PDA

View Full Version : A2 Rear sight question

ericridebike
03-12-12, 17:16
Hey newbie to A2 rear sights and have a question. Just picked up a used carry handle with A2 sight that I plan to chop down for rear sight. If I lay the handle on the table and look at the sight from above, the front part of the sight cants a little to the left. Is this normal & if not,what is the fix for it? My first A2 type sight, have used flip ups previously.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd178/ericridebike/IMG_0145.jpg

Thanks,
Eric

BGREID
03-12-12, 17:20
Looks normal to me. Why cut it down?

Ouroborous
03-12-12, 17:22
As far as I know, that's normal for the A2-it's how mine looks...

GeorgiaBoy
03-12-12, 17:37
Most A2 sights have TINY bit of play in them. This shouldn't affect your zero that much. If you notice that your groups are very inconsistent, that it may be enough to cause a problem.

ericridebike
03-12-12, 17:54
Looks normal to me. Why cut it down?

Going to cut down the handle to use as a back up iron sight & still be able to use my red dot optic mounted on the upper receiver rail.
Thanks everyone else for the info!

-Eric

tpelle
03-12-12, 17:57
Actually it makes no difference at all, as long as you are not using something like a hooded sight wit a lens, of a MicroSight. The aperture is pretty well right over the elevation screw, so the aperture is not going to shift side to side. It's canted because of the spring on one side, which is there so that the aperture is tilted consistently through the full range of elevation.

1. A way to fix it if it really bothers you is to insert a selection of feeler gages in between the sight and the handle until it's straight.

2. Setting the feeler gage stack aside, disassemble and remove the sight.

3. Use a dial or digital caliper to measure the combined length of the sight base and the stack of feeler gages.

4. Using JB Weld, build up a 'bump' on the bottom front of the sight base opposite side from the spring.

5. After the JB Weld cures, file the bump down until the overall length of the sight and the bump is the same as what you measured in 3 above.

Reassemble the sight and you should be good to go.

Ouroborous
03-12-12, 19:46
Going to cut down the handle to use as a back up iron sight & still be able to use my red dot optic mounted on the upper receiver rail.
Thanks everyone else for the info!

-Eric

I cut down my A2 as well and have been happy with it. Got the aimpoint on a tall mount and have learned to ignore the rear sight. Happy dremeling!

kisskaren
03-12-12, 20:25
The sight cants a little to the left?
100% normal!!

Iraqgunz
03-13-12, 00:39
This has been discussed numerous times and simple use of the search button would have revealed this.