PDA

View Full Version : The Tough Choice: Noveske Vs Daniel Defense

kisskaren
03-07-12, 14:18
I want to purchase a quality Complete Upper to finish my personal first build, please help me choose between Noveske and DD.

Use:
--Range/dynamic shooting 0-600yards.

I really Want:
--16 inch mid-length Chrome lined cold hammer forged Barrel;
--The barrel must be Reliable, Durable and Accuracy!!
--I prefer Gov't profile.
--Affordable Price.

I'm not too concerned about:
--Has A2 fixed front sight or not
--Non/Free Float Handguard
--AAC blackout or A2 Birdcage (can't afford suppressor)

So:
--Noveske 16" Light Recce, BASIC Upper, FN CHF Barrel?Can't afford any other Noveske upper.
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lrb-556&cat=138&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=
--Daniel denfense V7 upper
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2967

Which one? Why? Where I can get it at a good price? my older brother has a military ID, but I guess maybe somewhere will have better price. Thanks in advance guys! Finally, I will have my own AR, I don't need shoot my brother's guns anymore!! : )

dustburn
03-07-12, 15:03
This is a win win. Both are very nice. I would think the Noveske would have a better barrel, but I don't think the average shooter would be able to tell the difference (or at least I know I wouldn't be able to). I would lean more to the DD due to the rail if you plan on leaving both stock.

a0cake
03-07-12, 15:03
So, you want the nonsensical gov't profile barrel, and say that it's important to you, but you don't care about whether the handguard / rail is free floating or not?

Don't take offense, but this kind of indicates that you're probably not sure what to be looking for. I'd research barrel profiles a bit using the orange search button, and also look into free float vs. non free float. I think you'll ultimately switch your priorities around.

WS6
03-07-12, 15:18
Noveske's barrel is better for hanging a suppressor off of, and they use a better upper (MUR) if you so option the weapon. For my use, Noveske got the nod. Both weapons are reliable, well-made pieces of machinery.

a0cake
03-07-12, 15:23
Noveske's barrel is better for hanging a suppressor off of, and they use a better upper (MUR) if you so option the weapon. For my use, Noveske got the nod. Both weapons are reliable, well-made pieces of machinery.

The light Recce Basic is a standard upper, not the MUR.

itllgrowback
03-07-12, 15:26
My considerations were pretty close to yours, and I just placed my order for the DD M4v7 upper through Rainier Arms:

It's going to get mated to a Noveske FFL, so I guess I got two birds with that stone. :)

EDIT: To expand on my decision - I love the adaptability of the v7 (MFR 12.0), without having full quad rails (most of the area of which will never get used). I like the ability to put little rail sections where I want them, leaving smooth (and low-diameter) areas elsewhere. I like being able to mount things along the offset angles, rather than simply at 12/3/6/9 o'clock.

I like that the tube is free-floating, and the upper rail is uninterrupted. I like that the gas block is tucked away underneath.

Good luck on the build! What's it going on top of?

kisskaren
03-07-12, 15:38
This is a win win. Both are very nice. I would think the Noveske would have a better barrel, but I don't think the average shooter would be able to tell the difference (or at least I know I wouldn't be able to). I would lean more to the DD due to the rail if you plan on leaving both stock.

Thank you sir!
I am still a beginner shooter, but you know I still want to know whoes barrel is the best. I have shoot my friend's LaRue upper which he told me it's a Lothar Walther LW50 stainless barrel, it's accuracy. I heard Noveske' Stainless uses Pac Nor, how about their FN CHF barrels reviews?

kisskaren
03-07-12, 15:44
So, you want the nonsensical gov't profile barrel, and say that it's important to you, but you don't care about whether the handguard / rail is free floating or not?

Don't take offense, but this kind of indicates that you're probably not sure what to be looking for. I'd research barrel profiles a bit using the orange search button, and also look into free float vs. non free float. I think you'll ultimately switch your priorities around.

Appreciate for your comment.
I want a gov't profile barrel because I am satisfied with its weight(and looks), I don't need extra light weight.
About the handguard, I have tools I can easily upgrade to non Free Float if I find it's really necessary. I am searching Free Float VS Non FF now. :)

3 AE
03-07-12, 15:48
Interesting differences between the two. Noveske chose to go with the upgraded BCM Gunfighter CH and upgraded AAC flash hider. Daniel Defense chose the std. A2 birdcage and mil-spec CH but upped the ante with an upgraded hand guard. You could also go with a complete Bravo Co. 16" Mid-Length CHF upper receiver group w/ BCM BCG and Gunfighter CH for about $675. Your choice of hand guards could range anywhere from $25 to $350+. Decisions,decisions. Wish I had your problem,LOL!

Scoby
03-07-12, 15:52
Welcome to the site.
You really ought to spend some time reading / searching the site. Tons of info. here about ARs and as had been suggested, you may change your mind about what your priorities are.

If you want the most accurate CL, govt profile barrel, at least get a free float rail on it.

Have you considered optics or are you just going irons all the way?
600 yds is a long way.....especially shooting "dynamically".;)

Tzoid
03-07-12, 16:03
what he said ^^^ :D

kisskaren
03-07-12, 16:04
BIG thanks to all of you guys! I have already learned a lot!

My lower is done, Mega Billet with EMOD A5 kit. I only have a LMT Rear Sight, I think I will RIBZ my rifle at 55/200 yards.
Now I still can't afford an Optics / suppressor, I want to spend money on the upper/barrel and ammo.

itllgrowback, sir, thank you for sharing your experience!

Tzook
03-07-12, 16:13

Beat me to it.... This is good advice. Take it.

kisskaren
03-07-12, 18:21
I decided to buy a DD M4 V7 Upper Gov't profile.
I Google and find it on Rainier, midwesthuntersoutlet , midwayUSA and D&T arms.

Alaskapopo
03-08-12, 00:39
I want to purchase a quality Complete Upper to finish my personal first build, please help me choose between Noveske and DD.

Use:
--Range/dynamic shooting 0-600yards.

I really Want:
--16 inch mid-length Chrome lined cold hammer forged Barrel;
--The barrel must be Reliable, Durable and Accuracy!!
--I prefer Gov't profile.
--Affordable Price.

I'm not too concerned about:
--Has A2 fixed front sight or not
--Non/Free Float Handguard
--AAC blackout or A2 Birdcage (can't afford suppressor)

So:
--Noveske 16" Light Recce, BASIC Upper
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lrb-556&cat=138&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=
--Daniel denfense V7 upper

Which one? Why? Where I can get it at a good price? my older brother has a military ID, but I guess maybe somewhere will have better price. Thanks in advance guys! Finally, I will have my own AR, I don't need shoot my brother's guns anymore!! : )

I know you are not concerned about free float but you should be as this greatly improves practical accuracy. I also hate fixed front sight posts. Get the DD and when you shoot the barrel out (long time) then get a Noveske Barrel. I have owned both DD and Noveske guns and I prefer Noveske but with the choices you gave me the DD is set up more to my liking.
Pat

Bonez556
03-08-12, 09:10
You really can't go wrong with either one. They are both very nice but if it were me I would go with a DD. Their uppers and barrels are VERY high quality. I'm not saying noveskes aren't or anything. I think noveske is a very good option as well. I'm just a big DD fan. If you were going to build a more precision gun that you wanted for group shooting I would suggest a noveske upper with one of their poly barrels. Just my .02

AKDoug
03-08-12, 10:52
I agree with the above. You really have to decide what kind of rifle you want. I've been torn for months about wanting a long distance hunting rifle I could combine with a self/home defense rifle that I could take carbine classes with. After lurking here for months I figured out quickly that the two really can't be had in one rifle. Sure, a hunting rifle will defend you, but the optics choice on one wouldn't be the ideal choice for a combat weapon. Likewise the combat rifle isn't going to reliably make 300 yard hits on coyotes and foxes if it's properly set up for defensive uses.

I want a lightweight rifle for my defensive carbine. That means a CHF lightweight barrel. A barrel like that, while accurate enough for it's purpose, isn't going to give the satifaction of a good long range barrel.

It all boils down to the fact that it's difficult, if not impossible, to get what you need out of one rifle. Which is exactly why I am saving my dollars to get two rifles.

If it's a CHF lightweight barrel you want, than the difference between the Noveske and DD isn't much and it's pretty much a coin toss.

If you want a more precision barrel and move away from the CHF lightweight barrel, Noveske is really the only choice between the two.

I just ordered a DDM4 V7 for my defense/training rifle.

Seth247
03-09-12, 01:06
DD if your money is important to you, Noveske if it's not. Both will kick ass and take names.

TehLlama
03-09-12, 11:38
The DD V7 is a great choice, and in all fairness Noveske will build uppers with DD handguards if you're willing to wait for them to put yours into production - both are top notch.

As many have suggested, paying for a Noveske upper that doesn't use a FF handguard is a bit silly if you're looking for accuracy, but with their proprietary SWS handguard, the TROY/VTAC models, or any of the DD FF units makes the Noveske a true tack driving option... not that the V7 is any slouch in that department either.

The V7 is the right choice - you'll have more cash in hand to spend on ammunition, and will be better able to avoid junky optics (again, out towards 600yd poor glass means piss poor results).

kisskaren
03-09-12, 12:19
Appreciate for all the replies! I ordered a DDM4 V7 URG, and can't wait put my hands on the MFR handguard.
Since I only want a CHF barrel, the difference between DD/FN barrels performance < their price diffrence.

Maybe in my next Stainless Steel build, I will use a 20" Krieger, Pac Nor or lothar-walther barrels.

jesuvuah
03-09-12, 13:14
I own a ddm4v7 and love it. It is the perfect setup for what I want out of a rifle.

Casull
03-09-12, 13:18
I mention Centurion Arms a lot. I feel like a pansy of sorts for it, but it seems they're a "normal" price + you get a barrel that goes above and beyond typical CHF barrels. It tapers like a Noveske and everything.

I think it's okay to research Centurion along with DD and Noveske in this particular case.

In the end, you really should "just get what you want" because that's what you've come up with, and you're probably smart.

Between the DD and Noveske I personally would go Noveske. I don't have special reasons other than personal "feelings" if you know what I mean ;)

kisskaren
03-09-12, 14:07
I mention Centurion Arms a lot. I feel like a pansy of sorts for it, but it seems they're a "normal" price + you get a barrel that goes above and beyond typical CHF barrels. It tapers like a Noveske and everything.

I think it's okay to research Centurion along with DD and Noveske in this particular case.

In the end, you really should "just get what you want" because that's what you've come up with, and you're probably smart.

Between the DD and Noveske I personally would go Noveske. I don't have special reasons other than personal "feelings" if you know what I mean ;)

Thanks Casull, I've read good reviews about handguard/barrel from Centurion Arms, but do you know where I can get their complete uppers?
I find Rainier Arms Combat Upper CE16 looks as same as DDM4 V7, how about it's performance?

Casull
03-09-12, 15:19
The Centurion Arms website has 'em. + Monty will fix you up with special needs if you're serious.

The problem is their website keeps going down. Not sure what the deal is but it can't go unresolved for long!

As for the DDM4 ordeal from Rainier... it's probably legit. They've got a good thing going as far as I can tell.

sadmin
03-09-12, 15:22
Bravo has their 14.5 mid with Centurion in stock... Just tossing that out there cause I got the email notification.

LoneWolfRonin
03-10-12, 11:29
I've got a DDM4V7 and cant say enough positive things about it. Midlength gas system and DD customer service!

duece71
03-10-12, 20:27
The skinny MOE looks interesting. I am biased however with a DDM4V3 in my safe. Whichever your choice might be, its a win-win.

captacademy
03-10-12, 22:19
I just picked up a DD M-4 V7 and love it. It really shoots well!

curt33
03-10-12, 22:31
love the v5

quirino21
03-10-12, 22:33
I have both, you cant go wrong.

monteroa55
03-21-12, 00:06
Good choice. Here is my DDM4 v7 with Daniel's modular float rail system. Love it. Lots of flexibility and it just looks awesome.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=504&pictureid=2609