PDA

View Full Version : M&P 45/45c Concealability

OldState
03-13-12, 14:46
I have decided to move away from my 4" 1911 (that I carry IWB) and give a modern platform a try.

After much research and fondling I think I have settled on an M&P pistol. Being that I already own, shoot, and reload for 45acp so I thought I would give them a look. Also, the reported accuracy issues of the M&P9 have scared me off.

I really want a 40c but I shoot IDPA and want to have a gun that is reasonable for that. If I like the platform I will probably get a 40c as well

I was all but ready to pull the trigger on a 45c but then handled a full size 45. I have shot all of them.

My question is for those who own these pistols and conceal them. What are your thoughts and opinions?

TAZ
03-13-12, 15:29
Don't own the compact or mid size 45, but ran the full size for a bit. I had no issues concealing the full size using a Raven Phantom IWB. The Raven combo has served me well no matter what I'm carrying. I could to the MP with an untucked tshirt. Not latex tight, but also not XXXXXL over sized either.

Over the few moons of carrying, I've run a 1911, G19, MP9, USP45C, HK45, MP45, XD45, and G21. What I've discovered is that, assuming quality holster and belt, concealment has less to do with the gun than with body type. Some people print like crazy with a 32 while I have no issues with the brick also known as the G21.

Sensei
03-13-12, 15:38
I have all three members of the M&P45 family: full-size, mid-size, and compact. That's right, there is a mid-size with a 4" barrel and full-size grip. The mid-size is my favorite of the three. It conceals just fine in a RCS Phantom with a Surefire X300. It is a little harder to find locally in my area, but they can usually be bought online for about $520.

Mine has the thumb safety and Apex FSST modification which basically turn it into a reliable polymer commander size 1911.

Here's a picture

maximus83
03-13-12, 17:05
I have 4 M&P 9's in various sizes (compact, FS, Pro), and also the mid-sized .45. The mid-size is the most accurate of my M&P's and is only about 3.7 oz heavier (empty) and really no larger dimensionally (the OAL is actually just a bit shorter) than the 9FS model. So it's easy to conceal, is really not noticeably heavier, and is more accurate.

The reasons I don't carry mine regularly or shoot it as much as I'd like are that I prefer 9mm for higher capacity, reduced recoil, and lower training cost of ammo. But, if I'm unable to get my 9mm's eventually set up to be more accurate shooters, I may convert to carrying the .45Mid.

ArRazorback
03-13-12, 17:10
I have not had any issues with the mid-size 45 in an RCS phantom. Pretty much the same size as a G-19.

OldState
03-13-12, 17:24
Mine has the thumb safety and Apex FSST modification which basically turn it into a reliable polymer commander size 1911.

Here's a picture

This is almost exactly how I envisioned setting up the gun.

As far as extra mag capacity, that was main reason I looked at the FS 45.

It seems like the Phantom is the holster of choice. Anyone using leather?

Sensei
03-13-12, 18:19
This is almost exactly how I envisioned setting up the gun.

As far as extra mag capacity, that was main reason I looked at the FS 45.

It seems like the Phantom is the holster of choice. Anyone using leather?

As for the magazine capacity, I'd stick with the 10-rounders for now. There are more reports of the magazine spring failures with the 14-round mags. There is a thread about this floating around and I'm not sure if the problem has been completely addressed.

OldState
03-13-12, 18:30
As for the magazine capacity, I'd stick with the 10-rounders for now. There are more reports of the magazine spring failures with the 14-round mags. There is a thread about this floating around and I'm not sure if the problem has been completely addressed.

I meant the difference between the FS and compact; 8 round vs 10

maximus83
03-13-12, 18:34

Yep, I have always stuck with the 10rd mags for this very reason as well.

wilco423
03-13-12, 19:44
I carry a FS 45 (with APEX duty/carry kit) as my off duty gun, normally in a cross-breed super tuck. I've been very happy with both, and they conceal just fine for me (5'11" & 190lbs).

OldState
03-13-12, 20:11
Are you guys using the Raven Phantom because it is the best option to conceal it or because you like the holster...or both.

I was looking at a Crossbreed or something similar as some reviews say the Raven is bulky. Is this not the case?

The FS is almost identical in size to a 5" 1911 and the MS obviously has the same size grip. My 4" 1911 has an officer grip and I'm still self conscience about printing. (I use a Galco Royal Guard and I'm 6' 180lbs)

Holster choice has been part of my research and will be part of my decision.

NeoNeanderthal
03-13-12, 20:16
I like the idea of the midsize 45. But really i'd like a fullsize barrel with a compact size frame. Even a 6 inch barrel is just as easy to conceal for me as a 3 inch barrel (iwb). Its the grip size (width and length) that really makes guns hard to conceal for me.

My girls full size 45 with apex components and 10-8 sights is pretty bad ass, and I'm a Glock 17 guy. Everyone who shoots the m&p45 loves it. Here in NH its what the state troopers carry. I've talked to two of them and they really like it. Though one said he wished it had higher capacity like an XDM.

Sensei
03-13-12, 22:07
I use a RCS Phantom only when carrying OWB. I often use the optional pancake wings to bring the weapon closer to my body. I only use the RCS when I plan to wear some form of a loose fitting top-shirt since the RCS is built for an attached light. It is the best OWB kydex concealment rig, but there are better options for IWB or more deep concealment. For example, I use a Comp-Tac Minotaur when carrying IWB (which appears very similar to the Crossbreed that many like). This fits both the compact or the mid-size, but I tend to use the compact if I plan to tuck the shirt over the pistol. You are correct that the mid-size will cause some degree of printing that is rather prominent if you try to tuck the shirt over the weapon. If this is a real concern for you, go with the compact.

ehcarl2983
03-14-12, 13:18
The raven phantom line is certainly not bulky. Although I generally carry a G19, It is not unusual at all for me to give the nod to the g17 plus x300 IWB. I've been absolutely thrilled with the holster and plan on sticking with the pancake design for all of my IWB holster needs/ wants. :)

Mauser KAR98K
03-14-12, 13:34
I run a FS.45 M&P with a RCS Phantom with a Streamlight TRL, IWB. Worn right, generally between the front pocket and back pocket, it is comfortable for the most part, though the it does poke in my side some. Course, I could shed some weight (6.1, 257lbs). I still like to wear a long shirt over it, though a long polo shirt or a baggy shirt can conceal it pretty good with minimal printing.

There are days were I am wearing this rig for 18 hours a day, generally with a lot of sitting, or riding in a car. I have some hot spot issues, but once I get the holster and pistol settled, it's just like pocketing my wallet or cell phone..it's just there.

My next M&P will either be a compact, or really the mid-size. My FS has the APEX FSS with the thumb saftey. There is a little creep with the FSS trigger, but it does feel and perform like a 1911. It just has a few more rounds and is lighter.

strojo
03-14-12, 17:44
With the right holster, either will conceal fine. The 45C gives you a bit less gun to worry about, but is just as nice of a shooter as the full size IMO.