PDA

View Full Version : NOOB and Quick Advice

dw_player
03-09-12, 11:21
I'm a noob to all things practical about this platform. I keep reading and learning of course but would like some advice. I've researched manufacturers, styles, read the sticky FAQs, etc. and saw what I thought was a good deal yesterday. But maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I found a gently used (looking at the bolt face anyway) 14.5" mid length A2 style weapon. Its a stamped Rock River lower for 5.56/2.23 and I have no idea about the internals and trigger. The thing that caught me was its a complete BCM upper. It's chrome lined barrel, not the hammer forged one. Again mid length gas system and 14.5" with a fixed flash hider. That plastic magpul hand guard, daniel defense rear sight (not a folding style), magpul pistol grip and magpul 6 position stock. Has one 10 round pmag. $650 OTD.
Seems like about $1200 to build (if you could get the BCM upper that is...;-) ).
I looked at the etiquette and didn't see anything about posting prices etc. I didn't list the store. If I broke a rule I apologize in advance.
Good deal? I think so but again this is my first everything. Including post on this site.
I put it on layaway until I can get some input and education.
Am I overlooking something? Too star struck with the BCM upper?
Any help is appreciated guys and thanks in advance.

Iraqgunz
03-09-12, 11:34
BCM is showing 14.5" midlength uppers in stock (regular and lightweight) as well as standard chrome lined barrels.

There is no indication of how many rounds are through it, you have no idea about the BCG and you stated you nothing about the lower.

Personally I am very leary about buying used stuff especially if I don't know who built it, round counts, etc.....

I'm a noob to all things practical about this platform. I keep reading and learning of course but would like some advice. I've researched manufacturers, styles, read the sticky FAQs, etc. and saw what I thought was a good deal yesterday. But maybe I'm looking at it wrong. I found a gently used (looking at the bolt face anyway) 14.5" mid length A2 style weapon. Its a stamped Rock River lower for 5.56/2.23 and I have no idea about the internals and trigger. The thing that caught me was its a complete BCM upper. It's chrome lined barrel, not the hammer forged one. Again mid length gas system and 14.5" with a fixed flash hider. That plastic magpul hand guard, daniel defense rear sight (not a folding style), magpul pistol grip and magpul 6 position stock. Has one 10 round pmag. $650 OTD.
Seems like about $1200 to build (if you could get the BCM upper that is...;-) ).
I looked at the etiquette and didn't see anything about posting prices etc. I didn't list the store. If I broke a rule I apologize in advance.
Good deal? I think so but again this is my first everything. Including post on this site.
I put it on layaway until I can get some input and education.
Am I overlooking something? Too star struck with the BCM upper?
Any help is appreciated guys and thanks in advance.

dw_player
03-09-12, 11:40
BCG is BCM. Also has a BCM gunfighter charging handle.
Original post stated all I know about the lower. Rock river and that's all I know.
Absolutely correct on round count. Looking at the wear many parts are still very 'black' and not worn 'shiny'.
All very technical terms...
:-)
Never too late to pull out of it of course but it looks like I can get in this rifle with a great optic for the price of building this myself. Place also has a 30 day return if I'm unsatisfied.
Need some training too of course.
Thanks for the help!

djmorris
03-09-12, 11:45
So is it a LGS selling it used? Any kind of return policy i.e. 10 days, etc. ? It sounds like an absolute steal at that price just because of the BCM upper and Magpul furniture, etc but if I were you I'd break it down and see what it's got going on inside it. Is it a BCM BCG? Is it properly staked? Whenever I buy a used or LEO trade-in firearm my LGS always lets me do a quite detail strip on it right at the counter and check everything out. I would ask to do that. In particular, check the BCG and see if it's a reputable manufacturer, properly staked, etc. Even if it has a couple of issues at $650 it's a no brainer. At worst, you could sell it and make a couple of hundred dollars!

edit: seen your post above. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The BCM upper is worth the asking price alone.

dw_player
03-09-12, 12:03
That's what I was thinking. That the complete BCM upper was worth what they've got on it. It is an LGS is pretty reputable. Bought there many times before.
Now...aimpoint or eotech....
Hmmmm...
Seriously though, it's got that plastic hand guard that you can put mini rails in. Magpul but I can't remember the exact model name. Forgive my ignorance. It does fit my hand well. May want to add a real rail system at some point.
But thinking optic first. And maybe dump that DD rear site for a folding BUIS.
Should I leave the fixed front sight or remove it for a new gas block and low profile system and a folding front too?
Whats the advantage or disadvantage of the fixed FS?
Haven't searched on that much yet honestly. I'm sure theres a thread for that.

J_Dub_503
03-09-12, 13:00
If your LGS allows, take some pictures of it and let us see what you're dealing with. What I'm grabbing from this, is that you have a steal in your hands. Even buying this and replacing the lower with a BCM Blem or putting a G&R tactical LPK in it you're still at a great price.

dw_player
03-09-12, 13:16
Will do. Ill swing by in a bit and try. I meant to yesterday when I was looking and totally slipped my mind.

Iraqgunz
03-09-12, 13:21
What if the barrel or the chamber is shot out? I had a friend that purchased a barrel (Colt or FN) that he was told was like new. It even appeared so in the pics.

Yet at 25M all the rounds would keyhole. It took a detailed inspection the barrel to determine it was FUBAR.

I would want to know why it was sold and why the LGS is selling it so cheap.

If your LGS allows, take some pictures of it and let us see what you're dealing with. What I'm grabbing from this, is that you have a steal in your hands. Even buying this and replacing the lower with a BCM Blem or putting a G&R tactical LPK in it you're still at a great price.

shua713
03-09-12, 13:52
Now...aimpoint or eotech....

I personally like the aimpoint. The battery life is great, you can leave it on for years at a time, and I like the recticle better then the eotechs.

I also like the DD fixed rear sight.

The advantage to the FSB is that it is much more durable and if in the event your red dot goes dead, you dont have to fumble with flip up sights, you are still ready to go.

dw_player
03-09-12, 14:18
Iraqgunz I'm usually of the mind set that if it's too good to be true then it is so I'm with ya. My eye is untrained for this platform but man I gotta think I could spot excessive wear and I didn't see it. We broke it down and the chamber, bolt/face and bore looked very clean to me. But Im also a glock guy so clean is relative.
I'll see if I can snap some pics and post for more informed opinion.
Thanks for the info on the fixed front sight too. Makes sense to me. Other than a quality optic I'm not in a hurry to add a bunch yet.
Practice first then I'll see what I need.
Thanks to everyone for the insight.

45auto
03-09-12, 14:37
For another $350 bucks you can get a brand spankin' new in the box Colt 6920.
Why buy used when you don't have to? :dance3:

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/tomc54/CO6920NB.jpg

SilverTongueDevil
03-09-12, 14:38
Its a LGS correct just get a bore scope and check it out but waiting on it at that price it might move on you pretty quick.
The bore scope will show any damage to the bore and chamber..
I think its not much to ask the store to use there bore scope.

Paladin801
03-09-12, 14:46
Why is the seller wanting to get rid of it? Usually, if it sounds too good to be true, it's not. JMO. If you've got to have one, I suggest save up a little more and get a new one. More times than not, you're getting another persons problem. If you know the seller personally and trust him, oh well. Good Luck !

dw_player
03-09-12, 15:04
Why is the seller wanting to get rid of it? Usually, if it sounds too good to be true, it's not. JMO. If you've got to have one, I suggest save up a little more and get a new one. More times than not, you're getting another persons problem. If you know the seller personally and trust him, oh well. Good Luck !

It's an LGS so I don't know any of that data unfortunately. Again it looks clean but you never know.
There's a story but its a store so you never know really. With a 30 day return policy I'm tempted to roll te dice, ya know?

dw_player
03-09-12, 15:13
For another $350 bucks you can get a brand spankin' new in the box Colt 6920.
Why buy used when you don't have to? :dance3:
This is the best advice you have received so far.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/CO6920.aspx

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/tomc54/CO6920NB.jpg

I personally don't mind buying used quality or reliability. I've bought used glocks and sigs. My thought was I could get this and an optic for the price of a new rifle.
But I totally understand what ur saying and like what ur saying.

dw_player
03-09-12, 17:03
Here's some pics guys. The chamber pics didn't turn out but it's shiny....
Again, all comments welcome. The guy did tell me that it's a lightweight BCM 14.5" mid length. But that's his eyeball for the LW barrel weight. My eye's untrained so I don't know.

IronAssault
03-09-12, 18:23
At $650 this is a must buy, as long as you can verify the condition of the barrel. With a return policy have no fear.

mdoan300
03-09-12, 19:20
This deal seems too good to be true. If the LGS is offering it for $650 out the door, then I wonder how much the LGS paid the previous owner for it.

Could be the LGS hasn't heard of BCM so they think BCM is lesser quality than a certain retail brand name.

eo500
03-09-12, 20:45
Could be the LGS hasn't heard of BCM so they think BCM is lesser quality than a certain retail brand name.

This

I've been to several LGS's that had never heard of BCM or Novesky (I obviously will never ask them for advice on anything). I'd buy it and shoot it to see how it runs. With a return policy, it seems like a slam dunk to me.

dw_player
03-09-12, 20:59
This

I've been to several LGS's that had never heard of BCM or Novesky (I obviously will never ask them for advice on anything). I'd buy it and shoot it to see how it runs. With a return policy, it seems like a slam dunk to me.

Just what I was thinking with the return. Run it, keep it or return it. Price is good enough that I'm either getting a good deal or out nothing.

lethal dose
03-09-12, 21:08
the only concern i'd have is what ig expressed... but that thing looks clean. as was stated, i'll bet 10 to 1 that the lgs has NO idea who DD or BCM is and probably thinks it garbage. if the thing is right on, it's your gain... his loss.

dw_player
03-10-12, 11:56
Thanks to all for the insight and advice. I pulled the trigger and bought it a bit ago.
Gotta watch the big blue nation then I'll post some pics of the internals.
Now I just gotta learn how to shoot it....
:-)

K9 jake
03-10-12, 12:05
Congrats on a great buy,
Cheers

Endur
03-10-12, 12:29
I was just about to say buy it since the 30 day return but you already did. Looked like a good buy to me. Now shoot the shit out of it and enjoy.