PDA

View Full Version : New M&P 15.

JoeyO
03-13-12, 20:56
How yall doing..

Well, purchased my first AR last week...already having some issues. Went out the the range last weekend and tried some 4 dollar ammo. Rifle would only fire one round out a time, when the bolt went fwd it did not strip a new round off the mag. It would shoot then click, charge shoot click, etc etc. So... cleaned and lubed and tried some federal ammo. I ran through an entire mag with no issues, however I ran it down to the second to last round and click. Charged and fired off the last round and the bolt failed to lock open. After that mag I can only pull of a MAX of 2 rounds before I need to manually rack a round and the bolt never locks when the mag is empty. This is a BRAND NEW AR!!!!

Joe

ryan
03-13-12, 21:00
Call S&W, their CS is rumored to be pretty dang good, shit happens.

Ickisrulz
03-13-12, 21:21
Have you tried more than one magazine?

sammage
03-13-12, 22:03
Have you tried more than one magazine?

Or different ammo for that matter.

JSantoro
03-13-12, 22:17
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85863

Can you describe anything more about the ammo besides how much you shelled out for it, in the first case, and "federal" in the second case? There's more to each than its cost and its name.

For instance, if you were to select ".223 Rem (5.56x54mm)" from the Caliber drop-down, you'd note 13 different types to choose from, and that's just from the Premium line.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx

JoeyO
03-14-12, 05:21
I have tried tull 55 grain .223 rounds, federal 55 grn .223 FMJ, and the dealer said he tried black hill 55 grn .223 through it. I also have tried 3 different mags, all magpul.

Iraqgunz
03-14-12, 06:01
See if you can find a reliable magazine, load one round at a time and fire it to see if the bolt locks back.

Try some M193 or M855. Did you make any mods to the weapon?

Check the gas tube and the gas key and make sure that everything is straight. Insert a small stiff wire in the carrier key to check for obstructions.

Make sure that the gas tube retaining pin(roll pin) is in place.

JoeyO
03-14-12, 07:25
I will give it a shot... only problem is i cant find the barrel stamp. I know you can shoot .223 out of a .556 but not .556 out of a .223.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
03-14-12, 07:37
I wouldn't have recommended it otherwise. You should have no issues with S&W.

I will give it a shot... only problem is i cant find the barrel stamp. I know you can shoot .223 out of a .556 but not .556 out of a .223.

rob_s
03-14-12, 07:39
Stop ****ing with it. Contact S&W and get them to take a look at it. You bought a factory rifle, and this is one of the reasons to do just that. I had issues with my M&P15-22 and they took care of me without issue. If I was still on barfcom I would have wasted months fiddling with it to no end.

Send it in, get it fixed.

Scoby
03-14-12, 09:38
It may be a simple fix. I wouldn't go through the time and effort to send it back for a issue so simple I could correct it.

Try what Gunz suggested and if that doesn't correct the problem, then send it back to S&W.

danco
03-14-12, 09:41
Did you clean it to get rid of all the gunky factory oil, and then lube it thoroughly?

JoeyO
03-14-12, 10:27
There are no mods on the gun... I have cleaned and lubed, and the store that I purchased from also cleaned and lubed. I will try it again before I end up sending it in. I will try some 5.56 rounds on friday.. p.t. after work kills my range time.

Sent from my DInc using Tapatalk.

Iraqgunz
03-14-12, 10:59
Yes, you should be fine with 5.56 in the Smith.

There are no mods on the gun... I have cleaned and lubed, and the store that I purchased from also cleaned and lubed. I will try it again before I end up sending it in. I will try some 5.56 rounds on friday.. p.t. after work kills my range time.

fixit69
03-14-12, 11:53
Stop ****ing with it. Contact S&W and get them to take a look at it. You bought a factory rifle, and this is one of the reasons to do just that. I had issues with my M&P15-22 and they took care of me without issue. If I was still on barfcom I would have wasted months fiddling with it to no end.

Send it in, get it fixed.

This. I had one that loved to **** with me to no end. I learned a lot, but I could havw saved time and agravation.

Their CS is good. They no charged me for the fixes.

Colt guy
03-14-12, 16:22
Did you clean it to get rid of all the gunky factory oil, and then lube it thoroughly?

+1
Have you removed the firing pin and cleaned the grease or thick layer of goo off of it?

If you have then by all means call Smith & Wesson

JoeyO
03-14-12, 18:17
yes and yes. I got my new mags in today, and the bolt now locks back on a empty mag. Have no time for range but this is good. 5 dollar no name mag is working so far.

TacticalSledgehammer
03-14-12, 18:43
That's odd, but good luck. It could possibly be a bad mag their QC didn't catch.

wingspar
03-14-12, 20:21
yes and yes. I got my new mags in today, and the bolt now locks back on a empty mag. Have no time for range but this is good. Sooo 19 dollar magul does not work, 5 dollar no name mag works so far.

Racking the action by hand will give you different results than you will get at the range with live ammo. In my experience, if you are having the problem with .223, and not with 5.56, then there is a problem with the gun. It should run reliably with either ammo. Try it with the new mags, but my bet is that you will need to send it back to S&W.

JoeyO
03-15-12, 05:28
I gotcha, I have not tried 5.56 yet. Gunna try it today or this weekend and if it fails its getting shipped.

rob_s
03-15-12, 07:57
It may be a simple fix. I wouldn't go through the time and effort to send it back for a issue so simple I could correct it.

Ironically, I see it as the opposite. Fiddle-****, schedule range time, see if the fiddle-****ing helped, if not try more fiddle-****ing, schedule more range time...

If you are experienced with the AR, and have a range easily accessible, and lots of time to kill at the range, maybe. But if you're not going to get back to the range for a couple of weeks anyway the logical thing to do is put the gun in the hands of somebody that knows what they are doing between now and then.

JoeyO
03-15-12, 08:26
I dont mind fiddle ****ing... If i can fix 80 million dollar military aircraft I can fix a AR. I have to learn the inner workings and the operational aspect of the gun, but breaking down and repairing is somthing I can easily attack. Now time on the other hand is somthing that I dont have.

Scoby
03-15-12, 08:43
Ironically, I see it as the opposite. Fiddle-****, schedule range time, see if the fiddle-****ing helped, if not try more fiddle-****ing, schedule more range time...

If you are experienced with the AR, and have a range easily accessible, and lots of time to kill at the range, maybe. But if you're not going to get back to the range for a couple of weeks anyway the logical thing to do is put the gun in the hands of somebody that knows what they are doing between now and then.

I don't disagree with this rob.
If the man doesn't have the experience to do what you always seem to describe as "fiddle ****ing" and has to schedule range time, then by all means send it back.

My opinions maybe a little biased since I shoot out of my back door and have the ability to work on these things.

And don't try to tell anyone you don't "fiddle ****" with an AR. ;)

JoeyO
03-15-12, 20:01
Took it out today..still same issues. Going back to s&w.

kittyhawk
03-15-12, 22:32
Mine S&A had the issue, I sent it back to s&a they fixed it and had it back in 7 days total. It turned out to be the gas block was off center. So send it back s&a customer service is great to deal with.

Scoby
03-16-12, 10:02
Sorry you're still having issues and have to send it back.

JoeyO
03-18-12, 18:44
I took it out on saturday just to shoot... now its not even ejecting the rounds... one of the rounds my bolt got. Im still waiting on my label from SW

kwg020
03-20-12, 18:07
I assume you did a clean and lube before going out just to iliminate that variable? kwg

JoeyO
04-14-12, 06:58
Long story short, turned it in and received a brand new, in the box DPMS Panther Oracle. Off to the range today! Tomorrow, pig time.

ryan
04-14-12, 07:01
Long story short, turned it in and received a brand new, in the box DPMS Panther Oracle. Off to the range today! Tomorrow, pig time.

:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

JoeyO
04-14-12, 07:41
Lol.. why is that? Im a headshot guy, amd my feeder is 15 yards from the blind.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

duece71
04-14-12, 07:48
Wait a minute.....what just happened here? Did you send your Smith back to S&W???? What did Smith say? How did you go from S&W to DPMS? You do know that S&W and DPMS are NOT on the same page as far as quality is concerned? Please tell us that you are just joking swapping your Smith for a DPMS.

JoeyO
04-14-12, 08:07
Ok here is the story...

Went to a local gun shop, asked for a M&P15. The dude grabbed an M&P off the self, sold it to me. When I got it.. well the entire story is in this thread. I sent it in to S&W for repair, this is what they said. It is not a true M&P, only the lower is a smith, everything else is aftermarket. The individual who sold me the gun at the shop did not know that ( I hope). Smith sent the gun back and I went straight to the gun shop. They gave me a choice between DPMS and Palmetto arms. I am fine with the trade. Honestly I do not know much about AR's, the only reason why I purchased the S&W was the price. So getting another AR of the same price is OK with me.

djmorris
04-14-12, 08:23
Ok here is the story...

Went to a local gun shop, asked for a M&P15. The dude grabbed an M&P off the self, sold it to me. When I got it.. well the entire story is in this thread. I sent it in to S&W for repair, this is what they said. It is not a true M&P, only the lower is a smith, everything else is aftermarket. The individual who sold me the gun at the shop did not know that ( I hope). Smith sent the gun back and I went straight to the gun shop. They gave me a choice between DPMS and Palmetto arms. I am fine with the trade. Honestly I do not know much about AR's, the only reason why I purchased the S&W was the price. So getting another AR of the same price is OK with me.

Palmetto is 5x as good as DPMS. DPMS is arguably the worst AR brand there is. Better luck next time. :o

mplecha
04-14-12, 08:24
That's too bad.. DPMS is not highly regarded here and for good reason.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

JoeyO
04-14-12, 08:27
Fml

NoveskeFan
04-14-12, 08:36
What did this shop charge for the S&W?

JoeyO
04-14-12, 08:38
It was a little over 600.

NoveskeFan
04-14-12, 08:54
Was the DPMS priced the same as the S&W? This shop sold the S&W as new? $600 is not the highest I've seen DPMS AR's going for. I know a guy that spent $850 on one.

It was a little over 600.

JoeyO
04-14-12, 08:58
Actually this one was 757. He hooked me up cause all the issues i have had.

Beat Trash
04-14-12, 09:28
Good Luck...

DPMS has earned the reputation it has, over a period of time.

I don't know that I'd be doing any further business with a shop that sold me a S&W rifle, leading me to believe it was a factory new gun, when in fact it wasn't.

djmorris
04-14-12, 09:33
I'd sell the DPMS asap and put the money towards piecing your own rifle together. You could build a Spike's or Palmetto for like $600'ish and the quality is way better than a DPMS. Or, you could just put that money towards an actual quality rifle such as BCM, Colt, or LMT and be set for life. Just sayin' ...... :p

Quentin
04-14-12, 10:33
Man you need a new LGS! They sell you a "new" M&P15 that doesn't work and then turns out to be a bubba'd build on a stripped S&W lower.

Then instead of giving your money back so you can buy something good they hand you a DPMS, another bubba special even if it is factory fresh. The PSA would have been a better choice but getting your money back is what you really should do. Then take a look at BCM, Colt and Daniel Defense... or if you're really set on a $600 AR, look at a real M&P15 Sport.

wingspar
04-14-12, 10:37
Did your S&W come in a factory box with manual? If not, sounds fishy.

falcon69
04-14-12, 11:10
Everytime I buy I new AR, it's pulled from the back room-factory seal box, sealed case and sealed in plastic. Be careful with your gun shop. just sayin.

sdacbob
04-15-12, 13:03
If he sold you that S&W as new and not used you have a hell of a good lawsuit.

Iraqgunz
04-15-12, 13:40
OP,

Do yourself a favor. Hopefully you haven't fired the DPMS yet. Take it back and DEMAND an full refund. Espeically in light of the BS they pulled.

Then get yourself a real AR like the Colt 6920 or something from Daniel Defense or LMT. If you have to wait another month or so then so be it.

FeltaDorce
11-01-12, 18:34
+1 to what Iraqgunz said, with one addition:

Never do business with this gunshop again. Never let your friends or family do business with this shop. They tried to flip you over and fark you, no question in my mind. Then when you came back, they did it again.

Also, report the store to any business ratings agencies in the area, like the BBB. Post on Google reviews. Contact S&W and let them know that this store is selling fraudulent SW gear. Take away their business, they deserve it.

samnev
11-02-12, 12:10
That's too bad.. DPMS is not highly regarded here and for good reason.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

While I agree that DPMS does not have a sterling reputation I have to say there is 1 of their rifles that has served me well. I have 3 308 platforms an Armalite AR 10-A4, an LMT MWS and a DPMS SASS. All have the PRS stocks and wear NF NXS 5.5-22X50 scopes with ZS & HST. Of the 3 the most accurate is the SASS. It will consistently shoot 0.75" or less 5 shoot groups at 100 yards if I do my part. While both the LMT and AR 10 will occasionally shoot that well they are not as consistent as the SASS. Fit and finish seem to be equal on all 3. The LMT is the second best shooter followed by the Arrnalite. The rifle that I have the most problem with is the LMT. When I first got it it was shooting shotgun groups. LMT told me tto re-torque the barrel which I did 2x. After the 2nd time the LMT started shooting good groups. I guess the crappy supplied wrench got it right the 2nd time. Ironically LMT told me when I called they fire the rifle for accuracy before they ship them.:lol: I guess mine fell thru the proverbial cracks.
c

samnev
11-02-12, 12:18
Sorry double post

thehun
11-03-12, 18:49
I wouldn't trust a DPMS worth my life...if I would have the choice between a overprice DPMS AR and a cheapo AK...i'll take the AK.

I'd demand a refund...

samnev
11-03-12, 21:24
I would n't trust a DPMS worth my life...if I would have the choice between a overprice DPMS AR and a cheapo AK...i'll take the AK.

I'd demand a refund...

Unless you have owned and shot a DPMS SASS you shouldn't make such an uniformed statement. You like AK's, great guns for up close it's a POS for hitting anything past 150 yards (I shot all forms, semis and class 3 for years) with any certainty. With the short sight radius it makes accurate shooting quite difficult. I've had my SASS for a number of years very accurate excellent fit and finish and never a single problem of any kind. While I agree I would not own any other model DPMS the SASS is my favorite 308 over my LMT MWS and AR 10A4. So go ahead and get you refund and shoot you inaccurate crudely made POS AK's

Mr.Anderson
11-03-12, 21:40
:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide:

^
Made me LMAO

Then, OP says... "FML"

:no: <(me, smh)

fdxpilot
11-03-12, 23:31
Unless you have owned and shot a DPMS SASS you shouldn't make such an uniformed statement. You like AK's, great guns for up close it's a POS for hitting anything past 150 yards (I shot all forms, semis and class 3 for years) with any certainty. With the short sight radius it makes accurate shooting quite difficult. I've had my SASS for a number of years very accurate excellent fit and finish and never a single problem of any kind. While I agree I would not own any other model DPMS the SASS is my favorite 308 over my LMT MWS and AR 10A4. So go ahead and get you refund and shoot you inaccurate crudely made POS AK's

I'm confused. What does the accuracy of your 1 .308 SASS have to do with the truckloads of crappy .223 ARs DPMS ships out.

thehun
11-04-12, 07:33
I'm confused. What does the accuracy of your 1 .308 SASS have to do with the truckloads of crappy .223 ARs DPMS ships out.

BINGO

samnev
11-04-12, 12:00
BINGO

If you bothered to take the time you to carefully read my post you would have seen I agreed the only DPMS I would own is the SASS. If you Google the DPMS SASS you would see I am not the only owner of that weapon that thinks highly of it. It is not only accurate but its fit, finish is equal to my LMT MWS and better than the AR 10 A4. and has proven to be just as reliable over a much longer period of ownership. You statement was so broad it painted all DPMS products with the same brush. I would suggest you make your post more definitive next time and there would be no adverse comments to your posts. :rolleyes: