PDA

View Full Version : DD Rails Explained?

CB59
03-15-12, 07:01
I'm moving away from the front end setup on my custom Noveske that I've outfitted with a lightweight 14.5 DD bbl and A2 FSP, in favor of a low pro gas block and longer hand guard replacing the current MOE middy I'm running.

Daniel Defense has great products of coruse, but I can't really understand the advantages of Omega over Omega X over the AR15 Lite, price notwithstanding.

Would appreciate some advice if someone could explain the differences.

Thanks

Col_Crocs
03-15-12, 09:01
Omega series: Same 2pc. FF rail, different mounting methods. The omega is a drop in. It mounts and locks via 4 allen screws onto the standard barrel nut with the delta ring.
The omega x mounts andnlocks the same way but on their proprietary barrel nut.
The Lite is one piece, FF, and mounts on the same proprietary barrel nut via a bolt up collar and 6 bolts. All 3 are quite solid... Watch DD's torture test video and see the omega x take a good beating. The Lite should be even more solid. It also has more room inside to clear a low pro gas block.
Just to add: i know you didnt ask but i would just shave you current FSB into a low pro gasblock to fit under you rail. More solid than any gasblock you can get.

ASH556
03-15-12, 09:04
Nevermind, I was wrong.

Col_Crocs
03-15-12, 09:22
I checked their site and it is still available. I highly doubt DD would get rid of the Omega anytime soon. It is by far THE only FF rail that drops right in without any mods to the host weapon.

JasonM
03-15-12, 11:10
I believe the Omega is discontinued and replaced by the OmegaX

OmegaX

- includes QD sockets built into the rail
- 4 bolt lockup w/anti-rotational tabs
- Slightly slimmer, oval-shaped

Lite

- 6 bolt lockup
- Lighter than OmegaX
- No integral QD swivels

What are you talking about? You are off on pretty much everything.

The Omega (Not discontinued) -
Drop in freefloat, uses existing delta ring assembly. Integral sling QD points.

The OmegaX-
Freefloat, custom barrel nut, no anti-rotation. Integral Sling QD points. The lightest quad rail DD rail.

AR-15 Lite-
Freefloat, custom DD barrel nut. Mounts via the DD Bolt-Up system. Anti-rotation tabs. No integral sling QD.

ASH556
03-15-12, 11:19

The OmegaX-
Freefloat, custom barrel nut, no anti-rotation. Integral Sling QD points. The lightest quad rail DD rail.

AR-15 Lite-
Freefloat, custom DD barrel nut. Mounts via the DD Bolt-Up system. Anti-rotation tabs. No integral sling QD.

Sorry for being wrong.

snackgunner
03-15-12, 11:44

The OmegaX-

AR-15 Lite-

From Robs chart it seems the DD Lite rails in 9" and 12" are slightly lighter than the OmegaX rails in 9" and 12".
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=414
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2146

SteadyUp
03-15-12, 12:58
I checked their site and it is still available. I highly doubt DD would get rid of the Omega anytime soon. It is by far THE only FF rail that drops right in without any mods to the host weapon.

Another option to consider would be the Centurion Arms series of rails. They install on a stock barrel nut (although they do require removal of the delta ring and handguard cap). Quite a few members here have been using Centurion rails (myself included) without complaint.

fixit69
03-15-12, 13:40
I still have all three. Great pieces. Jason is spot on.

To your question: omega easy to install,
The others are a little more of a pita

So they are all great units and if you are going to kick the shit out of it, I still think that you can't go wrong, but let someone chime in with real world shitkicking and cqb with other people shooting back. Throwing gear around, falling on it, and generally bashing it to pieces.

Icculus
03-15-12, 13:54
Ok. I copied this out of another post a while back and had it just saved in a notepad on my machine so unfortunately I can't give credit to the original poster. I think its pretty accurate though; matches up with what JasonM posted and comments on a couple of the other models. Hope it helps:

The M4 rail will mount with the spanner ring but leaves a gap from the rail to the receiver.

The AR15 Lite Rail is a one piece design that uses a bolt up plate that sits behind the barrel nut. The rail secures to the bolt up plate through a weld flange on the rail. This rail can be used with a LPG or FSB.

The Omega X is a two piece design that also secures to the barrel nut but slightly different. It uses 4 set screws that tighten against the DD proprietary barrel nut and machine screws on the side to secure the top and bottom half. The Omega X has an advantage the Lite rail doesn't have. It has an integrated QD attachment point on both sides for right and left handed shooters. This rail can be used with a LPG or FSB.

The Omega Rail is exactly the same as the Omega X but secures against the standard AR15 barrel nut.

The M4A1 RIS II was made specifically for SOCOM (Special Operations Command or Special Forces) and is very similar to the AR15 Lite rail. It uses the same bolt up system but is a 2 piece design. The bottom section will detach so you can mount a M203 grenade launcher. Being a 2 piece design you also use machine screws to attach the 2 halves together. This rail can be used with a LPG or FSB.

The Daniel Defense MFR 12.0 is a 12" CNC Machined Modular Free Float Handguard. It is specifically designed to adequately cover a low profile gas block on a carbine or mid-length gas system barrel. The MFR 12.0 has been engineered to provide each shooter with the ultimate in modular adaptability. Should the shooter desire, the tube can be run “slick” with an uninterrupted top rail that runs the length of the tube. In addition, the installation of Modular Picatinny Rails is accomplished with little effort. This allows you to have rails anywhere you need them and nowhere you don’t. The slim profile of the MFR 12.0 keeps the shooter’s support hand close to the bore which aids in firearm manipulation, and the design and construction allow for the attachment of Picatinny Rail Sections at standard 90 degree or offset angles.

All rails come standard with appropriate barrel nut and DD's unlimited lifetime warranty. The MFR rail is currently the only one that comes with the barrel nut wrench.

Col_Crocs
03-15-12, 17:55
Another option to consider would be the Centurion Arms series of rails. They install on a stock barrel nut (although they do require removal of the delta ring and handguard cap). Quite a few members here have been using Centurion rails (myself included) without complaint.

I totally agree. I, myself, am very interested in the C4 rail. I just didnt bring it up as the subject at hand is the differences between DD's rails.

G.B.
03-15-12, 20:05
I have the m4v5 with the 12 inch omega x and it does have anti rotation tabs.

dhena81
03-15-12, 21:24
I like the Lite rail because of the anti-rotation tabs gives me more of a piece of mind.

Bonez556
03-15-12, 21:56
I have the m4v5 with the 12 inch omega x and it does have anti rotation tabs.

My v5 omega X rail had them as well.

PlatoCATM
03-15-12, 22:22
I can't speak to all the differences, but as for the MFR and Omega X, the design of the barrel nut makes them extremely easy to install. The weight and balance of using an MFR makes for a lively muzzle. I wish DD would make a direct QD sling socket for for the handguard.

Shagnasty
03-16-12, 01:24
I wish DD would make a direct QD sling socket for for the handguard.

+1 and +1 for MFR.

CB59
03-16-12, 08:22
Incredibly helpful. Thanks all. Will check out Centurion as well. Almost went with one of their bbls on my build but cheap'd out in the end to finish the project early and put a DD lightweight profile on it.

When spending triple hundreds on a piece of gear, you can't have too much information and your responses are much appreciated.

Col_Crocs
03-16-12, 08:35
When spending triple hundreds on a piece of gear, you can't have too much information...

True.
If you dont mind, what specific features are you looking for in a rail?

m4brian
03-16-12, 08:49
+1 and +1 for MFR.

+1 especially on the FSP rail...Centurion gets kudos for this...

CB59
03-16-12, 08:51
True.
If you dont mind, what specific features are you looking for in a rail?

Lightweight, smallish rail diameter (the DD rails look bulkier than Centurion and JP), rugged, 12" in length to go with a 14.5bbl and SureFire comp, attachment point for a QD mount. Oh..and I'd like it in OD green. :haha:

jstyer
03-16-12, 09:21
Lightweight, smallish rail diameter (the DD rails look bulkier than Centurion and JP), rugged, 12" in length to go with a 14.5bbl and SureFire comp, attachment point for a QD mount. Oh..and I'd like it in OD green. :haha:

When you mention the jp rail, I'm assuming you mean their modular forends. For what it's worth, the JP forend and DD MFR have the EXACT same outer diameter. (1.75 in) I have both and prefer the DD modular rail.

http://img.tapatalk.com/62a78b17-4c66-3a3c.jpg

That's the DD on a 14.5" gun.

Col_Crocs
03-16-12, 17:37

The Omega and Omega X are tall but very very slim. Just a tad wider than your upper receiver, looking at it from the top. This very slim profile also means your choices of GBs are limited or would have to dremel your FSB very low to clear. The Lite is probably just as tall but a little wider and in turn is more forgiving with GB choices.

samuse
03-16-12, 19:32

I like the dimensions of the LaRue rails. I'll have a 12" on a 16" mid later this year.

I use a DD RIS II and it's a great one too. A little larger around than a LaRue though.

I really can't stand Daniel Defense rails because of the bottom rail hanging down that far. Does anyone know why they do that?

Pappabear
03-16-12, 23:41
The Omega and Omega X are tall but very very slim. Just a tad wider than your upper receiver, looking at it from the top. This very slim profile also means your choices of GBs are limited or would have to dremel your FSB very low to clear. The Lite is probably just as tall but a little wider and in turn is more forgiving with GB choices.

I too have multiple DD rails. Omega's and RIS II....I do kinda like the slim line profile of my Omega. I went with the FSB version and a Surefire in front. I have really enjoyed all the DD products. Good stuff. It would be good if you could handle one to see how you like.

Col_Crocs
03-17-12, 01:43
Funny you mention that. I found the Omega's slim profile odd at first but totally missed it when i went with the RIS II on another build. i love the RIS for what it is but the Omega just feel better on my hand.

rob_s
03-17-12, 04:19
free-float handguards have become a huge market segment and there aren't a lot of people that have a lot of time with any appreciable sampling of various types. Not that long ago your choices were Larue and Daniel Defense for quality FF 4-rail handguards and YHM and one or two others for lower-quality examples. Now there are dozens of companies, Brazillian (smooth-side) in addition to the traditional 4-rail, drop-in (mounts to stock barrel nut) vs. proprietary nut.... It is easy to get confused.

I created, and maintain, this chart just to try and get a handle on the hard data
https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/charts/free-float-rails

Over the years people have commented on this rail or that rail "feeling" taller or wider than another but the truth is that the ratio of height to width can give a false feeling in the hand.

CB, figure out exactly why you want a FF handguard and what you want to do with it or mount to it and it should make the "right" answer pretty clear to you. I'm still a fan of the original DD M4 handguards because of the lighter weight and narrower width. and while I like the Brazilian handguards I am coming back to the 4-rail designs with Larue Index Clips for what I consider to be the best combination of weight/diameter/heat-shielding. The Brazilians are great but I've gotten the Troy versions hot enough to be uncomfortable in the bare hand in surprisingly low volumes of fire.

When choosing a FF handguard you can think of it as a flow-chart with the first, and biggest, choice being "4-rail vs. Brazilian".

Hmmm, I feel an article coming on...

SeriousStudent
03-17-12, 10:08

Hmmm, I feel an article coming on...

Rob, I think that would be very useful to a lot of people. As you said, it's a very expensive area to engage in trial and error.

Thanks.

OldState
03-17-12, 11:14
I installed and Omega X FSP on my Colt and a RIS II on my buddy's M&P. They were the first and second rail I ever installed and had both on in 30 minutes each.

I prefer my Omega X because it is way slimmer. The RIS II is a tank and feels like it.

I also paid $180 from Midway (on sale and $20 off $200 code) and he paid something like $350.

I realize that the Lite and RIS theoretically have a stronger lock up, but after seeing the torcher test on the Omega X I'm not concerned. I also paid almost half of what he did.

I don't know I could have gotten a better rail for $180.

TangoSauce
03-17-12, 12:37
While we're on the topic...does the Omega/Omega X fit over a LaRue gas block?

IZinterrogator
03-20-12, 02:59
Ok. I copied this out of another post a while back and had it just saved in a notepad on my machine so unfortunately I can't give credit to the original poster. I think its pretty accurate though; matches up with what JasonM posted and comments on a couple of the other models. Hope it helps:

Actually, the last RIS II I bought had the proper barrel wrench included. Which pissed me off to no end because I had bought the wrench separately for the install. :banghead:

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Bowser
03-20-12, 04:28
Apart from how they mount and if they're 2 pieces or not, this should help too.

http://i.imgur.com/VV58K.gif

OldState
03-20-12, 07:02
I'd bet 9 out of 10 people would prefer the thinner rail in a blind feel test. ;)
Grabbing the RISII vs the Omega X is like grabbing a Glock 21 and a 1911.