PDA

View Full Version : Improved accuracy with AAC Blackout FS

Bolverk93
03-14-12, 17:02
Hello,

I have a quick question. I have a DD M4V3 with a 1-7 twist barrel. From what I've read it should be more accurate with 855 over 193. What I have seen is the exact opposite. It has always shot IMI 193 much better than the IMI 855.

Anyway, after I changed the flash suppressor from a YHM phantom to a Blackout I went to the range to check my zero. I was very surprised when my 100m 855 groups shrank in half. I had a new case of XM193 that I wanted to try out, and those groups were even better than what I shot with the IMI 193.

I'm just wondering if something like that is common.

An Undocumented Worker
03-14-12, 17:13
Perhaps it improved the harmonics of your barrel. I doubt that the blackout itself does anything to improve the accuracy, but it's mass may be more compatible with the harmonics of your barrel.

Or the old flash hider may have been over or under torqued.

Duffy
03-14-12, 17:15
I've heard the same thing said of the Vortex flash suppressor. I don't think Smith makes that claim, or AAC for that matter, because it's difficult to prove.

While it may improve accuracy on some weapons, the same isn't applicable across the board, there are quite a few variables.

What I don't buy though is that the tuning fork sound has anything to do with it :haha:

a0cake
03-14-12, 19:55
M193 is almost always more accurate than M855. So your results are typical as far as that goes.

As for the AAC Flash Hider cutting groups in half? Nope. There's something else going on. It's highly likely that the YHM FH was overtorqued, leading to the classic logical fallacy of "post hoc, ergo propter hoc." "After, therefore because of." You replaced the YHM FH with an AAC FH and your groups shrank in half...but in reality the groups likely shrank because of the new FH being torqued properly...causation vs. correlation.

Bolverk93
03-14-12, 20:50
Thanks for the replies.

Now that you have mentioned it I think it was almost certainly a result of over torque. I purchased this rifle used, and the old FS was torqued to a degree that it was not aligned properly. I figured that it was just a problem with the threading and not necessarily over torque. I never thought over torque would affect the accuracy either. I'm glad I got it straightened out.

Mauser KAR98K
03-14-12, 21:13
Welcome to the board. Stay awhile, learn a lot.