PDA

View Full Version : Review of Cerakote on my AR15

MilitaryArms
03-12-12, 10:43
I bought a new Stag Model 3 for the purpose of having it Cerakoted. I've read a lot about Cerakote and I've tried other finish products like Duracoat, so I wanted to see how Cerakote stacked up.

Here's a video review including some tests I conducted of the finish including a salt bath, leaving the upper outside in the elements for 3 weeks without lube, a heat test, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Z_Zv2ue-w

Here's a picture of the rifle I had Cerakoted and that is featured in the review video.

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-JMsHcXm/0/M/i-JMsHcXm-M.png

Shiz
03-12-12, 10:53
Looks great. I am looking for something more durable than DC.

maddy345
03-12-12, 11:11
I really really really like Cerakote. I had a Sig P229 Elite Dark that I carried for over a year as my EDC. It was starting to show wear on the Nitron and the aluminum frame so I shipped it off to Jim Lynch at http://www.dvcguns.com/

He did an outstanding job and I couldn't have been more satisfied. I carred the gun daily for an additional six months and it was just starting to show wear. The cerakote is soem very durable stuff.

Before
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Krankypants/IMG_4922.jpg

After
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Krankypants/SigP229.jpg

ra2bach
03-12-12, 11:14
nice review. very thorough and the use of the thermometer was a good add.

not to let this devolve into "what color should I paint my gun" silliness but I noticed the color seems to be more of a match for the Aimpoint and rail covers than the Magpul components. IME, these components are similar to the Vltor FDE, which I use.

can you tell us what the specific name of the color was and are there any others that you considered?

The_War_Wagon
03-12-12, 11:36
I've had a 1911 and an AR cerakoted (two different companies did the work), and both look great; it seems quite the durable finish! Haven't put them through the stresses YOU did, but it's nice to see the finish holds up that well - thanks for going the extra mile on that for us!

MilitaryArms
03-12-12, 11:42
nice review. very thorough and the use of the thermometer was a good add.

not to let this devolve into "what color should I paint my gun" silliness but I noticed the color seems to be more of a match for the Aimpoint and rail covers than the Magpul components. IME, these components are similar to the Vltor FDE, which I use.

can you tell us what the specific name of the color was and are there any others that you considered?
They told me (Cerakote) on the phone that they were using a licensed Magpul color set when I told them I wanted something FDE. Reviewing their colors on their website they only list Magpul OD green and foliage green - no mention of FDE. Either it's so new (which could be) that it's not listed on their site yet or they used their Coyote color. I only gave them the direction to make the parts a flat brown, FDE if they had it.

It comes pretty close to matching the Magpul stock in color. The stock is just a shade darker, but it's hard to notice in person.

devinsdad
03-12-12, 11:49
Threads like these are why I've made up my mind to go with the Cerakoat for my latest toy build. I'm sure the rattlecan crew will be along soon, but after already investing the amount of money I have, cheaping out at the end seems silly. I was reading a magazine last night that mentioned a rifle being Cerakoated in Magpul FDE, I'm assumng it's a pretty new color as that was the only one I've seen so far like that....and it was nice.

Jaysop
03-12-12, 11:49
Its interesting that the Pmags wont drop free, was that also the case prior to the treatment?

MilitaryArms
03-12-12, 12:51
Its interesting that the Pmags wont drop free, was that also the case prior to the treatment?

The PMAG's have always resisted dropping free, even on my 6920. They come right out if I do the rotational flick or if I have the magazine perfectly horizontal to the ground. They don't fit in the mag well tightly or anything.

MistWolf
03-12-12, 14:38
Very well done. I had a set of Borla headers for my Jeep Cherokee done in silver Cerakote. The coating discolored a little, but never flaked, peeled or burned away even after tens of thousands of miles which included many long hours wheeling in the Mojave Desert. It resisted damage from mud, slush, dust, pond scum, road salt and everything else I drove my Cherokee through. It was my daily driver as well as weekend warrior. If anyone is familiar with the Cherokee, they'll know it's infamous for high underhood temperatures. Not only was I impressed at how well the Cerakote help up, but was amazed. It far surpassed my expectations

Vash1023
03-12-12, 14:48
the cerakote abrasive test just blows the competators out of the water, but thats only the bake on stuff, not the spray.

and it has to be applied properely to function on that level.

im going to do my 226 in the magpul FDE color soon.

NeoNeanderthal
03-12-12, 14:56
why would you make a stag look this nice??

MilitaryArms
03-12-12, 15:03
Here are some post testing pictures of the rifle after I've cleaned it up a bit. This should give you an idea of how the finish held up to everything.

Here's the hammer and bolt stop, the most wear I found which to me is to be expected:
http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-L6dZR4m/0/L/i-L6dZR4m-L.jpg

Here's the bolt/carrier:
http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-z49RVxS/0/L/i-z49RVxS-L.jpg
http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-rBGfgTK/0/L/i-rBGfgTK-L.jpg

Here's the brass deflector:
http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-2rBRFXx/0/L/i-2rBRFXx-L.jpg

Here's the left side of the receiver that I rubbed up against the tree (yes, the serial number has been removed in the image):
http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-3zpQxVj/0/L/i-3zpQxVj-L.jpg

500 rounds fired, all Brown Bear .223 steel cased ammo without any lubrication.

SW-Shooter
03-12-12, 15:05
Who is the applicator that you used?

MilitaryArms
03-12-12, 15:05
Who is the applicator that you used?

Cerakote. I went directly to them.

Jaysop
03-12-12, 15:19
The PMAG's have always resisted dropping free, even on my 6920. They come right out if I do the rotational flick or if I have the magazine perfectly horizontal to the ground. They don't fit in the mag well tightly or anything.

That hasn't been my experience thankfully, Maybe polishing inside of the magwells or some material removal on the mags may help.

How does this stuff hold up to lubricants and solvents? Especially on the carrier?

Just wondering, were you concerned with the tolerance build up coating the carrier and the inside of the upper?

MilitaryArms
03-12-12, 15:26
That hasn't been my experience thankfully, Maybe polishing inside of the magwells or some material removal on the mags may help.

How does this stuff hold up to lubricants and solvents? Especially on the carrier?

Just wondering, were you concerned with the tolerance build up coating the carrier and the inside of the upper?

Yes, the finish is capable of withstanding most common gun cleaning solvents. Here's a test that should help shed some light on how Cerakote holds up to various chemicals.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/resources/files/testing/ChemicalResist.pdf

1gunzenuf
03-12-12, 15:30
Nice looking rifle. Please post updates as to finish wear as you use it more.
Thanks,

MrSmitty
03-12-12, 17:50
500 rounds fired, all Brown Bear .223 steel cased ammo without any lubrication.

Wow, I'm surprized the Cerakote held up that well on the BCG without lube.

Thank you for the test/review!

a0cake
03-12-12, 18:22
I suppose I can see its merit as an external coating, but what I don't see is the desire to use it on the BCG and FCG. I understand that Cerakote has "dry lubricity," but if that's what you're going for, why not NiB or NP3 etc? (Not that I'm convinced any of that is needed or even beneficial at all). Either of those are more slick and durable for that application.

I would certainly consider Cerakote for external use on exposed rust prone areas of various guns, but I personally don't want it inside my AR's.

bullitt
03-12-12, 18:28
Glad to hear that Cerakote seems to be pretty robust. I decided to have my SBR Cerakoted. Its still in NFA prison, but when I bring it home I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up.

Vulture38
03-12-12, 18:55
That was very interesting. There is a gentleman not far from me who is an authorized Cerakote guy. I might just have to go talk to him.

jonconsiglio
03-12-12, 19:04
I suppose I can see its merit as an external coating, but what I don't see is the desire to use it on the BCG and FCG. I understand that Cerakote has "dry lubricity," but if that's what you're going for, why not NiB or NP3 etc? (Not that I'm convinced any of that is needed or even beneficial at all). Either of those are more slick and durable for that application.

I would certainly consider Cerakote for external use on exposed rust prone areas of various guns, but I personally don't want it inside my AR's.

I agree. Of the ARs I've seen coated, they all have a sheen to them that I just don't care for. Also, most jobs I've seen, and not just sprayed at home, have a thickness to them. I don't like adding anything that adds thickness, especially to the internals.

For me, it just makes more sense to hit it with some Aervoe for color. I don't see what Cerakote or Duracoat add to the rifle that anodizing doesn't. If it's just to camouflage the rifle, I'd prefer a hydro dip or to do it myself with Aervoe or even Krylon, which has a much flatter finish from what i've seen.

Just my opinion here… I do understand why some might just like the look of it, which is a valid reason as well to have it coated, just not one of MY reasons.

EDIT - I should add that I always appreciate MilitaryArms' reviews and think they're done very well. Whether I like the idea of Cerakoting or not, I do enjoy his approach to all reviews and find them educational.

Now he just needs to do a Busse vs. Chris Reeve GB vs. Strider video and I'll be content.

MrSmitty
03-12-12, 19:09
I suppose I can see its merit as an external coating, but what I don't see is the desire to use it on the BCG and FCG.

Even though it held up better than I thought, I would still have to completely agree with this.

R0CKETMAN
03-12-12, 19:23
Excellent job on the video. It appeared the quick reference chart showed Cera more wear resistant to IB??

MFWIC2
03-12-12, 19:28
I'll be picking up my M&P .40 C CeraKoted in OD (Frame) and the slide left black. With VTAC NS and Apex DCAEK.
Can't wait to get it. I pick it up Friday.
By the way nice looking AR.

R0CKETMAN
03-12-12, 19:29
I agree. Of the ARs I've seen coated, they all have a sheen to them that I just don't care for.

Agreed, but surely they have something flat.

Now he just needs to do a Busse vs. Chris Reeve GB vs. Strider video and I'll be content.

Chuck Norris carries INFI:D

MilitaryArms
03-12-12, 20:42
I have been acquiring some some interesting new knives just for review. I have to clear some things off my plate before I get to them, but I plan on doing a few knife reviews this year.

I'm glad you enjoy the videos and find them useful.

northern1
03-12-12, 20:54

Busse already won that.

#sand
03-12-12, 21:46
I have been considering a two-tone Cerakote on my 1911 when I finish "customizing" it. Thanks for making it a firm "yes".

jonconsiglio
03-12-12, 21:49
Agreed, but surely they have something flat.

I don't believe they do. I think what we see on firearms is as flat as it gets. It's a personal thing, if I'm refinishing a rifle, I want it as flat as possible.

I've had a few Nighthawks. Their Permakote (maybe it's a Cerakote with a different name? I don't remember exactly) is pretty decent and matte. Diamond Black (or IonBond), depending on the surface prep, can be very matte, unfortunately it can't be done to aluminum, from my understanding. It was much more durable than Permakote in my experience.

Chuck Norris carries INFI:D

I'm not getting the whole Busse thing yet. That INFI looks great and the few knives I've seen of their's are great, but it seems like they only do short runs of certain models then move on. Not like Reeve or Strider where I go to the site and pick the model I want.

If I wouldn't have spent so much money recently on a ton of stuff, I'd buy a Badger Attack or SJTAC today if I came across one. Of course, my knowledge of Busse comes AFTER I buy the Chris Reeve GB and a few other expensive items.

EDIT - Looking at it on the larger screen of my Mac instead of the iPad, that Cerakote job actually looks really good compared to many others I've seen. I have a lot of questions about this since I've tried it at home with Cerakote and Duracoat and recently have done 2 suppressors, 3 handguns and 5 rifles all last week with Aervoe spray paint. So far, I prefer the Aervoe since I can do my own camo. If I could get the same results with something like this, I'd be more willing to give it another try.

Home Duracoat job with some fine sanding (to remove sheen from final finish) and a lot of surface prep and oven time to get it done. Excuse the knives, only pics I could find quickly.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/DSCN0340.jpg

Aervoe - Got all the above mentioned weapons done in the same amount of time, roughly, that it took for just the M&P slide in Duracoat.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Painting/DSCN0406.jpg

Wake27
03-12-12, 23:42
Kinda wanna do my 870 now... And my BUIS and BAD.

strojo
03-13-12, 11:02
I had a 1911 Cerakoted (it was originally stainless) and it too has held up well to the abuse I've given it. Given you started with a Stag (who's finishes generally suck compare to other folks like Spikes, BCM, Mega, etc.), you've ended up with a gorgeous rifle.

Campbell
03-13-12, 11:24
I have been spraying cerakote for almost 4 years, and some of the colors are almost dead flat. On most colors you adjust the sheen by the amount of hardner used..

Most of my customers do colors/camo for looks... some actually use their weapons,:p but as far as a refinish job that is needed from wear, rust... you'll be hard pressed to find a more durable coating than cerakote.

Youngbp04
03-13-12, 16:58
OP, Great review. I will be interested to see how the coat wears with continued aggressive use.

You don't (at least I don't) see barrels cerakoted that frequently. This may be just for the simple fact that people don't know they can or they don't want to buy a bigger box to ship them in. The latter is a little tongue in cheek but it is definitely a high temperature piece of the rifle.

Confed-rifleman
03-14-12, 01:13
Just had a barrel (Satern stainless 6.5 Grendel), upper (Vltor MUR) and stripped lower (S&W M&P15) for a precision build I've been working on Cerakoted in FDE. No noticeable sheen even in sunlight or the brightest lights I have. There is more sheen from the Magpul furniture. Love the look it gives and I picked Cerakote for it's reputation for durability as this one is going to be used as a hunting rifle as well as target rifle.

Casull
03-14-12, 05:14
I'll be getting a full Cerakote job done to a KAC Mutt some time in June. Should be good. Thanks for the review.

plaskon
03-18-12, 12:15
Looks like two-tone is the way to go.

I'm having my uncle's .25 pocket pistol coated. Will post pictures when complete.

3gunshooter7681
03-18-12, 14:10
[QUOTE=jonconsiglio;1256018]I agree. Of the ARs I've seen coated, they all have a sheen to them that I just don't care for. Also, most jobs I've seen, and not just sprayed at home, have a thickness to them. I don't like adding anything that adds thickness, especially to the internals.

The gun shop I help out at does cerakote. The boss had is Kimber done and it didn't seem to have any extra thickness and went back together with no problems.

For me, it just makes more sense to hit it with some Aervoe for color. I don't see what Cerakote or Duracoat add to the rifle that anodizing doesn't. If it's just to camouflage the rifle, I'd prefer a hydro dip or to do it myself with Aervoe or even Krylon, which has a much flatter finish from what i've seen.

I have a savage 17 hmr that was hydro dipped and has been used about 10 times and its starting to chip on the barrel and crown.
The first pic is my 6.8 done in sniper gray.
2nd is a cerakoted smith and wesson red demo gun for the gun shows.
3rd is a xd we did the slide in od I believe and the frame in FDE.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

hammerhead1
03-18-12, 19:35
This guy does some really good work ...I have had a couple weapons done by him. All he uses is cerakote and can also vary the finish from dead flat to high gloss.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Crucible-Coatings/107720109355154

Dsm2nr
03-19-12, 11:15
They told me (Cerakote) on the phone that they were using a licensed Magpul color set when I told them I wanted something FDE. Reviewing their colors on their website they only list Magpul OD green and foliage green - no mention of FDE. Either it's so new (which could be) that it's not listed on their site yet or they used their Coyote color. I only gave them the direction to make the parts a flat brown, FDE if they had it.

It comes pretty close to matching the Magpul stock in color. The stock is just a shade darker, but it's hard to notice in person.

They actually have FDE and Magpul FDE listed on their site. 2nd page of brown / tan category.

VIP3R 237
06-06-12, 01:03
Hey MAC was your bcg micro slicked or just standard cerakote?

CaptainDooley
06-06-12, 08:23
How does the rattle can hold up on the M&P frame?

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Painting/DSCN0406.jpg

brickboy240
06-06-12, 10:58
Looks nice!

I had my daughter's 10-22 Ruger beater cerakoted in flat black and after 2 years of her and my nephew beating it around and dragging it through mud and sand and knocking it about...not one chip or scratch.

Their flat black seems very flat, if you ask me. Also it is not slippery like some spray coatings seem to be.

If my kid and her co-horts cannot tear it up....it is very tough! LOL

-brickboy240

VIP3R 237
06-30-12, 11:50
Here's my Rifle and Glock after being Cerakoted Burnt Bronze.

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/Jason_Prisbrey/jasonsar006.jpg

jared91
07-02-12, 20:37
Being a firearms finisher, I first started out with duracoat. Ive finished around 50 firearms in various color schemes. In my experience, I would have to say that duracoat is not to refinish or replace the finish, but is merely a tougher, more long term solution to changing the color of your firearm vs. Using krylon. It flakes easily, and scratches easily. I had done my cell phone in it, and all it has done on the metal of the phone is to flake off. It still holds up VERY well on the plastic pieces. I have had lots of problems with it, and it was not due to my prep work; I have lots of experience with automotive painting and body work. Once I started cerakoting, I was blown away at just how tough it is. I would honestly consider cerakote an actual long term REPLACEMENT finish, as it holds up to abuse very well. It doesnt flake off, and holds up to chemical wear very well. I have had nothing but great experience with cerakote.

El Cid
11-16-13, 18:31
OP - any updates on how the finish is holding up? Thanks!