PDA

View Full Version : AR Silencer Choice without all the BS?

ASH556
03-12-12, 12:33
Ok, so being a personal friend/acquaintance of Kevin kept me an AAC customer/advocate. As that tie is no longer there, I'm open to any manufacturer. List of priorities in order of importance from most important to least:

1. Weight Added
2. Lack of POI shift - I realize this is somewhat barrel dependent, but see requirement #1.
3. Length Added
4. Cost
5. Durability
6. DB reduction

Other thoughts:

Available Mounts - need to be "good" when the can's not on the gun
Multi-cal. I don't currently own anything in 30 cal worth putting a can on, but I may in the future and with can's like the AAC SDN6 around, the multi-cal thing becomes a consideration.

Primary host would be a DD 10.3 MK18. Secondary would be a 16" DD LW Recce.

Primary purpose is to make the MK18 more enjoyable to shoot for others (it doesn't bother me that much) and not totally kill my ears if I used it for HD. Secondary is to have on the Recce for hunting, since the word on the skreet is that silencers will be legal for hunting in GA next year, and .223 is a legal big game cartridge here.

So, taking all these factors into consideration and putting them in their proper places, what can do you buy?

Iraqgunz
03-12-12, 13:03
I really like my M4-2000. Having said that I want my next purchase to be smaller and yet still have a decent reduction.

I am looking at an Mini4 or Surefire Mini.

Watrdawg
03-12-12, 13:59
I've been thinking about the same issues. I'm going to be purchasing a 300blk upper soon and will need to purchase a Suppressor for it. I wish I would have thought about this before I purchased my M42K. I could have save d just a bit of money.

SteyrAUG
03-12-12, 14:00
For me the Gemtech HALO will always be my favorite simply because it doesn't require any kind of special adapter or tools to mount.

Noodles
03-12-12, 17:38
Unless you already own a 51T AAC silencer, I would personally skip the 51T and jump right into the 90Tooth new cans.

SR5 or SR7.

AAC has said they will support 51T for awhile, but it's certainly not going to be as long as the 90T system, so why jump in now? If you already own 51T, then go for it, between having the option of the Mini4, M4-2000, Mini-7, 762-SD, and 762-SDN6 it's a pretty solid choice.

For me, the mini cans are great in theory and pictures, but the Mini4 for instance is only an inch shorter and a couple ounces lighter than a "full size" and quieter M4-2000 / SR5. For police, mil, gov work where they don't have to pay a stamp it seems like a good call. But I do have the pay for the stamp, so it makes little sense for me personally. If it were significantly lighter or shorter I might think differently, it's just too close though.

fixit69
03-12-12, 19:50
I've been thinking about the same issues. I'm going to be purchasing a 300blk upper soon and will need to purchase a Suppressor for it. I wish I would have thought about this before I purchased my M42K. I could have save d just a bit of money.

I'm doing the same, but I bought a 7.62 after playing around with a few. Works good with 5.56 and 7.62.

OP, the only ones I've had a chance to play with is the Silencerco, YHM, and AAC. I know it sounds redundant, but I'm getting good performance out of the AAC 7.62 and the 51 tooth mount and don't get all the hubbub, bub.

I think a surefire or mini might meet your requirements, but just try out anything you might be able to get your hands on.

Patience grasshopper. That's what I always have to tell myself.

Chase45
03-12-12, 21:41
I'm a happy aac m4-2000 owner.

Surefires are real nice too.

Either are good to go in my book.

From what I've read POI shift surefire has the win.

I haven't been able to bench my rifle since I got my suppressor. But POI shift for My rifle and M4-2000 is minimal. I was 1 inch low at 100 yards off a backpack and a target nailed to a tree. That shift very well could have been ammo or even shooter

I meant to add my suppressor had rotational wobble when I first received it. I don't know if I've put it on enough times or carbon has built up in the suppressor enough, but it locks up tight now. Before it did I would turn till I couldn't anymore then turn the other direction. Worked good for me. I feel a lot better now that its locked up tight now though.

dudshep31
03-15-12, 20:32
I really like my M4-2000. Having said that I want my next purchase to be smaller and yet still have a decent reduction.

I am looking at an Mini4 or Surefire Mini.

^^this exactly. Everybody is going smaller with great results. No need for extra weight hanging off the front, esp if you're not using multiple cal.

Iraq Ninja
03-15-12, 23:46
The 762 SDN-6 surpasses my HALO on all accounts, other being able to mount on mil issue (and shimmed) bird cage suppressors. It works very well with 5.56 up to 7.62. I have yet to find a more versatile can, though anything able to shoot the same calibers with the same length should be good to go.

mtrmn
03-16-12, 14:48
My YHM 7.62 Titanium works quite well on my 308 AR platform and all my AR15s as well. 15 oz, QD works well, quietens about as well as any, and fairly cheap compared to most, simple as hell and little/no POI shift. Some guns POI moves about an inch and is repeatable, others it doesn't change by any measurable amount. I'm happy with mine.