PDA

View Full Version : Would you run this 'properly staked' BCG?

Positive Displacement
03-08-12, 10:14
Just want to gather a concensus on this. This was brand new, never used and I'm very unhappy right now.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx254/CRF450XNUT/e9c21feb.jpg

You can see on the bottom left where it was staked the 'crack' now rotate that and it goes all the way down. I have contacted the manufacturer to voice my 'displeasure' and haven't heard anything back yet. All have cracked or completely pushed through and are being held by little bits of metal.

Scoby
03-08-12, 10:31
What crack? I don't see a crack.

Someone may have gotten overly aggressive in the staking but...I don't see a problem.

AKDoug
03-08-12, 10:39
I wouldn't run it and would expect the supplier to replace it.

thopkins22
03-08-12, 10:40
Never mind, my initial post wasn't pertinent. As I misinterpreted what you thought the problem was.

For what it's worth, I'd shoot the hell out of it and expect that it would do fine.

fixit69
03-08-12, 10:45
I'd like to see a few more angles, but from what I see it's staked.

That is a good thing. Use it.

justin_247
03-08-12, 10:47
That staking job looks really good... maybe too aggressive, but still very good. I don't see any cracks, except maybe some oddly displaced metal on the one to the bottom left in the photo.

I don't see any problems and it should run fine.

Jaysop
03-08-12, 10:50
Am I blind or am I the only one who cant see a crack?

Youngbp04
03-08-12, 11:18
Am I blind or am I the only one who cant see a crack?

I think he is saying it was so aggressively staked that the stakes have "split". It is most evident I think if you look at the top right stake.

I could be completely off base but I think that is what he meant.

Darkop
03-08-12, 11:22
A little more aggressive than what I would have done. MIM keys do crack a little when staked that aggressively. But to answer your question, yes I would clean it, lube it and run the crap out of it.

Until that day,
Darkop

Watrdawg
03-08-12, 11:24
Look at the bottom right staking. Looks like a line going through the staking and also the bolt itself. I don't know if that is an actual crack in the bolt. Probably just a mark left by the staking tool? Also looks like the edges of the bottom stakes are cracked.

Otherwise I'd shoot it all day long.

Positive Displacement
03-08-12, 11:44
Gent's thank you for the reponses. Other BCG's that I've seen were staked properly and I think this one was just 'aggressively' staked. I've got another that is identical, staked but not quite like this and it's also MPI/HPT for a GREAT price. My 16" BCM Mid-length will be here today! Again, thanks to all.

PD

Alright, so it's been confirmed and here is the response from the manufacturer.

"The BCG in the picture is good to go. Nothing is going to come loose.

If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know!

Thank you"

HKUSP.40
03-08-12, 11:56
You never mentioned what company that BCG is? ........

Stickman
03-08-12, 12:06

Not much point, there is nothing wrong with it.

Javelin
03-08-12, 12:10
I'd shoot it.

SpankMonkey
03-08-12, 12:11
There is nothing wrong with it. A little over done but nothing broken. Go shoot the piss out of it.

Positive Displacement
03-08-12, 12:58

Well I left it out intentionally, you folks say that it's G2G. I had a very timely response from the SOS, not much else to say.

My main concern was what I saw and thought I knew and then saw this. There is more than one way to skin a cat or properly stake a BCG.

mstennes
03-08-12, 13:35
Well I left it out intentionally, you folks say that it's G2G. I had a very timely response from the SOS, not much else to say.

My main concern was what I saw and thought I knew and then saw this. There is more than one way to skin a cat or properly stake a BCG.

One thing you wont have to worry about, are if the bolts will ever back out.

Quiet-Matt
03-08-12, 13:47
There's nothing wrong with it. I'd run it.

SWATcop556
03-08-12, 13:59
Run it or don't but this thread is going nowhere.