PDA

View Full Version : GLOCK Gen 2 Extended Slide Stop

djegators
03-14-12, 16:55
Just wanted to verify that I am correct in thinking that I cannot use the VIckers extended slide stop in my Gen 2 G17.

The OEM part looks like this:

http://www.glockmeister.com/images/glockslidestopleverextended2pinm.jpg

The Vickers looks like this:

http://www.nettac.com/assets/images/vickers-slide-stop.jpg

I am a bit confused since the Nettac site says it is compatible with all gens.

operator81
03-14-12, 17:18
The Vickers works in the Gen2 Glocks. At least it did in my Gen2 G19. Locked back on empty and released on full just like it was supposed to.

MookNW
03-14-12, 17:52
I got an email from tangodown stating that the slidestop can be used in gen2 g17. The stop is a little bit wobbly with the slide removed, but otherwise functions fine.

wlptpd3
03-15-12, 18:53
It will work just fine, I have them in both a Gen. 2 17 and a Gen. 2 19 and they both work fine. At worst you might have to tweak the spring angle in a 2 pin Glock.

ST911
03-15-12, 19:36
The pointy thing on the slide stop lever is called the spike limiter. It limits over-travel of the slide stop lever by stopping against the locking block when the slide stop lever is raised. It's used in 9mm Glocks without the locking block pin. The spike limiter is not necessary in Glocks with the locking block pin (later 2-pin 9mms and other calibers) as the locking block pin limits the travel.

You can use a slide stop lever without a spike limiter in Glocks with the trigger pin only, but the gun is outside of manufacturer spec.

Robb Jensen
03-15-12, 20:10
As a certified Advanced Glock Armorer I do recommend using an extended Glock or standard Glock slide catch which has the spike limiter on a Gen 1 or 2 Glock 17. ESPECIALLY if this is on a defensive use gun.

OldGreg
03-15-12, 20:45
My Gen2 17 has iffy luck with the Vickers Slide Release. Every now & then (at the range), i find that it won't get out of the way of the slide if i sling-shot it. I try not to sling-shot period, but... you know how it goes, lol. I wish it wouldn't surprise me like that though. I've tried to bend the spring a couple of ways to keep the tension up, but it seems to not hold that shape. It bums me out a little.. i want to keep the Vickers on my Gen2, but i may have to abandon it.

No probs w/ the Vickers in my Gen3.. so must be that the 2nd pin applies more spring tension.

brushy bill
03-15-12, 21:53
My Gen2 17 has iffy luck with the Vickers Slide Release. Every now & then (at the range), i find that it won't get out of the way of the slide if i sling-shot it. I try not to sling-shot period, but... you know how it goes, lol. I wish it wouldn't surprise me like that though. I've tried to bend the spring a couple of ways to keep the tension up, but it seems to not hold that shape. It bums me out a little.. i want to keep the Vickers on my Gen2, but i may have to abandon it.

No probs w/ the Vickers in my Gen3.. so must be that the 2nd pin applies more spring tension.

I get the same with a G17 Gen 3(2009 dated casing), but not in a 2011 G19 Gen 3. Not sure why... and it is hit or miss.

MookNW
03-16-12, 16:53
As a certified Advanced Glock Armorer I do recommend using an extended Glock or standard Glock slide catch which has the spike limiter on a Gen 1 or 2 Glock 17. ESPECIALLY if this is on a defensive use gun.

Why's that Robb?

djegators
03-16-12, 18:17

That was the confirmation I was looking for, thanks.

Street Dog
03-17-12, 07:40
Here is what I found when I installed the Vickers slide stop in my 17, which is a Gen 3, but is an early model that does not have what Glock calls the "1st" or locking pin. the small pin above the trigger pin. This pin is also absent in the Gen 1 & 2 9mm pistols.

The spring on the slide stop rests against this pin, giving it the proper tension. In my pistol with out the "1st" pin, the slide stop had little if any spring tension to keep it in the down position. I chose to remove it, as trying to bend or reshape a spring normally does not last.

That being said, it installed fine in my other 17 with the locking pin, and I really like the product. As always, YMMV.

Robb Jensen
03-17-12, 07:49
Why's that Robb?

The spike limiter gives it enough tension. Without that proper tension the pistol could lock back prematurely when firing.

Littlelebowski
03-17-12, 09:33

Robb, does the same apply to Gen2 19s?