PDA

View Full Version : I'll tee this one up -- swing away.

KintlaLake
12-29-07, 09:12
GARLAND, Texas (Associated Press) — An essay that won a 6-year-old girl four tickets to a Hannah Montana concert began with the powerful line: "My daddy died this year in Iraq."

Read the rest of the story here (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hPtRDIoBHl1UDi59dH29gBktIjLAD8TQTQ000).

Voodoochild
12-29-07, 10:53
What a disgrace they should be ashamed. I hope everyone in their hometown knows about this and it ruins them. They should apologize to the families of the service members who have lost loved ones in Iraq. As a matter of fact it should be a nationally televised event.

The same thing should happen to anyone that uses the Armed Forces as fraud to get something. Including posers and fake ass contest winners.

Trim2L
12-29-07, 11:26
I think it is pretty cool that the contest judges picked a child they thought lost her father in Iraq. While it is shameful what the contestant did, the group giving out the tickets had their heads in the right place.

condition 1
12-29-07, 18:47
The Parent's are "morally challenged". :rolleyes:

Don Robison
12-29-07, 20:33
The Parent's are "morally challenged". :rolleyes:

I prefer the term idiots.

scapegoat762
12-29-07, 22:36
Part of the win at any cost "survivor, big brother, rock of love, etc" mentality that is now an accepted behavior in our society. It's great when the behavior of an entire .society is determined by the segment of that society that should not be able to get on at the local mcdonald's

KintlaLake
12-30-07, 07:52
Observation #1: For all the crabbing we do about the media, we shouldn't overlook the fact that it was journalists who exposed this woman's fraud.

Props are in order: WFAA, Dallas Morning News.

Observation #2: Since this story broke, I've heard numerous people say that they "feel bad for the little girl."

Not me -- that sort of knee-jerk compassion is both misguided and short-sighted.

I feel worse for those of us who knew the difference between the truth and a lie long before we turned six years old.

I'm sad that a segment of our society puts a higher value on a four-pack of bubble-gum concert tickets than on the sacrifies of our men and women in uniform.

And I'm angry that the rest of us continue to support people like this, people who demand their entitlements and manipulate the system through lives of deception. We're paying dearly today because of people like Priscilla Ceballos and, because children learn what they live, we'll pay dearly tomorrow for the likes of her daughter.

Hersh
12-30-07, 08:57
Win at any cost? There's got to be a line somewhere and this is WAY past it. My concern for the little girl in question is limited to this point: it's sad that she's being parented by people with such obvious character deficits.

avmech
12-30-07, 10:29
That is so far past the line, they could not see it :mad:

Welcome to modern society, unfortunately this is the norm instead of the few....................................pizzes me off to no end. Parents should be charged with fraud too

SeriousStudent
12-30-07, 11:50
Observation #1: For all the crabbing we do about the media, we shouldn't overlook the fact that it was journalists who exposed this woman's fraud.

Props are in order: WFAA, Dallas Morning News.

Observation #2: Since this story broke, I've heard numerous people say that they "feel bad for the little girl."

Not me -- that sort of knee-jerk compassion is both misguided and short-sighted.

I feel worse for those of us who knew the difference between the truth and a lie long before we turned six years old.

I'm sad that a segment of our society puts a higher value on a four-pack of bubble-gum concert tickets than on the sacrifies of our men and women in uniform.

And I'm angry that the rest of us continue to support people like this, people who demand their entitlements and manipulate the system through lives of deception. We're paying dearly today because of people like Priscilla Ceballos and, because children learn what they live, we'll pay dearly tomorrow for the likes of her daughter.

I live in the Dallas area. Believe me, it has been all over the news, and folks are talking about it. It was a big topic of conversation at church today, and part of our Bible study class. The topic was ethics, and this woman was the object lesson.

A different child will get the tickets. Hopefully Madam Ceballos gets a beating. The news coverage did not paint her in a sympathetic light. All of the local television stations here are very pro-military.