PDA

View Full Version : DPMS Problems

shua713
03-17-12, 08:43
I have a buddy who just bought a DPMS AR. I warned him that it was a sub par gun. He had a DPMS a few years ago and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Now he just got another and it is having problems. I was wandering if anyone may be able to help troubleshoot what is happening.

The bcg is binding up for some reason. He said that he had to use both hands to pull the charging handle back after he shot the first round. It seems to me that either the bcg or the reciever is out of spec. or maybe there is a burr in there that is catching. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this. I know not to many on here have these guns. but I would like to try and help him out. I know this is an "I told you so" but I would still like to be the better man and try to see if any of you may have a solution.

I guess you get what you pay for, he said he got it for $650.

Heavy Metal
03-17-12, 09:54
Tell him to send it back to DPMS.

Mabey you can't fix stupid but you sure don't have to make it comfortable.

Sarge45
03-17-12, 09:57
Tell him problems are always cheap. Send it back.

IYAAYASwarrior
03-17-12, 10:52
Have you taken it down and checked to see if there was anything "out of the norm" ??? Look for things like burrs, separation of any parts, gouges from potential foreign debris, things like that...I guess from there you will know where you stand. Last time I was in Wally World I asked to take a look at the DPMS Oracle???? they had...Charged it: Felt like it was dragging REALLY BAD....best thing you could have done as a friend was steer him away from scrap metal like DPMS...I learned that lesson years ago.........:nono:

Failure2Stop
03-17-12, 10:55
Send it to DPMS.
They built the thing, they should fix it.

shua713
03-17-12, 11:04
another twist in the story. He took it upon him self to try and buff the bcg with some steel wool. Do you think that he just voided any type of warranty that he may have had with it? He said that it sildes in and out a little better, but I am sure it is not sliding like it should.

Iraqgunz
03-17-12, 11:08
You're not giving us alot to work with.

How is it binding? Is he riding the bolt forward granny style and then pulling it back real slow?

First thing I would do is separate the upper and lower and ensure that the BCG is assembled properly.

Then I would place the BCG (minus handle) into the upper and slowly ride it forward. Check for binding and see if the carrier key is hitting the gas tube. See if the lugs are hitting the barrel extension as it moves forward.

Then I would look at the lower and make sure that the receiver extension and spring are assembled properly. Look for anything out of the ordinary.

This is off the top of my head. I would also encourage him to dump it back to the store or DPMS as soon as possible.

I have a buddy who just bought a DPMS AR. I warned him that it was a sub par gun. He had a DPMS a few years ago and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. Now he just got another and it is having problems. I was wandering if anyone may be able to help troubleshoot what is happening.

The bcg is binding up for some reason. He said that he had to use both hands to pull the charging handle back after he shot the first round. It seems to me that either the bcg or the reciever is out of spec. or maybe there is a burr in there that is catching. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this. I know not to many on here have these guns. but I would like to try and help him out. I know this is an "I told you so" but I would still like to be the better man and try to see if any of you may have a solution.

IYAAYASwarrior
03-17-12, 11:11
another twist in the story. He took it upon him self to try and buff the bcg with some steel wool. Do you think that he just voided any type of warranty that he may have had with it? He said that it sildes in and out a little better, but I am sure it is not sliding like it should.

"Altering or modifying parts is dangerous and will void the warranty. This DPMS Firearms, LLC rifle was manufactured to perform properly with the original parts as designed. It is your duty to make sure any parts you buy are made for this rifle and are installed correctly and that neither the originals nor the replacements are altered or changed"

Straight from the website. http://www.dpmsinc.com/support/warranty.aspx

BCmJUnKie
03-17-12, 11:12
This is awesome.

A guy I know did the SAME thing, I got an email yesterday saying he just picked up a DPMS.

For some reason they think it makes it okay since the price is so cheap

maddawg5777
03-17-12, 11:19
Haha, i had 2 buddies at work who wanted my advice... of course bcm and 6920 came out of my mouth. One guy bought the 6920 the other.... so dpms trash. The guy with the 6920 is loving life, how ever the other guys rifle went tits up within the first 50. advise for the OP, have him send it back then sell that POS to an idiot on barfcom or gunbroker asap... then buy quality!

Redhat
03-17-12, 11:19
Wonder what other "improvements" he made?

Failure2Stop
03-17-12, 11:28

Dude, you're trying to teach calculus to a sock-monkey.
Pop smoke and break contact, the sooner you do it the better at this point.
Who knows what steps he is taking behind closed doors?

JackFanToM
03-17-12, 11:38
Omg calculus to a sock monkey! Hysterical, another priceless USMC made statement. People wonder why when I tell them the hardest part of boot was not laughing...now you know.

KrampusArms
03-17-12, 16:48
What ammo was he using? Maybe the chamber is .223 & he was using 5.56. Or maybe the buffer detent got loose in the reciever extension.

I wonder if he buffed the whole carrier, or just the four raceway contact surfaces.

At least he bought some type of rifle. So his heart is there. Just not his head when it came to legitimate advice.

edit to add: Forward assist faulty??? I think that would completely bind up the weapon though...

Heavy Metal
03-17-12, 19:36
I have a simple policy.

If you ask for my recommendations and follow it, I will help you if you have a problem.

If you ignore it, I will not, not without a fee anyways. I am not a validation machine and I don't troubleshoot junk unless somebody is willing to pay me an hourly rate to do it. My time is too valuable.

Mister Moon
03-18-12, 12:52

duece71
03-18-12, 14:43

The very first round? Did he do a pre first range session inspection? IG's thread pertaining to what inspections should be done when 1st handling the rifle comes to mind.