PDA

View Full Version : Budget CIRAS?

CCFD1414
03-10-12, 00:43
I'm looking to get a CIRAS plate carrier, but don't want to spend that much money, are there any CIRAS plate carriers for people on a budget?

Strider5.56
03-10-12, 01:11
I have a black one (Land Version) with Tactical Assault Gear M4 mag pouches, pistol pouches and a maxpedition roly poly dump pouch. I had this setup as an extra for S.W.A.T. and did not use it. It has hung in the closet for the last 4 or 5 years.

infidelprodigy
03-10-12, 12:44
I've go a non-releaseable (LE model) CIRAS in MJK Khaki. Size large. PM me if you have any questions about it.

Failure2Stop
03-10-12, 12:49
The CIRAS is not a "Plate Carrier" per se, but rather it is a full BALCS/SPEAR armor carrier that also fits plates.
It was pretty cutting edge in 2003, but there are better armor carriers out now, and far more better plate carriers if that is what you are looking for.

IRONFINS
03-10-12, 13:40
He asked about a CIRAS. He is looking for CIRAS. Not asking your OPINION on CIRAS. Why does someone always high-jack a thread with, well I know the topic, but I want to change the subject. BS. CIRAS does hold plates also. If he wants CIRAS, then it is his personal preference. CIRAS is still being used. It is one of the most universal designs. True CIRAS is not cheap. There is a cheap knock off version that will fall apart to actual use. There is nothing better than being told "What your looking for isn't as good." Usually it is followed up by "I have this for sale that is so much better." Don't drink the Kool-Aid. Get what you want. Your the one who is going to use it.

wilco423
03-10-12, 14:16
F2S's point IS on topic. The OP said "CIRAS plate carrier.". The CIRAS is generally thought of as an armor carrier. This muddies the water slightly. The plain fact is that a CIRAS is an overly expensive plate carrier, if that's all it's used for. Perhaps the OP can clarify what exactly they're looking for.

Might wanna calm down a bit there.

SWATcop556
03-10-12, 20:06
Ironfins check the attitude. F2S earned the IP title so his opinion matters. The titles used here designate experience of which his is verified.

He didn't take the thread OT he just added factual information where as your post added nothing other than a subtle "**** you" to an IP/Mod. I suggest a different approach if you feel the need to post again.

zodtgr8
03-11-12, 03:23
You can find genuine Eagle CIRAS carriers on eBay for around the 350ish price point...

The only CIRAS cut armor carrier I can think of off the top of my head that's under that price point is Velocity's Operators' Assault Vest at $330 from OPT.
http://www.optactical.com/vesyopasve.html

If you need just a straight up hard plate carrier there are a lot of really great ones out there that won't cost an arm and a leg like the Mayflower APC, Crye JPC, BFG LMAC, etc....

Armati
03-11-12, 12:02
Also take a look at BAE Systems ECiPSE. It is the current issue for SOF and fits BALCS cut armor. Again, Ebay is most likely your best bet.

CCFD1414
03-11-12, 21:23
Honestly I only want/need it for carrying ammo, hydration, misc pouches, I don't really need it for armor. I'm not a fan of chest rigs.

kmrtnsn
03-11-12, 21:39
Honestly I only want/need it for carrying ammo, hydration, misc pouches, I don't really need it for armor. I'm not a fan of chest rigs.

If that is your need then I'd recommend something like an Arktis LBV instead, even though in the current military climate LBV's have fallen out of favor, I think they still have their place. The Arktis models, in my experience are the best designed, most copied LBV's out there.

patriot_man
03-12-12, 08:10
Well if you're set on the CIRAS look for a second hand one on ebay or TOS or even airsoft sites :p. What feature of the CIRAS makes you want to get one?

I think F2S brought up a good point stating that the CIRAS was an old design. There are definitely lighter and better designed vests out there that provide better ventilation and mobility vs the armor full carrier. He's merely informing the OP that there may be other options out there that are cheaper and more current than the CIRAS but in the end it's up to the OP if he wants to take that into consideration.

JSantoro
03-12-12, 10:31
I don't really need it for armor.

Let's save some time: In that case, you don't need a CIRAS, or anything that looks like one, or any armor vest, period.

Armor vests actually make terrible bases for simple load-carriage, because they only provide proper support for attached gear if the armor is in the spaces provided for armor. Without armor, it's just extra unsecured layered cloth that will bunch, sag, allow pouches to flop about (thereby creating MORE sag and tiring out the wearer because of all the extra movement over time), and generally look like the nylon version of a prolapsed colon.

If you didn't know that, fold that info in so you can make an appropriate equipment decision, presuming that the desired endstate is to get something that fulfills your usage requirements. Some have mentioned LBVs, which are purpose-built to provide load-carriage all by themselves while still being able to be worn over armor, at need.

If the desired endstate is to get something that looks like a CIRAS to fulfill a mere aesthetics requirement (which is what it reads like, at this point), we need to shut this thing down because that runs contrary to the purpose of this subforum.

To the salesmen: Your public advertising was edited out. Use the EE to pump your wares, if you have enough posts under your belt to be able to post sales threads in it, or use PMs. Keep that stuff out of the public portions of the forum not intended for that info, please.

Vendetta
03-13-12, 10:25
Let's save some time: In that case, you don't need a CIRAS, or anything that looks like one, or any armor vest, period.

Armor vests actually make terrible bases for simple load-carriage, because they only provide proper support for attached gear if the armor is in the spaces provided for armor. Without armor, it's just extra unsecured layered cloth that will bunch, sag, allow pouches to flop about (thereby creating MORE sag and tiring out the wearer because of all the extra movement over time), and generally look like the nylon version of a prolapsed colon.

If you didn't know that, fold that info in so you can make an appropriate equipment decision, presuming that the desired endstate is to get something that fulfills your usage requirements. Some have mentioned LBVs, which are purpose-built to provide load-carriage all by themselves while still being able to be worn over armor, at need.

If the desired endstate is to get something that looks like a CIRAS to fulfill a mere aesthetics requirement (which is what it reads like, at this point), we need to shut this thing down because that runs contrary to the purpose of this subforum.

To the salesmen: Your public advertising was edited out. Use the EE to pump your wares, if you have enough posts under your belt to be able to post sales threads in it, or use PMs. Keep that stuff out of the public portions of the forum not intended for that info, please.

This pretty much sums up everything here. You don't want to hold armor, you don't need a plate carrier. That's the bottom line, I'm going to agree that it seems more of a "cool guy" look than what your actual needs are for this piece of kit. If not, check out the BCM 03 MSF Chest Harness, has pouches for ammo and a hydro carrier.

TehLlama
03-13-12, 20:09
Based on the OP's second post (hydration, ammo, some space for odd pouches), I would still recommend a small chest rig, or the BCM 03 Split Front unit.

I too have a CIRAS, and I even have armor - yet it lives in a closet, and I've pretty much relegated it to conditioning and airsoft use.

Wicked
03-13-12, 22:11

A very respected training guru once commented, "Wearing a PC with out plates is gay, as in homo, peter puffing gay."

Just sayin' what he said.

But, I agree. I'd just say it in a nicer way. It wouldn't have the same effect though. In addition to all the completely legitimate reasons already noted, a flaccid plate carrier completely screams 'airsoft-mall ninja' without the armor. Unfortunately, I see a limp PC at classes every so often. Don't be that guy.

In this case, I'll cast another vote for the BCM 03 chest harness.

Wicked
03-13-12, 22:18
Double post

CCFD1414
03-13-12, 23:13
I'll probably just get the BCM chest rig, but if I go with a PC, which one would you recommend, I'm looking at a Mayflower APC and a BFG LMAC, and if I get a PC I will run plates

Failure2Stop
03-14-12, 09:45
I'll probably just get the BCM chest rig, but if I go with a PC, which one would you recommend, I'm looking at a Mayflower APC and a BFG LMAC, and if I get a PC I will run plates

I assume that you want MOLLE/PALS for mounting stuff, given your earlier posts.

I have used quite a few, here are my favorites:
SKD PIG: http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Plate-Carrier-p/pig.502.htm
Tyr Basic: http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/armor-carriers-ballistic-vests/general-plate-carrier/
Crye JPC: http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-BLC04202LG0/Jumpable-Plate-Carrier%e2%84%a2-(jpc)

Wicked
03-14-12, 12:51
If you must get a PC on limited funds; you might consider this for less than $200: http://www.gallsgovops.com/style.html?assort=galls_gov&style=BP508

The Velocity Systems Plate Harness is as great a value 'budget' carrier as you'll find, especially among those that include cummerbunds. It's a quality piece of kit.

keller
03-14-12, 20:57
Doesn't sound like a CIRAS is what you need. That said you can find them in the $100-200 range (good-new). I've seen these as surplus in 3 color desert, ranger green, and khaki. If you think the vest is expensive wait til you buy the balcs inserts.

Beachboy
03-24-12, 09:11
Like earlier mentioned the mil / LE load bearing vests offer an option if you don't need plates or armor, but can be expanded and worn over soft armor if needed.
There are a wide variety out there, some very good (Eagle and others) some middle of the road and some imported junk that will fail by busted stitching, pulled gromets, etc.
And again, EE or Ebay are good places to look.
Most folks (me too) have a variety of different methods of load carry and use them as appropriate.
Good luck with your quest.