PDA

View Full Version : Which muzzle break?

DaveK
03-08-12, 08:33
I am planning an upper build (5.56mm). I have all of my components lined up except for the muzzle break. I'm using a 16" barrel and plan to do 3 gun shooting. My primary concern is that when I'm shooting under obstacles, laying the weapon on its side, I don't want to throw up a lot of dirt (at least minimalize). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

maddawg5777
03-08-12, 09:06
Kicking up dust is gonna happen no matter what, the most recommended brake around here is the battle comp 1.0. It has great reviews and wont break the bank.

wahoo95
03-08-12, 09:29
Battlecomp, Dynacomp, or Griffin SD will be most forgiving for what you described.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

chadil1ac
03-08-12, 09:42
Buy a Battlecomp! They are a site sponsor and you are buying from great people. There is a huge thread on them in this section.

Watch the video below. They do the exact kind of shooting you are talking about and compare it to another brake. The difference you can see in the dirt it kicks up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr433ma17a0&feature=player_embedded

justin_247
03-08-12, 09:49
If this is a dedicated 3-gun rig, probably a ported brake, like the ones from Arredondo, Surefire, AAC, Miculek, JP, MSTN, or SJC, will be more appropriate than a Battlecomp.

There's a good paper on muzzle brake effectiveness on my computer that compares about a dozen different brakes. When I find it, I'll post it.

wahoo95
03-08-12, 10:09
If this is a dedicated 3-gun rig, probably a ported brake, like the ones from Arredondo, Surefire, AAC, Miculek, JP, MSTN, or SJC, will be more appropriate than a Battlecomp.

There's a good paper on muzzle brake effectiveness on my computer that compares about a dozen different brakes. When I find it, I'll post it.

All the brakes you listed are more effective than the BC, but he wants something that will kick up less dirt when on the ground. Those listed will dig holes

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

chadil1ac
03-08-12, 10:14

There are definitely some brakes that are out there that limit muzzle rise more than the BC. I was just going on the fact that he also wanted less side blast which is where the BC shines. It is like a combination of break and side blast reduction.

SomeOtherGuy
03-08-12, 10:55
Battlecomp, Dynacomp, or Griffin SD will be most forgiving for what you described.

This. And while some conventional brakes will be more effective, they will generate more blast throwing more dirt in your face.

The least dust signature/dirt throwing would be a sound suppressor, followed by the forward facing types (KX-3, Levang, Kies blast master), followed by the good ol' A2. Other than the sound suppressor none of those reduce recoil or have much effect on muzzle rise.

Clint
03-08-12, 11:17
One of our customers was recently at a 3gun shoot doing exactly what you describe.

At one point in the stage, the firing position was very close to the ground.

With the Covert Comp, he said he was the only competitor that was able to shoot that position without debris kicked up from blast of the first shot obscuring his view.

justin_247
03-08-12, 11:53
With regards to blasting up dust, noted.

Here are the comparison articles that I discussed earlier - they are both VERY good and compare numerous brakes:
"What are You Compensating For?"
http://www.multigunmedia.com/ar15-comps-pt-2.pdf

"A Question of Compensation"
http://www.multigunmedia.com/pk-compensation.pdf

JSantoro
03-08-12, 12:52
A Search, for keywords "Which Muzzle Brake," limited to thread titles only, and limited to the AR/M4 subforums: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php?searchid=4081272