PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in San Antonio want to shoot next week?

johnpuga1982
03-07-12, 23:36
Just curious if anyone wants to go shooting sometime next week?

SOWT
03-08-12, 11:41
Just curious if anyone wants to go shooting sometime next week?

When/where?

I am off Wednesday and Thursday.

johnpuga1982
03-08-12, 11:53
When/where?

I am off Wednesday and Thursday.

I'm free either of those days. I have no preference on where. I usually go to "A Place to Shoot" or "The Bullet Hoe." Do you know if you can shoot at Camp Bullis with a military ID?

SOWT
03-08-12, 19:59
I'm free either of those days. I have no preference on where. I usually go to "A Place to Shoot" or "The Bullet Hoe." Do you know if you can shoot at Camp Bullis with a military ID?

Bullis should be good as I thought you need a military id to get in.
Never shot at the other places. Let's aim for Thursday.

johnpuga1982
03-08-12, 20:13
Roger that. I'll need to register my rifle.

SOWT
03-08-12, 23:21
Roger that. I'll need to register my rifle.
Is registering the weapon a Bullis requirement?

johnpuga1982
03-09-12, 08:13
Is registering the weapon a Bullis requirement?

I've never shot the range outside of my unit. But I did find this information on another site.

APPENDIX L
SPORTSMAN RANGE

1. DAILY RANGE PASS. Daily range pass is $4.00. This allows shooter to shoot two (2) firearms (shotgun, pistol or rifle) per day. If there is a waiting line, your time will be limited to one (1) hour.

2. ANNUAL RANGE PASS. Annual range pass is $25 per year. The range pass authorizes the user to shoot two (2) firearms (shotgun, pistol or rifle) per day. If there is a waiting line, time will be limited to one (10 Hour. The range pass is included in all Camp Bullis special permit and activity cards.

3. HOURS OF OPERATION. The Sportsman Range will normally be open every Saturday and Sunday from 1000 to 1400 (Oct-May) and 0800 to 1200 (Jun-Sep). On occasion, the range may be closed to support military training requirements or other unforeseen reasons. You should call 295-7529 or 7577 to determine range status before making the trip to Camp Bullis .

4. FIREARM RESTRICTIONS. Firearm restrictions for the sportsman range are as follows:

a. All firearms must be registered with the Outdoor Recreation Center (ORC) prior to bringing them onto Camp Bullis .

b. No firearms will be fired on automatic.

c. Maximum caliber restriction is .30 caliber. No super magnum .30 caliber, i.e., 300 Win Mag. Maximum range limit is no more than 5,782 yards. (NOTE: See above comments concerning temporary caliber restrictions!)

d. Firearms will be fired at designated targets only.

e. No tracer ammunition will be fired on this range.

5. RULES.

a. The ORC Range Safety Officer (RSO) will be present at all times when the Sportsman Range is hot.

b. Non-shooters are not permitted on the firing line. Non-shooters are required to remain on the benches at all times. Each shooter must be in possession of either a daily or an annual range pass. No sharing of range passes between individuals is allowed.

c. No smoking on the firing line or in the covered area. Outside area is the designated smoking area.

d. Only one (1) gun is permitted on the firing line per shooter at a time.

e. No one is permitted down range without clearance from the Range Safety Officer (RSO). Only shooters are permitted to check targets.

f. All brass and trash will be removed prior to departing the range.

g. A round count will be given to the RSO upon completion of training.

h. Failure to follow RSO instructions will result in your removal from the range. A second violation will result in your range pass being revoked and privileges suspended.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/san-antonio/15492-camp-bullis-sportsmans-range.html

Redhat
03-09-12, 21:14
What type shooting will they let you do at Bullis? Is it strictly off the bench?

SOWT
03-12-12, 09:06
I may need to slip this a week if we can. I also need to find a rifle and pistol to take.

johnpuga1982
03-12-12, 18:46
What type shooting will they let you do at Bullis? Is it strictly off the bench?

I can't can really anwser that. I've seen/heard SAWS going off out there. The local SF force shoots there also.

SOWT
03-13-12, 06:25
I can't can really anwser that. I've seen/heard SAWS going off out there. The local SF force shoots there also.

I'll drive out on Wednesday to have a look.

My schedule is changing thanks to the Army :suicide2:

I'll post tomorrow after I get back.

SOWT
03-14-12, 16:02
I'll drive out on Wednesday to have a look.

My schedule is changing thanks to the Army :suicide2:

I'll post tomorrow after I get back.

Didn't make it today, and am now scheduled to work tomorrow.

I'll PM you to see if we can meet later. I assume you are at Ft Sam?

duece71
03-14-12, 21:25
No, I am not from San Antonio but I have an uncle who lives there and when I would visit him when I was a kid we would always go to "A place to shoot". Nice range, I remember it being hotter than hell out there but that was probably because it was summer :p
Is there still a gun shop out there? Has it gotten any larger? I remember rifle/pistol/shotgun (skeet towers). Just wondered if anything else has been added. Its been 25 years since I have been to that place. Have fun, wish I could go but it would be one heck of a commute.

johnpuga1982
03-15-12, 14:23
They've temporarily closed "A Place to Shoot." Apparently a stray bullet hit someone at a neighboring golf course.

duece71
03-15-12, 20:33
Sorry to hear about that, I hope it turns out ok for both parties. There is a range up here in Central Ohio that had the same thing happen, some stray bullets hit a couple of buildings belonging to a large and powerful corporation on an adjacent property. The corporation sued to have the range closed permanently. Last I heard, the range was dismantled and the land was sold off. All it takes is one.....:cray:

johnpuga1982
04-09-12, 19:47
I have drill next weekend. I'm gonna hit up range control and see the process of shooting the public range.

SOWT
04-09-12, 20:06
Sorry to hear about that, I hope it turns out ok for both parties. There is a range up here in Central Ohio that had the same thing happen, some stray bullets hit a couple of buildings belonging to a large and powerful corporation on an adjacent property. The corporation sued to have the range closed permanently. Last I heard, the range was dismantled and the land was sold off. All it takes is one.....:cray:

Which corporation? That way I can avoid using their products.

duece71
04-19-12, 19:59
Battelle. They are HQed up here in Columbus. Not really a "products" kind of company if you know what I mean. Lots of contract stuff. Mostly Government.

http://battelle.org/