PDA

View Full Version : Batteries, spare bolt, or bore snake?

matemike
03-13-12, 11:45
Which would be most desired to have in the storage compartment of a MagPul MOE+ grip?

Batteries, spare bolt and firing pin, or bore snake?

I run a surefire X300, hence wanting batteries. I mostly do walking hunts with my gun, plinking on the hunting lease, spot light varmit hunting, range shooting, and carbine classes when I can find the time.
ALSO, this is my grab and go / grab and stay, emergency gun.

I have tried using the MagPul ACS stock as it provides more storage for batteries and what not. I love the cheek weld it provides, but I just can't get used the bulk of it. I'll stick with the CTR, maybe add a riser one day.

So I'm left with a storage compartment in my MOE+ grip, but I can't decide on what's most important to have in there. My mind set is that there should at least be something. Why waste the space?

shua713
03-13-12, 11:58
I would probubly keep batteries in there, becuase that is the most likely thing to go out on you. JMO

Reagans Rascals
03-13-12, 11:58
Which would be most desired to have in the storage compartment of a MagPul MOE+ grip?

Batteries, spare bolt and firing pin, or bore snake?

I run a surefire X300, hence wanting batteries. I mostly do walking hunts with my gun, plinking on the hunting lease, spot light varmit hunting, range shooting, and carbine classes when I can find the time.
ALSO, this is my grab and go / grab and stay, emergency gun.

I have tried using the MagPul ACS stock as it provides more storage for batteries and what not. I love the cheek weld it provides, but I just can't get used the bulk of it. I'll stick with the CTR, maybe add a riser one day.

So I'm left with a storage compartment in my MOE+ grip, but I can't decide on what's most important to have in there. My mind set is that there should at least be something. Why waste the space?

what is the make of your weapon? The manufacture?

that will help in deciding if you may want to carry and extra bolt... if its a top tier brand, then just use batteries or a few extra rounds

Pax
03-13-12, 12:01
I keep a spare LMT complete bolt & BCM Firing Pin in a ziploc bag in grips, whether MOE or TangoDown, and batteries in the stock. I wont buy stocks that wont fit CR123As. Dont NEED anything else to keep the gun going.

Edit: I see quite the correlation between those who argue that UBRs, ACSs, etc. are "to bulky," "too heavy," etc., and those who tell me that they just cannot shoot effectively with a Glock. Being frank never works well on this forum unless youre a mod, so I should know better but.. I tell ya whut.. When you are under the stress of a real threat, and you need to get a weapon up on target, that stock's bulk and the nuances of your weapons "feel" are going to be the last things on your mind. Something to consider. If you dont expect to ever use the weapon defensively, fine. If you do.. Just consider it.

JW1069
03-13-12, 12:12
Spare bolt and pin in the grip because you'll have a 7-8 lb walking stick if those go on you. It's easy enough to keep spare batteries in your pocket or pack. If you want a compromise on the stock, look at the new Magpul STR.

Duffy
03-13-12, 12:43
I'll offer a slightly different perspective.

Just because there's storage, it doesn't mean you need to store anything in it. I'm of the belief too many people do something simply because the means was provided to them, regardless of requirements.

My first thought re: storage compartment on a weapon is can I get to it more easily if it was stored elsewhere. For me, it's easier to get to batteries, spare parts, etc. in my pack, all without the weight penalty of storing them in the storage compartments on my weapon.

So I only store things I use all the time on the weapon: the tiny bottle of lube from LaRue Tactical :jester:

Batteries: dead weight for the most part. Spare bolt and firing pin: needed a new bolt once in the last 10 years. Bore snake: I don't use one. Extra 3 rounds: the idea seems ridiculous. Ear plugs: potentially useful, light enough to be a non-issue.

To me, the weapon's handling characteristics and being as light as possible outweighs whatever benefits having these things stored might bring.

chadbag
03-13-12, 12:49
I keep a bolt and firing pin in my MIAD grips. And an Aimpoint battery in my stock. Light batteries I keep in a pack or something. But just like insurance, though I have never had to replace a bolt etc, I would rather have it and not need it than not have it. Same with the Aimpoint battery/ies. They are light weight [1/3N in the M2/M3 and the coin type for the micros] and while they last forever, I have a friend named Murphy...

A bolt and firing pin is not that heavy.

kdcgrohl
03-13-12, 13:14
Usually, Bolt(1), firing pin(1), cam pin(1), firing pin retaining pin(2) in the magpul core, slightly modified of course.
Batteries go in stocks if any at all. If rifle in question is wearing an T-1, then it's extra battery is in a KAC battery cap.
Honestly, I'm not sure any of it is necessary, but if I ever need it, I'll be glad it's there.

duece71
03-13-12, 14:19
Batteries in the fore grip, Bolt in the hand grip. Works out pretty well.

Failure2Stop
03-13-12, 14:55
When I had several battery-sucking devices stuck on my blaster I would keep a few extra 123s on the gun as well as in my armor and in my pack.
Now, I just keep a few 123s in my range bag, in my vehicle, on my support gear, as well as 2 on the gun. The minor weight increase in the stock is a non-issue to me, but having those available to breathe new life into my light because I forgot to update the batteries is a good thing.

Watrdawg
03-13-12, 15:04
Being civilian and not deploying I do not store anything on/in my weapon. I carry spare batteries, lube and a complete BCG in my range bag/pack. For my purposes I do not see a need to carry extras except for in my bag/pack.

Shiz
03-13-12, 15:49
its simple...

tactical snacks.
:D
nuff said

nortexeric
03-13-12, 16:15
Batteries in the fore grip, Bolt in the hand grip. Works out pretty well.

I believe that is the better option. I'm running a Surefire E2D and no optics. So 1 battery in the pistol grip (2 batteries don't fit in the other grip) along with spare bolt, and the second battery in the forward grip should work fine. I did however, just receive my BCM bolt carrier group, so the spare bolt idea would purely be "insurance" as someone already stated. If I cut the plug down some on the forward grip, then I may get both batteries in it.

Once upon a time I carried a carbine instead of a SAW, and had a modstock on it along with a MIAD grip. I carried bit of stuff on my rifle and in it, primarily for one reason: It went with me EVERYWHERE. My body armor, it might get locked in the truck while we grab some chow or what not. Trucks did get broken into on the FOBs. There were a few things I did not ever want to be without. Now here back at home, I don't believe it is as big of a deal, therefore I can go for a lighter rifle.

-Eric

B Cart
03-13-12, 17:00
Being civilian and not deploying I do not store anything on/in my weapon. I carry spare batteries, lube and a complete BCG in my range bag/pack. For my purposes I do not see a need to carry extras except for in my bag/pack.

I'm in this boat. I would rather keep my rifle lighter, and carry my spare bolt and batteries etc in my pack. For what I do, I always have a spare bolt, firing pin, lube, and batteries close to the gun, but not on the gun itself.

If I have to bug out, I have these items in my bug out bag as well.

RichDC2
03-13-12, 18:00
Condoms! Chicks dig my rifle!

MrFJones
03-13-12, 18:38
Most likely I would say batteries but I do keep one rifle without a light so in there will be a bolt and firing pin

Mjolnir
03-13-12, 18:39
Condoms! Chicks dig my rifle!

ROTFL!

Why not have critical parts and batteries stored?

The weight is negligible - especially if all you're doing is driving the rifle to and from the range.

I'm from South Louisiana and power outages from storms, tornadoes - and THE WORLD saw "that bitch Katrina" (as some of us nickname her) so having a spare bolt, firing pin and cam pin in a MIAD grip, small pins, batteries and lube in the SOCOM buttstock just makes sense as you just MAY have to LIVE with said carbine for a while with no support. I cannot foretell the future but what I can tell you is that "tomorrow" shall be much different than we all expect. So, expect the unexpected. Organize and Pack your gear...

krisjon
03-13-12, 19:14
I stuff my MOE grip with Tactical Bacon.

glocktogo
03-13-12, 22:01
Same as Duffy here. I keep a bottle of lube wrapped in a piece of tshirt material. You can never have too much lube! :D

Jellybean
03-13-12, 23:48
If you're running a light, I would think batteries, given the abysmal run time of most tactical lights.....
Bolt and associated parts if not.

That being said, I went a little overboard with my rifle and my "general purpose" theme, so once I get some things straightened out it will be "all of the above" for me with an ACS, MOE grip, and vert-grip with storage core.....:haha:

I honestly don't see the point of the 3-round core. Maybe I'm missing something?

Steve S.
03-14-12, 00:57
Spare bolt and pin in the grip because you'll have a 7-8 lb walking stick if those go on you. It's easy enough to keep spare batteries in your pocket or pack. If you want a compromise on the stock, look at the new Magpul STR.

The STR is the best stock I've ever laid hands on. Not too heavy, practical storage, good cheekweld, and friction lock - if that tickles your fancy. It will be going on all my ARs from here on out.

Check out rogtactical.com and google their coupon codes for some great deals.

http://img.tapatalk.com/452fc624-32ed-d41b.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/452fc624-330d-f19f.jpg
*Yes, I know the BC isn't timed. Taken before busting out the vice block.

MrSmitty
03-14-12, 12:16
ACS - CR123s for X300 and an extra 2032 for the T-1
MOE+ - Bolt, firing pin
TD Stubby - Little bottle of FrogLube liquid

ra2bach
03-14-12, 12:58
on my guns with Vtac light mounts, Centurion rails, BAD-ASS selector, or anything that requires a specific allen/torx wrench, I keep it on the gun.

I'll also have a broken shell extractor on there somewhere but I've never actually had to use one.

Clobbersauras
03-14-12, 13:04
Spare batteries go in the chest rig.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/IMG_1876.jpg

Brokennock
03-14-12, 13:19
If you are going to keep cleaning gear on the rifle I would ditch the bore snake in favor of the Otis flex rod and brush, with a few pre-soaked patches in a ziplock you will be able to clean and service the weapon in the field. Taking a historical view of the rifle, early riflemen carried a "possibles bag" which had everything they needed to maintain the rifle. By keeping everything you need for the gun on the gun you will have it with you whenever you have the weapon with you. The Otis can be used to clear obstructions, the snake can't.

RIDE
03-14-12, 13:49
Spare batteries go in the chest rig.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/IMG_1876.jpg

What's in the baggie?

Clobbersauras
03-14-12, 16:19
Extractor and pin, extractor and ejector spring and insert, gas rings and other bits I can't remember right now. I know it's probably overkill because I have a spare bolt in there anyway, bu they all fit so I figured why not? They were all oiled before I put them in the baggie. I'll eventually get a cam pin in there as well.

NeoNeanderthal
03-14-12, 16:55
The Otis can be used to clear obstructions, the snake can't.

How can the otis be used to clear obstructions?? I've got the otis system and am not understanding.

Brokennock
03-14-12, 18:52
How can the otis be used to clear obstructions?? I've got the otis system and am not understanding.

Because the cable is trapped by the I.D. of the barrel it is held in a stiffened position and can be used to knock things clear of the barrel. Unlike a bore snake that is just string. I've used my Otis to clear snow and mud from my shotgun after taking a nasty fall on a hill while out hunting.

krisjon
03-14-12, 19:15
TD Stubby - Little bottle of FrogLube liquid

Just curious, what bottle are you reusing that fits in the TD stubby? I'd like to do the same thing with my FrogLube.

Thanks!

MrSmitty
03-14-12, 20:02
Just curious, what bottle are you reusing that fits in the TD stubby? I'd like to do the same thing with my FrogLube.

Thanks!

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/575/img0404cc.jpg

I think it was a bottle for prescription eye drops, 3ml maybe. It fits perfectly in the grip if you flip it upside down :dance3:

Casull
03-14-12, 20:55
I fill it with candy... that, and/ or a mini Slim Jim.

... but gummy bears are my favorite. Worms are O.K.

saddlerocker
03-14-12, 21:59
I keep a bolt, firingpin, cam pin, and 2 firing pin retaining pins in my MOE grip.

However, with a standard MOE stock I have no lube, and im almost convinced lube would be more important.

My plans for a IMOD and the mini slip 2k bottle in the storage will solve that in the future.

TankerrobM1A1
03-15-12, 11:03
Spare bolt and firing pin. Good to have extra 'Just In Case'

krisjon
03-15-12, 11:17
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/575/img0404cc.jpg

I think it was a bottle for prescription eye drops, 3ml maybe. It fits perfectly in the grip if you flip it upside down :dance3:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to see if I can scrape one of those up from somewhere.

TehLlama
03-15-12, 14:30
For my MIAD and MOE grips, I don't like having them open.

It's just the 5rd holder, with one bottle of LT lube crammed in there. As needed, I'll shove a small range card in there that's been recruit laminated and rolled up, but that's only for two of them.

brzusa.1911
03-15-12, 14:50
A vial of lub, ear plugs

Here is my approach:

1) I test the BCG on my main carbine with 100-200 rounds, after that whenever I practice I use a BCG dedicated exclusively for range/practice. This way I know the BCG on my main carbine is on top of its game with very low round count.

2) Aimpoint I change the battery every three years.

Steamboat Bill
03-15-12, 15:05
Mine has 3 extra rounds in it.

For those that do not understand the need for 3 extra rounds in your grip: It is so that when I fire off all 60 rounds that are already in the two magazines on the weapon, and before I can make it back to my ammo cache, another couple of zombies come at me -- I can still bring it.

brzusa.1911
03-15-12, 15:10
Mine has 3 extra rounds in it.

For those that do not understand the need for 3 extra rounds in your grip: It is so that when I fire off all 60 rounds that are already in the two magazines on the weapon, and before I can make it back to my ammo cache, another couple of zombies come at me -- I can still bring it.

:lol:

MSteele
03-15-12, 19:11
TD QD VFG - Small Lube, Zip Ties
MIAD - Bolt, F Pin & small parts
EMOD - 2 cr123 in tube compartments
In small compartment on bottom of stock - microfiber cloth for aimpoint + T1 battery & 2 Allen wrenches (Rail, BAD).

Can't tell the difference in weight and when I need those Items they are with in reach...

Wormydog1724
03-15-12, 19:26
I keep my tax stamp for my can in mine. No need for a spare bolt or batteries for me. but I'm not an operator either.

sinlessorrow
03-15-12, 23:57
I carry a travel size eye dropper bottle full of Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa273/SinlesSorrow/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_7414.jpg