PDA

View Full Version : Does Break-Free "go bad"?

Mitch1352
03-13-12, 21:42
I have a 2 gal jug that I bought about 15 years ago. I opened it today, after shaking it quite well, and it looked kind of dark. Seems to feel and work fine, but the appearance made me wonder.

GTifosi
03-13-12, 22:17
Shake some more, then a bit more after that.
The teflon or whatever the white goop in there is has settled to the bottom of the jug and won't come up without a lot of rattling around or possibly even stirring.

Can it actually go bad from age while in the container?
I doubt it. At least no more likely than any other petrolium product would.

a0cake
03-13-12, 22:55
I've run into some really old CLP that was dark brown like you described and separated. Even the most violent shaking / mixing wouldn't make it "right" again. It started to gum up really bad in short order...ended up tossing the rest of it. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with storage conditions. But bottom line, yes, there is a point where it smells, looks, and performs noticeably different based on age. I would just dispose of it, personally.

GTifosi
03-13-12, 23:10
Ya, storage conditions may have an effect.
The oldest bottle I recovered was 12 years old still foil sealed under the cap. It was in a cool dark place though as opposed to a hot shed or out in the garage.
REALLY had to work to get the goop mixed back in though.

I just don't see oil going bad. Perhaps it gummed up due to it evaporating at an accelerated rate compared to 'fresh' stuff due to certain parts of the mix not being fully emulsified any more.
Well, normal evaporation rate for that particular component when not mixed with the other components.

In retrospect, way more work than it was worth when compared against, oh, I don't know, something like walking half a block to the nearest place that sells motor oil, MMO, ATF and the like to pick up a quart of choice.

I concede that a0cake offers the more sensible path at this stage, or at least one that's far easier to reach the end of and have potentially more consistant results.

ST911
03-14-12, 12:05
When in doubt, throw it out. Lube is cheap. Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade to a much better product.

fixit69
03-14-12, 12:14
Damn, Ive been usi ng that stuff for 20 years and never had it long enought to go bad. Being a CLP, I guess its possible to breakdown and /or "go bad".

Shagnasty
03-15-12, 01:06
separation happens, as well as the plastic container being gas permeable. it has allowed moisture to more or less pass through and contaminate the bottle. Same reason they recommend throwing out brake fluid after one use even if there's some left. Buy some new oil that isn't mixed with solvent and feel better.

Markasaurus
03-15-12, 16:03
Petroleum products do go bad after a period of time. Especially if it is exposed to the air, in which case it happens faster. Motor oil has anti-oxidant blended in for this reason.
Also gasoline also starts going bad after a couple months (although there are additives that can keep it usable for 2 years). Clp is teflon in a petrolem carrier after all so just like everybody is saying, it obviously does go bad.

As to whether you should toss it or just shake the Hell out of it and use it - i'd email the company and ask.

Mitch1352
03-15-12, 17:07
It seems like much ado about nothing, so I will trash it and get something else. I guess it is the niggardly side of me that hates to waste something like that. If it has a shelf life of however many years, I am sure that this jug is probably past it. Thanks much for the help.

Univibe
03-15-12, 19:48
Petroleum products do go bad after a period of time. Especially if it is exposed to the air, in which case it happens faster. Motor oil has anti-oxidant blended in for this reason.
Also gasoline also starts going bad after a couple months (although there are additives that can keep it usable for 2 years). Clp is teflon in a petrolem carrier after all so just like everybody is saying, it obviously does go bad.

As to whether you should toss it or just shake the Hell out of it and use it - i'd email the company and ask.

Grease goes bad, too. I recently found a large tube of white lithium grease I forgot I had. Stored for years in a garage in SE Tejas--lots of high temperatures. Brown liquid had separated from the grease. When I kneaded the tube vigorously the components did not re-combine. It went into the trash pronto.

Heavy Metal
03-15-12, 22:12
It seems like much ado about nothing, so I will trash it and get something else. I guess it is the niggardly side of me that hates to waste something like that. If it has a shelf life of however many years, I am sure that this jug is probably past it. Thanks much for the help.

I use old CLP to oil the hinges and cables on my Jeep. No need to trash it.

Just cut it with a bit of ATF.

Heavy Metal
03-15-12, 22:13
I wonder what would happen if you put it on a paint-shaker?

Blankwaffe
03-16-12, 03:06
If I remember reading correctly the military has a type II inspection requirement for CLP.So its sold off as surplus for a reason.

Other than storage conditions such as excessive heat,or temp variations regarding condensation etc. and chemical purity,I'd suspect the volitile solvents is the main contributor to molecular degredation of the CLP even in sealed containers over time.

One of the main reasons I like Weapon Shield CLP so much is no solvents or solids, and high purity grade synthetics.As well as the fluorination process used on Weapon Shield bottles insures shelf life....which Im told by George Fennell of Steel Shield Tech is infinite,requiring no type II inspection requirement.

Only concern of oil degredation in storage would be excessive heat causing auto-catalytic breakdown at above 212F for extended periods.
Best advice is store your gun oils in a cool dry place out of direct sunlight.

Beat Trash
03-16-12, 08:20
I still have two gallon jugs of CLP Breakfree that I obtained in about 1987. Each jug is now about 1/3 to 1/2 full.

It's still good, you just have to shake it for a while.

I still use it as a rust preventive and to lube some of my range toys, keep sakes, and safe queens. No sense in throwing it out if it's still functional. I've always stored it in a room with consistent temperature and no direct exposure to sunlight. Don't know if this effects it or not.

I no longer use it on my working guns. I've found products that work better, and reserve these products for my working guns.

Blankwaffe
03-16-12, 17:57
I still have two gallon jugs of CLP Breakfree that I obtained in about 1987. Each jug is now about 1/3 to 1/2 full.

It's still good, you just have to shake it for a while.

I still use it as a rust preventive and to lube some of my range toys, keep sakes, and safe queens. No sense in throwing it out if it's still functional. I've always stored it in a room with consistent temperature and no direct exposure to sunlight. Don't know if this effects it or not.

I no longer use it on my working guns. I've found products that work better, and reserve these products for my working guns.

Direct/partial sun light on anything in storage is bad in my opinion.Causes uncontrolled heating/cooling variations of the containers.I worry about it in regards to ammo cans,lockers,safes and bottled product.

Clear lube bottles may even allow UV.Don't know what real affects UV would have on the oils as I have not research it,but rapid changes in temps can cause condensation to build in containers.Not to mention excessive heat.

I do know sunlight is hard on clothing and kit.Good example is how the sun can fade and degrade curtains on your windows over time from partial day sun exposure.So I try to avoid those situations if possible for any of my kit/gear.

Lots of info available from the automotive lube market to see that even moderate heat does have long term effects on lubricants even if not used or in limited use.Once the inhibitor packages are consumed the oils can degrade and increase viscosity etc..
Lots of reading available on that subject.