PDA

View Full Version : Crossbreed OWB Input

DWood
03-11-12, 09:33
I'm looking for input on how stable the gun is in Crossbreed OWB holsters. It seems like the pistol will tend to flop away from the body due to the design. How stiff is that piece of leather? I'm looking for a small OWB for a small 9 mm when I don't / can't pocket carry (jeans).

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/MiniSlide/tabid/95/List/0/ProductID/17/CategoryID/1/Category2ID/2/Level/2/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

chadil1ac
03-11-12, 13:32
My honest opinion, after having one of there IWB holsters, is that the holster you are looking at will not make a good OWB. The leather will wear in and get flexible after a while. It may seem stiff at first but it will wear out. That is why it makes a good IWB because it can form to you.

With an OWB, you want a lot of retention because you don't have a belt over top helping to keep it in the holster. There will not be a lot of retention with that design I would venture to say.

My advice, look at an all kydex or all leather OWB that forms all of the way around the gun and has retention on the trigger guard. Having a flat piece of leather on one side and kydex on the other will not hold it if you turn the holster upside down.

DWood
03-11-12, 15:55
That is the answer I expected. the photo on the web site looks like the gun is flopping away from the body. Thanks.

chadil1ac
03-11-12, 16:09
That is the answer I expected. the photo on the web site looks like the gun is flopping away from the body. Thanks.

No problem.

I noticed that too. If you were to conceal carry that, the butt would be sticking out a lot.

What are you looking for in a holster? I am sure there are many knowledgeable people here that could help.

DWood
03-11-12, 17:12
I was just curious and wanted some input from Crossbreed owners. You answered the question. I will be sticking with my RCS and PSS holsters which hold the gun nice and close. Thanks.

chadil1ac
03-11-12, 18:49
My fault, I didn't realize your objective. I was replying like I would havd with someone that was picking out there first holster. Obviously that's not the case :D

Good luck and God Bless.

navyabf
03-30-12, 14:33
I have been using a crossbreed OWB now for about 2 months. I love it. I am a small frame guy and I can wear a loose t-shirt and it does not show. I was carrying a SIG P250 compact. It is comfortable and had no problem with retention. Thats just my 0.02.

ddnguyen9
03-30-12, 14:48
My honest opinion, after having one of there IWB holsters, is that the holster you are looking at will not make a good OWB. The leather will wear in and get flexible after a while. It may seem stiff at first but it will wear out. That is why it makes a good IWB because it can form to you.

With an OWB, you want a lot of retention because you don't have a belt over top helping to keep it in the holster. There will not be a lot of retention with that design I would venture to say.

My advice, look at an all kydex or all leather OWB that forms all of the way around the gun and has retention on the trigger guard. Having a flat piece of leather on one side and kydex on the other will not hold it if you turn the holster upside down.

I agree with chadil1ac. I have a crossbreed IWB and I don't think the OWB would work very well. For my IWB, my belt adds additional retention. I would not be comfortable wearing the same style OWB... if it's the same style.

I recommend Raven Concealment System for Kydex. If you can wait about 16-18 weeks, you should do RCS. Their Kydex is absolutely amazing. In my opinion, RCS is the best holsters you can buy for concealed OWB carry. Below is my Glock 26 Gen4 in a RCS.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/a71e3874.jpg

chadil1ac
03-30-12, 17:00
I agree with chadil1ac. I have a crossbreed IWB and I don't think the OWB would work very well. For my IWB, my belt adds additional retention. I would not be comfortable wearing the same style OWB... if it's the same style.

I recommend Raven Concealment System for Kydex. If you can wait about 16-18 weeks, you should do RCS. Their Kydex is absolutely amazing. In my opinion, RCS is the best holsters you can buy for concealed OWB carry. Below is my Glock 26 Gen4 in a RCS.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l155/davidnguyen1151/Guns/a71e3874.jpg

Good advice as well. The OP did say in one of his reply posts that he will be sticking with his RCS holster.

My fault OP for thinking that you were looking for advice past the Cross Breed. Looks like you already have good taste in the holster area :D

ddnguyen9
03-30-12, 17:31
Looks like you already have good taste in the holster area :D

Thanks man. I want my equipment to be the best there is. Why settle for less when your life might depend on the equipment you have?

Tennesseevolz
03-31-12, 19:00
I love the crossbreed iwb, but their owb looks to be lacking- have you looked at some of the Galco Gun Leather for owb op?