PDA

View Full Version : whats required to run the 7.62x39

turboedbug
03-11-12, 12:32
i know the barrel is different. but what else? i have heard mags are difficult to find.....but i heard that a few years ago anything change?

Iraqgunz
03-11-12, 12:54
Have you bothered to search or do any reading at all?

VIP3R 237
03-11-12, 13:05
What IG said ^^^^^^

i know the barrel is different. but what else? i have heard mags are difficult to find.....but i heard that a few years ago anything change?

Please clarify as far as what platform you are implying. Im assuming the ar15 if so then barrel bolt and magazine, but there are numerous threads about the difficulties of running that particular caliber in the ar15.

308sako
03-12-12, 21:36

Barrel, Bolt & magazines.

Magazines are available and so is all else needed.

Gotta Run!

Hunter Rose
03-14-12, 14:10
An AK-47? To run reliably.

Failure2Stop
03-14-12, 14:30
As said above, to launch 7.62x39 from an AR you will need a new barrel, bolt, and magazines and will probably have to tinker with buffer weights and springs.

However, the AR is not the best platform for that cartridge.
The biggest issue is getting magazines that work, as the taper of the 7.62x39 does not work well with the straight magwell of unmodified AR lowers.

For 7.62x39 performance I would look at the .300 BLK or 6.8 SPC.
Ammo will be more expensive, but you have a much higher probability of it actually working.

If you are stuck on the 7.62x39 cartridge, I would recommend a platform built for it.

ryr8828
03-14-12, 17:11
As said above, to launch 7.62x39 from an AR you will need a new barrel, bolt, and magazines and will probably have to tinker with buffer weights and springs.

However, the AR is not the best platform for that cartridge.
The biggest issue is getting magazines that work, as the taper of the 7.62x39 does not work well with the straight magwell of unmodified AR lowers.

For 7.62x39 performance I would look at the .300 BLK or 6.8 SPC.
Ammo will be more expensive, but you have a much higher probability of it actually working.

If you are stuck on the 7.62x39 cartridge, I would recommend a platform built for it.

I think you're right and you already mentioned ammo cost, but I'd add optic choices. Ar's are so much better for optic mounting choices.

That's what keeps me looking at 7.62x39 uppers every now and then even though I already have an ak and probably too many rifles as it is.