PDA

View Full Version : TerraLux TLE-300 550 Lumen Upgrade for the Maglite???

SHIVAN
12-29-07, 16:12
Anyone use this conversion to get LED power to a 4-6 D-cell Maglite? Interested to try it...

If you've tried Maglite conversions, I'd like to hear where you've failed or been successful.

I'd like to convert all the old, now obsolete maglites my dad and I have lying around.

woody d
12-29-07, 16:46
i bought the mag lite brand led upgrade for my 4 d cell "around the house light", and it gets used regularly. i spare my surefires as this is my only led in the house, but it as bright as ever with the first set of energizers since the swapover. and thats been better than a year ago now

SHIVAN
12-29-07, 17:45
This is the unit & I certainly don't buy all the marketing hype, but it looks interesting nonetheless:

http://www.lighthound.com/images/productsnz/tle300.jpg

"TerraLUX TLE-300 Worlds Brightest upgrade! For 4-6 D Cell MagLites.

The TerraLUX TLE-300 is the worlds brightest upgrade for D cell Maglites. Outputting up to 600 lumens at the emitter the TerraLUX TLE-300 is sure to please. While the TerraLUX TLE-300 is built for 4-6 D cell Maglites advanced users understand that it really needs 6V (Operating Voltage: Up to 24 VDC) so there's any number of creative ways to power it in a 2 or 3 cell light. Maglites with the TLE-300 cannot be focused anymoe - but with 5-600 lumens you won't need to focus it anymore.

The TerraLUX TLE-300 is the first light product on that market that uses the Luxeon K2 with TFFC 'flip chip' which deliver industry leading light output, simpler and more efficient thermal management, and the ability to be driven at higher currents for longer periods of time than any other LED. Binned and tested at 1A, and with minimum flux bins of 200 lumens, LUXEON K2 with TFFC LEDs are enabling never before possible lighting solutions.

Specifications:
Initial Light Output: >600 Lumens initial output
Steady State Light Output: >500 Lumens
Power Consumption: Approximately 12 Watts
Light Regulation: Electronically regulated via a DC-DC converter.
Runtime: Approx 1.5hrs on alkaline 4 D Cells
Operating Voltage: 6-24 VDC
Optics: 3 pieces 6 degree TIR lenses; Non-adjustable Focus.
LEDs: 3 Luxeon K2 with TFFC “flip chip” LXK2-PWC4-0200 rates at 200+ lumens at 1A. 6500K, Lambertian.
Country of Origin: Made in USA

For D cell Maglites ONLY. Will not fit C cell lights."

sonrider657
12-29-07, 21:13
I have not used the units for larger Maglites but I bought two of the TerraLux Mini-Maglite (AA) Extreme LED upgrades. They are labeled as "100 Lumens" and although they are a BIG improvement over the stock Maglite bulbs, they do not seem to be anywhere near the claimed 100 Lumen mark.

SHIVAN
12-29-07, 21:17
I have not used the units for larger Maglites but I bought two of the TerraLux Mini-Maglite (AA) Extreme LED upgrades. They are labeled as "100 Lumens" and although they are a BIG improvement over the stock Maglite bulbs, they do not seem to be anywhere near the claimed 100 Lumen mark.

I understand, which is why I indicated that I am not buying all the marketing hype.

A 250 lumen maglite would be amusing on four D-cells though.