PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight AR for Wife?

Tomac
03-11-12, 14:46
My wife is petite and not very strong (recovering from kidney cancer that's now in remission) and while she likes my STG-556 (bullpup), the design itself is significantly heavier than an AR.
What I'm wondering is if a lightweight AR (14.5" w/pinned FH?) might be easier for her to handle despite the longer OAL.
Suggestions, ideas, input??? Thx!...
Tomac

MidwestRookie
03-11-12, 14:53
A lw 14.5 will probaby be in the 6-8 pound range (probably closer to 6)..is that manageable for her?

Tomac
03-11-12, 14:58
A lw 14.5 will probaby be in the 6-8 pound range (probably closer to 6)..is that manageable for her?

I'm considering all possibilities at this time. She can shoot my 9lb STG but it's an effort for her despite most of the weight being close-in.
I've been away from AR's for some time so I'm not current on what's available.
I'm not worried about recoil but weight is the primary factor. Just off the top of my head I was thinking 1.4" w/pencil bbl and an Aimpoint Micro.
Any specific mfgr/item suggesitons?
Thx!...
Tomac

hawk45
03-11-12, 14:58
I just built a 16" LW BCM for my wife and it's lighter than anything else I have. Just note you are only going to save about 3-4oz going with the 14.5" and having to deal with the hastle/cost of the pinned muzzle device. As opposed to just looking at weight.. look more at balance. A heavier balanced rifle will feel lighter than a unbalanced rifle. But outside of the minor detail.. yes, go with a LW barrel.

Spurholder
03-11-12, 15:05
How about one of these?

Colt AR6720 Lightweight Carbine. Six pounds.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

Evil Colt 6920
03-11-12, 15:08
I just built my wife a rifle. Shes petite as well. Rifle weighed 6lbs 7ounces empty. I used DD for all upper parts, including a 16" LW barrel. Had a Spikes lower from a previous build. Weight was my main concern but I didnt get extreme with it. It is much easier for the wife to handle than my 9 pounder. You could go 14.5 with pinned FH if trying to maximize weight savings. For me, I didnt think it would make a big enough difference IMO to give up the versatility of a non pinned FH. The DD 16" LW barrels are very nice and plenty accurate.

Tomac
03-11-12, 15:09
How about one of these?

Colt AR6720 Lightweight Carbine. Six pounds.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

Weight-wise it seems similar to the DPMS Lite 16.
How does DPMS stack up quality-wise nowadays?
I've been away from AR's for awhile (blasphemy!;)), hence my noobish questions.
Tomac

AKDoug
03-11-12, 15:10
There are a couple good builds in the Custom Builds section that have done the same thing you are looking at. Put "lighweight" and "wife" in the search box and enjoy the reading. There are some really good ideas out there.

Enjoy every day with her and spare no expense to keep her happy.

Tomac
03-11-12, 15:12
I just built a 16" LW BCM for my wife and it's lighter than anything else I have. Just note you are only going to save about 3-4oz going with the 14.5" and having to deal with the hastle/cost of the pinned muzzle device. As opposed to just looking at weight.. look more at balance. A heavier balanced rifle will feel lighter than a unbalanced rifle. But outside of the minor detail.. yes, go with a LW barrel.

I would very much like for her to have the opportunity to test different configurations but this neck of the woods in Idaho doesn't offer much opportunity.
While I agree about the importance of balance, weight is *very* important in light of her physical condition.
Tomac

Tomac
03-11-12, 15:13
There are a couple good builds in the Custom Builds section that have done the same thing you are looking at. Put "lighweight" and "wife" in the search box and enjoy the reading. There are some really good ideas out there.

Enjoy every day with her and spare no expense to keep her happy.

Thx, I'll do that! :D
Tomac

AKDoug
03-11-12, 15:13
DPMS is simply not in the same league as DD. I would never recommend one for somebody looking for a good to go defense carbine.

If a range plinker is your only goal, it might be just fine. If she desires to go to carbine classes or compete, you money would be better spent on the DD carbine.

ryan
03-11-12, 15:16
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39599

Tomac
03-11-12, 15:27
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=39599

Thx! I've already bookmarked that thread along w/the others under a "lightweight" & "wife" search. :)
Tomac

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-11-12, 15:39
I put this togher for my wife. We have since swaped the sight for the micro model. In hindsight I would have gotten her the 14.5 pinned with a battle comp.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn119/ICANHITHIMMAN/002.jpg

kmrtnsn
03-11-12, 15:42
Here is the one I just built,

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100213

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac347/kmrtnsn/DSC_0006_5802.jpg

I'll weigh it tomorrow on a postal scale and update the thread with the overall weight.

Tomac
03-11-12, 15:46
Here is the one I just built,

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100213

I'll weigh it tomorrow on a postal scale and update the thread with the overall weight.

I'm hoping for a total unloaded weight of between 6.5-7lbs w/Aimpoint Micro (no BUIS).
I like the idea of a 14.5" w/pinned BC.
Tomac

kmrtnsn
03-11-12, 15:58
I'm hoping for a total unloaded weight of between 6.5-7lbs w/Aimpoint Micro (no BUIS).
Tomac

My estimate, based on component weight is under 6.5lbs.

MistWolf
03-11-12, 16:04
There are four places you can save weight on your AR- Barrel, Stock, Handguard and Accessories.

The barrel is your easiest choice. Simply pick a pencil profile and don't agonize over barrel length. 16 inch is your simplest choice. 14.5 inch practically demands that you commit to a particular configuration for the upper.

The list of stock choices is longer. The two I am familiar with is the MOE & CTR. I chose the CTR for the lock and the QD cups and their location for mounting a sling. After using it, I've found that the only reason to choose the CTR is the sling mounts. Sometimes when changing stock length I'd forget to apply the lock and didn't even notice.

Handguards is wide open as there is a wide variety to choose from, with cost, quality, usefulness and mount designs to sift through. I have experience with two handguards- the MOE and the PRI carbon fiber Delta freefloat tube.

I really like the MOE. They are tough, feel good in the hand and don't get hot during shooting. So far, not being a free float design has not had any affect on shooting. I can consistently hit clay pigeons off-hand at 100 yards and can tell when I pull a shot. I don't know how much they weigh. They seem heavier compared to aftermarket round handguards but I like the MOEs much better.

The PRI Delta handguards cost me nearly $400, are stiff, tough and I like how the shape fits my hand. I have no use for rails on the rifle I mounted them to. I did not use a scale to weigh any handguards, but with the rails removed, the Delta feels lighter than most other railed handguards I hefted in my hand. They also remain cool no matter how hot the barrel gets and the vents actually work to pull air through to wick away the heat. The down side is the heat waves affect sight picture.

To me, accessories is very simple. Use an Aimpoint H2 optic and mount a Surefire 300 on a Mossie Tactics light mount. Mount a sling with Mount N Slot QD cups. Use the lightest BUIS practical. Skip all the rest of the accessories.

One place you can save a couple ounces is in grip choice. The MIAD is a wonderful grip and and I like it in it's largest configuration. But a MOE works just as well for me on a carbine. Again I haven't weighed the grips, but the MIAD feels heftier in hand than the MOE. Not a big deal, but an ounce or two here and there ads up.

There isn't much practical weight to be saved anywhere else. Lighter carriers and buffers will result in the rifle needing to be tuned to use specific ammuntion. Standard forged receivers are the lightest and ounce for ounce the strongest and most durable. The only way to go lighter is to start making lightening cuts for added cost and minimal gain. Small parts, including lower parts are what they are. Standard configuration parts are the lightest and no notable weight savings can be had with lightening cuts. Same with receiver extensions. Lightening cuts could be made but again at added cost for minimal gains.

As far as balance goes, unless using extremely heavy parts such as a 24 inch bull barrel, they balance themselves out very well.

Think KISS. Building a lightweight carbine is nothing more than a cost effective exercise in common sense

3 AE
03-11-12, 16:24
How much are you willing to spend on your carbine? Do you plan on buying a complete rifle or assemble it from the different groups? It would help narrow the search for the appropriate fit.

Bob Reed
03-11-12, 16:30
Hello,

First and foremost, I hope your wife makes a full recovery.

I'd personally stay away from the off-brands and find her a COLT AR6520, or, if you want to really get her something special and lightweight - then I'd go with a Special Production COLT from Specialized Armament, like their LE6920 Lightweight Operator http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/LE6920_Lightweight_Operator-913-2.html

GeorgiaBoy
03-11-12, 16:41
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/6787334520_3edd101df3_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/73307770@N04/6787334520/)

Mine is 6 pounds, 12 ounces. While their may be builds that are a few ounces lighter, I think that benefit of a build like mine is that you save several hundred dollars over buying a rail lighter than the Magpul MOE handgaurds, if money is a concern.

BCM 14.5 midlength lightweight upper, Magpul MOE Stock, Grip, and Handguards, Aimpoint H1 in DD Mount, Streamlight TLR3.

Without the Aimpoint and TLR3, it weighs 6 pounds, 3 ounces.

kisskaren
03-11-12, 16:45
What a coincidence! I just wrote some about my wife's new toy.
I think you just need to build a simply beauty with a BCM/DD 16" pencil barrel, 16' middy shoots very very soft. Make sure don't add any weight to the front. Good luck man!
:haha::haha:

Tomac
03-11-12, 17:07
How much are you willing to spend on your carbine? Do you plan on buying a complete rifle or assemble it from the different groups? It would help narrow the search for the appropriate fit.

I would prefer to keep total cost under $1K (minus optic).
I don't anticipate this rifle would see anywhere near the use/abuse mine do so ultimate ruggedness isn't required.
Tomac

BrigandTwoFour
03-11-12, 18:23
I built a rifle for the future wife, pretty much following the line of GeorgiaBoy. She is petite, but strong (we work out together pretty routinely).

BCM standard LW 16", MOE hand guards/grip/stock, but used an XPS-2 I had laying around. Also used a VTAC Mini-L4 light in IWC SMC mount.

My goal wasn't ultimate lightness, though, so I have other little bits on there that add weight here and there like VLTOR A5, BAD ASS 45 degree, and MOE forward sling point.

Total weight (unloaded) comes in around 7 lbs. Thus far she seems totally happy with the weight (and I've been VERY happy with the weapon's handling ability).

I'm sure weight could be trimmed by using the T-1, and lighter components.

lethal dose
03-11-12, 20:07
i'd track down a lightweight slickside carbine gassed 14.5 upper. if you are opposed to the sbr thing, i'd pin a battlecomp (assuming you don't foresee ever changing things up). as far as a handguard goes, the troy 7.2" alpha rail is gonna fill the role VERY well. grind off the d ring, etc. and you're good to go. i'd leave the fsb but grind the bayonet lug and swing swivel off. if you don't want any sights at all, just throw a low pro gas block on there. if you're feeling frisky, you could use a jp bolt designed for 3 gun (this, of course, should only be considered if you plan on NEVER using it for self defense). as for the lower, use an old school CAR stock... they're LIGHT. other then that, use low cap mags, etc. good luck, bro!

ridgerunner70
03-11-12, 20:50
Tomac

I just purchased a DDm4 V1 and it weighs 6 and 15 ounces after I put an aim point t-1 on it; it will be around 7.3. My DPMS is over 9lbs.

rkba01
03-11-12, 22:02
BCM ML 16" LW, BattleComp, Troy XTR 11", T1 on LT660HK, Magpul BUP, VTAC L4 in Danger Close Low-Pro.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae234/rkba01/ar/vlcsnap-2012-03-11-21h33m27s31.jpg

MidwestRookie
03-11-12, 22:35
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-MID-14LW

I think your best bet is to go with this upper (with pinned BC, done properly by BCM themselves) and a MOE handguard, along with a MOE grip and stock on whatever lower you end up with.

I'd also look into that new ALG ACS trigger for a little nicer trigger pull at a fairly small price.

Kokopelli
03-11-12, 23:29
I thought you were talking about as trade, until I tear the post... Ron

3 AE
03-12-12, 01:14
I would prefer to keep total cost under $1K (minus optic).
I don't anticipate this rifle would see anywhere near the use/abuse mine do so ultimate ruggedness isn't required.
Tomac
BCM has this in stock, 14.5" Mid Length Lightweight Upper Receiver Group w/ pinned A2 Extended Flash Hider,thumbs up to Midwest Rookie on this recommendation, BCM Bolt Carrier Group, BCM Forged Mil-Spec Charging Handle, Magpul Mid Length MOE Handguard, BCM Lower Receiver Group(Blemished) w/ M4 butt stock. Total price, $931 plus $29 Shipping. Fits your requirements. Don't hesitate, people are starting to get anxious about the future.

CPtheWightKnight
03-12-12, 02:43
Tomac,

There are a lot of good points and suggestions made already but here is my 2 cents as a someone who requires a "light" rifle. I recieved plenty of help from the forum and friends and figured out what is best for me.

I run...
PSA 14.5" upper
7" gas system
A2 flashider
armalite lower
houge grip
standard m4 stock, with an aftermarket rubber buttpad
moe handguard and vertical grip
VTAC lightmount

This weights in somewhere around 6lbs.

The key to a light rifle for me really isn't the overall weight in ounces, but where the weight is located on the rifle. If you hold a 5lb weight to your chest for 5mins it's rather easy, but if you hold that same weight at arms length for the same amount of time it's a bit harder. The closer you can move the weight to your body the better. Cutting down on weight on the front of the rifle is key. By using a 14.5" barrel you cut down on ~3oz on the front of the gun. By using a 7" gas system you move ~4-5oz closer to your body. The lightweight handguard, lightmount, and vertical grip cut down on weight and also aid me in supporting and manipulating the weapon. The houge grip also aids in supporting and manipulating the weapon. Standard m4 stocks are about as light as it gets and the rubber buttpad helps with comfort while shooting and helps make the rifle a little more balanced.

Your wife probably likes your bulpup because the majority of the weight is at the rear.

Anyways, hope this helps and that everything works out ok.
CP

lifebreath
03-12-12, 12:13
I second (or third or whatever) a Colt 6720 Lightweight Carbine. In stock configuration with irons, it's a feather. If you want a RDS, put a Aimpoint T1 on it. My two boys shoot the 6720 with irons, and the younger one could handle it quite well shooting off-hand even last year at 11 years old.

Here shown with CTR stock, KAS RAS rails and VFG at 6 lbs 15.2 oz. With standard GI stock and M4 hand guards and no VFG, it will weigh in at about 12 oz less, or 6 lbs 3 oz.

http://www.lincolndiagnostics.com/public/doug/guns/AR15%20weights-3.jpg