56 through it. I would run about one or two mags of my usual Federal AE 36 gr. HVHP bulk ammo through it in drills. I ALWAYS cleaned the rifle after firing no matter what ammo it had had through it. I wasn't thrilled with the accuracy or the reliability of the CMMG unit but it was ok for drills out to 50 yards on a reduced target.

One day I looked at the target I shot and found an odd ragged hole where there should have been a nice round .22 caliber hole. I got suspicious, broke the rifle open, pulled the BCG and checked for any obstructions. None.

When I got home I went into my usual cleaning routine and found that the patch hit a bulged area just under the FSB. Nothing changed that; I took the upper to a gunsmith I trust. He took one look at it and confirmed the bulge. Our intent was to section the barrel to actually see what we had but apparently his band saw wouldn't do the job.

I changed the barrel out to a lightweight and all is well. I sold off the CMMG unit and sprung for a S&W 15-22, which I like MUCH better anyway.

All I know is that I took what I think were proper precautions with the use of .22LR in this carbine. Most of the 5.56 ammo was hand loads but I am very particular about my reloads. At no time did anything at all out of the ordinary occur until the odd-shaped bullet hole and the definite bulge. I've posted a detailed version of this here earlier; it may still be around. No one has ever given me a good explanation of exactly why this happened. It cost me a decent barrel and pushed me into getting the S&W--which I would recommend doing in the first place.

Casull
03-09-12, 10:13
There's also dedicated .22 LR uppers if you want to run your lower. I like that idea and probably will do the same.

I do hear the conversion tends to be fine aside from instances such as that stated above.

Markasaurus
03-09-12, 12:43
For what it's worth: About two years ago I picked up a CMMG .22 conversion unit to use with a Bushmaster carbine (yeah, I know, it's not a Colt...). The carbine at that time had just under 3000 rounds of 5.56 through it. I would run about one or two mags of my usual Federal AE 36 gr. HVHP bulk ammo through it in drills. I ALWAYS cleaned the rifle after firing no matter what ammo it had had through it. I wasn't thrilled with the accuracy or the reliability of the CMMG unit but it was ok for drills out to 50 yards on a reduced target.

One day I looked at the target I shot and found an odd ragged hole where there should have been a nice round .22 caliber hole. I got suspicious, broke the rifle open, pulled the BCG and checked for any obstructions. None.

When I got home I went into my usual cleaning routine and found that the patch hit a bulged area just under the FSB. Nothing changed that; I took the upper to a gunsmith I trust. He took one look at it and confirmed the bulge. Our intent was to section the barrel to actually see what we had but apparently his band saw wouldn't do the job.

I changed the barrel out to a lightweight and all is well. I sold off the CMMG unit and sprung for a S&W 15-22, which I like MUCH better anyway.

All I know is that I took what I think were proper precautions with the use of .22LR in this carbine. Most of the 5.56 ammo was hand loads but I am very particular about my reloads. At no time did anything at all out of the ordinary occur until the odd-shaped bullet hole and the definite bulge. I've posted a detailed version of this here earlier; it may still be around. No one has ever given me a good explanation of exactly why this happened. It cost me a decent barrel and pushed me into getting the S&W--which I would recommend doing in the first place.

How did you clean yur barrel before that happened? And did anybody have an opinion on why the barrel got so leaded up?
Some people say to use Chore boy brand copper pads on a cleaning brush to cut the lead out.

Dienekes
03-09-12, 12:53
Just did the usual GI type cleaning, that I learned back in '66 with good stiff GI brass brushes, Ed's Red, and GI patches which meant pretty thoroughly.

"Opinions" are a dime a dozen and why I wanted to section the barrel. But it was definitely bulged as per miking the OD of the barrel in that area. From here on out I only use purpose-built dedicated barrels. I now know I should have gone with the 15-22 the first time around.

Fortunately I always wanted to slap a LW barrel on the carbine anyway (had one on my original SP-1 Colt back in the mid-80s) and this gave me the "opportunity". Live and learn.