PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma

fowl livin
03-08-12, 11:55
Need some advice, I am looking at picking up my first AR and after a couple months of reading and going to the LGS I have decided between a BCM or DD. My dilemma is I have an opportunity to buy a brand new DD M4v5 for $1200 or a BCM 14.5 midlength upper with 12" DD lite rail and AAC 51T for $650 without BCG or CH.

IF I buy the BCM upper I plain on putting a BCM BCG and BCM mod 4 CH so that will add another $180 or so to the already $650. I figure I can piece together the lower I want for Around $450 which consists of magpul CTR, miad, SSA trigger which brings my total to around $1280.

I think I might be comparing apples to apples and cant go wrong with either but just want to get some professional advice. Thanks in advance.

SpankMonkey
03-08-12, 12:14
Both are good setups even if you build the BCM.

I would good with the DD for no other reason than its a complete factory gun. Less hassle buying a complete gun.

duece71
03-08-12, 12:36
With my limited knowledge of actually building an AR, and wanting to avoid screwing up a build of my own, so every time I have gone with the factory complete rifle. I also advised a friend to do this as well for his 1st AR. Considering that there could be a lot that could go wrong, and surely WILL go wrong with little or no knowledge, the factory option is there. If the goal is to shoot, how does one get to that goal, safely and with enjoyment? Notice I said nothing about trying to save money. Just my .02

shua713
03-08-12, 12:49
Both being about the same in quality, I would go with the full gun, so you don't screw something up and if you have to buy all the pieces you will end up with shipping on top of that. I personally have a DD and love it.

TehLlama
03-09-12, 11:53
That price for a complete DD V5 is really hard to beat - I think the only way to come under it at all is buying the complete DD V5 Upper, and a blemished BCM Complete Lower - the only way that comes out ahead is from two stores. The only reason I mention the BCM completes is that it comes with a solid LPK, and it's easy enough to toss a GSSA, CTR, and MOE Grip on it down the road for around the same cost as building your own lower with the same parts.