PDA

View Full Version : Building your own or source for a good IFAK?

Doc Safari
03-09-12, 13:31
As I put my FLC vest together, I've about decided on placing a good IFAK at the lower right corner.

So far, though, the Google-Fu is failing me on this. I was under the impression you could purchase a complete IFAK with all appropriate contents, yet I'm finding a lot of outlets for the basic pouch but without the components. I've spent a couple-three hours looking at various sites, but I'm disappointed at the results.

I would want a basic IFAK, but being a rancher out in B.F. Egypt, I need some things to customize it to my particular tactical niche.

--A snake bite kit. Source for a good, portable one?
--A kit to counteract insect stings. I am allergic to bee and wasp venom. IIRC the antidote is adrenalin, which is more than likely not available to the public. But are there alternatives, like an injectable antihistamine?

Of course a cell phone and I'm thinking a GPS are two essential pieces of equipment for the North Forty, but what else can you think of for someone who is more likely to encounter injuries from desert wilderness hazards than injuries from enemy contact?

kdcgrohl
03-09-12, 13:45
Not sure about your additions, but this could be a good start:
BFG Trama Kit NOW! (http://www.blueforcegear.com/trauma-kit-now-filled-with-supplies/)

Texas42
03-09-12, 14:58
The "adrenaline" is epinephrine.

Google epi pens.

They are a couple hundred bucks.

chuckman
03-09-12, 16:18
Snake bite kits are old school. WAY old school. Don't get one. If you are allergic to something and need an epi kit, get a prescription, it's the cost of a co-pay. Epi ain't that expensive, especially if you get a prescription. An antihistamine does not do the same thing as epi, and they work very well together, but you need the epi.

It can often be much cheaper to source your own kit, but gotta know where to look and be able to separate the shit from the shinola quality-wise, so if you aren't in the biz, it's just cheaper to buy an existing kit. Look at Elite First Aid, Chinook Medical, NARP, and about a dozen other places (some vendors are on this forum and I would just as soon buy from them as anyone).

TucsonFX4
03-11-12, 18:44
Glockster-
I agree with the advise so far. Current EMS procedures for snake bites are immobilization for the bite site (splint the arm, leg, or where ever) and try to keep the bite site at the same level as the heart. No ice, no tourniquet, not "cut and suck", etc.

Epi pens, as has been mentioned, are for acute allergic reactions. However, they are VERY sensitive to temperature. The studies I have seen have shown they become innefective after 45-60 minutes (cummulative) of exposure to temps above 85*F. Making them virtually useless to be carried outside year round in most places. There is a better option with epinephren that comes in a vial and is measured/injected with an insulin-style syringe. It is supposed to be more temperature resistant. But I don't have any experience with that style yet and don't know much more. Also, a dose of epi only corrects the allergic reaction for 10-15 minutes. Meaning, the epi wears off quickly and then you are back to dealing with the symptoms of the allergic reaction until they wear off on their own. IIRC, most places procedures allow for 3 series of epi injections, if you have that much of course. Basically, understand epi isn't the cure, it is just a very temporary band aid until you reach the hospital.

medicman816
03-11-12, 18:48
Snake bite kits are old school. WAY old school. Don't get one. If you are allergic to something and need an epi kit, get a prescription, it's the cost of a co-pay. Epi ain't that expensive, especially if you get a prescription. An antihistamine does not do the same thing as epi, and they work very well together, but you need the epi.

This. If you have a documented allergy you should have no problem getting prescriptions for epi pens from your doctor. While epi is dirt cheap, the pens are pricey in comparison. just checked the price: $190 for two, and you need at least two. Most decent prescription plans cover these, mine is a $30 co-pay, FWIW. (I don't use them, checked just for an example.) The drug of choice depends on the reaction you have; localized reactions usually do fine with oral and topical antihistamines (or nothing at all if you can stand the symproms), systemic reactions require epi. Only you know which you have, usually someone who has an anaphylactic reaction to anything is given epi-pens to carry immediately or in short order.

As far as snake bites go, google to find out what type of snakes are in your area and then research what type of venom they have and the recommended treatment for it. Sometimes it is better to allow the venom to circulate through your body to avoid localized effects, other times it is better to try to keep the venom local. I would steer clear of anything that recommends cutting an x in the bite and/or sucking out the venom, these are usually not recommended anymore. Best general advice is to; a: GTF away from the snake. Dont try to kill or capture it. If it is dead and can be safely taken with the patient that is fine. Remember that a dead snake can still bite you and that the bite of a dead snake is usually worse than the bite of a live one because a dead snake will not control the amount of venom released. Then; b: keep the extremity below the heart, keep the heart rate down, keep the bite area clean, no cutting, if you do use a constricting band keep it loose enough to allow a finger to slip underneath and get to medical help. If you are not the one who is bitten the only other thing to do is watch airway and breathing, may have to do rescue breaths. There isnt really a kit needed for any of that.

As far as build your own or pre-built, either has advantages. If your time isnt valuable you could research the contents of an IFAK and then source them independently. For most people it will usually be cheaper to buy a kit as a whole. I would build personally because I have medical training and know exactly what I want and need and what is "snake oil."

As far as desert specific items, i could be wrong but im almost positive that the number one killer in the desert is dehydration and/or heatstroke. Carry things to keep yourself cool and hydrated. A good book on desert survival techniques would probably be worth all of the IFAK's in the world. There are probably some good videos on youtube about self treatment. Know how to stop yourself from bleeding to death and how to splint a bone. If you need much more than that you will probably be too injured to help yourself anyways. Also remember that it can drop below freezing at night in some deserts, so in addition to keeping cool in the daytime you need a way to keep yourself warm at night. If your ranch has good cell coverage or you have a satellite phone you should be pretty well set.

If I were in your place I would want:
A cool looking hat, keep sun off of your head and somewhat warm at night
Good knife, nuff said, add fire steel
Plenty of water, maybe a way to sanitize water i find?
High energy snacks, if you have room
Emergency blanket or equivalent way to stay warm at night
Cell and GPS
Length of paracord, many uses
Guns of your choice, since this is an AR forum I will say an AR
First aid, 4x4's, cling, cravats, quik clot if you must, CAT if you really must, a few OTC meds (aspirin, aleve, immoduim, benedryl, maybe topical hydrocortisone, triple antibiotic ointment)
A good map, maybe one that included topographics and if you could find an accurate map of the area that had cell coverage that would be even better. (if you were injured it would be good to know where you can go to summon help. Would suck to walk 5 miles in one direction if the hill 1/4 mile the other way had coverage.)

Cant think of anything else right now.

Doc Safari
03-12-12, 14:21
Lots of good info. Thanks, Gents.:cool:

3 AE
03-15-12, 15:35
Here's a basic "Blowout" kit at a good price to add to your IFAK. I removed the needle when I got mine, since I don't have the medical training to use it. I added the latest Quik-Clot and a wound seal kit to back up the "H" bandage. http://www.austereprovisions.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IC3K%2D1

cjnuckols50
03-17-12, 13:21
medicman816 pretty much said it all already. My two cents would be to build your own kit. After the medical training I was able to take the things I learned were you don't really need all the wiz bang stuff a pre built IFAK comes with. You can go a long way with gauze, pressure bandages and a tourniquet. Then build on kit to meet the specific needs of your AO. Building your own kit will be a lot more cost effective anyways. I was able to get a good deal on most of my stuff at amazon.