PDA

View Full Version : Sig MK25 ?

Pappabear
03-14-12, 20:16
Is this MK25 good marketing or did Sig do anything to step up their game. I don't own any Sigs so I have no history, good or bad.

Or did they put lipstick on a pig?

Cosmo M3
03-14-12, 21:15
Is this MK25 good marketing or did Sig do anything to step up their game. I don't own any Sigs so I have no history, good or bad.

Or did they put lipstick on a pig?

Same Sig, same marketing

seabass
03-14-12, 22:21
The MK25 has true 1913 picatinny rails instead of the current somewhat rounded rails on the regular "R" variants. It has some phosphated internal parts too.

But other than that, it's pretty much the same Sig P226.

I would have considered getting one but suitable duty grade holsters for it is virtually nonexistent.

JohnnyC
03-15-12, 00:42
It's their original USN with the phosphate internals, and a 1913 spec rail. Oh, and it's got a cute little sticker. Marketing more than anything.

Pappabear
03-15-12, 01:05
Same shit, it's too bad those overpriced pistols are made better. They have potential so it seems.

Robb Jensen
03-15-12, 07:23
Picatinny rail, phosphated internals, 3 mags, chrome lined barrel, and that bar code type sticker on the left side of the frame.

Mjolnir
03-29-12, 05:15
Okay, this is a tidbit I stumbled upon last week: there is a company located in India called Indo MIM (or Indo-MIM I've not looked them up yet) that is making all of Sig's INTERNALS for their pistols.

I see two problems: MIM Fire Control Group parts are a no-no to me (cannot polish said parts much as the very thin case hardening is easily worn away)

And why all the way to India? There are plenty of companies here in the USA that can produce said parts (that I do not like).

I have a friend in Massachusetts that has been telling me his buddy has been telling him that they've been "cleaning up quite a few" of these parts prior to shipping.

I don't buy Sig - but I do like the feel and accuracy of the P226.

Robb Jensen
03-29-12, 05:55
SIG-Sauer has been using a lot of MIM parts in their pistols.
FAM (Federal Air Marshal) P229s don't have the MIM locking blocks and extractors and internals like the commercially available guns do. Their frames are also different.

MAUSER202
03-29-12, 07:56
FAM (Federal Air Marshal) P229s don't have the MIM locking blocks and extractors and internals like the commercially available guns do. Their frames are also different.

Are those guns manufactured here? What is different about their frames?

Striker
03-29-12, 12:59
Same shit, it's too bad those overpriced pistols are made better. They have potential so it seems.

I think so as well. I have a late 90s P226 that's an awesome pistol. It points really well, it's accurate, has a great trigger. There's really not a lot about it not to like.

There is a similar thread on the sigforum discussing whether the newest version of the P series is worth buying or not and one of the guys from Grays seems to think they've worked out their problems. Time will tell.

Tzook
03-29-12, 13:32
It's just marketing. It's almost the same as the regular P226Rs, with a few very small differences that IMO, don't effect function.

Mjolnir
03-29-12, 18:05

That is interesting to hear. I'd be willing to pay for the milled and EDM'd components. I'll bet everyone here would, too...

Killjoy
03-29-12, 18:45
My department had acquired similar models for our marine unit several years ago. Some officers thought because of its treatment they weren't required to clean their pistols on a regular basis. Lo and behold, they found out the pistols rusted just like any pistol would in the harsh salt environment with no cleaning. The were "corrected" by the unit NCO at inspection time!

Our department dumped Sig last year because of continuing problems with high-round count pistols (specifically SWAT team and FTU pistols), and poor customer service on the part of Sig. Currently, we're replacing the Sigs with M&P .45s, and we couldn't be happier!

Q56_Monster
03-29-12, 19:06

So if FAM's get different pistols, and assuming they are better pistols, do I assume the Navy's MK25 is different too? Why would Navy Spec Ops accept an inferior pistol with MIM parts?

Killjoy
03-29-12, 19:27
So if FAM's get different pistols, and assuming they are better pistols, do I assume the Navy's MK25 is different too? Why would Navy Spec Ops accept an inferior pistol with MIM parts?

I guess it would depend if the Navy specifically requested machined parts. In a meeting I was in with some Sig high-ups about the continued small parts breakage in our Sig 226 DAK pistols, the Sig company men refused to say whether or not they used foreign MIM'd parts in our pistols. They simply said it was "proprietary information". But they did let slip that certain federal agencies specifically request machined parts rather than MIM parts in their pistols. Considering we had used their pistols for almost 20 years, we had assumed that they would give us the best pistols they made, without us having to specifically request non-failing parts! That contributed much to us terminating our relationship with Sig.

hunt_ak
03-29-12, 19:49

Good to know the good stuff isn't available to us 'minions'...

Robb Jensen
03-29-12, 19:52
Commercial gun have the same frame window (where you can see the trigger bar, safety lever and sear) for SAO, DAK & DA/SA. When using this style frame supposedly they had heavy frame wear issues with heavy use and .357SIG ammo. Their frames are have a different window. Also their serial numbers have FAM as the first three characters. Some FAMs are also using the E2 grips.

Q56_Monster
03-29-12, 21:07
I guess it would depend if the Navy specifically requested machined parts. In a meeting I was in with some Sig high-ups about the continued small parts breakage in our Sig 226 DAK pistols, the Sig company men refused to say whether or not they used foreign MIM'd parts in our pistols. They simply said it was "proprietary information". But they did let slip that certain federal agencies specifically request machined parts rather than MIM parts in their pistols. Considering we had used their pistols for almost 20 years, we had assumed that they would give us the best pistols they made, without us having to specifically request non-failing parts! That contributed much to us terminating our relationship with Sig.

Interesting...Thanks for the reply

mrosamilia
03-29-12, 21:41
I have one with now 1300 problem free rounds. I would like to note that I posted in another thread that it does not have a chrome lined barrel according to customer service. I saw a gun writer print this and called and was told no it does not. The 226 Combat however does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Robb Jensen
03-30-12, 13:46
I have one with now 1300 problem free rounds. I would like to note that I posted in another thread that it does not have a chrome lined barrel according to customer service. I saw a gun writer print this and called and was told no it does not. The 226 Combat however does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Looks chrome lined to me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/9ecf58c1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/97d57cff.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/a3a07fa9.jpg

mrosamilia
03-30-12, 14:09
Thanks Robb,

I thought that mine looked like it was as well. I will take a pic of mine when I get home. I hope that it is!!!

F-Trooper05
03-30-12, 14:47
Is that a metal guide rod?

D.S. Brown
03-30-12, 17:51
I hate reflecting on nostalgia but it seems to me the best Sig Sauer Pistols come from the days when you had a a choice of 5 basic handguns, the P220, P225, P226, P228, P229, and the P230. Similarly your choice in upgrades were Siglite night sights, wooden grips, and nickel finish or two tone. That's it! And with the exception of the P229 they all said made in West Germany, and by the mid 90's made in Germany.

I'm no gunsmith by any means, and I know Bruce Grey says that the current production Sigs are superior to all of the German folded Sigs, but I absolutely would not buy a Sig Sauer handgun made after 2001.
Back in the 90's when I hated Glock my primary two gun battery was a P220 purchased in 91 that by 1999 had the better part of 10,000 rounds through it, no problems, and it's back up in 9mm a P225. Sadly sold both of them.

Just seems to me on another forum dedicated to Sig Sauer handguns, that I didn't start reading about quality control issues with Sig, and poor customers service, until I'd say about 6, maybe 7 years ago.

I remember talking to one of their reps one day a few years ago. He stated to me that the direction Sig would like to go in is to become a company that makes rifles, but also sells handguns, as if the latter was an afterthought.

I don't know much about business, I teach school, and I do private firearms instruction over the weekends, but to me if their was ever a company that really needed to go and reconnect with its roots, and go back to basics it is Sig Sauer/Sigarms.

Best,

Dave

Pappabear
03-31-12, 01:04
These guys make a new gun every week, and the holster thing is a sore spot for sure. My take on Sig is this, if I'm carrying or shooting a big heavy gun, it gonna be a 1911.

I do like their short reset triggers, from dry firing in shop, I should say.

Still its a no go for me still. They don't seem to excel to the top in any area of concern. They cost as much as an HK, and weigh more. They do pretty good marketing, cause they keep me looking. Credit where credit is due. And its a decent gun for sure, just doesn't check enough boxes at the top.

Q56_Monster
03-31-12, 08:57
How can you tell if the barrel is chrome lined? What is different about it in a pistol? Would it look like my M4? That sure is shiny. Is that it, just the shiny surface?

Robb Jensen
03-31-12, 09:34
How can you tell if the barrel is chrome lined? What is different about it in a pistol? Would it look like my M4? That sure is shiny. Is that it, just the shiny surface?

Barrel has bright silver bore, black phosphate exterior.....

Mjolnir
04-01-12, 10:36
If its the EXACT SAME pistol that's issued to NSW it should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckman
04-01-12, 12:54
I had several SIGs and really liked them. For a variety of reasons I got rid of them, but the only issue I had was a 229 that just could not produce a decent group. I will say that my 'best' SIGs were made 1987-1995. I even had a lot of success with the much-maligned 1911 and shot the hell out of it in some classes. I do think that the proliferation of the models and branching out into all sorts of weirdness has hurt the QC and the rep. As for the Mk25, no thanks. Another money-grubbing attempt by producing something 'new.'

og556
04-01-12, 12:55
My boss bought one of these a while ago and absolutely loves it.

It reminds me of my old P226R. His had the full size trigger, metal guide rod, and night sights.

As Robb has shown in pictures it definitely has a chrome lined barrel which is interesting.

This pistol makes me miss my old P226R. It appears to be well made.

Do they donate any money to NSW still when they sell these ?

Olaf
04-02-12, 12:52
They only donated to the SWOF from the sales of a limited production run with NSW serial numbers. I have a non railed version they released after the NSW serial numbered run that I like. I believe the Navy specified rails after that.