PDA

View Full Version : USGI vs Magpul MOE stock

Wiggity
03-13-12, 23:53
I'm basically wondering what the moe stock does better than the usgi stock. Anyone with experience know?

Search = used

MegademiC
03-14-12, 00:36
MOE is ussually tighter negating most wobble but not as solid as the ctr. However, IMO this is more of a "fit/finish" thing as every m4 stock ive used quits rocking once shouldered and has never actually had an impact on my shooting(that i could tell).

The moe also has a protected locking mechanism and a rubber butt pad. My favorite thing is the profile of the butt. The m4 stock is like a tear-drop shape and does not fit into my shoulder well. The MOE is pretty much straight and much thinner, and finds a home right where it should when I shoulder it. That said, its mostly comfort, and im not gonna drop $50 on somthing that feels good for my gun. My friend has one(moe) and I've used it a couple times.

pira114
03-14-12, 00:46
I use the standard M4 stock. Only because it works and works well. And that, for me, is the reason behind most of my hardware. It works for what it was intended to do.

Nothing against the MOE. I've used a friend's rifle with it a few times. Just didn't see what it would do better for me.

HamA2
03-14-12, 01:56
It's pretty much just a better thought out basic stock. If you're building from scratch, I'd pick up a MOE over the standard stock, but if I already had one, I probably wouldn't ditch it unless I felt OCD about all matching Magpul, or colors.

They do offer you some more options for mounting a sling however, which may be worth it to you.

Thats where the MOE line came from, Magpul Original Equipment, designed to replace/substitute original stock sets.

Beat Trash
03-14-12, 08:39
I only bought my first MOE stock last year. (Been shooting some version of an AR since 1983).

The standard M4 type of stock worked well enough for me that I could see no reason to switch, until I shot a friends gun with a MOE stock.

It made enough of a difference in how the gun felt when shouldered that to me it was worth the extra few dollars. The stock does lock up a bit tighter than the factory stocks. But I never noticed the wobble on the factory stocks until I got the MagPul.

I was happy with the fit and feel of the MOE stock. Until I shot a gun with a Socom stock. I really liked the check weld. When MagPul came out with the STR stock, I bought a pair of them.

To me, the USGI stock works well enough that replacing it would be low on my priority list of things to do to the gun. I went for a lot of years never giving the stock a second thought.

I'd suggest trying one before you buy. If your first thought is "wow", then get one. But if your first thought is "eh", then don't.

m4brian
03-14-12, 09:09
As others have said, not a BIG deal. If wobble affects your concentration, maybe. Having said that, I have a CTR, and a Roger's Superstock. The Superstock locks up tighter - tighter than a drum - NO play. But, its butt shape is a little more conventional, so watch that. Its fine for me and I like the fit. I rubber butt pad is nice for many reasons.

If I wanted the "big cheek weld" I'd also look at the Emod. The Emod is super tough, and a superior design with the negative toe angle - me thinks. I have one and it is a very well made piece of kit.

Jturbo
03-15-12, 12:43
I had a Moe that was just as loose as a standard m4 stock so I noticed nothing different in that aspect. As others have said you may feel a bit more comfortable with the check weld and footprint if the stock compared to standard.

TankerrobM1A1
03-15-12, 15:09
Depends on how 'tight' whole system is. When I was in the Army my M4 USGI was perfect. One doesn't affect accuracy from what I can tell providing all is 'tight'

dwhitehorne
03-15-12, 16:14
I think the rubber pad helps keep the stock in your shoulder in akward shooting positions, but the best thing about the MOE stock is not having the raised rib around the front edge of the stock body. I see people on the line all the time short stroke the charging handle when they bump that rib on the m4 stock. Never happens with the Magpul stocks. David

kajen
03-15-12, 16:29
maybe you had a commercial diameter stock on a milspec tube? all the moe and ctr ive handled been tight as a rock

I had a Moe that was just as loose as a standard m4 stock so I noticed nothing different in that aspect. As others have said you may feel a bit more comfortable with the check weld and footprint if the stock compared to standard.

amd5007
03-15-12, 17:00
I'm a big fan of the standard M4 stock. It may have a bit of wobble but there is no trouble with that. I picked up a lightly used CTR a while back and I see very little advantage to it over the standard stock. In all honesty, I wish Colt would go back to producing the CAR stock.

JSGlock34
03-15-12, 19:46
When upgrading from the USGI stock, the two features I think are actual improvements are a rubber buttpad and a built-in QD socket. The MOE only has one of those, and considering that Magpul recently reduced the price on the CTR (which has both plus the friction lock), I find it hard to recommend the MOE over the rest of the Magpul line.

Redhat
03-15-12, 23:01
I like the rubber butt pad because it grips wherever the gun is mounted in my shoulder and does not slide under recoil like the GI stock.

usmcvet
03-15-12, 23:11
I like the MOE but pad and the way I attach my sling to it.

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/C638B344-orig.jpg

http://i859.photobucket.com/albums/ab160/usmcvet0331/Snapbucket/478A9324-orig.jpg

jwperry
03-16-12, 08:53
MOE doesn't pull my facial hair.

Gunfighter 9
03-16-12, 10:32
I personally prefer the CTR. I know its more than the MOE but I like the fact that it locks more securely in place. I realize this has almost no impact on shooting, but it is a preference. I am a huge fan of magpul. All the furniture on my rifle is Magpul, and not because I am a fanboy, but because they make really high quality gear. For the price of an MOE you can't go wrong, but if you got the cash I would suggest the CTR.

Noodles McGee
03-17-12, 05:25
MOE doesn't pull my facial hair.

Huge plus for me! I shoot all day with a gi stock and the front of the stock looks like a whisker biskit. Vltor stocks give me night terrors.

I also like the rubber butt pad cause it keeps my rifle from sliding on to the floor when I lean it up.

And the sling attachment works for me.

The not having a bald spot on my face is worth 50bucks

NitroDave08
03-17-12, 09:36
The shape of the USGI fit my shoulder groove better. The only thing was that the edges did cut into after an hour of shooting or so. Found a pad that fits on the stock end and now I can shoot all day. The MagPul just didnt fit right and I passed on it. When I ordered it I was a lil concerened about it staying put. No worries. I got it at Cabella's. One thing that I like about the USGI is that there isnt a beam/strut piece that blocks the adjusting level.

You need to try several and see which fits you better.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt199/Nitro-tastic/Guns/Daves%20Guns/Colt%20LE6920/DSC_0002.jpg

cjnuckols50
03-17-12, 13:13
The rifles we've got at work have the standard USGI. They work just fine but I would much prefer something like the MOE. The MOE locks in tight and has better attachment point for me. I had one on my personal rifle until I switched to the B5.

m4brian
03-17-12, 16:40
Check out the Colt Superstock - Grant has them for cheaper than MOE, it locks MUCH tighter than a CTR, and the shape is more like USGI.

Alaskapopo
03-17-12, 16:42
I'm basically wondering what the moe stock does better than the usgi stock. Anyone with experience know?

Search = used

Better cheek weld and better looks. Although I like the Vltor Emod the best.
Pat

DPMSTacticool
03-19-12, 18:32
I do not have experience with the moe but I do have the ctr and it is a very tight fit when the friction lock is not engaged. Also the cheek weld feels a lot nicer.

sgtbutt
03-19-12, 19:04
Multiple attachment points, colors, enclosed adjustment bar, rubber butpad etc etc. I prefer the CTR over the MOE strictly because of the QD socket.

This weekend I did try my brother's SOPMOD on my SBR......... Yeah I think I know what stock I'm using for my 300 BLK SBR.

What it comes down is personal preference. If you're building and like the MOE go for it. If you can though try to shoulder as many stocks as you can. You will be surprised at the difference a stock makes for different guns. I have UBRs on my Mega MA-Ten and my 6.8 SPC, I have a CTR on my SBR. Up until throwing my brothers stock on mine the only chance I had using it was on an LMT MWS and there is a big difference in platforms.

Try shouldering as many stocks with similiar set ups to your rifle.

Wiggity
04-04-12, 00:24
Ended up going with the emod

Preliator
04-04-12, 00:49
For me the three big differances that make the MOE the winner are the Rubber buttpad (especially with plate carrier or soft body armor), thinner buttpad (for same reason as above) and more options for mounting a sling.