PDA

View Full Version : Selling the 870 for an Auto for Defensive purposes

Winter
03-15-12, 22:52
Hey Guys,

I am seriously considering selling my tried and true Rem 870, when I say tried and true I mean that no coke can or clay pigeon has gone un-hit out at the range. I have by no means ever been in a situation where I have had to use it to defend myself or my wife. I have never had any malfunctions with the gun and have actually had it reliable-itized(squidbillies/g.bush term) by J.D. at AI&P.

The reason I am asking this question is mainly because I am concerned that if my wife or I need to use it that there could be a user-error resulting in more fumbling than necessary. Also, in its current state the gun does not fit my 5'2" wife at all. Its easier to manipulate something a little too small for someone but something entirely different when working with an object too large/long. Also I would think that in a moment of immense stress such as a break in that all logic and reason go out the window so cycling a pump which is something that is not inherent in everyone would become an afterthought to just continuously pulling a trigger until the threat or yourself ceases to exist. I also believe that more errors would occur because of the user than they do because of the old autoloader vs. pump debate and I believe that if the firearm is taken care of properly and loaded with the right ammunition that it will function when needed.

Anyway, onto the gun part. I was thinking of dropping the coin on a Benelli or an SLP from FN. I need something that is adjustable and user friendly which seems more like the Benelli in the M4 config. with an adjustable stock. My wife is one of the most intelligent people I know and I believe that she would be able to think clearly enough to remember to cycle a round into the chamber and dis-engage a safety.
I know that it would be easier to keep my Rem. and just pick up something else for her but right now funds are very tight after just buying a house thats not completely finished and also her dis-interest in me getting/wanting to expand my firearm collection. I would rather have something that both of us could use for maitenance and simplicity issues, plus when I do go out to the range my shotgun usually stays at home.

I am open to any and all suggestions, especially from those who have smaller females at their sides.

Thank You,
Floyd

M4Fundi
03-16-12, 04:20
I would get her a 20g 870 and have the stock fitted for her with a LimbSaver or some cushy pad on it.

It is more important that she can implement the gun properly and will actually practice with it than it HAVING to be a 12g. The 870 is a better choice. IMHO.

Texas42
03-16-12, 06:26
Does your wife shoot?

If not, time to get her shooting. Get her some classes and have her decide which gun she wants.

Wake27
03-16-12, 08:55
I'd say go another route. 870s are definitely tried and true, but I wouldn't think a shotgun would be the best HD tool for her at all. I know she doesn't want you to expand your collection, but a Glock or M&P would be better for many reasons, and cheaper. For someone small like that, 12 gauge recoil is more than substantial. Plus I know some loads can cause autos to malfunction.

fyeguy
03-16-12, 09:06
I would suggest formal training in the defensive use of a shotgun before you do anything.

I had always held onto the notion that a shotgun would be the best option for home defense -- until training with one (and shot half a hundred three gun matches).

IMHO, the shotgun is one of the most complicated guns in the safe. Ammo selection, loading process, size/weight, reliability... all this things are issues that remove the shotgun from contention in my eyes.

chapperjoe
03-16-12, 09:12
I'm in a similar boat.
I have two 870's, always love them, never failed me, but now I have a chance (again) to add an 1100 tactical.

I'm very tempted to get it for the semi-auto capacity.
I trust the platform, I had one a few years back and it was solid.

The hesitation for me is size, it's tricky to SBR and the full stock can't collapse or fold (I do see a gimmick out there to change this, but I try and stick with whats proven!).

I have really thin hallways and I don't ever foresee using it outside of a home defense situation, e.g. I'm not a zombie apocalypse guy and g-d forbid using a gun outside the home will involve my AR.

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-16-12, 10:01
Have you asked her about this? My wife is 5'7" 130 and she carries one every day at work. She never has issue qualifying with it. It does bruse he shoulder a little and its heavy but she manages.

I might suggest the Knox stock you can shorten the length of pull and it cost a lot less than what your considering. Also try reduced recoill rounds from winchester.

ST911
03-16-12, 10:05
Useful thread.

"Please help my brother and I decide what shotgun to buy his wife."
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92877

Steve
03-16-12, 10:09
Have you asked her about this? My wife is 5'7" 130 and she carries one every day at work. She never has issue qualifying with it. It does bruse he shoulder a little and its heavy but she manages.

I might suggest the Knox stock you can shorten the length of pull and it cost a lot less than what your considering. Also try reduced recoill rounds from winchester.

issue with knoxx stocks are it often complicates the saftey manipulation and sight picture pending on type of sights used on the gun.... and i see at least 3-4 break every year in classes and matches

Steve
03-16-12, 10:16
I would suggest formal training in the defensive use of a shotgun before you do anything.

I had always held onto the notion that a shotgun would be the best option for home defense -- until training with one (and shot half a hundred three gun matches).

IMHO, the shotgun is one of the most complicated guns in the safe. Ammo selection, loading process, size/weight, reliability... all this things are issues that remove the shotgun from contention in my eyes.

why is it any different than anyother gun? that requires loading malfunctions etc...

a shotgun and some carbines guys have are about the same in weight
ammo choose one and live with it slugs or buck real simple zero the gun to those loads ... when was the last time you ever heard of a home owner or officer run out of shotgun ammo in a shooting?
outside of 1-2 incidents i can find? 870/500 very reliabile guns its when they get messed with they get they get goofey

years of waterfowler hunting have backed that up...

think practical slug/buck selects are not hard if you can load the gun you can perform the function........ people generaly choose to not like the gauge... to be honest its caveman simple

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-16-12, 10:30
issue with knoxx stocks are it often complicates the saftey manipulation and sight picture pending on type of sights used on the gun.... and i see at least 3-4 break every year in classes and matches

I will agree on the saftey issue. I dont shoot mine enough to see it brake, I will take your word for it.

fyeguy
03-16-12, 11:01
why is it any different than anyother gun? that requires loading malfunctions etc...
A popular video series on using the shotgun states in the first minute: "it's a truly complicated weapons system... it's not just point and shoot" :D

a shotgun and some carbines guys have are about the same in weight
ammo choose one and live with it slugs or buck real simple zero the gun to those loads ... when was the last time you ever heard of a home owner or officer run out of shotgun ammo in a shooting?
outside of 1-2 incidents i can find? 870/500 very reliabile guns its when they get messed with they get they get goofey
Or they can be short stroked, not fully returned to battery, etc. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just looking at it from what I see when I take inexperienced shooters out on the range. Using a glock or even an AR seems to be less intimidating and complicated than a shotgun. For some shooters a shotgun may be perfectly fine, but IMO in the hands of an inexperienced shooter it's not so simple.

to be honest its caveman simple
That's not been my experience, but my experience has mostly been with a timer and paper targets.

NWPilgrim
03-16-12, 11:12
Funny that my daughter just went through this process and what did she end up as her top pick? Rem 870 with reduced recoil buckshot.

Her husband has several Glocks, a couple of AR15s, and other firearms. She used to own a revolver, too. But when she started getting concerned with her husband deploying for months at a time she decided the 870 was her best friend.

She has shot hundreds of rounds of target loads in a weekend with a 500 and SBE, and some of the buckshot. She is average height and slim. She has no problem operating the 12 ga. pump.

Wake27
03-16-12, 11:37
This is starting to turn into a shotgun vs all others for HD thread. Trying to get back to OP, a shotgun may be fine, but again, I know I've read on here that some reduced recoil rounds will cause the auto to not fully cycle. And 12 ga. may be fine for some women, but make others not even want to fire it.

Patrick Aherne
03-16-12, 11:57
Get her a 20 gauge, youth stocked 870 and have her shoot the piss out of it at skeet trap, etc, or whatever shotgun game she thinks is fun. Then take her to a good trainer, like the tactical wookie, Steve Fisher, and get her a good solid defensive use skill set.

DoubleD396
03-16-12, 12:54
IMHO, I would stick with the 870, and practice drills. MUCH greater chance of a semi jamming in a stress situation. I have had multiple semis jam while clay pigeon shooting and hunting, I have forgotten to pump a time or two, but very seldom seen a pump jam. The benefit is that you know when you forget to pump very quickly, and can rectify it just as quickly, but a jam can be a bitch to deal with sometimes, just my $.02...

Winter
03-16-12, 15:36
Thanks all for the replies. In short, my wife has owned a Glock 19 before and that damn thing was still to big for her hands, she used to shoot my AR but always liked the shotgun best and those 12 ga. shells were no problem for her. I might think of getting her her own 12 ga.(which is what I didn't want) but that seems like the more practical approach. Maybe all this was just so I could really get an SLP :D. I will ask what she thinks as well as she just got home from a buisness trip.

Thanks

Steve
03-16-12, 16:02
A popular video series on using the shotgun states in the first minute: "it's a truly complicated weapons system... it's not just point and shoot" :D

AGREE ONLY IF MADE TO BE

Or they can be short stroked, not fully returned to battery, etc. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just looking at it from what I see when I take inexperienced shooters out on the range. Using a glock or even an AR seems to be less intimidating and complicated than a shotgun. For some shooters a shotgun may be perfectly fine, but IMO in the hands of an inexperienced shooter it's not so simple.

MOST OFTEN SHORT STROKING IS A CAUSE OF TO LONG A STOCK OF A STOCK AND SOME SHOOTERS NOT GAINING FULL TRAVEL
OR THEY TREAT IT LIKE THERE GRANDMOTHER YOU CANT BE NICE AND SWEET WITH YOU RUN IT LIKE CHEAP DATE....

SO CLEARING DOUBLE FEEDS OR ftf fte ARE SIMPLE FOR NEW SHOOTERS AND HOLDOVERS? AS WELL AS ON HANDGUN TRIGGER CONTROL AND SIGHT PICTURE ETC?
I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR SAYING TRUST ME I DO BUT THE GAUGE DOESNT HAVE TO BE COMPLICATED
That's not been my experience, but my experience has mostly been with a timer and paper targets.

Me in caps cause im lazy today:D

Wake27
03-16-12, 16:41
Thanks all for the replies. In short, my wife has owned a Glock 19 before and that damn thing was still to big for her hands, she used to shoot my AR but always liked the shotgun best and those 12 ga. shells were no problem for her. I might think of getting her her own 12 ga.(which is what I didn't want) but that seems like the more practical approach. Maybe all this was just so I could really get an SLP :D. I will ask what she thinks as well as she just got home from a buisness trip.

Thanks

Ohh I'd assumed she really wasn't much into shooting...

Winter
03-16-12, 18:06
Yeh shes quite the shot. I might ask her about selling the 870 and picking up an H&K pistol. She has shot a P30 before and actually hit the target! I prefer something other than a shotgun for hd so maybe I can convince her.

Thanks again guys

3 AE
03-27-12, 22:25
I find it odd that you claim money is tight but you're willing to spend $1800-$2000 for a semi auto shotgun that you would have to get an adjustable stock to fit you and your wife. Why sell the 870 that has proven itself to be reliable? You keep the 870, save up for a quality AR-15 carbine that you both can easily handle and she would be more accurate with than a pistol. Be realistic with your capabilities.

williejc
04-06-12, 11:21
Whatever you do, keep your 870 anyway, and then you'll have no regrets about selling a trusted and well performing weapon.