PDA

View Full Version : advice for a 3 gun shotgun

coyotedustr
03-08-12, 12:40
I am going to try my first 3 gun match this summer. I have an Lmt carbine (I bought using advice for here) and a few pistols to choose from. What I don't have is a tactical shotgun. It has never been anything I have felt the need to own before. A new $1200 shotgun for one match is out of the question so here are my options, let me know what you would do.

1 my bird gun is a 1100 vented rib long barrel. Shots great with bird shot but I have had some issues shooting heavy loads like slugs. Hangs open

2 I have a mossberg 500 with a fixed full choke barrel. I could get an 18.5 barel for like $85 online and take the plug out

3 I have about $200 in credit at cabelas so I could get a tacitcal type 870 for like $300 total

What would you do? Thanks for the advice, I know many of you guys out there have a ton of experience with this type of thing

mstennes
03-08-12, 12:59
I am going to try my first 3 gun match this summer. I have an Lmt carbine (I bought using advice for here) and a few pistols to choose from. What I don't have is a tactical shotgun. It has never been anything I have felt the need to own before. A new $1200 shotgun for one match is out of the question so here are my options, let me know what you would do.

1 my bird gun is a 1100 vented rib long barrel. Shots great with bird shot but I have had some issues shooting heavy loads like slugs. Hangs open

2 I have a mossberg 500 with a fixed full choke barrel. I could get an 18.5 barel for like $85 online and take the plug out

3 I have about $200 in credit at cabelas so I could get a tacitcal type 870 for like $300 total

What would you do? Thanks for the advice, I know many of you guys out there have a ton of experience with this type of thing

A good friend of mine went with a Benelli M2 with a 21" barrel, he added a extended tube, he said he likes it better than the 870 he used before that, he even likes it over his M4 Benelli, for it's lighter weight. Me I would use the M4 though.

coyotedustr
03-08-12, 13:21
I would love to get an m4 but it they go for about 4x what I am looking at spending. Maybe some day if I get into shooting a bunch of matches, but not for the first one. I'll be that guy with the m4 that gets beat by the guy with a single shot

mstennes
03-08-12, 13:34
I would love to get an m4 but it they go for about 4x what I am looking at spending. Maybe some day if I get into shooting a bunch of matches, but not for the first one. I'll be that guy with the m4 that gets beat by the guy with a single shot

I fully understand that! Like I said my friend found a used M2 Benelli, with a 21" barrel, he added a extended tube, and he does very well with it, he said allot of 3 gunners use that set up, you can also buy new M2's with a 21" or find a used one and get a 21" barrel, lots of options, he just said its worlds above the pump.

M1AG30
03-08-12, 18:54
I am thinking of the same thing... once i move to florida in july i will look at getting more into it... I bought the 870 express magnum at a local shop for $200 with the 20" rifle sight barrel and the 28" barrel... took the wood of and runnin the messa LEO adapter so both my Ar and the 870 have the same stock set up from the trigger back.... was adviced that for the price the 870 is a great shogun for the 3 gun shoots .... until like you said you get proficient and upgrade.

just my 2 cents....

coyotedustr
03-08-12, 20:25
I think that's why I am leaning toward a barrel for the mossberg. I think it is inevitable that you will end up with an auto loader if you stay with It

Docmedic
03-09-12, 08:48

If this is your first 3-gun Match i wouldn't worry so much about buying a new shotgun. Your 1100 would be the best out of the 3, and many top 3 gunners still run 1100, though they are starting to be faded out by Benelli M2's. Even though your 1100 might be a long barrel, you won't see to many local matches were barrel length is a disadvantage, Its a little slower to go in and out of ports, but if your just starting out, your already going to be slow until you build the skills necessarily. If you can find a extention tube locally for your 1100 that allow it to get at least 9 in the mag tube, you'll be good to go.

As for Slugs, You won't see to many people running Full Power slugs anyways. I use 1200fps Rio Low-Recoil slugs, and they run out of my M2 just fine without me getting my shoulder and face beatup. Try a bunch of different speeds and brands and see what the 1100 likes the best

If your looking to seriously get into 3gun later, I'd save the money and get a 24" benelli, or if your very lucky a 21"

FYI: Benelli M4, would be my LAST CHOICE for a 3gun shotgun.

coyotedustr
03-09-12, 09:06
I do have a 20" barrel for the 1100, but it is a full rifled cantilever slug barrel so I don't think I want to run that. Maybe I need to head to a gun show and see if I can pick up an extension and a smooth bore slug barrel . Looks like the hold open issue is common and it may be as simple as a mag spring being worn

Docmedic
03-09-12, 09:13
I do have a 20" barrel for the 1100, but it is a full rifled cantilever slug barrel so I don't think I want to run that. Maybe I need to head to a gun show and see if I can pick up an extension and a smooth bore slug barrel . Looks like the hold open issue is common and it may be as simple as a mag spring being worn

I would recommend against rifled barrels, just for the fact that it slings shot all over the place.

coyotedustr
03-09-12, 09:16
Yeah, that's what I had read, never tried it before. I am thinking that I might be able to pick up a smooth slug barrel pretty cheap, since no one likes to hunt with those anymore.

Todd.K
03-09-12, 10:00
You can't run a mag extension on the 500 so I wouldn't put any money into a barrel for it.

coyotedustr
03-09-12, 10:24
It seems like everything I have read, increasing capacity seems to be the most important aspect of the shotgun for 3 gun

bulbvivid
03-09-12, 13:31
If it's your first match and you are just wanting to try it out to see if you like it, just borrow a gun. If you don't know someone who has a gun you can borrow, get in touch with the match directors and see if they have any suggestions about borrowing one. Chances are, they or some of the other competitors won't have any trouble letting you shoot theirs. Then you're out zero dollars and will have a better handle on what you need should you decide to invest in one.

On that note, the Miculek 930's look pretty interesting for the price.

mstennes
03-10-12, 10:57
If it's your first match and you are just wanting to try it out to see if you like it, just borrow a gun. If you don't know someone who has a gun you can borrow, get in touch with the match directors and see if they have any suggestions about borrowing one. Chances are, they or some of the other competitors won't have any trouble letting you shoot theirs. Then you're out zero dollars and will have a better handle on what you need should you decide to invest in one.

On that note, the Miculek 930's look pretty interesting for the price.

I was just thinking of posting a 930, might be the best answer?

coyotedustr
03-10-12, 17:58
I am thinking about either going through the 1100 and using it or doing something dumb like purging a few guns and picking up a new shot gun. I think I can get a pretty good deal Ina new sx3. I have read they will interchange with the slp barrel.

solidgun
03-11-12, 13:00
It is always great to invest into a good shotgun because if you find out that you are not that into 3-gun, you can always sell it back.

I mention this as you can use the gift card you have and invest into something that will not give you the return if you realize that you need to upgrade. Whereas, you could sell your 500 and work on something like the Moss 930

coyotedustr
03-11-12, 13:19
I am thinking a out doing just that. I would sell my 500 and a spare m1 garand that I have (don't worry I will still have an m1), those two plus my $200 in credit should get me a pretty nice shot gun. The question is do I go with something pretty specific like a 930 or do I pick up something like a benelli m2 field or an sx3. It would still have a long barrel, but I could use it for everything and work on adding a spare barrel and mag extension as I go. And my better half may just go for it I will end up with one less gun at the end.

brizower
03-11-12, 13:27
870 tactical all the way. I've owned one for a while now and love it. It's accurate too when I shoot slugs through it. I can punch the center out of a target pretty easily and I am a terrible shot.

rob_s
03-11-12, 13:51
"3-gun" is a very broad description, and is not as specific as IDPA or USPSA. Classifications, distances to targets, divisions, shot type needed, etc. can all vary because there is no standard.

Do whatever you need to shoot the match for the lowest cost possible so that you can get out and check out the matches you are actually going to be shooting vs. what everyone else on the internet shoots. If the local match is close enough, go watch one and see what they are using or suggest.

You also might try asking your question on a competition-oriented forum
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

coyotedustr
03-12-12, 08:17
Thanks rob. For now I just ordered a new set of seals and springs for my remmy 1100. I don't want to get to carried away too quickly. I think the wait and see approach is best. I certainly don't mind buying new guns, but I hate buying one twice.

benthughes
03-15-12, 16:54
I absolutely agree with Rob S on this. Use what you have and decide what you like and what you don't. I started of shooting USPSA steel matches with the Glock 23 I happened to have. I never planned on being a competitive shooter, doing it more for fun. The Glock 23 is my carry gun and these matches let me manipulate that gun under pressure which is great practice! Not an ideal gun for the situation but it's not like I was going to be top 5 even with a race gun strapped to my hip :p

We have TAPS matches which I also do for fun more than anything. There are some matches that we do 3 gun. I showed up with my Glock, a pimped out Larue build with ACOG DOCTER combo and Remington 870. It was ridiculous... I like my Glock, the Larue was cumbersome the ACOG combo was slow and the 870 was okay although I would generally prefer a semi-auto. I discovered this by shooting what I had and changed my setup accordingly.

We only do an occasional 3 gun match but I now use my Sig P-226, BCM middy with Eotech and Remington 1100. I'd love to have a Benelli M2 or a FNH SLP but the 1100 is more than adequate. Long story short, go out and have fun and don't worry about the latest and greatest gear. Consider an upgrade if you find something detrimental to your performance.

solidgun
03-15-12, 19:49
I was going to buy a SLP MKI, but ended up modifying my SX3 field model for use for 3-gun. 28" barrel is really long, but if I do well, I will invest $300 for a 24" barrel.

coyotedustr
03-15-12, 21:16
I have thought about that as well. Do you know if an slp barrel fits it? Midway has 22" slp barrels for like $350

hammerhead1
03-18-12, 20:00
Alot of people are raving about the Mossberg 930...I just can't jump on that train!! I shoot an FN Mk1 22" it has a few modifications that make it easier to load and a few other goodies...after all in three gun, loading and choke selection are the name of the game. If the gun you have suits you, stays within class rules and keeps the playing field level for you go for it!! I have seen alot of guys shoot 1100's and 1187's that have been tricked out. IF the gun runs good just practice loading and patterning your gun at varied distances.

Also...check out Brian Enos's forums and website...another good site is boomershooter.com

usmc1371
03-18-12, 22:39
I have shot a couple 2 gun matches, pistol/shotgun, and the first two I didn't even own a shot gun. I showed up with a box of shells and walked around asking who would let me shoot their gun. The first match I wound up shooting a FN SLP now sure the exact modle but it was bad ass. I would buy one if I had the coin and still may. The second match I took shells, asked around, ended up shooting a 1100 and I did pretty dam good with it, it worked just fine long barrel and all. Just shot a match yesterday and I took a barrowed 870 with me. I had better times than several guys who were running autos. If you want to be fast learn to put shells in your gun faster than the other guys.

Aiannare
03-23-12, 00:17
Just say screw it and go all out on your end game shotty!!! :confused::D :Moil: