PDA

View Full Version : Brass Catcher- Do they work effectively?

oldcrotchety
12-29-07, 14:22
Any experience using a mesh type brass catcher on an AR15? Seems like a good idea assuming it doesn't cause the rifle to jam.

55Kingpin
12-29-07, 15:01
Any experience using a mesh type brass catcher on an AR15? Seems like a good idea assuming it doesn't cause the rifle to jam.

There in lies the rub.

I picked up one of those cheap mesh bag brass catchers, thinking it was cheap enough to give it a try. You can get a few rounds downrange before one eventually bounces off the bag and back into the action of your rifle (assuming you're using it on an AR).

I've heard the solid box-type catcher made by 3BUCC is the best, but I don't know. I've gotten used to just keeping the grass short on my backyard range, or throwing a big tarp down.

markm
12-29-07, 16:11
I saw a couple of guys using them at the range. They seemed to work OK for them, but they weren't firing long strings.

Rmplstlskn
12-30-07, 00:56
The cheapy mesh ones do indeed occasionally bounce brass back into the action, but if you have the bag on, you are probably at a bench or casual line anyways, so no big deal, just clear and go on.

If you put them on TIGHT with tension they stay put fairly well but they are flimsy...

I would never use the mesh bag during a real training exercise...

I have a hard plastic that worked GREAT but it only snaps onto carry handles... :(

If you have a FAL, DSA has a neat brass catcher that is very sturdy, locks into the DSA Extreme mount and does NOT cause brass to bounce back... With .308 ammo so rare and expensive, as well as good brass, I save every one of my non-berdan .308 cases...

For the AR, still nothing great out there...

Rmpl

toddackerman
01-02-08, 19:00
For training purposes I'd opt to not use them. They won't be there when the SHTF, and they interfere with manipulation of the rifle.

I know pickng brass is a pain (I just had major back surgery in August) but i want to replicate my training as much as possible with real world functioning, including "Failure Drills".

Now if you're just shooting off the bench,and don't care about training...have at it! :)

RogerinTPA
01-02-08, 22:48
Yeah I'm tired of playing range chicken too. I saw a few brass catchers for flat top ar-15's here. (http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=MD103&Affiliate=galati122007) The catchers look like they are made of study nylon, not mesh. Do a google search.

Rmplstlskn
01-03-08, 10:15
Yeah I'm tired of playing range chicken too. I saw a few brass catchers for flat top ar-15's here. (http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=MD103&Affiliate=galati122007) The catchers look like they are made of study nylon, not mesh. Do a google search.

That is the same rinky-dink design as the mesh bag ones, just a better bag material... Still far too flexible for anything other than bench work...

The A1/A2 catcher that works well is also shown there... but needs the carry handle.

Rmpl

markm
01-03-08, 10:20
I ran into the brass catcher dudes again at the range. I noticed one of them had a rubber band tied to the the forward assist to help hold the mesh catcher in place. :cool:

When the mesh got somewhat full the catcher was being pulled away from the ejection port and brass was getting away.

Viggen
04-10-08, 13:55
Brass catcher over at www.3gungear.com is a decent unit.
Yes, it does work. But don't kid yourself and think anything will continue to function when full.
Dillon also carries them.

taliv
04-10-08, 15:11
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3444331&postcount=3

here's the one I built.

essentially, i took an ARMS #17 mount, screwed a 1/4" steel rod to it that i shaped into a rectangle, then sewed a mesh bag on it, with velcro on the bottom.

it works great, and I move it back and forth between an HK UMP in 45acp, several AR15s and basically any gun with a rail in the 3 o'clock position forward of the ejection port.

it's never caused a malf, but then, i've never shot more than one-mag through it w/o emptying it. the only problem i've had is that the mesh i used wasn't heat-resistant and the hot brass melted a hole in it, which i patched with tape. :) that's fairly easy to resolve though, when i get around to it.