PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience w/ FN SLP's?

buckshot1220
03-07-12, 21:08
I have a ton of pump guns...that I never use. Two are brand new, never fired. They sit in the safe.

Realistically I could get away with owning one or two good shotguns. Maybe keep a pump w/ 26" barrel for waterfowl hunting and a second semi-auto, semi-tactical one. I don't necessarily see a shotgun as being part of a home defense plan, but I can see its usefulness in a prolonged survival situation (many roles, one gun). Having never owned a semi-auto 12g before, and my skepticism, I'd like to see if anyone here can offer up knowledge on FN's SLP line.

I'm looking at this one in particular:
http://www.fnhusa.com/le/products/firearms/model.asp?gid=FNG002&fid=FNF005&mid=FNM0018

I like the 22" barrel, I've had them before and they pattern well (especially when using the right choke), and can handle a slug for more precise work. Ghost ring sights and pic rail already on receiver are also a plus as I'd probably toss a T-1 on it.

I like the Benelli M2 as well, but I'd lose some barrel length and in order for me to get 6+ rounds in it I'd have to get it up to 922r compliance(except for the $2,600 custom shop model:cray:), right? The Beretta TX4 Storm is in the same boat.

Remington is out of the question for me. I had a problem with a 870 right out of the box and it went back and forth to Remington four times before I finally just sold it to Gander Mountain at a loss. I never advise people against Remington products, but after dealing with them and the failure to make it right, I vowed never to buy another Remington firearm. Rant over.

So what would you do? Would you ditch 3-4 pump guns you don't really use to get into one do-all semi auto?

JStor
03-07-12, 21:46
Go for it. If I had any extra cash, I'd own one of the FNs, but I don't want to sell my Browning A5 Stalker to do it...so it remains on my "want list."

SA80Dan
03-07-12, 23:02
I have an FN SLP Mk1....my first and last shotgun bought about 2 years ago solely to get into 3 gunning. A few thousand shells of all kinds later, and it has proven itself extremely reliable and unpicky on ammo choice. Soft shooting and fast cycling too. Gets my recommendation.

Nephrology
03-08-12, 06:08
I have a shooting buddy who owns an SLP. He's put thousands of different shells through it ,no problems. A joy to shoot too.