PDA

View Full Version : Good Shoot. NYC. Shooter Not Charged.

30 cal slut
03-14-12, 12:43
I did a double take as this was in Queens County.

n.b. 1) long guns in NYC okay provided they don't meet the statutory definition of an assault weapon, and 2) they are registered with the NYPD.

http://www.nypost.com/f/print/news/local/queens/janitor_blast_kills_grocery_store_uyjygz6ODv0dMDBWpOmDFP

Janitor blast kills grocery store punk

By GEORGETT ROBERTS, LARRY CELONA and BOB FREDERICKS

Last Updated: 3:26 AM, March 14, 2012

Posted: 3:20 AM, March 14, 2012

Meet the bravest custodian in Queens.

Supermarket janitor Angel Candido grabbed a shotgun early yesterday and fatally blasted a burglar who tried to clean out the store in the middle of the night, cops said.

Candido, who was working an overnight shift at the Met market at Jamaica Avenue and 173rd Street, was taking an authorized catnap in a crawl space below the store’s office when he suddenly awoke up at 2 a.m. to see two men drop from the ceiling.

He watched silently as the burglars, who had cut a hole in the roof, made their way to the office safe.

Then the hardworking employee grabbed hold of the weapon — which he keeps with him when he sleeps — and fired a single blast.

Mamadou Koureichi, 27, of 88-09 148th St., was pronounced dead at the scene with a wound to the torso.

His unidentified accomplice fled, leaving the burglary tools behind.

Candido is a 54-year-old churchgoing family man who works a grueling 11-hour shift as a combination cleaning man, shelf stocker and watchman.

He said he did what he had to do and took no pleasure in killing a man.

“I am alive but I feel bad in another way,’’ he said.

“I have never done anything like this before.”

He refused to accept praise for his bravery.

“No, no, no. I am not a hero,” he insisted outside his apartment, not far from the market.

Cops at the 103rd Precinct questioned the soft-spoken shooter, but Queens District Attorney Richard Brown declined to prosecute since Candido is considered a victim in the case.

The weapon is registered to the store’s owner.

Candido said he was exhausted after his ordeal — and just wanted to get some shut-eye.

“I feel good, [but] I am tired,” he said.

Store manager Louis Rodriguez, 50, said the popular Candido has worked at the market for 10 years and is known to fellow employees as “Tonito.”

“He’s a short guy, chubby, but he looks strong,” Rodriguez said.

A neighbor said Candido lives with his wife but that most of his family remains in his native Santo Domingo.

“He’s a good man,’’ said the neighbor, adding that she has known Candido for eight years. “He is very honest. He works very hard over there.”

The independently owned store sells groceries but also carries money orders, MetroCards and lottery tickets and often has large amounts of cash on hand, sources said.

Store owner Jason Ferreira, 34, of Queens, didn’t return calls for comment.

Crime has been a problem in the neighborhood.

Hafed Kalad, 23, a worker at the Y&M Deli nearby, heard the early-morning burglar alarm — and said the crime didn’t surprise him.

He said he’d been robbed twice last year, including one time when the thief held a gun to his head.

Additional reporting by Lorena Mongelli, Jamie Schram and Jennifer Bain

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/janitor_blast_kills_grocery_store_uyjygz6ODv0dMDBWpOmDFP#ixzz1p78PFrjN

GTifosi
03-14-12, 13:05
Pleased the guy didn't get charged.
Most of the time you hear these things it would be for a victim getting arrested for having the audacity to defend themself.

However, from the article:
Met market at Jamaica Avenue and 173rd Street..... sells groceries but also carries money orders, MetroCards and lottery tickets and often has large amounts of cash on hand

Wanna bet something will happen again before long now that the writer put out what amounts to be a 'hey, look at what they've got that might be worth stealing or even killing someone for' inventory list along with the admission that there's only a single firearm and one person on premises who might not be as willing a second time around?

CarlosDJackal
03-14-12, 15:54
Pleased the guy didn't get charged.
Most of the time you hear these things it would be for a victim getting arrested for having the audacity to defend themself.

However, from the article:
Met market at Jamaica Avenue and 173rd Street..... sells groceries but also carries money orders, MetroCards and lottery tickets and often has large amounts of cash on hand

Wanna bet something will happen again before long now that the writer put out what amounts to be a 'hey, look at what they've got that might be worth stealing or even killing someone for' inventory list along with the admission that there's only a single firearm and one person on premises who might not be as willing a second time around?

I was thinking exactly the same thing after I read that part. I hope this serves more as a deterrent to the other scumbags.

GeorgiaBoy
03-14-12, 16:37
I wouldn't necessarily call this a "good shoot". He apparently wasn't being threatened by the culprits, and they were simply stealing, and he shot at them unwarned. I would have announced my presence first and only if they refused to comply and gave the impression they were armed and intent on using it would I shoot.

I don't think the guy is in the wrong, but I would have handled it differently.

GTifosi
03-14-12, 17:48
Mabe mabe not.
He shot the guy in the ceiling hole true enough.

However, if he'd have waited til they were in it would have been one against two, and the one who didn't get shot first would be trapped in a locked building with a scared guy holding a possibly empty gun.

Should the second guy have been armed, I all but gaurentee he'd have started a firefight to get out.

Or, saw his bud take one while down on the store level and shot from above under cover and left or even jumped the guy if his buddy were someone importsnt to him.

This happened in NYC. Whole different reality than about 85-90% if the rest of the country, even within NYS proper.
People do the dumbest stuff for the stupidest of reasons and realistically speaking the shooter would very much most likely have been in very grave danger had he allowed full ingress by the thieves even if having the shotgun stuck up one of thier noses while waiting for assistance.
A dog will chew off its own leg to get out of a trap. The average NYC scumbag will do that on a jolly let alone being detained in await of the law.

I'll have to re-read I suppose, but I didn't see specifically whether anyone mentioned a warning or not. Not mentioning doesn't mean didn't happen though.
Again, I'll have to re-read unless someone makes note of it before I get around to it.

Even if the guy didn't give warning, I'd buy him a beer should our paths ever cross.

sjc3081
03-14-12, 18:03
In NY State you can use Deadly Physical Force to prevent and terminate a burglary.

http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article35.htm

3. A person in possession or control of, or licensed or privileged to
be in, a dwelling or an occupied building, who reasonably believes that
another person is committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such
dwelling or building, may use deadly physical force upon such other
person when he or she reasonably believes such to be necessary to
prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of such
burglary.

Moose-Knuckle
03-14-12, 18:07
One less oxygen thief in the world tonight. . .

GTifosi
03-14-12, 22:10
In NY State you can use Deadly Physical Force to prevent and terminate a burglary

Penal law also covers it for rape and assault of self or others.

Ed L.
03-14-12, 22:51
I did a double take as this was in Queens County.

n.b. 1) long guns in NYC okay provided they don't meet the statutory definition of an assault weapon, and 2) they are registered with the NYPD.

You first need a longarm permit to legally own a long arm in NYC. Then it must be registered with the police.

In this case it seems that the shotgun was legally owned by the store's owner, who I presume had a permit for it.

In NY State outside of NYC, no permit is required to buy or own a longarm. Handguns require a permit to own anywhere in the state.

Here is information about longarms permits for NYC:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/permits/rifle_licensing_information.shtml

And here is a downlaodable application:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/rifle_shotgun_permit_application.pdf

SMETNA
03-15-12, 07:23
Handguns require a permit to own anywhere in the state.

Which is ****ing gay.

Carry? Perhaps.
Purchase/possess at home? ****ing gay

30 cal slut
03-15-12, 09:31
Which is ****ing gay.

Carry? Perhaps.
Purchase/possess at home? ****ing gay

It is a felony in New York State for anyone to touch a loaded handgun without a permit.

Exceptions are LEO's and .mil.

Permits are only issued to residents.

CarlosDJackal
03-15-12, 16:35
...I would have announced my presence first and only if they refused to comply and gave the impression they were armed and intent on using it would I shoot...

Interpretation: ...I would have given them a chance to pull out their guns and fire the first shot...

The problem is we do not know the state of mind the Watchman was in and how many times that store had been broken into or robbed at gunpoint. We are assuming that this is an isolated incident. There must be a reason the owner had a shotgun on the premises before this incident.

I personally cannot call it anything but what the authorities declare it to be based on their decision not to prosecute without additional facts.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-15-12, 23:49
Blasted? What reporter with any credibility uses "blasted"?

chadbag
03-16-12, 00:03
It's the NY Post...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NY_Post

--

GeorgiaBoy
03-16-12, 07:38
Interpretation: ...I would have given them a chance to pull out their guns and fire the first shot...

No, it means I wouldn't want to kill possibly unarmed perpetrators. If I'm in cover, and they don't have a good idea were I am, and it's dark, I'm not going to put a bead on the first guy I see and terminate his life over simple theft.

MAUSER202
03-16-12, 08:15
No, it means I wouldn't want to kill possibly unarmed perpetrators. If I'm in cover, and they don't have a good idea were I am, and it's dark, I'm not going to put a bead on the first guy I see and terminate his life over simple theft.

This is a very human response, I don't think most here would disagree with this on principal, however no one knows the mindset of an intruder and whether they are armed and prepared to do what it takes to get away with their crime. The very fact that they are breaking into a store shows them to already possess a criminal mindset, this was not stealing an apple from a fruit stand because you are hungry. The potential is very likely that if they found the watchman there, he would be in danger of bodily harm. Therefore I believe his action was logical and just. It simply becomes a gamble of them or me, if you don't act you assume the risk of possible injury or death for yourself.

Abraxas
03-16-12, 08:49
and terminate his life over simple theft.
It is the criminal that makes the decision of their life being worth what ever they are there to take. Mind you while property can be replaced, it is still taking part of someones life when one steals from another. We trade a portion of our lives for money. We can not get it back either. If you make 10$an hour and buy a tv for 100$ and someone steals it, then they have just stolen 10hrs of your life, or in this case someone elses portion.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-16-12, 10:32

Well Im glad to see that you are so trusting in individuals that break into places where they dont belong with, at the very least, the intent to rob another human being blind. But hey, maybe they're just nice guys.

GeorgiaBoy
03-16-12, 11:01
Well Im glad to see that you are so trusting in individuals that break into places where they dont belong with, at the very least, the intent to rob another human being blind. But hey, maybe they're just nice guys.

I never said I was trusting. Perhaps I am weird by not wanting to possibly kill 2 people and have to deal with it the rest of my life and try to keep telling myself I wasn't in the wrong by killing theoretically unarmed guys without warning.

I will never find a justification of death over theft. I don't care if it's a penny or a million dollars, no amount of money is worth a life.

GTifosi
03-16-12, 12:57
The very fact that they are breaking into a store shows them to already possess a criminal mindset....The potential is very likely that if they found the watchman there, he would be in danger of bodily harm.

Interesting point.

They knew when to go, how to gain entry, and other than possibly thinking they'd need two sets of hands to carry off loot or get back out, one may very well have decided that an accomplice would be neccisary to deal with the individual they likely knew would be there.
One thief in and out became two thieves with a distinct plan for ?.

Pure speculation of course but likely not far off base if the initial perpetrator put even 5 minutes thought into what, where, when, why and how.

Palmguy
03-16-12, 15:21
I never said I was trusting. Perhaps I am weird by not wanting to possibly kill 2 people and have to deal with it the rest of my life and try to keep telling myself I wasn't in the wrong by killing theoretically unarmed guys without warning.

I will never find a justification of death over theft. I don't care if it's a penny or a million dollars, no amount of money is worth a life.

If I could know for sure ahead of time that all it was was a simple theft, great. Most of us don't have a working crystal ball, and while I don't care to kill someone over theft, the risk to myself increases by forcing myself into a position of reaction.

The presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm is codified into the Florida Statutes by the way (FS 776.013) http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0776/Sections/0776.013.html

Moose-Knuckle
03-16-12, 15:38

I have had a job since I was 15 YOA, like many others who have to get up every morning and earn a living I work for a bunch of a douche bags.

For those who choose to sleep in, stay drunk, high, and pay their way by stealing the fruits of another mans labor. . .their "life" ain't worth the defecation they drop from their sphincters.