PDA

View Full Version : Warm-weather CCW

tfltackdriver
03-17-12, 10:03
As the weather has been in the 80s here most of the week, I'm reminded how good it feels to throw on some elastic waistband shorts, an old t-shirt and some flip flops and how much it sucks to instead wear proper belt-loop shorts, an undershirt and a cover shirt to conceal my Glock 19.

I carry pretty much everywhere it isn't prohibited, reliably, three seasons out of the year. When it's hot out, I'll change if I'm going out with my family to suit carry, but if I'm going by myself, I leave the gun at home. I dislike this. I'm hoping there are options I haven't considered you can suggest. Here's what I've tried and what I'm considering (in novel format, sorry).

In seeking solutions in the past, I have carried a j-frame, which I could conceal with a t-shirt IWB. I have carried a Kel-Tec p32, then upgraded to an LCP. On the bigger fail side of the equation, I had a Glock 26 that was simply not an improvement over the Glock 19 in any fashion in terms of CC,W and a Kahr MK40 that was so shot out, the slide would rock on the frame when you pulled the trigger.

I shot the p32 well and it proved to be reliable after a fluff&buff for up to about 100 rounds, but then would get too dirty to cycle. Frankly, I was more concerned about stopping power than having a 100-round gunfight with a .32 mousegun. Honestly, I liked this little pistol a whole lot and wish I still had it.

The LCP and the M36 j-frame I owned also were a joy to carry and worked with beach bum attire, but I did not shoot either to my standards. The .380 ammo became impossible to find for a while, so I never gained proficiency. Call me a puss, but the LCP was a pain to shoot. I shot the j-frame extremely well with wadcutters, but very poorly with anything jacketed. I sometimes suspected this was a symptom of the barrel going on it, but I had a friend who shot it often, fell in love with it and was happy to shoot wadcutters, so I sold it to him.

So, I'm not considering whether to pick up a new pocket gun or to adopt an alternative method of CCW a la the Maxpedition versipack Fat Boy. I like the idea of sticking to the same pistol year-round instead of learning how to shoot another pistol well. Plus, we have another baby on the way and the idea of the versipack pulling double duty as a diaper bag and holster appeals to me if I'm going to be carrying some sort of murse anyhow.
OTOH, draw from a purse/murse is a joke. "Excuse me Mr. Mugger, I need to unzip my man purse here... hold on." It also carries the same problems as a ladies' purse in that it's not always on your person. Getting a new gun is a great temptation -- if I do, though, it has to be pocket carry, preferably semi-auto. I've pretty much taken a dump on the Ruger/Kel-tec models for the ridiculous trigger pull and slightly less of a dump on the airweight-type revolvers because they're simply difficult to shoot well due to recoil with +p .38s.

Trajan
03-17-12, 10:14
You can actually carry a gun in elastic shorts without them falling down?

Whats wrong with just a pair of good cargo shorts? My summer carry is now a pair of Abercrombie cargo shorts, Glock 17, and the RCS VG2.

Odglock
03-17-12, 10:35
I pocket carry a j frame or a Kahr pm9.

1911-A1
03-17-12, 10:44
Is the Walther PPS small enough for pocket carry? It would almost certainly work under almost any tshirt.

gtmtnbiker98
03-17-12, 10:49
Is the Walther PPS small enough for pocket carry? It would almost certainly work under almost any tshirt.

I buy relaxed fit jeans and shorts and have little problem carrying my PPS in a Nemesis.

Beat Trash
03-17-12, 11:16
The size of the PPS with a 6 rd magazine would make it doable, with the proper pockets. The weight might be an issue with elastic waistband type of shorts though.

ST911
03-17-12, 11:19
We could rehash the many ways to get the job done, but in the end it comes down to this:

Carry in the summer is simply a matter of dedication. You either have it, or you don't.

Get a pair of LW cargo shorts. Pocket carry J-frames, IWB, AIWB, or OWB a fighting gun with a cover garment. Do it daily and get used to it. Off-body carry is for BUGs and contingency guns. It is tactically inefficient and there's no good reason to do it.

And ditch the flip-flops. When you need your feet to fight or flee, have something on them with some protection.

skyugo
03-17-12, 11:20
j-frame!
more reliable than those craptastic little 380 things everyone is fawning over these days, AND it hits quite a bit harder. It's still less thump behind it than 9mm, but a good 38 special load is quite adequate.
again, crazy reliable.
it's much lighter than any 9mm, this doesn't seem like a big deal until you realize the carry options that fact opens up for you. things like pocket carry and belly bands are no longer unreasonable.

I didn't "get" the 38 snub thing for a long time, but it really is the ideal form factor for a concealed handgun. it doesn't have any of the square edges and crap that give away an automatic, and again, very light.

not the easiest gun to shoot admittedly, but quite doable. it's also very easy to dryfire practice with as the trigger is self resetting.

LowandLeft
03-17-12, 14:05
The only way I have found to carry in the summer is with a KelTec PF-9 w/ integral belt clip. I'm a skinnier guy (31 waist), so I don't have a lot of real estate to hide something. My next goal is to try a G19 with appendix carry.

As mentioned before, I guess summer carry come down to dedication!

jb7304
03-17-12, 15:17
J-frame or a Kahr CM9 in my pocket.

tfltackdriver
03-17-12, 16:05
I am far more willing to wear big boy shorts than to wear two shirts. I will take another look at lightweight snubbies and the pps, which I've never even seen in person.

And yes, I was able to carry the LCP and p32 in elastic shorts with the drawstring tied.

SGB
03-17-12, 16:27
Maybe this may work for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJIZWsMW5ZI&context=C4d0d8d8ADvjVQa1PpcFOq6dMnxdca7pJx2-QUamcTy5d2P7jRQms=

NavyDavy55
03-17-12, 17:28
S&W 442 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster worn in cargo pockets of shorts.

Abraxas
03-17-12, 19:31
We could rehash the many ways to get the job done, but in the end it comes down to this:

Carry in the summer is simply a matter of dedication. You either have it, or you don't.

Get a pair of LW cargo shorts. Pocket carry J-frames, IWB, AIWB, or OWB a fighting gun with a cover garment. Do it daily and get used to it. Off-body carry is for BUGs and contingency guns. It is tactically inefficient and there's no good reason to do it.

And ditch the flip-flops. When you need your feet to fight or flee, have something on them with some protection.Solid gold. End thread

og556
03-17-12, 19:40
I just wear one size larger t shirts in the summer time.

I carry a G19 IWB all year round. I'm not a fan of flip flops I prefer boots or sneakers.

packinaglock
03-17-12, 19:43

And ditch the flip-flops. When you need your feet to fight or flee, have something on them with some protection.

True, I live in Florida and wear cargo shorts year round. I carry either a G19, G26 or an M&Pc. A good gun belt & cargo's will go a long way, it just depends how well armed you want to be.

tfltackdriver
03-17-12, 20:10
Solid gold. End thread

Let's not get too taken away with ourselves and pretend there isn't a continuum of comfort and concealability. Otherwise, we would all carry pistol-grip shotguns and wear dusters year-round.

I realize I'm asking too much. I could've cut out the novel and said I can't hide my regular carry pistol under a T shirt and that I wanted to explore my options -- that I had tried some things that didn't work and was looking for new ideas.

Looks like the 442 is the answer I'm looking for unless I can figure out if the lcr or bodyguard are better options.

Thanks to all for your help.

Guinnessman
03-17-12, 20:15
My HK P2000SK carries just fine during the summer with cargo shorts and a quality belt. I have a Milt Sparks VMII that makes carrying the P2000SK very comfortable.

As long as you wear a T-Shirt that is a little on the baggy side you will be fine. I wear button down shirts that are not oversized, and conceal the P2000SK no problem. If you ditch the tight, metrosexual style shirts you will be able to conceal just fine.:D

Kokopelli
03-17-12, 20:19

There-ya go.. The only difference in summer attire for me is shorter pants.. Ron

RagweedZulu
03-17-12, 22:18
I live in Central Kalifornia's oven-like summer temps and end up carrying my G27 AIWB in a cheap leather Galco Tuck-N-Go about 98% of the time. With a spare 13 round mag on my offside, I feel pretty well armed. It's as close to a full size fighting handgun as I'm going to get and it carries nicely under cargo shorts and a T-shirt. No flip flops.

I've carried my S&W 642 around in cargo shorts too and hardly noticed it was there. Truth is, it's so dang light that with a good AIWB holster, I've carried it inside baggy swim trunk-style shorts with zero printing. 5 rounds of .38 beat the heck outta leaving your weapon at home because it's hot.

Sensei
03-18-12, 02:26
Maybe this may work for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJIZWsMW5ZI&context=C4d0d8d8ADvjVQa1PpcFOq6dMnxdca7pJx2-QUamcTy5d2P7jRQms=

This seems rather interesting. Has anyone else tried this Tactipac / Fusionpac product. There are a few positive reviews on less reputable gun forums, but my search here had no hits. I'm interested in the durability of where the Velcro strap meets the ballistic nylon as well as the retention afforded by the Kydex. He looks like a one man shop which is always a little concerning in the holster industry.

durus5995
03-18-12, 04:14
This seems rather interesting. Has anyone else tried this Tactipac / Fusionpac product. There are a few positive reviews on less reputable gun forums, but my search here had no hits. I'm interested in the durability of where the Velcro strap meets the ballistic nylon as well as the retention afforded by the Kydex. He looks like a one man shop which is always a little concerning in the holster industry.

Plus you got to be wary about a holster that claims "is the Most Concealable, Most Comfortable, Most Versatile, Lightest Weight & MOST TUCKABLE Inside the Waist Band deep concealed holster on the market today." IMO the marketing hype for this seems very similar to the pager / cell pal holster which doesnt bode well for the holster.

However, it could be a gold mine if it allows a person to carry a mid to full size pistol while running or working out.

rob_s
03-18-12, 05:34

Yeah, but it's also a matter of priorities and potential threat assessment. Even the studs that carry a Glock 21 and two spare mags in 112 degree weather go through the same process, otherwise they'd be walking around with their AR. or a BAR.

I'm a Florida native so the weather here is normal to me, and I'm STILL not going to sacrifice comfort to be able to carry the gun the internet tells me I need to. I'm going to keep my SA up, not live in shitty areas, not travel into shitty areas, and carry a P32 in my pocket and wear my flip-flops. I'll ditch 'em and run barefoot if it gets that bad. Hell I might even wear a tank-top. If I'm headed out of town where I don't have control of where I go (due to potentially being lost or requirements of the trip) I'll deal with the heat issues then due to a higher perceived level of danger and potential threat.

Christ, I've read threads on the internet where guys talk about either not going to the beach with their family entirely, or wearing all their geared-up "sheepdog" ninja shit when they do. It can get out of hand real fast. I frankly think most of those guys are doing it just so they can go on the internet and say they're doing it. If I was going to a beach where I thought I was going to need 35 rounds of 9mm I'd find another beach.

People think that having the gun is the number one priority. Outside of a professional use (and I include working in any high-risk profession here including working at a jewelry/pawn shop, 7/11, etc. but hopefully those places are air-conditioned and you can dress appropriately), if you find yourself needing the gun it means you failed, probably more than once, up to that point. You read all these stories of people that get involved in shootings in alleys, outside bars, in shitty neighborhoods, getting money from an ATM at 3 AM, etc. Me? I'll just not do that stupid shit.

rob_s
03-18-12, 05:59

You know, I started out watching that video thinking "this is going to be horribly stupid" but by the end I am honestly intersted in trying one. I don't understand why the backing is so huge, but I like the concept. I have a friend that uses the Belly Band (http://www.amazon.com/Belly-Band-Concealment-Holster-Large-40/dp/B003KVEJVW) almost exactly the same way.

KCabbage
03-18-12, 07:51
Smart carry or Thunderwear. 99% of the time I keep the grip of the weapon above the belt or drawstring line. I use it like that at the one and three o'clock position. If ultra discreet carry is needed I use the holster as it was intended with the whole gun in and under the belt or drawstring line.

I've used these type of holsters for many years now. I really like the way the weapon weight is held by the waist rather than the belt.

As for a small, light weapon there are many. I've been hanging with the Kahr line.

t1tan
03-18-12, 08:14
Smart carry or Thunderwear. 99% of the time I keep the grip of the weapon above the belt or drawstring line. I use it like that at the one and three o'clock position. If ultra discreet carry is needed I use the holster as it was intended with the whole gun in and under the belt or drawstring line.

I've used these type of holsters for many years now. I really like the way the weapon weight is held by the waist rather than the belt.

+1

Unless I'm at work, or some occasion that calls for something specific, I'm in gym shorts. I hate being hot, I hate being uncomfortable, and wearing more than I need to is not something I enjoy doing. Even in the winter, gym shorts and a hoodie, at 12:30-1 my G17 disappears. Summer time is going to be a G26 or a PPS in the same mode of carry.

Very comfortable option and when keeping the grip over the pant waist, draws are still quick. Going to anything with belt loops is a VG2 or CCC Shaggy.

packinaglock
03-18-12, 08:19
Yeah, but it's also a matter of priorities and potential threat assessment. Even the studs that carry a Glock 21 and two spare mags in 112 degree weather go through the same process, otherwise they'd be walking around with their AR. or a BAR.

I'm a Florida native so the weather here is normal to me, and I'm STILL not going to sacrifice comfort to be able to carry the gun the internet tells me I need to. I'm going to keep my SA up, not live in shitty areas, not travel into shitty areas, and carry a P32 in my pocket and wear my flip-flops. I'll ditch 'em and run barefoot if it gets that bad. Hell I might even wear a tank-top. If I'm headed out of town where I don't have control of where I go (due to potentially being lost or requirements of the trip) I'll deal with the heat issues then due to a higher perceived level of danger and potential threat.

Christ, I've read threads on the internet where guys talk about either not going to the beach with their family entirely, or wearing all their geared-up "sheepdog" ninja shit when they do. It can get out of hand real fast. I frankly think most of those guys are doing it just so they can go on the internet and say they're doing it. If I was going to a beach where I thought I was going to need 35 rounds of 9mm I'd find another beach.

People think that having the gun is the number one priority. Outside of a professional use (and I include working in any high-risk profession here including working at a jewelry/pawn shop, 7/11, etc. but hopefully those places are air-conditioned and you can dress appropriately), if you find yourself needing the gun it means you failed, probably more than once, up to that point. You read all these stories of people that get involved in shootings in alleys, outside bars, in shitty neighborhoods, getting money from an ATM at 3 AM, etc. Me? I'll just not do that stupid shit.

I generally don't have a problem unless I'm wearing my Speedo to the beach, then it gets a little tricky and you learn to hide things in unmentionable spaces. :secret:

I kid! I kid!, When I go to the beach I still wear cargo shorts. :D

ggp2jz
03-18-12, 08:19
Cargo shorts
Tshirt
Full size m&p 9

Lost River
03-18-12, 09:15
OP,

Do you really feel that you must have an under shirt to CCW the G19?

I know everyone is different, but I do not know many who actually do wear an undershirt. Most just run a regular T-shirt that will hide their chosen sidearm.

Could it be a holster issue? Have you tried something along the lines of a Milt Sparks EX Companion, Versa Max, etc? Coupled with a proper belt, it can make a world of difference.

Sry0fcr
03-18-12, 10:24

Lots of truth in these two posts. I'm somewhere in between.

Canonshooter
03-18-12, 10:29

I carry mine in a CompTac Minotaur (http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=95). In our not-so-hot-and-humid NH summers, I wear a light t-shirt tucked in and a golf shirt over the top (not tucked in). Comfortable and conceals well, the entire rig with pistol, mag and holster weighs less than 2 pounds. I have also found that I can shoot the 9mm PPS extremely well.

In regards to the benefits of lawful concealed carry, that is entirely a personal decision that has to be made based on many factors. In my case I live in a state where it is 100% lawful, I have spent decades studying the issues/law/applications of use of dealy force in self-defense, training, perfecting technique, mindset, etc. I have also finally found a system that is (1) very comfortable to carry and (2) that I can use effectively. So at least in my case it makes sense to make it a regular practice, one that I take quite seriously.

jonconsiglio
03-18-12, 11:32
It gets pretty hot here in South Texas. But, I've never altered what I carry. It's not because I'm so hardcore about my carry gun, it just never bothered me. I carry a Glock 17. Before that, I carried a Commander of full size 1911.

When it's mid summer, I'll wear a pair of lighter pants or jeans and a t shirt, with a tank top on a rare occasion. If we're going to the beach, I'll throw it in my bag. We have two kids and rarely go to the beach alone, so we tow all kinds of shit with us. I will not sacrifice certain things due to carrying. I will always find a way to carry, not give up what we want to do. Doesn't mean I'm going for a run in a thong through the ghetto, but you guys get the idea.

If I'm out jogging, which I haven't been doing as much as I should, then I will carry a j frame or similar sized handgun. It's never been an issue. I can carry the Glock 17 in jeans (or even linen pants) and a t shirt. If I'm working, I'll wear pants (business-casual and sometimes a nice pair of jeans) and a button down.

I'm not a big guy, barely 5'9" and 172 lbs, but I can carry the Glock 17 and a spare mag outside the waistband in a t shirt (semi-fitted, not a baggy t shirt) and never have an issue. When I carried inside the waistband or a 1911 IWB, it was even easier.

I have a couple pics of it somewhere with a 1911. I'll post them if I can find them.

And yes, I know I have a nice ass… Enough with the PM's already. ;) The only difference now from these pics a few years ago is that I carry a Glock 17 outside the waistband.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/DSC_5254T-1.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/DSC_8650.jpg

At work

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/DSC_8669.jpg

DWood
03-18-12, 11:39
You know, I started out watching that video thinking "this is going to be horribly stupid" but by the end I am honestly intersted in trying one. I don't understand why the backing is so huge, but I like the concept. I have a friend that uses the Belly Band (http://www.amazon.com/Belly-Band-Concealment-Holster-Large-40/dp/B003KVEJVW) almost exactly the same way.

I would be interested in this holster for the walks I like to take with my dog. I usually end up wearing cargo shorts and a belt to keep my pants up while carrying. Even a pocketed J frame is too heavy for my likes with athletic shorts because without a belt it pulls them down.

Anyway, I see some possibilities but I would like to see a smaller version.

Beat Trash
03-18-12, 15:40

I could see this as having merit while going for a run. Provided it works as advertised.

charmcitycop
03-18-12, 15:48

Sensei
03-18-12, 16:50

I think that the large backing prevents any portions of the frame/grip from contacting your skin or undershirt. This addresses the largest problem that I have with my RTF glocks while wearing only 1 layer; the grip chafes my skin. I've been wanting a holster that does not attach to the pants, but also has a barrier between the weapon and my skin; this may be just the trick provided that the velcro and kydex are well built. I have seen some negative reviews about the Kydex being too slick (causing pants to slip down) and having some sharp edges. However, these seem to be minorty reports.

I currently use a Smart Carry for most of my shorts and T-shirt needs. However, this creates the need to train with a whole new draw stroke compared to my usual 4 o'clock IWB or 3 o'clock OWB methods. I'd love to have a holster that lets me wear gym shorts, 1 t-shirt, and a 4 o'clock IWB carry without rubbing myself raw.

jonconsiglio
03-18-12, 16:55
I agree with what Rob is saying. But, the two times I've needed a gun, neither were due to situational awareness. Well, maybe the first could have been avoided had I known 12 years ago what I know now, but even then I'm not sure.

The second time, it came to me, at my home at 3am. I stumbled into it with no indication of what was coming.

texag
03-18-12, 17:12
I haven't been carrying long, but didn't have any issues in the miserable (even for Texas) summer last year. Lightweight columbia style fishing shirts, nylon hiking shorts, and a P30 AIWB. I'm 5'11" 155lbs.

KCabbage
03-18-12, 18:56

Please tell me you're kidding????

jonconsiglio
03-18-12, 19:20
He is... He often sends me an email around 3am when he's headed out to the ATM.

RagweedZulu
03-18-12, 23:27
http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee343/jonconsiglio/Forums/DSC_5254T-1.jpg[/IMG]
]

Dude, your wife wants her jeans back.

RagweedZulu
03-18-12, 23:35

Where to start... Where to start. Unfortunately I think this guy IS serious.

1). Lose the flip flops. You can't get them off fast enough in a SHTF situation. You'll end up tripping over them and on your ass. AND, should you get them off, there's a GREAT chance there will be broken glass from the event in your path as you flee. Big boy shoes.

2) you don't get to PICK when somethig bad is going to happen. Most of us stay out of bad neighborhoods off duty. But we might HAVE to go to the ATM at 0300. And bad guys will come to YOU! Home invasions happen in NICE hoods, why break into a tweaker's apartment?!?! Crime, assaults and car jackings happen on regular ol' main street America. You can't just "avoid" these places. Scan the news, you'll see a recent shooting in Beverly Hills. You think that lady tried to stay out of bad neighborhoods?

3) I've failed if I need my gun?!? So a Goth ****nut in a trench coat comes into MY mall while I'm taking MY kids to a movie and starts shooting in OUR direction?!? I've just used my gun to defend my family, but somehow I failed because I didn't know ahead of time he was coming in through the JC Penny's. Jeez bro, wear your shoes and carry a fighting handgun and a spare mag. Then live your life and don't let thugs force you into staying in only 7% of your city.

JSantoro
03-19-12, 08:30
Can we do this without a "less filling/tastes great" totally made-up scenario war?

"But-but-but *hand-wringing*.....we CAN'T do this unless we create an environment in our mind's eye...!"

Bullshit, you just wanna play :MichaelBayontheinternet:. Grow up.

I'm gonna punch everybody's knowledge-face with my mind-fist: warm weather carry is exactly the same as cold-weather carry, except that you're wearing fewer layers. :eek: [Keanu Reeves]Whoa![/Keanu Reeves] It's clothing, not microbiology.

You are left with the choice of 1) dress around your gun OR 2) switch to another gun that matches your chosen manner of dress, OR in those times where one cannot carry for whatever reason.....3) PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

How does this question somehow leap leap away being answered by one of those 3 simple options just by being asked YET AGAIN (hint-hint) in front of a new batch of folks tooling about for their next argument over trivialties?

BREAK-BREAK

....that IS a LOT of embroidery on those pants..... :p

jonconsiglio
03-19-12, 08:49
Dude, your wife wants her jeans back.

Nice! I love those jeans... And I'm man enough to admit that I wear designer jeans. :cool:

jonconsiglio
03-19-12, 09:12
BREAK-BREAK

It's NOT embroidery. True Religions are awesome jeans and I'm confident enough in my manliness that I'll continue to wear designer jeans. :eek: I have a bunch of Levi's and some nicer jeans that look more standard, as well as some "tactical" pants, so y'all ladies just back off!

I KNEW I'd hear some shit over this!

As for the topic and recent posts... Like I said before, I carry the same handguns regardless of the weather. Also, RagweedZulu, I understand what you're saying about areas that you travel. I also understand Rob's points. The problem is, some people actually believe they're safer in certain areas and let their situational awareness slack, which actually makes that area more dangerous.

For example, I've been in two very bad situations that weren't work related. The first time I was 19 years old. It was a carjacking in a nice area right outside of Pittsburgh around noon on a Saturday. I had none of the training I do now. It ended badly for one of the two carjackers. The second time was last year. 3am I woke up and went to smoke. I stumbled on two guys trying to break into my house. We live in an upper middle class area. One of the guys came at me with a crowbar. As I moved to the side and drew, he must have rethought his decision and took off.

A few months later, a corner house that was well lit, just like mine two blocks over, was broken into by two guys, according to neighbors, and the elderly man who survived Pearl Harbor was bludgeoned to death with something like a crowbar.

It can happen anywhere, anytime. We just need to keep our awareness up. I don't live in fear and we do what we want. I do avoid certain areas if I can and do my best to not put myself or my family in bad places. Unfortunately, it's not always up to us when and where these things happen.

ReaperAZ
03-19-12, 09:31
Nice! I love those jeans... And I'm man enough to admit that I wear designer jeans. :cool:

Fear not, you are not the only one! Those who knock 'em just haven't tried them. You can totally tell the difference in a cheap pair of Old Navy jeans and a pair of designers.

As for the "warm weather" carry. It tends to get a tad warm here in AZ, just a tad. Typically carry IWB and occasionally OWB. As long as I am not at work I carry everywhere(legally)year round. I don't change how I carry no matter what I wear or where I am wearing it. It could be 109 degrees or 60 degrees. Geographical location plays no part in my deciding factor of when I choose to carry. I would rather have it on me and not need it, then need it and not have it. Just ask those that went to a Safeway here in town and witnessed a nut job blast away in a parking lot killing 6 and wounding many others. I will wear jeans(designer :p)or cargo shorts with a t-shirt untucked or a button up short sleeve untucked. Just me personal preference.

Beat Trash
03-19-12, 09:42
WOW...

First off, no comment about the "manly jeans".

Life is about compromise guys. So is warm weather carry. If we had a crystal ball and could predict when and where we would be involved in an armed confrontation, the smart thing to do would be to stay home that day. Same thing applies as to the dynamics of an armed confrontation, as it applies to number of suspects, distance, ect.

Sometimes shit just happens, no matter how good your situational awareness might be.

Even though I strongly feel that life involves some compromise, I have my personal limits. For me, I will not go below a 38 spec J-frame or a subcompact 9mm (Kahr PM9).

Sometimes the situation can be handled prior to escalating to lethal force. Sometimes this involves movement, hence the comments against flip flops foot wear.

With a good holster, some insight and some dedication, a decent sized and effective pistol such as a Glock 19 can be carried in hot and muggy environments. I did it for a number of years. But if one choses to compromise and go with a easier to carry pocket gun such as a J-Frame, do so knowing what you are giving up by doing so. If you feel ok with that, good luck and God bless.

This topic started off in a very good direction. But in the last page or so, it took a detour. I know I'm not a moderator, but how about we get it back on track before it starts down the road to personal attacks?

Oh and jonconsiglio, nice picture of your 1911, no comment on your ass...

CobraBG
03-19-12, 09:46
For summer attire I rely on my S&W J frame in either a pocket holster or an IWB holster. It does concern me that I've only got 5 shots of .38+P but at least I carry it, 5>0.

I would much rather rely on my G30SF with an extra mag.

tfltackdriver
03-19-12, 09:50
Can we do this without a "less filling/tastes great" totally made-up scenario war?

"But-but-but *hand-wringing*.....we CAN'T do this unless we create an environment in our mind's eye...!"

Bullshit, you just wanna play :MichaelBayontheinternet:. Grow up.

I'm gonna punch everybody's knowledge-face with my mind-fist: warm weather carry is exactly the same as cold-weather carry, except that you're wearing fewer layers. :eek: [Keanu Reeves]Whoa![/Keanu Reeves] It's clothing, not microbiology.

You are left with the choice of 1) dress around your gun OR 2) switch to another gun that matches your chosen manner of dress, OR in those times where one cannot carry for whatever reason.....3) PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

How does this question somehow leap leap away being answered by one of those 3 simple options just by being asked YET AGAIN (hint-hint) in front of a new batch of folks tooling about for their next argument over trivialties?

BREAK-BREAK

The question was asked in good faith. I asked it here because I'm not a neophyte and I wrongly assume often that folks here are also not neophytes and may have knowledge of new shit (this uber belly band thing) or be in the same boat and have suggestions for options I haven't considered (Columbia fishing shirts! Yes!). As you suggest, however, that's sort of the extent of it. I figure it's worth asking from time to time because I sure haven't figured it out and new people have new ideas. Point taken.

But if we're going to pretend that wading through the bullshit and preaching wasn't worth seeing those photos, well, f**k me. Speaking about debating trivial details, I spent 10 minutes this morning trying to figure out whether to make one my avatar here or to post it as my Facebook profile photo.

munch520
03-19-12, 09:55
It's NOT embroidery. True Religions are awesome jeans and I'm confident enough in my manliness that I'll continue to wear designer jeans.

Word. I have a couple pairs of Trues, and they are real comfortable...bought em after I read a survey in Men's Health...'#1 thing women hate about the way men dress = their jeans are too baggy.' Say what you want, I was single and did most anything I could to improve my odds :haha:

It's already been said, you're just wearing less layers. Quality belt/holster will conceal what you need every time...even in jeans and a tshirt, which is my default summer attire.

In an effort to get some heat off Jon :) here's one of my tighter shirts, jeans, and my full size HK. No problem concealing. Can't say enough good things about Forged Clothing btw, check em out.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/Holsters/f58e78a4.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/Holsters/193ff2da.jpg

AG Gunleather belt, TT Gunleather holster, 34" jeans
6'1, 203lbs, 32" waist

DocH
03-19-12, 10:06
Munch,that's a very good example of how easy it is to conceal in that manner.Most people just won't give a second glance,period.

However,I am one of the very few people that finds the G26 easier and better for summer carry than the G19,even with a + extender baseplate. The particular 26 that I carry actually is more accurate and simply outshoots every other 9mm Glock I own.Why?
I have no idea.Maybe it's just old eyes working better with a shorter sight radius.I carry it AIWB under an untucked T most of the time . Nothing to it.

Palmguy
03-19-12, 10:12
The question was asked in good faith. I asked it here because I'm not a neophyte and I wrongly assume often that folks here are also not neophytes and may have knowledge of new shit (this uber belly band thing) or be in the same boat and have suggestions for options I haven't considered (Columbia fishing shirts! Yes!). As you suggest, however, that's sort of the extent of it. I figure it's worth asking from time to time because I sure haven't figured it out and new people have new ideas. Point taken.

But if we're going to pretend that wading through the bullshit and preaching wasn't worth seeing those photos, well, f**k me. Speaking about debating trivial details, I spent 10 minutes this morning trying to figure out whether to make one my avatar here or to post it as my Facebook profile photo.

The Columbia style fishing shirts...I think I could probably carry a G21 if I wanted to with those. I have a few that I tend to wear on the weekends in the summer, and a G19 is a breeze.

My recommendation would be to upgrade your gym shorts to cargo shorts and a good belt. You give up almost nothing in comfort but you gain a stable platform for a gun (and cargo pockets, of course). Standard issue casual attire for me for about 10 months out of the year...despite living in Florida, I do actually put the shorts away for our short but relatively cold winter (compared to the rest of the state anyways). I won't get into the flip-flop debate except to say that the points that have been brought up against them are worth consideration. Personally, I do wear them.

jonconsiglio
03-19-12, 10:44
Oh and jonconsiglio, nice picture of your 1911, no comment on your ass...

Thanks. The rest of y'all are just haters! :p

Anyway… The point was that I can carry a 1911 or Glock 17 in a t shirt, regardless of the weather. If you guys stop staring at my ass, you'll see there's a handgun there that conceals quite well in comfortable, warm weather clothing. Now, regardless whether my jeans are Levi's, cargo pants a pair of dress slacks, I can make pretty much any duty size handgun disappear under nothing more than a t shirt.

This is pretty much how I dress daily, whether I'm at home or work. It might be a different pair of pants or an untucked button down shirt. I think it comes down to how you carry yourself more-so than what you wear. If I'm always concerned that it's showing or constantly checking it, I'll probably start to think I need a smaller gun or different clothes. If I just put it on and go about my business, realizing I'm likely the only one that knows it's there, I don't have to compromise on either my handgun or clothing.

I'll typically have a Glock 17 outside the waistband, one or two spare mags and a smaller fixed blade on my belt. I don't carry a phone on my belt, but that will likely be what people assume it is, should I print… even here in South Texas where everyone carries.

I have another pic for you assholes if I can dig it up…

Kokopelli
03-19-12, 10:47
Check out the Sonoran Shirts. Best cover shirts I've ever worn. I wear them year round now... Perfect.. Ron

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=catalog&parent=143&pg=1

svtpwnz
03-19-12, 12:32
You can actually carry a gun in elastic shorts without them falling down?

Whats wrong with just a pair of good cargo shorts? My summer carry is now a pair of Abercrombie cargo shorts, Glock 17, and the RCS VG2.

+1 to that. The climate here is pretty warm most of the year and I wear cargo shorts with a tshirt under a polo while carrying my G29sf. If I need to realy conceal my weapon, I will carry my PM9 which almost dissapears with anything I wear.

Striker
03-19-12, 12:38
+1 to that. The climate here is pretty warm most of the year and I wear cargo shorts with a tshirt under a polo while carrying my G29sf. If I need to realy conceal my weapon, I will carry my PM9 which almost dissapears with anything I wear.

Not exactly sure what you mean. Are you saying that you carry the Glock 29 open carry or that it prints or...?

svtpwnz
03-19-12, 13:34
Not exactly sure what you mean. Are you saying that you carry the Glock 29 open carry or that it prints or...?

I carry the G29 most of the time and I haven't had any issues with it printing while I carry it IWB. However, if I decide to wear just a snug fitting tshirt, I will wear the PM9 IWB and you don't even know it's there. It also helps that I'm 6'1" and 215lbs. I have never cared for elastic waist band shorts anyway so that has never been an issue I have had to deal with. The exception would be swimming trunks, which I obviously don't carry wearing them anyway.

Sensei
03-19-12, 16:52
I just placed an order for the Fusionpac. I will post updates as they develop.

Striker
03-19-12, 17:41
I carry the G29 most of the time and I haven't had any issues with it printing while I carry it IWB. However, if I decide to wear just a snug fitting tshirt, I will wear the PM9 IWB and you don't even know it's there. It also helps that I'm 6'1" and 215lbs. I have never cared for elastic waist band shorts anyway so that has never been an issue I have had to deal with. The exception would be swimming trunks, which I obviously don't carry wearing them anyway.

Thanks. Appreciate the answer. I was just unclear.

OP, to me this is a the best answer in the thread. It's about compromise. If your mode of dress is more important than carrying your gun, than it is. If not, either dress around the Glock or get a Jframe or something similar, cargo shorts and, if it were me, I would at least wear Teva sandals that I could run and maneuver in. Athletic shorts are great; in the gym.

And FWIW, I think you can do everything right and still get caught behind the eight ball; but, you can also minimize your chances and or encounters by being smart about how you go about your life. I could be mistaken, but I think this is what Rob was trying to say.

Palmguy
03-19-12, 17:48
And FWIW, I think you can do everything right and still get caught behind the eight ball; but, you can also minimize your chances and or encounters by being smart about how you go about your life. I could be mistaken, but I think this is what Rob was trying to say.

Also how I read it.

Axcelea
03-19-12, 18:43
Think it has all ready been covered but I would put out wearing a pair of shorts with a belt and pocket carrying or IWB something small with a loose T and it should work just fine. Should be able to do a compact for that matter IWB.

I myself don't have problems with loose pants and shirts and am a pocket whore. Switched to pants all year long a long time ago for the fact I simply didn't like the choices in shorts. Added a second shirt for some style, more pockets, and sleeves if needed and its pretty freaking easy to conceal with.

As a single individual, might of shot myself in the foot in the style department. I like the way I look though :cray:

RagweedZulu
03-19-12, 19:57
To all you True Jeans wearers, I'm not hating on you. I'm glad you guys can pull em off (not literally). If they get you what you need from the ladies, rock 'em!

Now if I tried puttin' a pair of those on MY body, I'd look like Elton John and babies would cry at the sight of me.

The takeaway to this thread is that, as a cop, I'm glad you all carry in hot weather. Don't EVER leave your guns at home cuz they're not comfy. In my experience, punks tend to come out more and get crazier when it's hot. The AC in the projects must not work well.

Keep carryin' those guns, even if you gotta tuck em into your daughter's jeans. :)

Jupiter
03-19-12, 21:04
I've spent a small fortune on top quality holsters over the years.
When the weather gets warm, this is what I found to be the most comfortable and practical.
My Gen4 G26 in a cheap Uncle Mike's Sidekick worn at 1:00.

Yes...... A Glock 19 does carry as easy as a G26 as long as you don't appendix carry, bend over or sit!:D

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/lushl0sn/78237ed6.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/lushl0sn/7f1a46ff.jpg

Shokr21
03-19-12, 21:47
I live in Central Iowa, land of frigid winters and sweltering summers.

I am a cowboy boot wearing, blue jeans type of guy during the cold or when working, and a flip flop and cargo short guy in the summer.

A g19 in a galco kungtuc is just too stupid easy at 330-4 o'clock. Also wear a hideous holster stealth OWB 85% of the time.

It's not too hard to dress around a g19, I thought about a 442, but wanted it more for my old lady than anything else and she didn't like it when we test fired it.

curlyburns5
03-19-12, 23:35

joh, I wear true religions, diesels, William Rast, and seven. I like good jeans too. My problem with them is how lowrise they are. I hate feeling like every one sitting behind me can see my asscrack. The lowrise jeans definitely don't give alot of room for any amount of holster below the belt. I run a G26 in a Raven ACR and once through my trial and error period I have it situated just right for me. I can carry in my usual summer attire of shorts and a loose jcrew tshirt or a liteweight button down shirt without an undershirt and it covers easily. the ACR really pushes the butt of the gun into your abdomen and keeps it very low profile. That's just my two cents on how I carry in the hot/hummd arkansas summers.

shorts and a tshirt no problem
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6040/6999079779_a1af77f20e_b.jpg

closer up of tshirt
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7206/6852961686_70cd64dfcd_b.jpg\

regular button down shirt with my shorts
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6225/6852959150_7ef14f5543_b.jpg

showing where the gun is sitting underneath my shirt
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6114/6852957160_a292810cf0_b.jpg

and sorry about the cruddy bathroom pics and the toothpaste splatter on the mirror:blink:

ST911
03-20-12, 13:44
I've spent a small fortune on top quality holsters over the years. When the weather gets warm, this is what I found to be the most comfortable and practical. My Gen4 G26 in a cheap Uncle Mike's Sidekick worn at 1:00. Yes...... A Glock 19 does carry as easy as a G26 as long as you don't appendix carry, bend over or sit!:D

The holster you're using is better than nothing, but not by much. Expect it to pop stitches, rot with sweat, have the clip break off, the gun to slide out with irregular body movement, and an assortment of other failures. Observed.

There are so many quality kydex and leather IWBs out there that there is no reason to have to use something like this.

munch520
03-20-12, 15:24
showing where the gun is sitting underneath my shirt
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6114/6852957160_a292810cf0_b.jpg

and sorry about the cruddy bathroom pics and the toothpaste splatter on the mirror:blink:

With a fat dip in?! My man!

The holster you're using is better than nothing, but not by much. Expect it to pop stitches, rot with sweat, have the clip break off, the gun to slide out with irregular body movement, and an assortment of other failures. Observed.

There are so many quality kydex and leather IWBs out there that there is no reason to have to use something like this.

Yea the temp really doesn't effect comfort in terms of material, IMO. Leather works for me in any season and definitely conceals/holds up over time a lot better.

DWood
03-20-12, 16:19
I live in Miami and wear cargo pants, a good belt, an overshirt and undershirt and hot weather carry is easy and comfortable.

There are times when I would like to go casual in athletic pants and T shirt but the gun pulls down drawstring/elastic waist pants.

I saw this in American Rifleman and it looks like it might make carry in light athletic clothing (only practical in "hot weather" so on topic) possible. I never heard of it before so have no idea of the quality and no recommendation.

The web site doesn't allow clicking on the holsters but there is a video on the right side of the page.

This isn't something I would use regualary but may work out OK for walking the dog while wearing gym attire.

http://www.pistolwear.com/Home.jsp?refresh=true

ETA: just found a review from the forum:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88332

curlyburns5
03-20-12, 17:43
Yup. Love my mint skoal haha

Jupiter
03-20-12, 18:17

Hey Skintop911

Will it pop those stitches and rot all at once?
Do you think i might be able to spot a problem by examining it every once in a while?
What do you think?
I've really got to watch all those irregular body movements. I don't need to be reckless with a loaded weapon.:rolleyes:

But you know what? It's light and easy to clean. It doesn't cost much so if I do happen to pop all those stitches at once or it rots, I can buy another one for very little cost. Hey...... It's comfortable too!
I can even draw the thing pretty quickly. What a bonus!
I'm sure you mean well. It's just in this particular case, you don't know what you're talking about.:D
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/lushl0sn/73bd944f.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/lushl0sn/515d235d.jpg

Turnkey11
03-20-12, 19:08

Same here, might get one just for wearing with drawstring shorts when running and stuff.

masakari
03-20-12, 21:39
I guess im the wrong guy to ask because i carry a commander 1911 in jeans, shorts, cargos, suits, uniform, etc. And i am armed 100% of the time.

Irish
03-21-12, 00:21
My Gen4 G26 in a cheap Uncle Mike's Sidekick worn at 1:00.

Yes...... A Glock 19 does carry as easy as a G26 as long as you don't appendix carry, bend over or sit!:D
I appendix carry an G19 as easily as my G26. This is possible due to using a quality, purpose built holster (http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Shaggy-AIWB-SHG.htm?productId=12) and not a cheap piece of shit that isn't equipped with features that help tuck the butt of the gun in to your body aiding in comfort and concealment.

This is solid advice and should be heeded by everyone reading it.

Hey Skintop911

Will it pop those stitches and rot all at once?
Do you think i might be able to spot a problem by examining it every once in a while?
What do you think?
I've really got to watch all those irregular body movements. I don't need to be reckless with a loaded weapon.:rolleyes:

But you know what? It's light and easy to clean. It doesn't cost much so if I do happen to pop all those stitches at once or it rots, I can buy another one for very little cost. Hey...... It's comfortable too!
I can even draw the thing pretty quickly. What a bonus!
I'm sure you mean well. It's just in this particular case, you don't know what you're talking about.:D
You should check your sarcasm, it isn't warranted, and you'd be well served by reading more and posting less. Skintop, a well respected member of this community, was trying to offer you some friendly, helpful advice that you'd be foolish to disregard. Ignore his advice at your own peril and the integrity of your femoral artery.

Jupiter
03-21-12, 06:54
I appendix carry an G19 as easily as my G26. This is possible due to using a quality, purpose built holster (http://shop.customcarryconcepts.com/Shaggy-AIWB-SHG.htm?productId=12) and not a cheap piece of shit that isn't equipped with features that help tuck the butt of the gun in to your body aiding in comfort and concealment.

This is solid advice and should be heeded by everyone reading it.

You should check your sarcasm, it isn't warranted, and you'd be well served by reading more and posting less. Skintop, a well respected member of this community, was trying to offer you some friendly, helpful advice that you'd be foolish to disregard. Ignore his advice at your own peril and the integrity of your femoral artery.

If you read my org. post. I said "When the weather gets warm, this is what I found to be the most comfortable and practical." The Key word here is "I"! This means it works for me in hot weather where I am in and out of the House/Truck and need to take the pistol on/off frequently! Something that's not always easy to do with my more expensive holsters. I have quite a few of them. As far as quality built holsters that help tuck the butt of the gun into your body aiding in comfort and concealment, does it occur to you that just because it's comfortable for you doesn't mean it works for everyone in all situations? One size/brand/make/model doesn't fit everyone in every situation. Once again Irish, I did say it works for "ME" in warm weather. The name of the thread is "Warm-weather CCW".

I've shot IPSC and IDPA off and on since the 1980s and managed a master score or two in that time.
So, I do understand what "irregular body movement" and weapon retention means.
As far as my femoral artery goes, you really need to leave that to me. I really DID worry a lot more about that when I was trying to get fast hits on a 18x24 silo with a Wilson Accu-comp LE 1911 with a 2 lb. trigger.

Jupiter
03-21-12, 07:01
Please delete

ST911
03-21-12, 21:42
I'm sure you mean well. It's just in this particular case, you don't know what you're talking about.

Jupiter- My post was brief and abrupt, but I stand by it. I also know the subject matter quite well.

When I was a pup and new to CCWing, I used those exact UM IWB sleeves pretty extensively as I chased the false-economy and good-as tails. They suck. I broke clips. They pilled, broke down, rotted, and stank with sweat. Guns rode up and fell out. The trigger was largely unprotected. Yup, I inspected them regularly and replaced them as needed. $10-15 at a crack, until I figured out that I had paid for quality gear a few times. Learning occurred.

Since, I see others showing up various places with them, and they experience the same things I did. Fortunately, most learn the same lessons eventually.

If they work for you, wunderbar. I wish you well. However, that they serve your purpose doesn't change the reality of what they are.

Jupiter
03-21-12, 22:30
Jupiter- My post was brief and abrupt, but I stand by it. I also know the subject matter quite well.

When I was a pup and new to CCWing, I used those exact UM IWB sleeves pretty extensively as I chased the false-economy and good-as tails. They suck. I broke clips. They pilled, broke down, rotted, and stank with sweat. Guns rode up and fell out. The trigger was largely unprotected. Yup, I inspected them regularly and replaced them as needed. $10-15 at a crack, until I figured out that I had paid for quality gear a few times. Learning occurred.

Since, I see others showing up various places with them, and they experience the same things I did. Fortunately, most learn the same lessons eventually.

If they work for you, wunderbar. I wish you well. However, that they serve your purpose doesn't change the reality of what they are.

Hey there Skintop911!

To be honest , I usually carry in a Royal Guard , Kytac or Ready Tactical.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/lushl0sn/Glocks_2-1.jpg
For the limited roll this holster plays, it does just fine.
I never "chased the false-economy and good-as tails" with this kind of holster.
I never looked at it as a run and gun, hard use piece of equipment. That does invite "FAIL" and I suspect that is one of the reasons you had all the issues.
It is what it is. A simple easy to slip on and off holster the does a good enough job for the limited task.
I really appreciate hearing about your experiences though!;)

packinaglock
03-22-12, 11:20

I learned this lesson early on as well.

curlyburns5
03-25-12, 02:00
back to the op's question. After reading through this thread I think the general consensus is that if you are SERIOUS about carrying then you have to sacrifice some amount of fit on your clothing and just wear what you have to. With edc there will always be sacrifices, in comfort, in "style", in the fit of your clothes. Basically yolu have to decide how important carrying really is to you. For me, I don't mind the trade off of some style and fit with my clothing choice if it keeps me confidently concealed. For me, carrying trumps style and some comfort but the comfort I get from being armed in an increasingly violent and unsafe world makes those menial sacrifices worth it.

Matt O
03-25-12, 11:25
The comments about using a quality, purpose-built holster are spot on, regardless of weather or pistol type.

I have no problems concealing a G17 in a quality kydex holster under a regular t-shirt as long as it has a bit of cant. For slightly tighter shirts, I just switch to a G19 in the same holster.

In terms of appendix carry, with a quality holster, one shouldn't have any difficulty concealing a sub-compact, compact or full-size pistol, assuming appendix carry works with your build in the first place.

JHC
03-25-12, 18:22

Every word 100% true and the last bolded point may be more important than finding the ultimate holster. Sensible shoes!!!!

I'll primarily use one or another FIST model 1K for a G26 or 19 this Summer. Until I get a RCS Vanguard 2.

munch520
03-26-12, 08:14
I'm actually faster barefoot :)

Phillygunguy
03-26-12, 16:15
I tried the smart carry but the material wears after a while and can cause a snag when trying to draw Plus Im REAAAAAALY not comfortable having the muzzle close to my junk. I have a couple desantis IWB which work ok but since use Raven Concealment and the like and dress around the gun I like Im sure everybody else on here probably spent major $$$ on holsters and even though that tacti pac looks good Im done

Sensei
03-26-12, 17:01
I just placed an order for the Fusionpac. I will post updates as they develop.

My PayPal account was charged immediately after completing the online transaction and I received a receipt. However, I've not received any other order updates. The store website has no contact information which is never a good sign. I'm am acutely aware of the PayPal dispute policy of 45 days since I've been following the Secret City fiasco. Thus, I will give them 40 days to ship the order before I file a dispute.