PDA

View Full Version : vanishing post

manicmallninja
03-16-12, 18:02
I have posted a review of a sling mount several times. Every time it seems to be deleted "or something ". I don't have a clue as to what is happening. The title of the review was "Gear Sector QD sling mount review" it had a link to a youtube video i created, am i breaking some rule or not posting in the right place? I have posted under general AR and under tactical gear and each has vanished in turn.

Thanks MANIC-:confused:

Failure2Stop
03-17-12, 10:20
See the last post in this thread.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=101549

Manic,

As per JSantoro:

M4C is not here strictly for a "manicmallninja" to pimp his YouTube account.

If you're unwilling to successfully contribute to the forum by providing your direct input, and just want to post links intended to do nothing more than directly benefit you, the M4C is unwilling to provide you the audience. You need to strike a balance.

This isn't Facebook or Twitter.

You need to start reading the rules and policies that govern the forum before posting again. You'll find them in the stickied threads at the tops of the Site Questions and General Discussion subforums.

manicmallninja
03-18-12, 14:16
why close my post?
I don't know why my post is closed, I am asked to participate more in the dialog to further the conversation, then the post is closed to any further discussion. I don't get it. I have been lurking in this form for a while now and haven't taken the time to register. Now that I have some thing to add I get locked out?

I do enjoy this form.

Also can you more specifically point out where it is stated that links to video reviews are not welcome? I searched the sight and did not find any thing directly stating the fact.

Thanks for helping out the FNG,

Austin,

JSantoro
03-20-12, 16:03
All right, more detail....

If you post a thread, or post in an existing thread, by means of dropping a single line of text in which you type some analogue of "Check out my video!" and do not post anything else but a link to said video, you stand a very good chance of having it broomed completely. That's because you are not participating, you are simply using somebody else's internet enterprise (M4C) to benefit YOUR internet enterprise...

...without giving something in return. I refer to the classic line form Full Metal Jacket, where the Gunny speaks to "...the common courtesy of a reach-around..."

You need to provide the reach-around. In most cases, that means that you need to discuss aspects of the material provided in any link to your YouTube channel.

In other words, unless you're a paying advertiser (you can be put in touch with a staff member for questions regarding site sponsorship or advertising) you need to participate in the same fashion as every other member of M4C....by joining in, and using your generated material as a reference to bolster a discussion....not simply create a discussion that's meant solely to boost your throughput, numbers, traffic, or whatever the current internet buzzword for that crap happens to be.

Please note, we're not actually asking you to STOP posting your links....it's simply that more is expected of you, and that you may not post them as a stand-alone item or as the center of gravity of an entire thread.

One example among many is an M4C member named Will Brink. Look up his posts; you'll see that he consistently refers to his own site or to articles that he has written....but he also actively participates (meaning he TYPES stuff to post...like, whole paragraphs and crap...) in forum discussions and uses his linked material as reference to discussions other than those he starts himself.

He participates. He's giving the forum the reach-around it deserves for providing a venue for his material. Paying it forward, staying true to his salt, earning his keep....choose the cliched' phrase that fits best....

You, too, will give us our reach-around if you want to Pied-Piper M4C members to your channel.

EXAMPLE: You do up a review of Power Widget of +6 Terminal Effect, then you conduct a Search and find an existing discussion thread regarding...*gasp* Power Widget of +6 Terminal Effect! :eek: Kismet!

You post a link to your review of Power Widget +6 of Terminal Effect in that existing thread, adding "Hey, guys, I did a review of Power Widget of +6 Terminal Effect that's available on my YouTube Channel! Here's the link, and please hit me up with any questions you may have and whether or not you think I missed something blah blah yadda..."

You become part of the discussion. Members ask you questions, see other stuff you've done, maybe even provide you with ideas as to other material you can generate.

Symbiotic instead of parasitic, which is what you've been trying to do, so far.

Apologies for being gross. And, Will, if you read this, I'm not implying ANYthing....:D

manicmallninja
03-20-12, 16:28
Thanks for the detailed follow up! I will live up to the M4’s “code of responsibility” in the future. Do you mind if I try and start a more detailed post going forward (i.e. photos, text, maby a link or two). It is my intention to disseminate information that I learn or deduce. I love shooting and just want to share my joy with others.
-MANIC