PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to get in to Comp shooting. Need help picking out gear

Djstorm100
03-14-12, 14:41
Since I don't race anymore I want to get in to something else that is competitive that I love doing. So why not. I'm not talking about going this weekend but after I get some carbine training and improve skills.

I know I have to craw before I walk and walk before I run.

Granted I've been talking to go a guy (John Boyette) and he comes highly recommended on a few local boards here in NC.

He suggested for belts and packs to use these.. (links below)

I need the gear anyway for carbine class so I'm looking to try and kill two birds with one stone.

I am a switch hitter.. meaning I shoot rifle left handed but shoot pistol right handed. I'm left eye dominate but I'm right handed...yea I'm bit screwed up I know, haha. I would wear my pistol ammo on my left side and my ar ammo on the right side.

What do you guys think of the gear?

"Originally Posted by J.Boyette
Its three mag's per firearm on the belt, a total of 4 mags. the 4th one is on the firearm.

This kind of setup will work well for you.

The other option, if you like, and is a hell of a setup for matches, or other type of shooting is this:

Belt:
http://hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-SGPB&cat=18

Rifle Dual mag:
http://hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-X2R-TACO&cat=34

Rifle Single Mag:
http://hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-DDT&cat=34

Pistol x2:
http://hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-PTACO&cat=34

This is a setup like I run for rifle and pistol. You will still have room to install a pistol holster on the strong side."

FlatFender
03-14-12, 14:45
Almost the same exact setup I run for tactical type matches. Keep in mind though, the battle belt will not be allowed in idpa, or uspsa.

I like Safariland 6377 holsters with the MLS-15 molle fork for the battle belt.

For idpa I just use my standard edc belt.

http://triangletactical.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/hsgi-suregrip-belt-and-taco-magazine-pouch-review/

Djstorm100
03-14-12, 14:48
Almost the same exact setup I run for tactical type matches. Keep in mind though, the battle belt will not be allowed in idpa, or uspsa.

I like Safariland 6377 holsters with the MLS-15 molle fork for the battle belt.

For idpa I just use my standard edc belt.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Sorry for being such a new but why can't you/what can you use for IDPA and USPSA?

I still need to get a full size pistol (have a M&P40c) Might go with 9 or glock. 9mm for reduce recoil vs a 45/40, is this correct thinking? I love my M&P though

FlatFender
03-14-12, 14:51
Sorry for being such a new but why can't you/what can you use for IDPA and USPSA?

I still need to get a full size pistol (have a M&P40c) Might go with 9 or glock. 9mm for reduce recoil vs a 45/40, is this correct thinking? I love my M&P though

Both idpa and uspsa require the belt to go through your belt loops on your pants.

Check Lawmens in Garner for the M&P, they seem to have the best prices on them. You can't go wrong with either the Glock or the M&P, I prefer the glocks.

9mm will do you just fine, it is what I shoot the most.

I just realized this is M4C, thought we were posting on Carolinashootersclub...lol, Tapatalk messes me up sometimes.

Djstorm100
03-14-12, 14:54
Both idpa and uspsa require the belt to go through your belt loops on your pants.

Check Lawmens in Garner for the M&P, they seem to have the best prices on them. You can't go wrong with either the Glock or the M&P, I prefer the glocks.

9mm will do you just fine, it is what I shoot the most.

Gotcha, so just use a gun belt if I deicde to go with IDPA or USPSA?

Lawmens is where I got my carry weapon. What can you do to your weapon in terms of modification. I've been only able to find the Oxford match and Durham. Just really don't know where to look and google is not hitting on a whole lot.

FlatFender
03-14-12, 14:57
Gotcha, so just use a gun belt if I deicde to go with IDPA or USPSA?

Lawmens is where I got my carry weapon. What can you do to your weapon in terms of modification. I've been only able to find the Oxford match and Durham. Just really don't know where to look and google is not hitting on a whole lot.

www.ncsection.org lists all the different matches around the state.

If you want, I'm planning to do the pistol match in Oxford on the 24th, you are welcome to tag along if you have a pistol, safe holster, and enough mags to hold around 30 rounds.

Djstorm100
03-14-12, 15:01
www.ncsection.org lists all the different matches around the state.

If you want, I'm planning to do the pistol match in Oxford on the 24th, you are welcome to tag along if you have a pistol, safe holster, and enough mags to hold around 30 rounds.

Thanks. I def need to get a full size before coming I would think and a belt, no?

I got enough mags for my compact lol

FlatFender
03-14-12, 15:04
Thanks. I def need to get a full size before coming I would think and a belt, no?

I got enough mags for my compact lol

Never a bad thing to wring out your carry gun. Let me know when you think you are ready, I have no problem walking you through your first match, I remember being pretty intimidated at my first match...

Anyways, I'll bow out of this thread and let the pros add their recommendations. I generally don't post to much here, as there are many more who have a lot more experience than I. Hit me up on CSC if you want to shoot sometime.

Djstorm100
03-14-12, 15:18
Never a bad thing to wring out your carry gun. Let me know when you think you are ready, I have no problem walking you through your first match, I remember being pretty intimidated at my first match...

Anyways, I'll bow out of this thread and let the pros add their recommendations. I generally don't post to much here, as there are many more who have a lot more experience than I. Hit me up on CSC if you want to shoot sometime.

Thank you sir!

rob_s
03-14-12, 15:25
you're looking to do what, 3-gun? USPSA? IDPA? Something else? all of them?

I'd personally suggest starting with IDPA or USPSA and I'd pick based solely on whichever was closer or easier to get to. Getting a foundation in the pistol shooting games will help you if you choose to continue on to 3-gun or other carbine and/or shotgun games. Plus starting in either is a super low barrier to entry that doesn't require an accumulation of gear.

Djstorm100
03-14-12, 15:38
you're looking to do what, 3-gun? USPSA? IDPA? Something else? all of them?

I'd personally suggest starting with IDPA or USPSA and I'd pick based solely on whichever was closer or easier to get to. Getting a foundation in the pistol shooting games will help you if you choose to continue on to 3-gun or other carbine and/or shotgun games. Plus starting in either is a super low barrier to entry that doesn't require an accumulation of gear.

Really like to get in to 3 gun.

I need to look up the difference between IDPA and USPSA

rob_s
03-14-12, 15:44
I need to look up the difference between IDPA and USPSA

The biggest differences are really inconsequential:

IDPA requires you to wear a "cover garment" to cover the pistol, USPSA does not.
USPSA allows you to walk the stage prior to shooting it to plan out how you want to attack it, IDPA does not.
USPSA will tend towards slightly higher round counts per stage.
IDPA will require you to "use cover" while USPSA will mark fault lines on the ground with painted sticks.
IDPA requires you to retain magazines at reloads if the slide is forward, USPSA allows you to drop them wherever and whenever you want.

USPSA, or IPSC, came first and IDPA came about as an offshoot as a reaction to the "race gun" direction USPSA had gone in. Now USPSA has divisions like single stack, limited 10, and production that lower the barriers to entry and allow people to compete, and be competitive, with less fancy equipment and gear. Frankly they could damn near merge back together at this point. I started in IDPA and now shoot both and greatly enjoy both, and am a huge believer in using them as training aids.

fyeguy
03-14-12, 15:52
Since I don't race anymore I want to get in to something else that is competitive that I love doing. So why not. I'm not talking about going this weekend but after I get some carbine training and improve skills.

I know I have to craw before I walk and walk before I run.
I highly suggest you come watch a match or two before you spend any money. The Tarheel 3gun at DPRC is a fantastic match with some great shooters. 1st Saturday of every month in Mebane.

Granted I've been talking to go a guy (John Boyette) and he comes highly recommended on a few local boards here in NC.

He suggested for belts and packs to use these.. (links below)

I need the gear anyway for carbine class so I'm looking to try and kill two birds with one stone.
Your gear needs will differ between the two. You'll need two or three on you for a carbine course, but it's a rare stage that requires a rifle reload, let alone three of them. I don't carry more than one spare rifle mag on my belt in competition.

I am a switch hitter.. meaning I shoot rifle left handed but shoot pistol right handed. I'm left eye dominate but I'm right handed...yea I'm bit screwed up I know, haha. I would wear my pistol ammo on my left side and my ar ammo on the right side.

I'm cross-dominant as well. Pistol mags on my left hip, pistol on my right with my spare rifle mag right behind it. My shotshell carriers are on another belt that I can put over my pistol belt to carry the shells in front.

What do you guys think of the gear?

"Originally Posted by J.Boyette
Its three mag's per firearm on the belt, a total of 4 mags. the 4th one is on the firearm.

This kind of setup will work well for you.

The other option, if you like, and is a hell of a setup for matches, or other type of shooting is this:

Belt:
http://hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-SGPB&cat=18

Rifle Dual mag:
http://hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-X2R-TACO&cat=34

Rifle Single Mag:
http://hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-DDT&cat=34

Pistol x2:
http://hsgi.us/proddetail.php?prod=HSG-PTACO&cat=34

This is a setup like I run for rifle and pistol. You will still have room to install a pistol holster on the strong side."
You can't go wrong with High Speed Gear, but as noted above few matches will require you to carry that many rounds, and as noted by other posters you won't be able to use that rig at some matches. The good news is that all the good matches are outlaw matches and are light on the nitpicky rules.

This is my basic or 'slick' match setup, but I will break out my HSGI sure grip belt for carbine courses.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h11/fyeguy/3gun-rig.jpg

Shokr21
03-14-12, 16:07
I'm not a 3 gunner, but I have just gotten into IDPA USPSA recently.

I shoot with a g19 in a hideous holster stealth holster and a hideous holster dual mag pouch on a BDU rigger's belt. I carry two extra loaded mags in my pants pocket but as of yet have not needed them.

That's about as simple and cheap as you can go, total cost minus gun and magazines ~$85.

For IDPA I had a vest made out of one of my old multicam tops cost me $15 bucks, from the sweet old lady down the country road.

USPSA I just shoot in what I'd wear on a typical day plus the mag pouches that I wouldn't normally wear.

note- I have no affiliation with hideous holsters, just a very satisfied customer.

Djstorm100
03-14-12, 22:37
Thanks for the reply guys.

What caliber should I go with 9mm? Reason I'm thinking 9 is it has less recoil out of 40/45/10mm and allows you to get back on target quick.

FlatFender
03-14-12, 22:41
Thanks for the reply guys.

What caliber should I go with 9mm? Reason I'm thinking 9 is it has less recoil out of 40/45/10mm and allows you to get back on target quick.

9mm is the best way to go for the best all around competition gun. 9mm will let you shoot IDPA, USPSA Production, and any outlaw or sanctioned 3-gun match.

Ammo costs are also quite a bit cheaper with 9mm.

Djstorm100
03-14-12, 23:09
9mm is the best way to go for the best all around competition gun. 9mm will let you shoot IDPA, USPSA Production, and any outlaw or sanctioned 3-gun match.

Ammo costs are also quite a bit cheaper with 9mm.

Time to start calling and getting prices on G17 and M&P lol

rob_s
03-15-12, 06:14
I'd shoot what you carry, at least to start. If you're just hell bent on buying a bunch of crap just to go shoot matches, here's what I would to in order to *try* and be sensible about it...

Glock 34. You can shoot it in Production in USPSA and SSP in IDPA. Don't bother changing out anything on it other than the sights until you learn the rules better and understand what changing those parts will do to you.
CR Speed Belt (http://www.topgunsupply.com/cr-speed-rescomp-super-hi-torque-belt-34.html). You can use this for USPSA and 3-Gun and it will allow you to mount your pouches wherever you want without regard for limitations of your belt loops.
Wilderness Instructors Belt (http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=product&id=2309&parent=142). Get the 1.5" version and you can clip the same pouches onto it for IDPA as you use for USPSA on the CR Speed belt.
Ready Tactical Magazine Pouches (http://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-Kydex-All-s/350.htm). You can get these in the 1.5" width for both the Glock and the AR. You're going to want at least 4 for the Glock, and one for the AR.
Blade Tech Holster (http://www.blade-tech.com/Belt-Holster-w-TEK-LOK-pr-910.html). You can get the one with the Tek-Lok so that you can take it off one belt and install it on the other more easily.
California Comp Works shotshell holder. Get the one for four shells to start with. get the one with the Tek-Lok so you can get it on and off the CR Speed belt easily.

wahoo95
03-15-12, 07:19
Check out some local matches and start out with a minimal amount if gear. You will waste money by putting the cart before the horse and buying a bunch of gear only to realize it doesn't work for you as well as it does for someone else. Once you run a few matches you will have a better feel for what would make things better for you.

I run matches and classes with a fairly minimalist set up composed of Ready Tactical mag pouches and a Kydex pistol holster. It allows me to carry up to (3) pistol mags and (3) AR mags though I typically only run one of each.

Do know that the other competitors really don't care what gear you have so don't feel the need to buy the latest and greatest to impress anyone.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

fyeguy
03-15-12, 11:19
Here's my gear setup for this weekend's DCNC's (http://www.defensiveconceptsnc.com) Defensive Carbine 2. Pretty minimalistic for a class like this, but super-overkill for most of the matches I shoot.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h11/fyeguy/fb06d637.jpg

HSGI Suregrip, Cobra Riggers Inner belt + pistol and rifle tacos, an ITW fast mag, BFG dump pouch, and ESEE Rat-4.

Pistol is a G34 in a G-code holster, attached with their drop offset RTI attachment.

loganp0916
03-15-12, 11:56
Here's my gear setup for this weekend's DCNC's (http://www.defensiveconceptsnc.com) Defensive Carbine 2. Pretty minimalistic for a class like this, but super-overkill for most of the matches I shoot.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h11/fyeguy/fb06d637.jpg

Just curious, what do you use the knife for?

Djstorm100
03-15-12, 11:57

Zombie killing.

Looking at M&P Long slide or G34 9mm

fyeguy
03-15-12, 12:02
Nothing really. I convinced myself that I needed a medium-sized fixed blade so I picked up the ESEE based on the reviews. It's really only there for CDI factor.

fyeguy
03-15-12, 12:06
Zombie killing.
Looking at M&P Long slide or G34 9mm
I've got both, you really can't go wrong either. IMO the Glock stock trigger is a little nicer, and aftermarket parts are a bit more plentiful, but I love the M&P also.

You'll see a LOT of G34's at any match you go to.

PM me if you want to check them out some time.

okie john
03-21-12, 18:31
Since I don't race anymore I want to get in to something else that is competitive that I love doing.

Given the nature of your questions, you might want to watch a couple of matches before you start buying gear. Most shooters will let you try their gear, and once you find a sport you like, there is usually tons of used and/or excess gear available at great prices.

That said, you actually could start this weekend by shooting speed steel. All you need is a 22 rifle or handgun, a case for it, and five magazines. You don't even need a holster. From there, the next step up is IDPA, which is meant to be shot with carry gear. You can use your existing carry gun and be competitive with another $70-100 worth of gear.

Okie John

Aiannare
03-22-12, 10:21
I'm seeing some nice rigs on here. About how much should I expect to pay for a competition acceptable rig? I don't want crap however I t does not need to be a pro level.

GrandPooba
03-22-12, 13:13
I'm seeing some nice rigs on here. About how much should I expect to pay for a competition acceptable rig? I don't want crap however I t does not need to be a pro level.

a simple, quality Comp-Tac belt holster is around $70. I like Ready-tac magazine pouches, which are around $20 each. Wilderness instructor belt is around $50.

So ~$200 and you will have a quality rig for everything from IDPA to USPSA to tactical classes.

jeffreywt
04-05-12, 20:58
If you reload, I would go .40SW without a doubt as it works perfect in any USPSA division. If you don't reload and/or plan to shoot production division, 9MM all the way.

Also, I don't know how far you want to drive, but the Pitt County Wildlife Club has a monthly USPSA match. It is a smaller turnout than say, Sir Walter Gun Club's (awesome place to shoot) monthly match but our facilities are equally fantastic! You'll see many of the same faces at both places. It's the 4th Saturday of each month. We also do a 3-gun match on a different weekend. I have not personally ventured into multi-gun just yet.

Djstorm100
04-05-12, 22:08
Why the 40 over 9? I do reload 40 now but was looking 9mm pro series mp

jeffreywt
04-05-12, 23:44
For USPSA pistol, .40 can be loaded to fit into any division and remain competitive.

You wouldn't want to shoot factory .40 in production since there is no major power factor scoring. However, .40 can be down-loaded to shoot soft enough to not be disadvantaged by recoil versus the 9mm. For limited/L10/open, there may be better choices (.38 super perhaps, someone else might have more insight, i'm just a newbie shooting production) but .40 is very popular in those divisions.

It's just fits in every division. I'm pretty sure you could even shoot it out of a SW 610 in revolver division if you wanted.

Jesse Tischauser
04-09-12, 08:25
The belt and mag pouches you listed looked great! In fact I wish everybody would use them in competitions. I am being sarcastic! That stuff is geared more towards that tactical crowd not the competition crowd. The mag holders are way too secure to be fast. Like someone earlier posted you only need one rifle may pouch and two pistol mag pouches. The rifle ammo on your belt us usually just backup as the 40, 48, 60, 100 round Mags make mag changes happen only when forced to do so by stage description or positional Shooting. In most Multi gun action shooting events using more than a magazine of ammo especially an extended mag that holds 20 plus is rare. So having a mag in your gun a possible mag change on your belt in case of a large stage and a backup covers 95% of matches I've shot.

A good rule of thumb in competitive shooting ammo requirements is to always carry enough ammo on your belt to shoot the course of fire. The ammo in your Guns is considered extra.

The majority of the competition crowd uses a CR Speed, Double Alpha or the new Safariland ELS belt. As for holsters and pouches BladeTech is probably the most popular followed by Safariland and/or comp tech. There are lots of good custom kydex makers out there too.