PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 upper

g-men10455
03-09-12, 14:44
I'm looking for the 411 on this upper
http://www.galatiinternational.com/product/MDB762PRF.html
I contacted the company to find out if there are any restrictions with surplus ammo shot out of this barrel. She didn't give me a clear answer but recommended "commercial" ammo. Should I pass on this?
Thank you.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

Alaskapopo
03-09-12, 17:21
I'm looking for the 411 on this upper
http://www.galatiinternational.com/product/MDB762PRF.html
I contacted the company to find out if there are any restrictions with surplus ammo shot out of this barrel. She didn't give me a clear answer but recommended "commercial" ammo. Should I pass on this?
Thank you.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin
I would say yes pass. If you want better ballistics get the .300 blackout and if you want cheaper shooting get a 5.45 upper. The mag situation with 7.62x39 sucks.
Pat

g-men10455
03-09-12, 19:19
I already have the 5.45x39 and a 6.8. I was looking for an alternative to my ak which I'm not too fond off.

af22raptor
03-09-12, 23:53
I have a Colt 16 inch M4 7.62x39mm that I purchased back in 1999 but I had a real bad luck with magazines till I found C-Products 30rd mags in 7.62x39mm. I know that C-products are no longer in business but Yankee Hill Machine carries a mag that I suspect is or was made by C-products and found a company that seems to be the current incarnation of C-Products A.S.C. LLC. Its been my experience that Brass and Non-lacquered ammo work best. For the best accuracy I found that 147gr FMJBT 308 worked great for me out of both my Ruger Mini-30 and the Colt Upper. I currently have 6 of the C-Product mags without any issues and I am planning to get a few of the ASC to try and if they work out get more. The Caliber is solid and as long as you get an upper that is well build you should not have any issues.

Alaskapopo
03-10-12, 00:54
I have a Colt 16 inch M4 7.62x39mm that I purchased back in 1999 but I had a real bad luck with magazines till I found C-Products 30rd mags in 7.62x39mm. I know that C-products are no longer in business but Yankee Hill Machine carries a mag that I suspect is or was made by C-products and found a company that seems to be the current incarnation of C-Products A.S.C. LLC. Its been my experience that Brass and Non-lacquered ammo work best. For the best accuracy I found that 147gr FMJBT 308 worked great for me out of both my Ruger Mini-30 and the Colt Upper. I currently have 6 of the C-Product mags without any issues and I am planning to get a few of the ASC to try and if they work out get more. The Caliber is solid and as long as you get an upper that is well build you should not have any issues.

But why buy into a problematic design. Mags are an issue and even if there were some ones that worked, magazines are a consumable item they wear out. I say if you want a .30 caliber AR15 get the .300 Blackout. Why deal with the headachs of the 7.62x39 in an AR.
pat

af22raptor
03-10-12, 14:44
But why buy into a problematic design. Mags are an issue and even if there were some ones that worked, magazines are a consumable item they wear out. I say if you want a .30 caliber AR15 get the .300 Blackout. Why deal with the headachs of the 7.62x39 in an AR.
pat

Well the main reason that I have stayed with 7.62x39mm is the cost of ammo and the availability. When I first purchased the upper I also purchased a USA Magazine 10rd mag that never had an issue the problem was with the higher capacity ones. When I found the C-products one I was able to finally get 30rd mags that I could rock and roll with. The Upper has always been a secondary fun upper that I keep for plinking and one of these days hunt with.
The 7.62x39mm AR Platform can be a solid choice as long as you have reliable mags and that issue I believe has been resolved. If the platform was not viable I believe Colt would have never gotten into it and other manufactures would not be keeping it alive. I have been keeping my eye on the 300 blackout, 7.62x40WC, 6.8spc and others but none of the other calibers price point cannot compete with 7.62x39mm. The other calibers do not offer that much extra performance than a good hand-loaded 7.62PACT.

That is my 2 Cents ;)

Alaskapopo
03-10-12, 15:41
Well the main reason that I have stayed with 7.62x39mm is the cost of ammo and the availability. When I first purchased the upper I also purchased a USA Magazine 10rd mag that never had an issue the problem was with the higher capacity ones. When I found the C-products one I was able to finally get 30rd mags that I could rock and roll with. The Upper has always been a secondary fun upper that I keep for plinking and one of these days hunt with.
The 7.62x39mm AR Platform can be a solid choice as long as you have reliable mags and that issue I believe has been resolved. If the platform was not viable I believe Colt would have never gotten into it and other manufactures would not be keeping it alive. I have been keeping my eye on the 300 blackout, 7.62x40WC, 6.8spc and others but none of the other calibers price point cannot compete with 7.62x39mm. The other calibers do not offer that much extra performance than a good hand-loaded 7.62PACT.

That is my 2 Cents ;)

I understand if you already own a 7.62x39 and you have mags why you would not want to change. But for a person looking to get into a new caliber, to me it seems to make very little sense.
pat

djegators
03-10-12, 18:01
What don't you like about your AK?

af22raptor
03-10-12, 23:28
The ballistics of 300 Blackout and 7.62x40 WC are very close to 7.62x39mm and as long as you get the better mags it makes more sense to go with the 7.62pact since you can get more ammo for less money making it a better bang for the buck! Georgia Arms makes an AWESOME 125gr Nosler Ballistic tip round in 7.62Pact that is very accurate and reliable in both the AR and Mini Thirty. Hornady is making the Metal Case Match ammo and for what I read its very accurate as well. I have been researching the 7.62Pact for years and loading possibilities are endless just like in 300Blackout.

what is your main issue with the caliber?

With the Remington/Bushmaster ACR having 7.62Pact barrels coming online soon the Magazine issue will get better specially with a PMAG version comes out.

g-men10455
03-11-12, 01:50
I live in the very constricted state of California, I'm also a peace officer. Most people outside of this state are aware of the way our rifles are nutter with the magazine release button/lock. This makes the magazine change very complicated. With the AR we don't have that problem because is an approved rifle. It's not that I don't like the ak, I don't like the magazine lock on it. That is the reason why I when with an AR in 5.45x39 instead of the ak-74.

strojo
03-11-12, 09:49
I've had nothing but good luck with the ASC 7.62x39 mags in all three of my 7.62x39 uppers--12" & 14.5" I put together myself and a 16" YHM.

g-men10455
03-11-12, 09:53
Which capacity mags? I keep readying anything over ten may cost malfunctions.

davidz71
03-11-12, 21:57
I bought a Colt 16" 7.62X39 during the assault weapons ban. The Colt 5 round mags didn't cut it so I ordered a couple Triple K mags and they turned out to be trash. I tried a 20 round USA mag which looks like an AK mag with a welded 2 inch or so straight area which fits into the mag well. It is not as quick as a straight or slightly curved 30 round mag but it works every time for me. I subsequently bought several more 20 rounders and seven 30 rounders. They all work fine. I don't think USA is in business any longer but I keep my eyes out for even used ones.

af22raptor
03-13-12, 00:51
I bought a Colt 16" 7.62X39 during the assault weapons ban. The Colt 5 round mags didn't cut it so I ordered a couple Triple K mags and they turned out to be trash. I tried a 20 round USA mag which looks like an AK mag with a welded 2 inch or so straight area which fits into the mag well. It is not as quick as a straight or slightly curved 30 round mag but it works every time for me. I subsequently bought several more 20 rounders and seven 30 rounders. They all work fine. I don't think USA is in business any longer but I keep my eyes out for even used ones.

My story is very similar to yours except I was never able to get anything beyond a 10rd mags from USA Mags. Its a shame that they went out of business since they made a workable mag before the ban. I still have the 4 Triple K mags that never worked I could not see myself trashing them since they cost 50 dollars each. I keep them as a reminder that Garbage can be very expensive. :)

davidz71
03-13-12, 23:13
My story is very similar to yours except I was never able to get anything beyond a 10rd mags from USA Mags. Its a shame that they went out of business since they made a workable mag before the ban. I still have the 4 Triple K mags that never worked I could not see myself trashing them since they cost 50 dollars each. I keep them as a reminder that Garbage can be very expensive. :)
One of the two Triple K mags I bought would go too far up into the magazine well. This would jamb the bolt rather than allowing it to strip a round off the top of the mag. I compared both magazines and found that the part designed to lock the mag or stop it from going any further was not punched out like the other mag. I don't know how to describe a better picture but it is like cutting a slot in the mag and then punching it out slightly from inside the mag. I never got around to fixing it.

jjw
03-14-12, 16:28
5/22/2012. RELIABILITY UPDATE/NEW BBL
i have just put another 150 Rd's of 7.62 thou the new hm 11.5" bbl today
runs just fine. no malfunctions what so ever. 15 good mags from yhm also
think i will consider this a keeper
now to find 5,ooo rds of 7.62 for the shtf storage.

i have a colt 16" h/b upper (which adco is thinning as we speak)
i have a 11.5" yhm just ran 100 Rd's thru it. (only 4 hrs old). will put 3-400 thru it. on my backyard range, off my deck.

both run 101 % with the long f/p from m-1 sales in white wright Texas

people here who say i "heard" it doesn't work have probably not shot 1. my 16"colt has over 800 Rd's on it.
no jams
no cleaning
no corrosion
no mag failures

hornady ammo with the ballistic tip,in side of 11/2" at 50 yards. good enough for me
i use the new mags form "Old c-products" i buy them from yhm so i have a very reputable firm between me and them.

i wish "i heard/read/t-t a wannabe at tos" could be stricken from these boards. lashes with a wet noodle should follow. if i post on this board that something is running its because i have done it. also others such as Crossgun, T.D.L. Lynn Freshly, who i shoot with.

whats not to like ???
ar platform
.30 cal bullet good to 350 yds
mags that work
did i mention cheap ammo
all but 3 parts are common
i can not take the recoil of an ak-47 due to injuries in "nam" to my cheek. this is a good fall back. love the bullet btw. u should see what a jhp does to a 5 gal water jug full of jello. (cherry flavor)

hope this helps

GOGuns09
03-14-12, 18:35
Many opinions, lots of prior experience by the posters.

My experience with: ESC barrel, ARP Super bolt, ASC mags in several sizes; runs fine.
Cheap plinking ammo, Fusion / CorBon etc. for serious, great compromise for real ranges.
Not the latest, greatest, no PR; good gun. Not my only, but not going anywhere.

supatrucka
03-17-12, 13:02
Hi this is my 1st post. i just bought a 762 upper from Model 1 with 2 30 rd ASC mags and did a 60 rd dump with Tula and had no problems.

308sako
03-20-12, 14:06
Hi this is my 1st post. i just bought a 762 upper from Model 1 with 2 30 rd ASC mags and did a 60 rd dump with Tula and had no problems.

I'll bet that hooked you up!

g-men10455
03-25-12, 01:40
I just bought & yet fired a YHM upper. I keep reading I may need to buy an "enhanced" firing pin & stiffer hammer spring, Is this correct?

"Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of democracy"- Alexander Hamilton

supatrucka
03-25-12, 08:33
I just bought & yet fired a YHM upper. I keep reading I may need to buy an "enhanced" firing pin & stiffer hammer spring, Is this correct?

"Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of democracy"- Alexander HamiltonI just pinned it to my windham and it ran fine for me. But when my son was firing he had 2 FTF(fire)soft strike and I told him just pull the trigger don't hesitate I then took his 2 rds and put them them my mag and they fired.

ryr8828
03-25-12, 08:58
How was your shopping and buying experience? I've been scared to buy anything from model 1 sales due to all the horror stories out on the internet about them.

supatrucka
03-25-12, 09:07
I had no problem with them I had to wait a few weeks for the upper, I would recommend them

jjw
03-26-12, 20:07

"Real liberty is never found in despotism or in the extremes of democracy"- Alexander Hamilton

yes u will but yhm sells them i use it. the reliability is awesome
they only sell the entire bcg but its a good 1. this gun seems to need the longer f/p even tho colt specs the same firing pin as the .556 in their catalog. may have been the problem years ago. cant say just a guess. also they stand 101% behind their sales and any product.

mail me if u need more but u did just fine.

g-men10455
04-07-12, 01:41
I shot a box of WW with no issues but I had all kinds of misfired with Tula & corrosive ammo. Fast forward after receiving Model1 enhanced fp it fired everything I feed it. Now to order a bunch of mags.

FN in MT
04-07-12, 08:40
I've got an old Colt Sporter in 7.62 x39 and my experience mirrors several others here.

WISH I'd bought a few more of the USA Frankenmags. AK mags, cut then welded to an AR compatible upper mag assy. ONLY mags I ever had that worked 100%.

I've got a few of the old C Products mags but haven't tried them. Seldom shoot the old Sporter anymore. AK ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be. Rather shoot 5.56 and have it run flawlessly as well as NO corrosive ammo cleanup afterwards. And far more accurate too.

FN in MT

g-men10455
04-07-12, 12:50
I used the ACS mags without any issues.

Dr69er
04-07-12, 19:02
Built this custom AR-15 Upper in 7.62x39mm Caliber for my Son...

Forged 7075-T6 Upper Receiver w/ M4 ramps that I melted-in
and polished nicely...

Stainless Steel 416R, 1:10 Twist, 18" Bbl., midlength gas,
mid-weight contour,pinned combo FS/Brake...Tactical
Folding Bipod.

Wearne Rings, Simmons Whitetail Classic Scope w/ 6.5-20x44 set-up
Mil-Dot rectical (great scope for the money).

Std. BCG,MPI Tested, Std. X39 Carp't Alloy...

New ASC 10 round magazines.

I did not get a chance to do any mods to the firing pin or to the bolt
when the upper was first test fired, hence it had trouble Igniting the
really hard Russian commercial ammo, feeding,ejection and
accuracy were otherwise excellent...but she really shined
with Winchester 123gr. (100 yards) target ammo
(brass cased) first five rounds, although it was a bit
under powered vs. the Russian ammo. Shots
were counter clockwise from 3 O'clock position,
see pic. below:

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65/Doc69er/IMGA0030.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_9GqbLF1kw&context=C4aded1bADvjVQa1PpcFPu9rtd-Gwvl2SxZcOeUboSJ8JfEoXjB1Y=

http://illirianengineeringc.ipage.com/