PDA

View Full Version : What AR would you get with a $1500 budget?

firearmslawyer
03-13-12, 08:36
Howdy guys:

I would deeply appreciate your advice on this as I am not up to speed on the very latest builders/quality trends/value options. I had a couple Bushmasters 13 years ago or so and they were fine I guess, when I could get them to run, probably tired mags were the problem. I sold them. My HK MR556 is heavy but simply awesome. Accordingly, I am no expert on the latest, greatest AR options.

My friend Matt is looking to get his first AR and he has a budget for the base rifle of about $1,500. I would like to get him to be able to spend more and get an absolutely top shelf rig but there you are.

I suggested he look at Daniel, BCM, LWRC and HK (granted, more coin required for most options here) but what do the AR experts here suggest Matt consider?

Thanks so much for your help on this.

Kind Regards,

Chris T.

J8127
03-13-12, 08:37
I, who's opinion is worthless, would buy a DDM4 Version 1.

RGoose
03-13-12, 08:42
Not to be rude, but there are a large number of posts on this topic. The answers are always the same; Colt (model 6920), BCM, or Daniel Defense. Choose your flavor of Kool-Aid, they all taste the same.

The 6920 is probably the best value, as it will leave some money left over for at least ammo, possibly a day to two day class on how to properly use it.

jwperry
03-13-12, 08:43
What does he want it to do?

Does he want to shoot the balls off a fly at 200 yards?
Does he want a 3gun rifle?
Does he want a gun that can be dropped from a helicopter and not shift its zero to still hit steel at 50 yards?

firearmslawyer
03-13-12, 08:54
Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep them coming.

He is in Austin and he wants to be able to shoot a hog or a deer with it from time to time, for some recreational fun, maybe a class or two with it, and also, like many of us, he just wants a high quality rifle that can be depended upon for TEOTWAWKI.

Thanks guys.

CT

shua713
03-13-12, 08:58
If you want a rail on it, I would go with a DD of choice. If you don't want/need a rail then i would save a few dollars, get a colt 6920 from GandRtactical.com and spend the rest of the money on some ammo or a good red dot sight.

MCS
03-13-12, 09:00
.. A DD,Colt, BCM, and for $1495 you can get a Larue PredatAr.

Ironman8
03-13-12, 09:10
Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep them coming.

He is in Austin and he wants to be able to shoot a hog or a deer with it from time to time, for some recreational fun, maybe a class or two with it, and also, like many of us, he just wants a high quality rifle that can be depended upon for TEOTWAWKI.

Thanks guys.

CT

Hmm....well the "reasons" that you listed above all call for different rifles with different setups IMO

Shooting a hog or deer and recreational fun (plinking), I would go with a SS barrelled upper with a magnified optic.

Any classes or "TEOTWAWKI" would call for a CL barrelled upper with a red dot optic.

He can compromise and just go with a CL barrel and maybe a 1-4x optic, but I would go Noveske since I personally believe that their chrome lining would be slightly more accurate than most other options out there. Centurion would be another option as they use basically the same barrels. (Although, depending on how good a shot he is, he may not even see a difference between a Noveske and DD). Only problem is that you'd be over your $1500 budget on just the rifle alone...

If he already has a hunting rifle, then I would gear my AR more towards a "fighting carbine" (CL barrel with red dot optic, light, and sling)

Hope that helps

ETA: None of this matters anyway since it won't take long for him to catch the Black Rifle Disease and have one (or two) of each kind of setup...ask me how I know ;)

polymorpheous
03-13-12, 09:17
Blem BCM lower, complete: $290
BCM upper w/ MOE handguards, complete: $585
Magpul MBUS: $49
Aimpoint PRO: $400
BFG VCAS sling: $44
Magpul MOE illumination kit: $19
VTAC light mount: $23
Surefire G2: $41

TOTAL: $1451

Enough left over for your transfer fees.

ggp2jz
03-13-12, 09:41
Personally Id go with a BCM blem complete lower and a BCM MK12 upper

Wormydog1724
03-13-12, 09:54
If it were my $1,500...

I'd get a BCM lower with Magpul MIAD, CTR, BAD, and ASAP.
Then I'd get a BCM Upper, 16" midlength with 13" Troy TRX-E.
Then I'd save all my pennies and get some Troy BUIS and learn to shoot those for awhile.
Then I'd save even more pennies and get a Trijicon TR24G in a LaRue LT139 mount.
Then I'd go sell a kidney and get an AAC SPR/M4 suppressor.

Oh wait, that IS what I did. (except selling kidney... Or did I?)

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/BCM/240c9058.jpg
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/BCM/7f7cac96.jpg

Bsully
03-13-12, 09:57
I'd buy a Colt LE6920 from Walmart for $1050
and spend the rest on ammo.

Fly8791
03-13-12, 10:02
You said he is in Austin?

Tell him to drive down to GT Distributors on Brockton lane (near the intersection of Burnet and Braker) and buy one of their Colt 6920's for $995. Tell him to spend the rest on ammo or an optic and live happily ever after with his new AR.

(Thats what I did when I decided I "needed" a second AR)

bsmith_shoot
03-13-12, 10:10
With those specs, I'd go with a 6720, and a aimpoint pro. It would be lightweight for all day carry, and tough as nails for all day battle. Just my .02 cents worth though.
Brandon

skeeterman
03-13-12, 10:18
You said he is in Austin?

Tell him to drive down to GT Distributors on Brockton lane (near the intersection of Burnet and Braker) and buy one of their Colt 6920's for $995. Tell him to spend the rest on ammo or an optic and live happily ever after with his new AR.

(Thats what I did when I decided I "needed" a second AR)

You will not be disappointed!

Bob Reed
03-13-12, 10:50
Hello,

The off-brands always fall short (one way or another) when compared to COLT'S Quality, and the only thing better than a COLT, is a Special Production COLT from Specialized Armament.

So, for a top-of-the-line gun that's in his price range - take a look at SA's M4A1 http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/Specialized_Armament_M4A1-943-280.html

The Specialized Armament M4A1 is available in two different versions, ie. "Early Model M4A1" and "Late Model M4A1". The Early Model M4A1 comes equipped with a Type I Sliding Stock (COLT Military Stock used in the 1980's & 90's) and has a Std. Profile M4 Barrel and the Late Model M4A1 comes with a Type II Sliding Stock (Current COLT Military Stock) and has a Heavy SOCOM Barrel.

Specialized Armament's Proprietary Reliability Package is standard on both models http://www.specializedarmament.com/content/skins/flat/popup_issue_95.html

I personally couldn't resist the Heavy SOCOM Barrel - so I went with the Late Model M4A1, but it'll be hard living without the Early Model, so I'll get one of them too just as soon as I can!

kajen
03-13-12, 10:55
if i could just get a used AR here with that budget id be happy .. second hand cheap ARīs cost more here than 1500usd

id probably go for a near 1000usd colt and spice it up for the remaining 500usd ..

strojo
03-13-12, 10:58
If it's a first rifle, resist the urge to overbuy a bunch of useless stuff on a rifle you'll never use. Get a basic rifle and a whole bunch of ammo--the ammo will serve you better than any of the gadgets.

OldState
03-13-12, 12:06
With those specs, I'd go with a 6720, and a aimpoint pro. It would be lightweight for all day carry, and tough as nails for all day battle. Just my .02 cents worth though.
Brandon

I bought a 6920 a while back despite some very knowledgable people on this forum suggesting the 6720. They were harder to get then, but I wish I had bought the 6720. The govt profile barrel is pointless unless you have a grenade launcher. Just added weight.

Like others said I would get an Aimpoint PRO, sling, buis, half dozen mags, a light and call it a day. You should be able to do that for around $1500

Buckshot Barry
03-13-12, 12:08
Hello,

The off-brands always fall short (one way or another) when compared to COLT'S Quality, and the only thing better than a COLT, is a Special Production COLT from Specialized Armament.

So, for a top-of-the-line gun that's in his price range - take a look at SA's M4A1 http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/Specialized_Armament_M4A1-943-280.html

That's one sharp M4. Thanks for sharing

Kokopelli
03-13-12, 12:12
If it's a first rifle, resist the urge to overbuy a bunch of useless stuff on a rifle you'll never use. Get a basic rifle and a whole bunch of ammo--the ammo will serve you better than any of the gadgets.

Tru-Dat Homefry!.. jmo.. Cheers.. Ron

nocomply25
03-13-12, 12:13
I would get a blem BCM lower and then a 14.5 bcm upper and call it a day!!

madisonsfinest
03-13-12, 12:26
Colt
BCM
LMT

Iraqgunz
03-13-12, 12:27
Tell your friend to get a good basic carbine (Colt 6920, DD, BCM or similar). Then buy 1K rounds of ammo, a sling and some mags and practice getting to know the weapon.

Obviously training would be great as well, but not with the initial budget.

Howdy guys:

I would deeply appreciate your advice on this as I am not up to speed on the very latest builders/quality trends/value options. I had a couple Bushmasters 13 years ago or so and they were fine I guess, when I could get them to run, probably tired mags were the problem. I sold them. My HK MR556 is heavy but simply awesome. Accordingly, I am no expert on the latest, greatest AR options.

My friend Matt is looking to get his first AR and he has a budget for the base rifle of about $1,500. I would like to get him to be able to spend more and get an absolutely top shelf rig but there you are.

I suggested he look at Daniel, BCM, LWRC and HK (granted, more coin required for most options here) but what do the AR experts here suggest Matt consider?

Kind Regards,

Chris T.

Voodoo_Man
03-13-12, 12:28
$1500 is an interesting number.

I would have a hard time deciding between a DD and Noveske.

rob_s
03-13-12, 12:30
Colt 6920 or 6720
11 Pmags
2k rounds XM193
Intro course

Come back when that is done.

This idea people have that they are going to put a $2500 KAC in their safe and somehow be prepared is absurd. As is the idea that you should "build" a first AR because that way you get what you "need". You do not get what you "need" but instead get what you "want" because you have absolutely no idea what you "need". and reading on the internet is not "research", neither does expensive=good.

The above solution is FAR less expensive, on the road to becoming a competent, goal-oriented, shooter than is starting with new hotness in the safe. Understanding that the "new hotness" gun owner is the 99%.

Be the 1%.

Moltke
03-13-12, 12:38
First, screw buying from Walmart. Support the companies that will support you and treat you well. Walmart can suck it.

This is a good price on a Colt 6920, $965. http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

This is a good price on a case of ammo, $299.50 for PMC Bronze. Nothing special but it's good training ammo. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=APMC223FMJ55&name=PMC+.223+55grn+FMJ+20rd+box&groupid=21

Then lastly, seek out some formal training on how to use your rifle. This is a good beginner course taught by a very competent and experience instructor. http://store.greygrouptraining.com/1-DAY-CARBINE-INCEPTION.html

Oh and looky there, not including taxes, shipping, etc it's $1489.50.

#sand
03-13-12, 13:12
First, screw buying from Walmart. Support the companies that will support you and treat you well. Walmart can suck it.

This.

With that budget, I'm thinking the DD or the Noveske. Though the Colt or the BCM certainly would not be a disappointment either.

LoneWolfRonin
03-13-12, 13:57
I'm not sure what he intends the new rifle's role to be but Daniel Defense was the right balance of quality vs value to me.

Failure2Stop
03-13-12, 14:37
I want to bolster the comments of a few.

The base cost of the weapon should account for around $1,000, the rest needs to be spent on support gear:
Sights (might as well stick with irons, otherwise he isn't getting ang mags or ammo).
Mags (recommend at least 5 decent mags)
Ammo

Will want in short order:
Light
Sling
Spare parts
Optics

danco
03-13-12, 14:51
Colt 6920 + $500 in ammo.

All the rest of the accoutrement can wait (quality optic and light will run you $800-$1000, anyway)...

Have fun!

MistWolf
03-13-12, 15:28
Colt 6920 or 6720
11 Pmags
2k rounds XM193
Intro course

This idea people have that they are going to put a $2500 KAC in their safe and somehow be prepared is absurd. As is the idea that you should "build" a first AR because that way you get what you "need". You do not get what you "need" but instead get what you "want" because you have absolutely no idea what you "need". and reading on the internet is not "research", neither does expensive=good.

The above solution is FAR less expensive, on the road to becoming a competent, goal-oriented, shooter than is starting with new hotness in the safe. Understanding that the "new hotness" gun owner is the 99%.

Be the 1%.

This statement needs to be a stickie or FAQ or something. Basically it needs to read "Buy a Colt 6920, mags and ammo and shoot the sumbitch until you know what to get"

Bonez556
03-13-12, 17:57
Definitely Daniel Defense!!

Kokopelli
03-13-12, 18:04
Honestly... I got my first and second AR for services rendered (no funds or collateral tendered) and I spent more than $1500 on ammo, etc.. accessories.. Ammo is a big deal.. A quick range trip of 100 rounds times ten is $300-$350.. Just saying.. Ron

MrFJones
03-13-12, 18:31
Me personally, I would get a Loki Moe. I love mine so much I just bought a patrol rifle with 18" barrel and Troy rail.

TehLlama
03-13-12, 19:36
Colt 6920 or 6720
11 Pmags
2k rounds XM193
Intro course

The above solution is FAR less expensive, on the road to becoming a competent, goal-oriented, shooter than is starting with new hotness in the safe. .

I'm using the quote feature, because it's a waste of energy to type the exact same thing. This is the best advice. Please encourage him to use it.

El Cid
03-13-12, 21:49
I already did. The LaRue PredatAR.

Rekkr870
03-14-12, 00:00
I'm partial to Daniel Defense. The M4v1 can be had for around $1200 or less depending on where you look. The DDM4 is one of the best if not THE best carbines you can get right out of the box. A true fighting rifle.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

sjwolf
03-14-12, 10:48
It's so strange hearing about Wal-Mart selling Colts living in CA lol. .

My dad lives in TX but I've never taken my AR15 Deer/Hog hunting. I know it's legal and can be done, but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable mainly for humane reasons. Obviously I can understand wanting an AR15, but it wouldn't be my choice for hunting deer and hogs unless I didn't have a better option. Also, I definitely wouldn't use plinking ammo.

Anyway as others have said he'd be fine with Colt, BCM, DD. As these should all be 1:7 which are better for a heavier round

Failure2Stop
03-14-12, 11:17
My dad lives in TX but I've never taken my AR15 Deer/Hog hunting. I know it's legal and can be done, but personally I wouldn't feel comfortable mainly for humane reasons.

Put a purpose-built bullet where it's supposed to go and they will drop just as certainly as they will with any other caliber.

If you're not happy with 5.56, you can easily go with 6.5, 6.8 or .300 BLK, all of which work.

sjwolf
03-14-12, 11:40
Put a purpose-built bullet where it's supposed to go and they will drop just as certainly as they will with any other caliber.

If you're not happy with 5.56, you can easily go with 6.5, 6.8 or .300 BLK, all of which work.

Absolutely. I know people that have done it as well. It's just not my personal preference, and especially not 55g which I think I saw a link for. Obviously you want to put it down clean but there are no guarantees

Meta-Prometheus
03-14-12, 15:57
Colt 6920 or 6720
11 Pmags
2k rounds XM193
Intro course

Be the 1%.

^^^ That post sums it up right there.

KrampusArms
03-14-12, 21:23
A Rock River PDS pistol chambered in 50 Beowolf

TedG
03-14-12, 23:00
I'd get a Colt 6920 and use the rest of the money to buy a roll of Silver Eagles.

:meeting:

Patric
03-14-12, 23:01
.........what do the AR experts here suggest Matt consider?

Sir,

While not an 'AR expert'........yet, there is one subject discussed here in which I am an expert, which is being a new to these rifles.

Reading the advice I found here I bought a Colt 6920 in November. I have since put about 2500 rounds through it. My favorite upgrade for it so far? Lots of P-mags and more XM193.
I have had zero failures of any type thus far. Not one.

These guys are right, tell your buddy to just get a quality, simple rifle and shoot the hell out of it.

The first week I had it I zeroed it using the IBSZ and I could easily hit what I wanted......from a rest, but now, 4 months and over 2K rounds later, only now do I really feel 'in tune' with it. Now I want to take classes, now I can start thinking about what I want to change about it.

Yes, I walked into Midwest industries last week and reserved a BCM Recce rifle, I am guilty of falling for that :) but I still have my bone stock 6920 that I take to the range and rinse with ammo every few days. :dance3:

MWC4
03-14-12, 23:48
I went on pure gut - walked into the local GS - held an LWRS, a Novseski, a KAC, a Colt, and finally the LMT - and she jumped into my arms - If a gun is not like a women, I don't want to hold her. I learned this from studying the curves of knife blades. The KAC was lovely, the Noveseki beautiful & light, the LWRS was beautiful, but in the end, the LMT was the women I wanted as a .223 in my life. For me, this was a Cosmic Stumble because I had done no research up to this point. I just held them all, closed my eyes, & the LMT said yes. + I love gettin into this at the DI level - no pistons for me yet - I just want that 18" SS barrel as an extra & I'll be busy with this rifle for a long time.
Some times intituation is better than all the google research out there. Cheers, gentlemen - I can't wait to start posting pictures of this fem-fatele as I become a new member of this AR15 club.

TehLlama
03-15-12, 02:08
Some times intituation is better than all the google research out there. Cheers, gentlemen - I can't wait to start posting pictures of this fem-fatele as I become a new member of this AR15 club.

The LMT is gtg, that will work well.

Casull
03-15-12, 05:21
I'd go with a Centurion Arms rifle since they're special, or a BCM with any rail and gas length I want! he can shop around so much with BCM. Youtube videos, reviews, all that would make the whole thing so fun for him and he would learn.

LRB45
03-15-12, 07:38
LMT, as in MRP!?

My first AR was a LMT 14.5" carbine, but after adding rails and pin and weld flashhider, I wished I would have just went with a MRP. It would have cost a little more but the could of avoided the hassle of setting up my first carbine.

TedG
03-15-12, 10:33
There's a guy on GT that had a DD, and bought a Colt LE6920. He listed the DD for sale, retracted it, and now the Colt is for sale for $1050. I don't think he's had it long enough to even shoot it.

:no:

TankerrobM1A1
03-15-12, 11:01
With 1500, I would get a Colt LE6920/newly marked M4 carbine. Either that or the DPMS with HB 20'' barrel birdcage flash suppressor and bayonet lug

BAC
03-15-12, 11:36
Isn't Grant selling a 6920s and 6720s cheap enough to buy an Aimpoint with the remainder? That's what I'd do with $1500.

-B

Bob Reed
03-15-12, 11:40
With 1500, I would get a Colt LE6920/newly marked M4 carbine. Either that or the DPMS with HB 20'' barrel birdcage flash suppressor and bayonet lug
You just went from the highest quality brand to sub-standard junk - and didn't even include any of the other so-called "just-as-good-as" brands in between.

Striker
03-15-12, 12:04
Howdy guys:

Kind Regards,

Chris T.

I think some of the others have pretty much said it. Basic DD, BCM, LMT or Colt. Some good mags, a sling and ammo. Training class when he can afford it.

He doesn't need a rail, cool laser, optic etc to start enjoying the rifle. I would hate to spend $1500.00 or whatever on a rifle, just to have it sit there because I can't afford to shoot it.

Iraqgunz
03-15-12, 12:23
DPMS is a piece of shit and I wouldn't even sell one to the Taliban.

a0cake
03-15-12, 12:39

Well, as long as it's got a bayonet lug. :rolleyes:

Casull
03-15-12, 12:54
Well, as long as it's got a bayonet lug. :rolleyes:

I hear it means your rifle is military grade. :haha:

Ratfink
03-15-12, 13:06
Noveske basic moe
http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=sc-moe&cat=137&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=
or daniel defense ddm4v7lw
https://danieldefense.com/rifles/mid-length/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v7-lw.html

both awesome rifles and lightweight accurate top teir rifles that arnt above your budget also check out the larue predatober

austinN4
03-15-12, 13:31
What am I missing? I fail to see why that is worth more than $600 over what Grant is selling a 6920 for.

For a basic carbine without a lot of extras on it, the 6920 is had to beat at its current price point.

Bob Reed
03-15-12, 16:58
What am I missing? I fail to see why that is worth more than $600 over what Grant is selling a 6920 for.

For a basic carbine without a lot of extras on it, the 6920 is had to beat at its current price point.
Hello Austin,

Grant's prices are very good - but the realistic price that most walk-in shops sell them for is a coupla hundred higher and that's before sales tax.

So with that said, SA's Special Production M4A1 is only around $350 more (in most cases) than an off the rack 6920 and for the price difference you get SA's RP Package, Custom COLT Type I Hammer, SA's Custom Lower Receiver, Shortest Barrel Possible in a Title I Configuration with SA's High Quality Pinned & Welded Compensator and the Barrel is Professionally Machined & Refinished with Military Grade Manganese Phosphate and you get a Real Military Sliding Stock and not that (cheap) aftermarket Rogers Stock (that hopefully COLT will drop by next year and go back to using their high quality military stock as standard on all their AR's).

Don't take me wrong Austin, because I agree that a Factory COLT is better than any of the off-brands, and I choose Factory COLT'S over them, regardless of how much aftermarket stuff their equipped with. But I read the OP's post as his friend wanting a new gun that actually cost as much as he stated - and since Specialized Armament's High Quality M4A1 is only $95 dollars more, that's why I recommended it.

#sand
03-15-12, 20:07
I hear it means your rifle is military grade. :haha:

:lol:

R0CKETMAN
03-15-12, 20:18
There's a guy on GT that had a DD, and bought a Colt LE6920. He listed the DD for sale, retracted it, and now the Colt is for sale for $1050. I don't think he's had it long enough to even shoot it. :no:

Hard to beat DD V5 for the money...$1099, 12" free float rail, vfg, rail covers, case.

DPMS is a piece of shit and I wouldn't even sell one to the Taliban.:haha:

Failure2Stop
03-15-12, 22:10

Yup. . . wait, what?
:confused:

primeform
03-15-12, 23:12
bayonet lug

totally! exactly what I was thinking...

Gunfighter 9
03-16-12, 10:27
I would recommend a BCM mid-length upper, BCM blemished lower, BCM BCG and Charging handle. Then add a CTR stock, MOE handguard, MOE pistol Grip, and an MBUIS rear sight. That would should be well under $1500 and then you can add on optics, VG's and lights as you please.

Todd00000
03-16-12, 16:57
Hard to beat DD V5 for the money...$1099, 12" free float rail, vfg, rail covers, case.

:haha:

It's over $1,500 on the web site.

https://danieldefense.com/rifles/daniel-defense-m4-carbine-v5.html

Todd00000
03-17-12, 10:38
Back on topic, after you add all these parts that your AR "needs" go ahead and use a 100 round magazine to get your AR nice and heavy. :D

There's a reason you see some of us with 20 round mags to start a fire fight with, you carry your rifle more than you shoot it. Your body is much better at carrying weight for extended periods than your arms are; keep the nice to haves in your assault pack.

ennbeegunny15
03-17-12, 13:57
Blem BCM lower, complete: $290
BCM upper w/ MOE handguards, complete: $585
Magpul MBUS: $49
Aimpoint PRO: $400
BFG VCAS sling: $44
Magpul MOE illumination kit: $19
VTAC light mount: $23
Surefire G2: $41

TOTAL: $1451

Enough left over for your transfer fees.

Excellent answer...and tell your friend to enjoy the pork ribs.

austinN4
03-17-12, 14:22
Grant's prices are very good - but the realistic price that most walk-in shops sell them for is a coupla hundred higher and that's before sales tax.
So what - just buy it from Grant and skip the higher priced stores.

So with that said, SA's Special Production M4A1 is only around $350 more (in most cases) than an off the rack 6920...........
No it isn't, not if you buy from Grant. For that matter, I can walk into GT Distributors here in Austin and buy one off the rack for $995: http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920 Or I can buy it from them over the Internet. But, if I was going to buy one I would rather buy it from Grant. I don't know why you keep making unrealisit comparisions.

danco
03-17-12, 14:33
There's a reason you see some of us with 20 round mags to start a fire fight with, you carry your rifle more than you shoot it.

Having served in the Navy and never having to carry a weapon, I find that to be an excellent tip!

Thank you, Sir!

~Dan

Bob Reed
03-17-12, 16:49
So what - just buy it from Grant and skip the higher priced stores.

No it isn't, not if you buy from Grant. For that matter, I can walk into GT Distributors here in Austin and buy one off the rack for $995: http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PartNumber=COLT-LE6920 Or I can buy it from them over the Internet. But, if I was going to buy one I would rather buy it from Grant. I don't know why you keep making unrealisit comparisions.
Look pal - Grant doesn't even have any 6920s in stock to begin with, and I happen to do gunsmithing for a local shop and as a benefit, they sell to me for cost plus tax - so I'm well aware of what Factory COLT'S actually cost.

But what you're failing to understand is, the realistic out-the-door-price that the average person will spend on a 6920 is around $1200 to $1250 - and I'm talking about them buying it from a retail gun shop (you know the ones that have an actual store front).

Now, it's good that you can walk into GT and buy a 6920 for the price you stated - but believe it or not, America is a big place and NOT every gun shop across the country is selling COLT'S for the low prices that some of the internet based dealers are. And just because You don't want a Special Production COLT - doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't.

Have a nice day.

badness
03-17-12, 19:49
ima be different and choose a larue predatar.

MistWolf
03-18-12, 04:56
...just because You don't want a Special Production COLT - doesn't mean that everyone else doesn't...

What does a Special Production Colt offer that a standard Colt does not?

jpmuscle
03-18-12, 05:18
For 1500$ id be looking for lightly used PWS MK114 but thats me. I've developed a significant soft spot for them as of late.

glock23ws
03-18-12, 05:22
Custom build get a BCM bravo company complete then find a complete lower slap them together you get your choice of two likings ! what i did i enjoy my AR. Look around at uppers on sites go with your budget. You can always make your AR 15 mil spec. But i suggest finding an AR or upper complete that is Mil Spec True M4 style feed Ramps DPMS is not to bad I dont own one but People are buying them they sell so Just go with your budget.

rob_s
03-18-12, 05:22
For 1500$ id be looking for lightly used PWS MK114 but thats me. I've developed a significant soft spot for them as of late.

Elaborate.

rob_s
03-18-12, 05:23
DPMS is not to bad I dont own one but People are buying them they sell so Just go with your budget.

This is ridiculous. People buy them and they sell so they must be good? People buy Bose too, doesn't mean they make good speakers, or the best, or are the best for a given budget.

duece71
03-18-12, 05:58
Wow, 4 pages on what to do with $1500 for an AR. Colt, DD, LMT, BCM. Can't go wrong with any of them right out of the box. So may threads like this, the orange search button is feeling left out.

royal
03-18-12, 06:13
Rainier Arms RUC

Iraqgunz
03-18-12, 06:48
I think this one is done. Well over 60 replies and much to digest. If this can't help you then just go on vacation to Disneyworld with the kids.