PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense or BCM? close to same price, can

steelonsteel
03-13-12, 22:47
These are both top tier guns, and both are similar set up and similar quality. I am able to choose between these two guns and the differance is only about $50 so nothign worht worrying about. Both are new. What would you choose and why? I'm having a hard time making up my mind.

a0cake
03-13-12, 22:49
How is each configured?

steelonsteel
03-13-12, 23:06
Guess I should have added that info.

Both have m4 profile 16" barrel, DD free float quad rail, DD a1 sights, carbine gas. BCM has standard stock, DD has MOE stock - nothing to get unhinged about. other than that basically the same other than manufacturer and any theoretical differance between the two in parts quality [which is where I am stumped - they both meet spec so I can't tell if there is any differance].

Wiggity
03-13-12, 23:09
IMHO, Daniel defense makes the best rails out there

ache_d
03-13-12, 23:12
Can't loose. Flip a coin. Then enjoy! I somehow have a DD upper and a BCM lower config. Ha!

I do lean a bit towards DD but can't necessarily justify why. Just do!

amd5007
03-13-12, 23:13
BCM. I have both and I like the finish on the BCM. That is the only difference between my two carbines. But if you use them, it isn't much of a difference.

Failure2Stop
03-13-12, 23:16
Whichever one is setup the way you prefer is the right choice.

a0cake
03-13-12, 23:18
How is each configured?

Guess I should have added that info.

Both have m4 profile 16" barrel, DD free float quad rail, DD a1 sights, carbine gas. BCM has standard stock, DD has MOE stock - nothing to get unhinged about. other than that basically the same other than manufacturer and any theoretical differance between the two in parts quality [which is where I am stumped - they both meet spec so I can't tell if there is any differance].

You're going to get a lot of responses from people who are partial to either BCM or DD for undefinable reasons. I don't think anybody on here has quantifiable, verifiable data proving the superiority of either company's offering. Were it me, I would go for the DD because of the MOE stock since they are otherwise configured identically.

TehLlama
03-13-12, 23:29
If you're building a complete gun, just get a blemished BCM lower half, and DD upper... with a BCM charging handle. Really no reason other than configuration to choose one over the other. My reasoning for the above is that getting a blemished BCM saves money (on item, and no excise for complete rifle), and that it's simpler to choose a different, more flexible upper from DD (V5/V5LW is arguably more versatile)

ClearedHot
03-13-12, 23:32
If both rifles are in the same price range and the DD has a CHF barrel, while the BCM does not...I would definitely go with the DDM4 instead. The MOE stock is also a nice bonus. Looks like the DDM4 is the better value out of the two choices.

Quentin
03-14-12, 00:45
If both rifles are in the same price range and the DD has a CHF barrel, while the BCM does not...I would definitely go with the DDM4 instead. The MOE stock is also a nice bonus. Looks like the DDM4 is the better value out of the two choices.

That's a good point and why I went with a DD LW midlength upper over the BCM. I caught a good sale and basically got the CHF barrel for about the same price as the BCM without. Even though it's not necessary I couldn't ignore CHF.

BCmJUnKie
03-14-12, 00:52
BCM hands down.

Flip a coin if you cant decide.

None of that 2 out of 3 shit after it lands the first time :D

hunt_ak
03-14-12, 01:06
BCM hands down.

Hands down? Care to elaborate?

polymorpheous
03-14-12, 01:12
Are we really going to let another brand x vs. brand y thread stay open?

OP, do your research. Make your own decision. Only you know what you need out of the rifle.

BCmJUnKie
03-14-12, 01:21
Hands down? Care to elaborate?

Ya. Im BCMJunKiE.

Not Daniel Defense JunkiE

hunt_ak
03-14-12, 01:26
Ya. Im BCMJunKiE.

Not Daniel Defense JunkiE

Fair enough.... :):p

ClearedHot
03-14-12, 01:30
Can we please try to keep the fanboy mentality/nonsense out of these kinds of threads and stick to actual data to help people make the decision?

HamA2
03-14-12, 01:48
I'd pick up a BCM, but acknowledge you can't really go wrong either way.

BCM throws a bunch of free swag with your order when you buy from them!

BCmJUnKie
03-14-12, 01:56
Fair enough.... :):p

Lol.

I thought it was funny.

I dont really understand the "Fanboy" comment. It preference....it has nothing to do with being "Fanboy".

Isnt that what this board is anyway? People are gonna stand by thier purchase either way, I have shot plenty of DD rifles. Love them.

BCM is what Ive always gone with.

I guess casue I like the little white letters on my reciever.

They make you shoot better you know :secret:

Im also curious to what "Data" youre reffering to???

Bothe companies have a strong reputation of not only cust. service, but they are in spec, quality materials, proper staking, etc etc etc.

Like I said, PREFERENCE.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
03-14-12, 02:21
Daniel Defense-- IMO, better fit and finish.

Steve S.
03-14-12, 02:26
From what I understand, Daniel Defense makes their own barrels, rails, small parts, and lowers in-house. Not sure on Uppers.

DD has also been in the Cold Hammer Forged Barrel game for awhile longer then the BCM BFH. BCM also sources their barrels.

Daniel Defense has mil contracts, and can produce prototypes in-house for complete control. BCM sources out their own designs (I.E. VLTOR Gunfighter).

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. It often means dips in QC to meet demand (I am not saying DD is experience this). Making everything yourself doesn't mean better (think RRA rail systems). However, I don't think DD has missed a step yet. You could argue their VFGs didn't take off well, but small beans.

I know they both produce great end products, I just view them very differently. DD is a high quality manufacturer that build guns. BCM is more a custom AR15 assembly shop / armorers.

This isn't to slight BCM by any means. They are a shining example of how you can find out what works, source high quality materials, and make the best end product available.

I'd feel comfortable with either complete rifle / carbine.

J_Dub_503
03-14-12, 03:19
Either or, flip a nickel and decide. I personally prefer BCM over DD just because of the name. I'd much rather have BCM or Bravo Company roll marked on my lower rather than the name Daniel. That's just purely aesthetics and personal preference though, none of which pertains to functionality.

R0CKETMAN
03-14-12, 04:40
If you're set on the DD rail then pick which one you prefer.

If you want say a KAC rail or something else, go BCM

hkp2k
03-14-12, 06:05
FWIW, I very recently had the same dilemma for my first AR (so recent I haven't even shot it yet!). In the end I chose DD because:

1) It ended up being cheaper in the "identical" configuration (i.e. CHF barrel, DD rail etc.)
2) It came with extra goodies like the MOE stock, and a case for the rifle.
3) It has a chamfered or slightly "flared" mag well. I think this might slightly help when reloading.
4) It includes a sling swivel attachment behind the rear receiver. I wanted one of these anyway.
5) I have read that DD has a good reports for having the upper locking up tight (i.e. very minute or no play) with the lower. While this may not affect the functionality, and is nothing to get bent out of shape over, it was something to consider when everything else was the same. My rifle turned out to match what the reports were saying.

I really wanted a BCM at first, but after mulling over the actual differences (not many), I chose DD. I am not disappointed.

Iraqgunz
03-14-12, 06:19
We have dozens of these threads every month. At the end of the day only you know what you want. Both brands are good and will serve you well. It's time to move on and make the purchase.