PDA

View Full Version : Which of these two optics would you use on a hunting 6.5 Grendel?

caporider
03-13-12, 13:56
I have a 16" 6.5G carbine that I'd like to use for hunting whitetail, feral pigs, and maybe even wolves (if DNR ends up allowing this).

I have two scopes I can use:

(1) Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 TMR reticle with Firedot, 1/10 mil knobs

(2) Nightforce 2.5-10x32 illuminated mildot reticle, 1/10 mil knobs, zero stop

I'm sort of drawn to the Leupold because the reticle is very bold and the Firedot seems to allow for very fast shots inside PBR for my 100 yard zero. The reticle is in mils and matches the 1/10 mil knobs, and the objective is bigger. However, I really like the NF for its precision capabilities, legendary build quality, and zero stop. I'm not all that much of a glass snob, so I could take either one in terms of pure glass quality.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here are images of my rifle (VX-R on top, NF on bottom):

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/ar15/65g_reccescopes_1000.jpg

ccoker
03-13-12, 15:22
kind of a wash, but I think the VXR is a brighter scope if hunting real low light

MrFJones
04-04-12, 19:58
If I have to just pick from those two I will pick the nightforce.

I personally will be using the vortex viper pst 2.5-10. I have one on 5.56 ar and love it.

jimmyp
04-14-12, 12:02
I have about 10 daytime hunting scopes. At O'dark39 cranking a small objective up to 10 (all other things equal) will result in a dim view. Also if you can see the animal thru the scope but cannot see your reticle you are guessing, I shot a deer like this once, at 25 yards, the reticle was brown, the deer was brown, it was first light, I just centered the spot in the scope and shot him. I have a NF 1-4 compact scope and between the two for the money, Leupold would be my choice at this time.

J-Dub
04-14-12, 14:21
Which ever you can get a better deal on. I wouldnt think either would be a bad choice.

What about a 1-4x?