PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate accurate AR lower?

greywolf2112
03-14-12, 12:46
I've owned Aero Precision, Stag, Mega, Denny's, Bushmaster, Colt, and a few other lowers in the past. Have had billet and forged. Have had some with special screws to tighten upper and lower. Have had various triggers and stocks.

I'm interested in building the ultimate accurate AR with a new 6mmBR upper. The upper will be built for me, but I'm responsible for the lower.

Would love to hear ideas and opinions on what stripped lower to get, pistol grip, trigger (I like 2-stage Geiselles, and would consider their adjustable one or perhaps their SSA-E ones), and stocks (I have a liking for the Magpul PRS with an Accupod attachment).

Your thoughts?

Failure2Stop
03-14-12, 12:57
When it comes to practical precision (the ability of the shooter combined with the inherant precision of the system), the things contained within or attached to the lower make far more difference than the lower itself.

Task-oriented trigger
Appropriately sized stock
Grip that places the hand/trigger finger in the proper location for optimum trigger control

usmc1371
03-14-12, 13:19
I highly recomend the two stage gissel, I have one in my LBC super varmint .204 and its a thing of beauty if accuracy is your primary goal. Shooting accurately is much much easier with a trigger that is designed just for that purpose.

a0cake
03-14-12, 16:30
The lower itself doesn't matter as long as it's in spec. I'd probably go with a BCM blemished lower and put the extra money into a Geissele. Check out the SD-E also. It's like the SSA-E but with a flat trigger. It allows you to place your finger at the bottom edge of the bow more comfortably, thereby reducing perceived pull weight. The High Speed National Match triggers are adjustable, and would probably be better for competitive shooting where trigger pull weight can be as low as you want it. But the SD-E is about as light as I would want on a defensive rifle. I like the added robustness of the non-adjustable trigger as well. Really, the only way to figure it out is to try them both, honestly.

Iraqgunz
03-14-12, 16:37
You're overthinking the subject. Get a lower that is in spec and call it a day.

greywolf2112
03-14-12, 18:07
I highly recomend the two stage gissel, I have one in my LBC super varmint .204 and its a thing of beauty if accuracy is your primary goal. Shooting accurately is much much easier with a trigger that is designed just for that purpose.

I have a number of SSA-E triggers, and a 3-gun trigger with the very short reset. Would the 2-stage adjustable one (their most expensive) be worth it or should I just continue with another SSA-E one?

Casull
03-14-12, 20:45
Proper spec should be good enough. A USGI trigger for that matter should be fine. Personally I would suggest running both of these with lots of practice until a new trigger is only going to be a luxury to you. This is assuming you're not all that and a bag of chips already so don't take offense. :D

Assuming you are all that and a bag of chips, well, the MR556 as well as one or two billet lowers out there are actually made to tighten to the upper with a screw. It's not super important in my opinion, but I've not been shooting far enough for it to factor into my grouping ambiguities, I think.

In addition, a trigger as you would have realized by now is the only new and true improvement for your lower and your already sub MOA trigger finger.

TedG
03-14-12, 23:02
You're overthinking the subject. Get a lower that is in spec and call it a day.

This.

308sako
03-14-12, 23:55
You are only going to be responsible for the trigger and the optics choice. Spend the most on these. I have and shoot the Giessele Match adjustable and the SD-E triggers, you need the best for precision, get the match.

On the lower, personally I'd buy a matched upper and lower from Mega and keep it that simple.

usmc1371
03-15-12, 00:12
Graywolf,

The two stage gissel I have is in my Les Baer .204 ruger AR, I don't know exactly what model it is but it is the best trigger I have ever laid my hands on in any rifle and I have shot many rifles of all kinds. The fully adjustable 2 stage makes a clean trigger break easier. There is a very light take up, a definite stop, then an extremly clean break. Mine is set right at 1.5 pounds and feels lighter than that to me. I just built a 16" 5.56 ar on an LMT lower with their 2 stage trigger and it is not even in the same ball park as the gissel. IMHO I don't care how accurate your set up is you will never get the best out of it with a crappy trigger. I have put many many rounds through an M16A2 and M4 and I can't stand the triggers in them for accuracy work, great for combat not for very accurate paper punching. When I decide to build a varmint 5.56 it will get a gissel 2 stage no questions asked. YMMV of course.

I will be pulling the 2 stage out of my LMT lower and installing a 3Gun, the 2 stage is nice for punching paper but the shot to shot splits on close fast drills is crap, its just not designed for that use.

TehLlama
03-15-12, 02:04
If you want to spend more money, get the Noveske FFL - but any in spec one will do - drop a great trigger in long before you worry about the make of the lower.