PDA

View Full Version : new 45acp DA/SA purchase

fowler
03-11-12, 07:00
After much testing and handling plus shooting I ruled out HK first. I did not like the mag release or cheap feel &looking controls or the way it shot. I am not impressed with the HK 45c or USP 45acp polymere automatics. The FNC 45acp was to fat as was the GLOCK21. The SW MP 45and HK felt about the same bottom tier. The best and most proven and reliable&accurate was the SIGSAUER P220R. These are proven platforms and super accurate reliable. Or local went small town went to the P220 45R 5 years ago and have no problems or jams or parts breakage. They used 1911,s before that had to be tweaked maintained. The 45acp is the chiefs favorite cal. The sheriff department uses the Glock 21. Cocked and locked did not work out for the PD with the 1911,s. The fit and finish of SIG and 100% reliable out of the box ,plus the way it feels&points in the hand were the deal makers for me. HK and Sig were the same price on sale and the others a few hundred less.

DocHolliday01
03-11-12, 07:03
OK :confused:
Nice first post.

Ptrlcop
03-11-12, 07:28
Huh?

I would never consider a small town's PD as a valuable source of intel on who makes the best service weapon. First, PDs in general have very low round counts on their guns. Second, a small PD will not own a statistically significant number of pistols. There are lager agencies that have issued sigs in both 9 and 45 and armorers for those agencies will tell you the 220 has a higher rate of parts breaking.

Why does the chief like .45? Chiefs are rarely SMEs on such things. To be honest your poorly written post sounds like a "plastic guns suck, real men carry .45s" statement.

If you are asking for an opinion, the M&P 45 is a great gun at a good price, and the HK can hold its own with 1911s that cost twice as much.

dirt_diver
03-11-12, 08:16
Good on the OP. Working weekends, spamming a forum for Sig and all.
If only they put in this much hard work into their firearms...

ralph
03-11-12, 08:31
Op;
Suggest you do a search on this board on the Sig P-220, before claiming it's better than a HK45, 45c, Read more, post less...

forgiven
03-11-12, 08:47
I carry the 220 and I would be thrilled, beyond all belief, to carry a USP .45, HK45, Glock 21, or MP 45...

Currently in the process of trying to get approval to carry a personal weapon as my primary.

HKGuns
03-11-12, 08:57
While there is nothing wrong with a P220, other than weight, I'd hardly consider HK low tier. But, it takes all kinds to make the world go round, so have a blast.

However, it isn't like a 220 is svelte in comparison to the others mentioned.

gtmtnbiker98
03-11-12, 09:07
WOW, the OP's post is full of all kinds of fail. Sounds like a Sig Sauer commercial without the Rainbow Titanium!

Read more, post less.

Microalign
03-11-12, 09:44
After much testing and handling plus shooting I ruled out HK first. I did not like the mag release or cheap feel &looking controls or the way it shot. I am not impressed with the HK 45c or USP 45acp polymere automatics. The FNC 45acp was to fat as was the GLOCK21. The SW MP 45and HK felt about the same bottom tier. The best and most proven and reliable&accurate was the SIGSAUER P220R. These are proven platforms and super accurate reliable. Or local went small town went to the P220 45R 5 years ago and have no problems or jams or parts breakage. They used 1911,s before that had to be tweaked maintained. The 45acp is the chiefs favorite cal. The sheriff department uses the Glock 21. Cocked and locked did not work out for the PD with the 1911,s. The fit and finish of SIG and 100% reliable out of the box ,plus the way it feels&points in the hand were the deal makers for me. HK and Sig were the same price on sale and the others a few hundred less.

I've used three P220s over the years at work. None of them were as reliable or resistant to dust/debris as Sig's 9mm and .40S&W variants. The feed ramp is steep, and the action depends on the magazine to literally pop the cartridge out of the the mag before the slide slams on the case head to chamber the cartridge. A very haphazard way of feeding cartridges in comparison to most pistols which feed cartridges up the ramp and slide the case rim under the extractor. The P220's feeding action also puts much more wear and tear on the extractor since you will often get the Beretta slam chamber effect. You can see this first hand by loading up plastic dummy rounds into several Sig pistols. The 9mm and .40s do no tear up the rounds, but the P220 will shear off rims and get FTE. When a hardened case rim is used the extractor has to be pushed out of the way for each chambering. This wears out springs and extractors fast. It got to the point that we were replacing P220 extractors every 5-10k rounds. Combine that with Sig's poor quality controls as of late and you have a recipe for disaster. Therefore, I would not choose a .45 Sig over other alternatives.

The HK 45 series is probably the best overall DA/SA .45acp available. You would go down in histories blunders if you fail to buy one because you didn't research the subject well enough.

F-Trooper05
03-11-12, 14:14
http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu2/FenrirMX/Cool%20Story%20Bro/coolstoryNixon.jpg

NCPatrolAR
03-11-12, 16:35
Ummmmmm; yeah.