PDA

View Full Version : Possible move to Idaho

Buckaroo
03-07-12, 13:31
We are looking to move back west.

Been in the Midwest too long (5 years)

We are considering Idaho due to my brother being in NW Wyoming and our son being a freshman at Boise State.

We need access to a reasonably sized airport for my wife's work related travel.

The Idaho Falls area looks quite interesting but I have never been there.

We want to be near mountains, enjoy moderate weather (lived 6 years in MN so winter is not a problem), and need good schools for our two kids still at home (5th and 8th grade fall of 2012).

Kids are into soccer and music. Both daughters sing in a regional youth choir and the older plays viola and violin.

I enjoy shooting IDPA and USPSA but am not a serious competitor. I'd like to start shooting long range again (need to get some instruction so I don't re-gain my poor form from my days of prairie dog shooting).

Thanks in advance for your insight and suggestions.

Stuart

leadsender
03-07-12, 14:41
Sounds like Boise would be good for you. Has your son told you anything about the area its got all the things your looking for. If you move anywhere in the treasure valley or magic valley area you will have very mild winters and hot summers, it's not to bad aside from the wind!

Buckaroo
03-07-12, 22:53
Sounds like Boise would be good for you. Has your son told you anything about the area its got all the things your looking for. If you move anywhere in the treasure valley or magic valley area you will have very mild winters and hot summers, it's not to bad aside from the wind!

I've been to Boise (once) and like it but not the hot and windy part. Plus it is a bit too far from my brother's place (7 hours). It is not off the list however.

I am not familiar with the treasure valley or magic valley designations. Can you help me to understand?

Thanks!

leadsender
03-07-12, 23:09
Treasure valley is the Boise area and the magic valley is where I'm at now it's the area around twin falls. The two areas take up the snake river valley area. I'm with you on the heat and wind (kinda makes shooting in the summer a bit painful in the summer). I have only driven through the idaho falls area but it was very scenic and looked like a nice area to live.

chadbag
03-07-12, 23:20
I've been to Boise (once) and like it but not the hot and windy part.

I am not in Idaho, but I would bet that the "hot summer" is relative. I don't think it is Arizona hot or Las vegas hot, but rather Idaho hot. I am in Utah near Salt Lake City and we have "hot" summers, but nothing unbearable and certainly not really "hot" like Phoenix or any place like that. And Idaho is north of me, so I doubt it is hotter there than here. And I would bet it is a dryer air than I've heard some places in the mid-west have so it is much more bearable than a humid place would be. (I've talked with some guys in St Louis and they get really humid there they said -- sounded awful).

Hopefully I am not too far off.

leadsender
03-08-12, 00:12
Chad
You are correct that it is relative. I'm betting its quite like your summer, although I don't know how windy it gets there. Once the wind starts up here it sucks the moisture right out of you with how dry the air is. But as long as your not out during the high sun it's not to bad, but I'm the kind of guy that would take cold over the heat. So my word is a little biased.