PDA

View Full Version : First Glocks!

Blstr88
03-14-12, 18:45
Well I never thought the day would come. I've always been a "metal" gun guy...Berettas and 1911s pretty much. I picked up an H&K USP a few months back and realized "plastic" guns arent all bad!

Anyway, I've been wanting to replace my Beretta as my carry gun since its very "fat", and wanted something slim. I was pretty sure I'd go with a Walther in .40. However, I shot my fathers Glock 26 this past weekend and really saw what all the hype was about. I liked it A LOT.

SO, I went to the gun shop today and picked up a Glock 30. I love the .45 cartridge and its very slim and light, so after a few range sessions with it Im planning to carry with it. I ordered a Desantis OWB holster and a Crossbreed IWB holster for it already.

And since I was there, I figured I needed to give it a friend, so I grabbed a Glock 21 too. Havent shot either yet, but I plan to remedy that tomorrow.

Will the Glock 37 magazines work in the G21? I saw a few used ones at the LGS I was going to grab, but wanted to check first. I know the 45 GAP rounds are shorter than the 45 ACP rounds, so Im assuming the answer is no?

Anything in particular to look out for with these pistols? I'd say my biggest gripe so far is the slide release "lever" (more of a "tab" really). I have small hands and its really tough to release the slide using the lever...especially compared to my Berettas. Is there any aftermarket fix for this? Thatd be the first thing I'd want to address.

Sorry for the bad pics, I'll take some more at the range tomorrow.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/ccc438ca.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/28902b37.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj121/Blstr88/124943f2.jpg

Clay
03-14-12, 19:05
Glock 37 mags will not work. Glock 21 mags are plentiful and cheap, though.

The two Glock 21's I have run have been amazingly accurate and easy to shoot. The guns feel big, and people bitch about them, but everyone, including the whiners seem to shoot them as well as the other Glocks. I run a Glock extended slide release on mine. You can find them at Lone Wolf or Midway USA. Works great.

I've never had a single malfunction out of either of the Glock 21's I've had, with tens of thousands of rounds downrange. The .45 caliber Glocks may prove to be the most reliable models to get. They certainly have in my case.

I prefer to use Mpro7 LPX or Weaponshield CLP on my Glocks for lube, and I like the Winchester Ranger T 230 gr JHP's, although I've carried the standard 230 gr JHP's from Federal and Winchester, and would do so again. I like plain black Heinie Slant Pro sights, as well as the new Kyle Defoor sights from Ameriglo. For holsters I run a Comp-Tac MTAC, Tommy Theis IWB, and an Eric Barber IWB from Barber Leather Works. The Threat Solutions UCR works great, and really hides the big 21 well.

Congrats on the new guns!

Clay

Toyoland66
03-14-12, 19:18
Tango Down/ Larry Vickers makes a highly recommended slide release and extended magazine release which both seem to be just big enough to offer additional functionality without getting in the way.

BTW - not sure if you knew but you have a Gen2.5 model there - finger grooves with no light rail.

Arik
03-14-12, 19:28
Very nice! I was/am in the same boat as you. Always preferred steel guns of Glocks but now I have a G19 and 20. After fondling a 30 I want one! I still prefer my Smith 5946 over the G19 but mainly because it's thinner.

wingspar
03-14-12, 20:37
Anything in particular to look out for with these pistols? I'd say my biggest gripe so far is the slide release "lever" (more of a "tab" really). I have small hands and its really tough to release the slide using the lever...especially compared to my Berettas. Is there any aftermarket fix for this? Thatd be the first thing I'd want to address.

Part of the reason, and one of the nice points about the slide release is that it is almost flat against the gun. Doesn’t stick out. This is a plus for a carry gun if that is in your plans, but it’s just plain nice to not have any protrusions. Technically, it is called a “Slide Stop, not a slide release. I never use the slide stop to release the slide. I rack the slide.

Yes, they do make aftermarket slide stops that stick out further, but I would try to get used to it first before you spend the money and time replacing it. That's just my 2 cents worth.

1milkman
03-16-12, 09:33
Both are great guns shoot them first then decide if you need a extended release