PDA

View Full Version : LMT / Predatar mini review

nato762
03-12-12, 19:05
This is my first "real" post here so I'll say right up front that I am a civie and do not live knee deep in brass. I in no way claim to be a professional but my friend and I are both avid shooters.

For basically the last year I was trying to decided like many what .308 AR to buy. Having had my fill of FAL's ( fine rifle) and M1a's( fine rifle) I was ready to move in to one the new systems. So was my friend "meanstreaker" who also was thinking about doing the same and even started a thread on this very subject before buying the Predatar. This last weekend while both of us were at the same location we did a quick side by side and thought our impressions of each other's rifles might be valuable to anyone in the same situation.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/nemthmic/lmtVslarue1.jpg

over all the the rifles appear to be both extremely well made pieces of of gear. The Larue doesn't have ambi controls out of the box....no biggie but a difference. He is running a 3.5 ACOG and mine has leupold MR/T 1.5x5 so similar set ups.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/nemthmic/lmtVslarue4.jpg

The Barrel profile is definitely different as expected:

Larue

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/nemthmic/lmtVslarue2.jpg

LMT

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/nemthmic/lmtVslarue3.jpg

Bolt and carrier...very similar ..lmt carrier beefier by a bit

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/nemthmic/lmtVslarue6.jpg

Weight: Well we were both surprised at how SIMILAR they felt. Both us were expecting the PredatAr to be very noticeably lighter. However although the LMT was heavier it wasn't that easy to tell. We asked many around us to do the same test we did and the results were the same across the board both similar although the LMT was a tad heavier. We didn't have a scale there so no way to give you a direct weight comparison...hopefully next time.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/nemthmic/lmtVslarue5.jpg

Balance: The predatar is easily the better balanced rifle and the magwell test confirmed this. The LMT is of course a bit front heavy.

Shooting: Unfortunately I forgot my camera on when we went to the range but we were shooting at 500 yrds on steel silhouettes 18X24. Meanstreaker can chime in on his impressions of the LMT when gets a chance but IMO the LMT was definitely the softer shooting rifle. I was shooting M118 with a sling and grouping about 1-2 moa without trying real hard. The predatar hadn't been shot out at that distance before so once we got the zero meanstreaker was banging the steel as well with his Acog and South African ball pretty much at will. The geiselle is a geiselle so that rocks on the Predatar. Big smiles from both us. Now his rifle shot ball MUCH better than mine. This was only my second time with my LMT so when I have more time I will have to get more accurate zeros with my surplus stuff but there is no doubt that the LMT is a machine with the good stuff.

Overall: I was looking forward to seeing his rifle first hand but I was also a bit apprehensive thinking that maybe I made the wrong choice. But after seeing both rifles side by side and shooting them the differences aren't as great as they are made out to be. I am now even more satisfied with the LMT and he is also happy with his rig. I don't think you would make a "mistake" by getting either of these fine rifles.

Hope this helps

jasonusvi
03-12-12, 20:55
Thanks for the comparison! Future comparative results would be appreciated... possibly 100 yard groups from the same shooter/same ammo with each rifle, etc.

LRB45
03-12-12, 21:16
Yeah, nice writeup!

I don't think you can go wrong with either of those rifles! Sure wish I could afford one though. Some groups with quality ammo would be nice to see which one can perform better! Of course there will always be variables, but still nice to see.

It would be interesting to be able to get your hands on one of the newer LaRues PredatOBRs with the heavier barrel.

nato762
03-12-12, 21:18
Oh I wanted to and hopefully we'll both get a bit of time in the near future to really do a more "scientific" comparison. The event both us went to pretty much demanded most of our attention and we just didn't have the time to really be able to devote the necessary time to do a full on review. Plus there were about 20 others of us shooting those targets so it would have been very difficult to really keep track of the groups. I was hoping that there would have been more time to shoot but it just didn't happen. Hopefully even this little bit helps address some of those common questions that most are curious about the two platforms.

HELLABEN
03-26-12, 20:20
nice review,

i have a favor to ask,. can you measure the larue bolt, and try to see if it headspaces in the LMT. a LOT of people want to know this because LMT is swamped with orders and not offering replacement bolts, while larue sells the obr bolt separately

i have a lmt coming too, and i would like to know, thank you

El Cid
03-26-12, 20:31
Thanks for the comparison. I look forward to seeing updates.

One question though... You say you were grouping 1-2 MOA. How did you measure that on steel, 500 yards off, with 20 others shooting at it? Not being a smart ass - I'm curious.

nato762
03-27-12, 07:54
There were three targets set up so we weren't all hammering the same one but due to situation we were a bit limited as to how much time each of us had and shooting early before they got all marked up. Again NOT 100 % scientific but pretty good but with Binos looking at the target knowing it is 18x24 and judging the impact points/ group as well comparing it to my chest...impact points were between 5-10 inches.

here is the first time I shot the LMT at 500 ( not the review session)...I was getting similar results. Again not having a 100% zero I had to add 2moa left but it was grouping pretty well.

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx6/nemthmic/steel1st.jpg

What is really frustrating is I haven't been able to get back out and really shoot some groups. I am sure on a bag or bi pod it will do much better. As soon as I get time I will and post results here. I had a 18" Sage EBR that this replaced and I am really satisfied with the switch even with my limited experience with this awesome rifle.

Thanks for the comparison. I look forward to seeing updates.

One question though... You say you were grouping 1-2 MOA. How did you measure that on steel, 500 yards off, with 20 others shooting at it? Not being a smart ass - I'm curious.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-27-12, 08:16
Great write up! I loved how you laid out who you were and your experience level, it added a lot of validity to you impressions. Your rifle both look great.

Heber Guy
03-27-12, 20:11
Thanks. I am making a choice between these two rifles and you have helped.

Pappabear
03-27-12, 21:57
As said good write up. Be great to both head out with the federal 168's and compare head to head with common ammo to all.

I have an LMT , but would like to upgrade to 18 inch SS. The best comparison would be stainless vs stainless. Even though my 16 CL will shoot 1 inch groups with great ammo and 1.5 -2 with many different kinds.