PDA

View Full Version : MARLIN CAN BE SO NICE WITH SOME LOVE

Mr. Smith
03-10-12, 08:34
I love the lever guns and this is the last one off the bench.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/IMG_2174.jpg

It is a great little 44mag 1894 and you just can not go wrong with a 16.5 inch 44.
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/IMG_2172.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/IMG_2170.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/IMG_2162.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/IMG_2161.jpg

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy358/SuperiorFirearms/Lever%20Love/IMG_2158.jpg

What do you think about the little carbine?

montanadave
03-10-12, 08:45
Put me in the "two thumbs up" column.

Beautiful.

Army Chief
03-10-12, 08:53
Already voted with my wallet. Twice. ;)

AC

lethal dose
03-10-12, 08:55

What do you think about the little carbine?

i THINK you need to build me one. if i wasn't in the process of closing on a house and trying to find the last of the available 5.56 out there, this would be on my "to do" list. beautiful work, as always, my man.

Mr. Smith
03-10-12, 09:01
Thanks guys.

Mr. Smith
03-10-12, 09:03

AC

I love to have guys that get my work it is like potato chips one is just not going to be the end of it.
Thanks for knowing what nice is AC.

Canonshooter
03-13-12, 17:24

AC

I'm getting to the point where I think I need to do the same, at least once! I'd take mine in .357....

Mr. Smith
03-13-12, 18:45
I'm getting to the point where I think I need to do the same, at least once! I'd take mine in .357....

If you need me just let me know I would love to help you out.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-13-12, 19:17
What is the deal with the crown? What are the advantages?

mallowpufft
03-13-12, 19:33
What did you do to it? Crown looks quite a bit different than my 336. Other than that what makes this build so special?
I've been oggling one in .357 for gita and shiggles for a while. I love lever guns and one of those little fellers looks fun.

Mr. Smith
03-14-12, 07:54
The gun in the pics has had a great deal of work on it and in it.

To the crown the depth keeps it protected if you were to drop it and I cut 4 inches off of the barrel it had to be crowned.

The gun got my full attention in and out I cut the lop down , fit a pad, action work, sight work, sling mounts, internal work to slick the action and refinish the stocks in a hand oil.

Watrdawg
03-14-12, 08:16
I've been thinking about having something done very similar to what this one looks like. I love the straight stock and was wondering if it were possible to add a big loop lever to it instead of the small one that comes with that stock? Not a big huge lever but the size that Marlin has.

Mr. Smith
03-14-12, 08:37
It can be done but getting the part can be a little tuff at times.

Watrdawg
03-14-12, 08:38
I'm actively looking for a rifle and as soon as I get the one I'm looking for it will be on it's way to you for just a bit of work!!

Mr. Smith
03-14-12, 08:43
What caliber do you want for you rifle?

Watrdawg
03-14-12, 09:33
45/70 is what I'm looking for. I've been on gunbroker and checked out a couple of local Gun dealers. Once I find a good candidate then I'll get it.

mallowpufft
03-14-12, 11:16
The gun in the pics has had a great deal of work on it and in it.

To the crown the depth keeps it protected if you were to drop it and I cut 4 inches off of the barrel it had to be crowned.

The gun got my full attention in and out I cut the lop down , fit a pad, action work, sight work, sling mounts, internal work to slick the action and refinish the stocks in a hand oil.

Thanks! Other than the crown and the stock looking not quite Marlin factory it's hard to see what's been done to a lever gun.
Not to derail the thread but since we're talking about slicked actions and such... do you have any experience with the Wild West bear proof extractor and big loop lever? I've been thinking about adding them to my 336 but would appreciate the opinion of someone who knows their way around lever guns.

Mr. Smith
03-14-12, 12:33
Thanks! Other than the crown and the stock looking not quite Marlin factory it's hard to see what's been done to a lever gun.
Not to derail the thread but since we're talking about slicked actions and such... do you have any experience with the Wild West bear proof extractor and big loop lever? I've been thinking about adding them to my 336 but would appreciate the opinion of someone who knows their way around lever guns.

There both good parts if thy fit your job.
I use the ejector all the time in the shop I think that is the part you are talking about.

LRB45
03-14-12, 15:57
Are the best candidates to be worked on the older Marlins or are the newer Marlins gtg? Just wondering since it seems like people complain more about them since they were bought out my Remington's parent company which I cant think of right now.

Mr. Smith
03-14-12, 17:41
Hands down the older guns are better over all but in the end I can get them were thy need to be old or new.

hatt
03-17-12, 19:57
That's nice! I'd love to give my .357 that treatment. But don't want to put all that money into the old girl.

brickboy240
03-21-12, 11:53
Wow...that is fantastic.

I have a 20" Marlin 1894 in 44 mag that I re-stocked with fancy walnut and put a Lyman tang peep sight on. Not nearly as handy as your shorty rifle, though.

Is that a 44 mag?

Also, how short is that barrel? Is that still the "legal" length?

That would make a really nice ATV/wild pig gun....for sure!

- brickboy240

Mr. Smith
03-21-12, 12:02
Wow...that is fantastic.

I have a 20" Marlin 1894 in 44 mag that I re-stocked with fancy walnut and put a Lyman tang peep sight on. Not nearly as handy as your shorty rifle, though.

Is that a 44 mag?

Also, how short is that barrel? Is that still the "legal" length?

That would make a really nice ATV/wild pig gun....for sure!

- brickboy240

Thanks
The barrel is 16.5 and the LOP is 12 it is one small rifle.

brickboy240
03-21-12, 12:08
I actually have 2 Marlin 94s...an 18" in 357 and the 20" 44 mag.

For some reason...the 44 mag is TONS more accurate than the 357 with every round I have tried.

With factory 240gr soft points at 50yds (using the stock sights) I could get a 5 shot group that was one ragged hole, the size of a half dollar. Yeah...shocked me, too. With other loads, the 44 mag Marlin is also a very tight grouping rifle for a "cowboy" lever gun. Never seen a 94 Winny shoot like that! LOL

Have you used it for hunting, because I have found the 44 mag Marlin to be VERY effective on wild pigs. With 44Spl cowboy loads, my 13 year old daughter finds it a hoot for plinking and getting raccoons that get in garbage cans. It is a very versatile rifle...no doubt.

- brickboy240

Mr. Smith
03-21-12, 12:11
I actually have 2 Marlin 94s...an 18" in 357 and the 20" 44 mag.

For some reason...the 44 mag is TONS more accurate than the 357 with every round I have tried.

With factory 240gr soft points at 50yds (using the stock sights) I could get a 5 shot group that was one ragged hole, the size of a half dollar. Yeah...shocked me, too. With other loads, the 44 mag Marlin is also a very tight grouping rifle for a "cowboy" lever gun. Never seen a 94 Winny shoot like that! LOL

Have you used it for hunting, because I have found the 44 mag Marlin to be VERY effective on wild pigs. With 44Spl cowboy loads, my 13 year old daughter finds it a hoot for plinking and getting raccoons that get in garbage cans. It is a very versatile rifle...no doubt.

- brickboy240
I built it for a customer but I have done lots of them over the years thy are great pig guns.

If you would like your gun to shoot better I can help you with that as well.

Bolt_Overide
03-22-12, 00:44
ok i cant ****ing take it anymore... do mine.

Mr. Smith
03-22-12, 08:41
ok i cant ****ing take it anymore... do mine.

When will it be in the shop?
I would love to work with you.

Find ManBearPig!
03-25-12, 17:24
Please stop trying to make me purchase a lever gun, posting all these pictures just isn't fair to my wallet. :D

brickboy240
03-26-12, 10:35
Careful...

Buying a lever-gun will be much like buying a 1911 or Mauser. Before you know it....you have a safe full of these things! LOL

Seriously, my collection started with inheriting Dad's 1957 made Model 94, then came the Marlin 44 mag, then it's 357 brother, then a Model 39 for my daughter and a pawn shop rescue Savage 99 in 243.

For some odd reason...I also want a Henry Golden Boy.

Its a sickness...I tell you! LOL

- brickboy240

Mr. Smith
03-26-12, 12:57
Nice never gets old just never.

matemike
03-26-12, 14:13
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq86/matemike05/IMG_0806.jpg

Love mine!

1894C

and

1894SS that is quite accurate as already mentioned. Therefore, deserving of a 2-8X Leupold scope.

brickboy240
03-27-12, 10:08
Very nice.

The 44 magnum lever action is amazingly effective on wild pigs in the 75-150lb range. I have never dropped a deer with my 44 mag Marlin, but with its accuracy and effectiveness....I don't doubt it will do the job on deer as well.

With 44 Spl Silvertips, it also makes a VERY effective short range varmint gun for raccoons and coyotes that get in the trash cans. I would also suspect those 44Spl Silvertips would make for good home defense rounds. Almost no recoil and very low noise.

- brickboy240

stifled
03-29-12, 18:18
Every time I see one of your threads I have to repeat to myself, "My lever guns are fine how they are, my lever guns are fine how they are..."

Going to get expensive for me at the point that is no longer sufficient. Ah, well.

bones
03-30-12, 18:31
Nice - Love to have one :)

Watrdawg
04-12-12, 13:30
I just sent off a 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 for Mr. Smith to work his wonders on. I bought this gun for my son and I to hunt hogs and black bear with. Can't wait to see the finished product! I'll post pics when finished. Actually if you want to Mr. Smith go ahead and post them when you finish up.

Army Chief
04-12-12, 14:36
He (obviously) built mine, so I can definitely speak to the fact that the results are going to satisfy. Small gun, big -- really, really big -- bullets. What's not to like? =]

AC

Watrdawg
04-12-12, 15:34
True on all counts. Gun, Bullets and Builder doing great work. I've looked at every page in his Lever Love gallery and drooled over all of those rifles! I can't wait to get the finished product in my hands. The only thing that makes it bearable is that I will be turkey hunting over the next 3-4 weekends and after that I won't be able to do any hog hunting for another month or so.

Denny
05-19-12, 17:27
I live just across the rive really sweet can you tune my Marlin Indiana deer rifle ????

Mr. Smith
05-21-12, 08:21
I live just across the rive really sweet can you tune my Marlin Indiana deer rifle ????

I would be glad to help you.

Army Chief
05-21-12, 08:39
Word to the wise: if you're contemplating a project with Joe, you probably need to start working now to get it into his bench rotation. As more and more shooters have become aware of the unique nature of the work that he is churning out of his discreet east-Louisville metalworking studio, the wait list is growing.

AC

Rob Haught
05-21-12, 12:16
I love Joe's lever guns! I have a dandy little 336 in 30-30 and have a couple more projects in the works. If you are looking for lever gun work, look no further!

hotbiggun42
05-30-12, 11:54
That is a good looking carbine! I have a old 336A in 35 remington that needs some work done to it. Anyone know a good gun smith?

Mr. Smith
05-30-12, 14:34
That is a good looking carbine! I have a old 336A in 35 remington that needs some work done to it. Anyone know a good gun smith?

If you look at the post it is what I do I hope that helps you.

hotbiggun42
05-30-12, 15:20
If you look at the post it is what I do I hope that helps you.

Yes sir I re read your post and checked out your website. You do beautiful work! This might not be the right place to ask but Do I just call you guys and discuss the service you could offer to give my 1957 336A new life?

Iowa Don
01-02-13, 00:06
Not to be rude but why are the forearm and butt stock of different colors? And the sight I'm not sure of, but my brush hunting experiences for the last 50 years here in Iowa have taught me that I am almost always going to fall once at least (if I'm hunting the places others won't go because it's "too rough" - bah!) once. And the weenie sights Marlin puts on are so close to useless that I was tickled pink when I discovered Brockman. If a guy can wreck these I'll bet he could out-wrestle a polar bear! Anything that sticks up without surrounding protection is an endangered species to me. I think it was Old Man Keith that said that the 1917 Enfield front sight was the greatest ever invented, and in that the Garand and then the M-14 followed suit I think he had a point. Your metalwork looks good with a nice even finish, which is more than can be said for many who refinish guns.