PDA

View Full Version : eotech

smith m4
08-24-06, 09:01
anyone care to share their experiance with their eotech sights?

please include
-how easy/difficult it was to zero
-what yardage you zeroed in at
-how accurate
-likes/dis-likes
-overall impression

M4arc
08-24-06, 09:12
Smith - I'm a big EoTech fan so take my advice at face value ;)

#1 & 2 - Like everything else I've tried the EoTechs are simple to sight in. I've sighted in a half a dozen now and its just a matter of a few clicks here or there and I'm done. Most of the time it takes me about 15 rounds to sight in at 50 yards.

#3 - Plenty accurate for me. At the last VA BRD I won the non-magnified competition with my 14.5" Mutt and EoTech and at the last class I was consistently hitting the steel at 200+ yards.

#4 - I like the wide window because it's very fast. I like the outer circle because I've become used to using it as reference for getting the center dot on target. I don't like run times when compared with my Aimpoints.

#5 - My overall impression is Excellent. It has pluses and minuses but it's still my favorite optic.

I would recommend a 512 or 552 model because I've had better luck with the AA batteries. However, my main carbine has a 551 on it but I have to be very diligent about making sure it has fresh batteries. Generally I replace the batteries before and after every class just to be on the safe side.

BrianXD
08-24-06, 09:22
I have heard several reports of Eotech not being battle worthy. This is from a thread from Stopping Power on a Pat Rogers course;

EOTech sights had lots of problems. The eight SWAT guys with the DPMS guns also had EOTechs sights. When they were not fixing guns they were fixing sights. Dead batteries were common, and more surprising the operators had grown so used to the sight dying that they were not even surprised when it died. They just accepted it as part of the sight. A sight that just pukes, without warning and often, cannot be trusted. I am not sure if any of their sights lost their zero during the course, but that is also a common problem with the EOTech. That said the EOTech has great sight picture that is easy to use, if only it was more robust. Rogers has a unit that EOTech gave him to try out , is had died and before he could ship it back to the he dropped it, and it came back to life. This is not the reliability that we should be looking for.

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11797

Neeglik
08-24-06, 10:01
Eotech's will be fine once they increase battery life, simplify the on/off switch, and develop a better mounting system.

I also had some issues with POA/POI shift when the optic got wet. I'm no expert, and this was not a scientific experiment. It rained on us, and next thing I know my hits are all going off. I'm not going to say that it couldn't have been attributed to other factors, but the only change to my environment was the heavy downpour.

In reference to the above observations from the Pat Roger's class... The earlier Eotech's were very problematic (just like the earlier Streamlight M3 lights). You don't seem to hear as many of these problems nowadays. So, if you purchase one, make sure it is one of the more current revisions.

I've never had any of those problems with the current Aimpoints (M2's and M3's), so until the Eotech improves over the Aimpoint, I'll stick to the Aimpoint. (However, I did just purchase a Tripower for testing...)

YMMV.

C4IGrant
08-24-06, 10:18
The earlier revisions of EOTech had issues. The Latest Revision (F) is excellent and have only 1-2 returned for issues.

C4

Patrick Aherne
08-24-06, 11:02
My department issues around 10 or so of them. One is currently TU. I recommend the AA battery model over the N size battery version. I like the reticle; it's fast for moving targets and up close stuff, and the single dot is useful for precision stuff out to wherever you're comfortable within the limitations of a carbine.

They SUCK to try to turn on in a hurry, so much so that I only recommend Compact ACOGs and Aimpoints for patrol rifles, instead of Eotechs.

SuicideHz
08-24-06, 11:17
Maybe hard to turn on fast if you want to poke with your index finger but not if you press with your thumb. Either up or down will turn it on to the same level of brightness...

Hoplophile
08-24-06, 13:53
Maybe hard to turn on fast if you want to poke with your index finger but not if you press with your thumb. Either up or down will turn it on to the same level of brightness...
Try it while wearing gloves and under stress then try the same drill with an Aimpoint.

I really do like the EOtech but I wish they were easier to activate.

C4IGrant
08-24-06, 14:35
Try it while wearing gloves and under stress then try the same drill with an Aimpoint.

I really do like the EOtech but I wish they were easier to activate.

I wear gloves and use the EOTech. I have no problem running the controls. The down side to the Aimpiont knob is that you can bump the dial and break it or turn it off.

There is no free lunch with any optic.

C4

jjw
08-24-06, 16:02
i sell over 1000 eotecs a year and about 500 aimpoints

all dogs have fleas

pat had a bad experience with eotec and has bad mouthed them ever since. also the people running the company are not the brightest bulb in the pack but when L-3 bught them they moved forward a high rate of speed and all product is fine now

aimpoint is 20% bad out of the box now and eotec about .005%

both have been good but the company sells a shit pot full to the military. aimpoint has so many in the pipe line they have huge numbers in inventory.

i have 8 a.r's and all my o.t.d. guns have eotec my trg guns have aimpoints to "play with".

i have been doing this off and on for 35+ years and i would bet my life on eotec but aimpoint is good too. they are making them so fast their q.a. has gone south

dont confuse quality gear with the morons that run the companies

u will see that a lot in this industry some companies are sucessful in spite of management .

jjw

www.odspec.com

good luck

DBautista
08-24-06, 17:19
please include

Its easy! Just like any other. You might need a spotting scope/binos to dial it in at further distances.

I started at 15 and then 25yds using 3 inch shoot-n-sees from WalMart. Then 50yds using 3 inch shoot-n-sees. When 75% of my shots were hitting it, I was good.

-how accurate

I can hit 100 yd plates, no problem. I tried 200, but I cant tell if I am hitting them, it a bit far for me.

-likes/dis-likes

I WISH THEY WOULD HURRY WITH THIER MAGNIFIER!!!! HURRRRRYYYYY.

-overall impression[/QUOTE]

Im looking for a deal on one right now.

What really made me decide on the optic was experience. I have friends that have aimpoints, eotechs, tri powers, etc... I tried them and the Eotech was the one that I liked.

Aimpoints are cool too, but for reason, I didnt like the "feel".

shark15
08-24-06, 21:35
Just a little EOTech story of mine. Ill let others give techincal advise.

I was at a local shop In NY (Special Arms and Munition) (www.specialarms.net) Picked up a EOtech for a build I just finished that day. As I was checking out they told me about a Tactical carbine course they were have that night and the next day. I jumped aboard and took the class. The second day at the range I zeroed my EOtech for the first time. At the end of the class they set up a Combat course. This was my first time with This new AR, The EOtech, and my first combat course. I came in second with a time of 34.?? seconds behind the guy in first at 32.?? seconds, that was a seasoned 3 gun comp. shooter who BTW also used a EOtech.

I now own 3 EOtechs a 551, 552, and 512. Im also a ML2 Aim Point owner as well.

VA_Dinger
08-25-06, 16:56
anyone care to share their experiance with their eotech sights?

Speaking as an ex-Aimpoint guy I have grown to strongly prefer EoTech's now. The increased FOV and 1 MOA dot are what converted me originally. Stick with the AA battery powered models for the increased battery life and you will be pleased.

No problem at all.

50 yards.

-how accurate

It will certainly not hold anybody back under 300 yards. I think the 1 MOA center dot is a big plus in regards to accuracy.

-likes/dis-likes

(2.) Great reliability
(3.) 1 MOA center dot for longer-range accuracy.

Dislikes:
Shorter battery life than an Aimpoint.

That being said, I still do not consider the AA battery powered models life span to be "Bad" at all.

M193 BALL
08-25-06, 19:58
I have the EOTECH 551

cheaper than aimpoint and ready to mount as is.

I like it alot, fast easy

if I had to pick only 1 it would be the aimpoint

I also have a Aimpoint ML2 and still useing the same battery since 01