PDA

View Full Version : Carpal Tunnel Surgery

usmcvet
03-10-12, 16:31
I have carpal tunnel in both hands and have for over 10 years. After qualification a few months ago my right hand, wrist and forearm hurt for 3 weeks. So I decided to have the surgery suggested 8+ years who. I had it Monday, 5 days later I'm not as useless but still pretty lame. For those of you who've had surgery how long before you were shooting again.

I have carried a .40 for the 20 years as a cop but I am thinking about giving a G17 and M&P 9 a hard look for the reduced recoil. Again any thoughts and particularly first hand experience would be appreciated.

I thought I would be back to light duty Monday but just typing this is uncom:lol:fortable.

Robb Jensen
03-10-12, 18:40
I had each hand done. I waited 5 months for my right hand and 6 months for the left. I'm right handed. I had my right one done in 2000 and my left one in 2008. No issues and the surgeries were a great success. It did take a while to get my hand strength all the way back. I used one of those blue things that guitar players use to strengthen my fingers and one of those gyro ball things which strengthens the wrist and forearm muscles for grip strength.

usmcvet
03-10-12, 18:46
Thanks Robb. I realized how weak my hand was today when I wanted to snap my finger and scold one of the kids.

Hmac
03-10-12, 23:24
I've done hundreds of carpal tunnel releases. The recovery rate to full grip strength can take weeks, months, or even up to a year and can be widely variable between people. A study a few years ago in one of the orthopedic journals found that the only consistent variable relative to predicting a longer recovery was whether or not the patient was getting the operation on worker's comp.

Opinions vary between surgeons, but in my opinion early mobilization is a key factor in quicker recovery. Not necessarily squeezing a rubber ball for strength, but a good set of active range of motion exercises. I think long term post-op splinting is not only unnecessary, but counterproductive.

usmcvet
03-10-12, 23:38
Thanks Doc. I the initial visits 8 to 10 years ago were covered as workers comp. I didn't want the surgery then. I made a claim a few months ago and was denied. I am not sure if the denial will stick or not. Even with a $5k deductible I thought it was worth it on my dime. I am just a little concerned about this taking longer than I planned to recover from. I assume in the study the workers comp folks were out longer. I've always gone back too quickly. Following knee surgery and following chemo 7 and 2 years ago. But this is different holdingba gun and wrestling are not even an option.

Dienekes
03-10-12, 23:42
My wife had both wrists done a few years back. She exercised diligently; one hand came back quicker than the other, and in both cases it was a matter of months. For quite a while a .22 pistol was quite enough for her. Her S&W Airweight was painful for a while but now she can shoot it ok although somewhat infrequently. Her 1911 doesn't seem to bother her much, and K frame .38s are tolerable.

It took a while, though.

I would think that the grip of the gun would have quite a bit to do with perceived recoil. some of the newer plastic semi autos with interchangeable backstraps would probably be helpful in getting something that felt better to shoot.

usmcvet
03-10-12, 23:47
I'm going to email my local gun shopnabout about a Gen 2 G17.

Gramps
03-11-12, 00:11
I had mine done a while back. Afterwards, I was damn glad I didn't fret over how long until anything. It just felt damn good not waking up at night with the worst pain ever in my fingers. My wife at the time, was a work comp coordinator, and I was turned down on work comp due to I admitting to previous pain before that job. Well she new what to say, and when we got a "State" arbitrator on the conf call, the wife was able to get them to pay for the surgery. I was to the point where I was going to pay for it anyway, just to put an end to the pain. Wish I had done it earlier.
As Larry would say, "GITERDONE"! Times a wasting.

usmcvet
03-11-12, 08:55
Thanks Gramps. I just need to know I can shoot and use both hands in a fight before going back to working for my small town PD. Even on light duty I will have lots of contact with the public.

Hmac
03-11-12, 09:08
But this is different holdingba gun and wrestling are not even an option.

Yeh, the recovery time frame for being able to draw and fire a weapon isn't going to be very predictable - too many variables...but I agree that being out on the street among the town folk actually enforcing the law could be problematic.

Gramps
03-11-12, 10:24
Thanks Gramps. I just need to know I can shoot and use both hands in a fight before going back to working for my small town PD. Even on light duty I will have lots of contact with the public.

I was doing some wiring harnesses for some trucks that we were changing from left hand drive to both right and left driver for street sweepers. (Not by Thompson) It got to where I could hardly grip things without a lot of pain, so I figured I was screwed either way. But I was hanging in there until they got some one else to work with and train so I could quit for the surgery, but that being Mr Nice backfired and they let me go and didn't want to pay for the surgery either. I hope you don't reach that point where you can't fire your weapon, or get into hand to hand before the surgery, and be a lot worse off due to being injured by some tard on the street, by not being able to defend yourself or anyone else due to pain before surgery either. It could be "Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't". I would hate to that happen too, because you waited to long. Hopefully you aren't like my son, in such a small town that being down one officer hurts the other two left. Them paying for this is something THEY need to look at for "Public Safety" too, both way's. If something in the line of duty, goes south due to this NOT being done, it could turn a whole lot worse with the right lawyer either way.

Best of luck to you. Thanks for serving the public. Stay safe....

usmcvet
03-11-12, 12:27
Gramps how did you know where I work!:p

There have been 4 of us full time for the past 20+ years. Last week at town meeting our budget was cut and there are 3 of us now. With me out 2 and a hand full of part time cops.

Gramps
03-11-12, 22:51
DAMN. Same thing were he is, but please work 50+ hr for 40 hr pay. One car doubles as the town "Fumigator", it smokes so bad. The Mayor's doing fine though. My mom just passed away and he came over for her memorial this weekend, but almost had to tell them sorry so sad, gotta go anyway.
Good luck.