PDA

View Full Version : Rainier Arms RUC...

YFZsandrider
03-12-12, 19:18
I recently sold my AR, and am looking foreward to a whole new build. I was pretty set on a free float fore end, with maybe a light and AFG up front, at most. A 14.5" mid length, and those were my only guidelines.

I found the Rainier Arms Urban Carbine(RUC), and really loved the way it handled, and began to think about just buying a complete rifle, with a standard profile barrel, instead of a lightweught, as pictured.

I had a Vortex flash hider on my last AR, and was very impressed with the way it all but eliminated flash signature. I can option a few things on the rifle when I buy it, and I want to hear thoughts on whether I should stick with the compensator that it comes with, or option for a Vortex instead? How much of an advantage in muzzle rise reduction is there from that type of comp?

I intend for this to be my SHTF main rifle, and don't plan to shoot competitively, or use it for anything other than a main self defense rifle.

Her's the rifle and the build specs, anything I should consider differently, than the way they have it setup? I'm trying to decide if I'd be better off in the long run, just building on from scratch, or buying theirs with the idea that I might change a couple things in the future?

Rainier Arms RUC

http://www.rainierarms.com/img/shop/product/9b201fec526251f837d3274d64b12d8f.jpg

14.5 or 16″ Standard or Lightweight Cold Hammer Forged 5.56mm Barrel
Extended M4 Feed Ramps
MPI HP tested Bolt
Auto carrier with properly staked carrier key
1 in 7″ twist
Mil Spec Phosphate finish
Mid length gas system
1⁄2×28 threads
Pinned low profile gas block
Forged flat-top upper receiver
Rainier Arms Evolution Free Float System - 12.0
BCM Gun Fighter Charging Handle
Rainier Arms XTC
Diamond Head Back Up Iron Sights
Forged Lower
Mil-Spec 6 position receiver extension
H Buffer
Vltor iMod Carbine stock
Magpul MOE+ pistol grip
One 30 rd mag included
Rifle Weight w/LW Barrel: 6 lbs 10oz
Geissele G2S trigger

YFZsandrider
03-13-12, 19:27
Bump. Anyone?

Wondering what pros and cons I should consider between getting this in a lightweight barrel, and a standard profile? As well as what difference I'll see in muzzle rise reduction with their brake, versus a vortex flash hider.

TehLlama
03-13-12, 20:24
Hard to go against a packaged bundle - stuff like the IMOD, MOE Grip, and G2S trigger are all great value choices. If you want to run a G6A2 vortex on there, I think RA has them in stock, and would be able to make that change, or buy one and decide later which you prefer.

This is assuming 16" where you have some flexibility - if you're still a fan of the vortex, and want to go 14.5"... sure, but you wind up with all the problems of a pinned muzzle device - that upper has that handguard and that muzzle device until such time as you want to pay a bunch of money to change it (usually cost effective to start all over at that point)

YFZsandrider
03-13-12, 20:34
How's that? The fore end will slip over the flash hider easily, won't it?

And If I wanted a different barrel configuration, I'd just have to pull the gas block foreward, and remove the barrel, right?

GTifosi
03-13-12, 20:59
Gas tube would get removed to remove barrel. No need to move the gas block.

If the handguard has a proprietary nut, it's going to be there for a long time with a pinned muzzle device unless you find another that uses the same nut.

YFZsandrider
03-13-12, 21:04
Doesn't removing the gas tube involve sliding the gas block foreward? I'm not big on AR tech, sorry. And the fore end clamps over a standard barrel nut, I'm almost certain.

GTifosi
03-13-12, 21:15
There's a wee little spring pin that holds the gas tube into the gas block.
Knock it out to free the tube for removal.

MyHybridBurnsGasandTires
03-14-12, 13:23
I had a blast shooting my RUC16 last weekend, first time out with it.

I definitely need more practice shooting with the diamondhead sights! :o

seb5
03-14-12, 19:27
Doesn't removing the gas tube involve sliding the gas block foreward? I'm not big on AR tech, sorry. And the fore end clamps over a standard barrel nut, I'm almost certain.

The pinned muzzle device has nothing to do with pulling the gas tube. You can push the gas block forward or just remove the pin and push the tube back, roll and pull out. No issues.

YFZsandrider
03-14-12, 19:43
Okay, so a pinned muzzle device wouldn't affect removing the fore end, or the barrel entirely?

mpom
03-14-12, 20:20
Back to the original question of whether you should get it set up any differently; unless you are into competition shooting, consider a different muzzle device. Got a RUC16 for a friend and we broke it in last Sunday. While the Ranier MB worked great keeping rifle very flat, noise, blast and concussion were pretty bad, similar to a PWS FSC I had. Much worse than my 16" carbine with a Battle Comp. As others have said, Ranier will set it up to your specs so you are not locked into this comp. Since you are a noob, I would recommend a 16" barrel, either weight. The lightweight barrel is plenty accurate and adds to the nice balance of this weapon, so I would recommend it. Barrel may heat up faster than a mid weight but handguard should shield you well.
This weapon is still a good deal although price went up $200 recently, now $1485. No need to upgrade anything. Just add red dot sight, light and sling.

Mark

pentosinjunkie
03-17-12, 20:14
Thoughts on the DD lightweight profile barrel vs. the Standard contour barrel in the RUC? Anyone handled both? Mine is still in pre-order stage; I'm debating asking them to switch to a standard-profile barrel (I already have an LWRC M6SL with a lightweight barrel.)

YFZsandrider
03-19-12, 15:52
I met up with a local guy at an IDPA event, and he had essentially the same rifle as the RUC, only he built it before Rainier offered that particular rifle. He had it set up with a standard profile, and I was suprised at how little of a difference it seemed to make, in how the gun handled. I couldn't play with them side by side, but the standard profile still had great balance, and I may, if anything, prefer the heavier barrel's weight out front a little better.

I'm going to order mine in the next week or so, if you're local, you're more than welcome to play with it.

pentosinjunkie
03-19-12, 16:13
YFZ, thanks for the offer, but my RUC is already on order (has been since mid-January) and I'm in the Washington, DC metro area.

The main issue I have is that the additional barrel width may only be in front of the gas block, which seems pretty pointless to me. If the contour was/is thicker throughout the length of the barrel, I'd be sold on "upgrading" to the standard-contour barrel.

I currently have an LWRC M6-SL, had the base LWRC M6 prior to this, and the HBAR rifle definitely kept better groups over time, no surprise.

seb5
03-19-12, 20:09
FWIW the difference in weight between the standard and lightweight barrel is about 4 ounces. It does make a difference in feel and balance.

MyHybridBurnsGasandTires
04-09-12, 11:52
Has anyone else had trouble getting their RUC 14.5/16 sighted in with the diamondhead sights?

I've tried twice now with little luck, even though I'm new to firearms, I had experienced friends helping me each time and they observed the same results.

We spent over an hour each time trying to sight in at 25 and 50ft and it still felt like it was consistently hitting low and to the right, no matter what we adjusted the sights to.

Maybe I should just pick up a Magpul MBUS and try it instead of the diamondhead sight?

titanse05
04-09-12, 13:43
Has anyone else had trouble getting their RUC 14.5/16 sighted in with the diamondhead sights?

I've tried twice now with little luck, even though I'm new to firearms, I had experienced friends helping me each time and they observed the same results.

We spent over an hour each time trying to sight in at 25 and 50ft and it still felt like it was consistently hitting low and to the right, no matter what we adjusted the sights to.

Maybe I should just pick up a Magpul MBUS and try it instead of the diamondhead sight?No its not just you. After about 40rounds I'm still hitting right at 50 yards with the Diamondheads on my 14.5" RUC.

The elevation was good from the start. By the end of my initial range trip with the RUC, I have the rear sight adjusted quite a bit to the left of the rear sight (about 1/4 of the way to the left) and it seems that I need to go further. I like the way the Diamondheads look but their function has me wondering at this point. Was going to go out again with it this week and try again.

Will be shooting an email to Rainier Arms to see if this is typical. As a comparison, I had my Aimpoint PRO on Bobro mount sighted in after 15 rounds.

YFZsandrider
04-09-12, 21:21
Please keep us posted, I just ordered my RUC, and am curious about the sights.

titanse05
04-10-12, 15:16
I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. With both the Diamondheads and my PRO cowitnessd, the rear aperature is two vertical hashes from the center of the sight. This is probably normal.

MyHybridBurnsGasandTires
04-10-12, 17:04
I don't think it is anything to be concerned about. With both the Diamondheads and my PRO cowitnessd, the rear aperature is two vertical hashes from the center of the sight. This is probably normal.

So you were able to get it pretty close to sighted in, but it seemed like you had to had to adjust the rear sight quite a bit to the left to get close. Correct?

titanse05
04-10-12, 18:44
So you were able to get it pretty close to sighted in, but it seemed like you had to had to adjust the rear sight quite a bit to the left to get close. Correct?

The aperture is two notches from the "center" of the sight. Not too extreme I guess.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2