PDA

View Full Version : Which One?

BearJew
03-17-12, 10:39
Ok,

Ive done my research and have narrowed it down to two.

1. A new colt 6920

2. Used BCM upper - w/larue lower.
Comes with lots of extras and would go for ~1200

Both are great but I can decide on which one.

Appreciate the advice, thanks

Failure2Stop
03-17-12, 10:46
I generally opt for new over used when it comes to firearms.

Hitech50
03-17-12, 10:51
I would agree with F2S for the most part but how much of the history do you know about the used rifle? Also what are the accessories in the deal?

Btw "bearjew" great movie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guilty
03-17-12, 10:52
I also prefer new, especially when there isn't much difference in the price. I get to break it in, I get to put the first wear marks on it, I get to choose what furniture it needs if any.

jhs1969
03-17-12, 10:53
New Colt, 100%

shua713
03-17-12, 11:06
unless you know everything about the used gun i would go with a new colt. the colt will be cheaper and you know it is in good condition. Also, what extras are you getting with the used gun?

BearJew
03-17-12, 11:07
Thanks for the help...
The used is only slightly used, I know the owner BUT used is used.
That said, I guess other than it being used the only differnce would be the used one comes with a free floating barrel. It uses the modular free float by DD
In terms of extras: 6 pmags, sling, light mount, case

Also, the colt I found comes with a quad rail. I dont know if the lgs did that or if it came from colt that way but it would be the one I went with.

maddawg5777
03-17-12, 11:23
I always choose new over used with firearms unless you REALLY trust the seller. If this is your first AR type rifle then i would suggest a bare bones 6920 so that way you can learn what you like and not have a bunch of crap you dont want/need. But at the end of the day its your money, do what you wish.

Failure2Stop
03-17-12, 11:35
Ok, we're now into different territory.

Features and furniture do matter.
The exact make and model of all furniture would play a part in the decision.
As would the mags, light mount and sling.

BearJew
03-17-12, 11:50
Sorry I don't have all the stuff in front of me right now so this is from memory...
The BCM upper is a 16" carbine w/the dd rail. The mags are magpul as for sling and mount I can't remember. Given the other stuff I would assume its good as well.

if I buy the colt would anyone change anything on/in it? It's my understanding that they are good to go out of the box

Failure2Stop
03-17-12, 12:22
Sorry I don't have all the stuff in front of me right now so this is from memory...
The BCM upper is a 16" carbine w/the dd rail. The mags are magpul as for sling and mount I can't remember. Given the other stuff I would assume its good as well.

Daniel Defense makes like 5 different models of rails, and different lengths. They feel and perform differently, and are not priced identically. Greater clarification is necessary.
Don't assume that just because other components are good that every component is good, or what you want.

if I buy the colt would anyone change anything on/in it? It's my understanding that they are good to go out of the box
Functionally, they are good to go out of the box.
Personally, I hate the A2 bump in the grip, so I remove the bump or replace the grip.
I also put in a MagPul trigger guard or gapper as the gap also sucks after a while.
Most other things are user preference and need based.

BearJew
03-17-12, 12:32
Going off of memory and I looked at DD's website. I believe its the modular float 12.0.

Failure2Stop
03-17-12, 12:42
If it's this guy:
https://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/modular-float-rail-12-0.html
I'd be inclined to go that way, but I would have to be happy with the rest of the gun.
How much are they asking fo?

BearJew
03-17-12, 12:50
He's asking 1200.
Yes that looks like the one he has
The colt is roughly the same except it's not free floating. I know the benefits of free floating but is it worth it for a carbine? Either way I plan on having a 2nd upper that will be free floating and most likely a mid. I like the laure lower but the colt is a good base as well.

1911-A1
03-17-12, 13:04
Why not go with a NEW BCM upper and configure it exactly like you want. You'll probably save a few bucks, too.

fixit69
03-17-12, 13:17
You answered your own question(in know because I do it a lot) when you said"used is used". Both are good rifles and extras do count, but you never get the whole story when it's used. I would have more piece of mind.

DeltaSierra
03-17-12, 13:18
Like F2S already said, I prefer new over used.

Personally, I would get the Colt, and configure it exactly as you want it.

Failure2Stop
03-17-12, 13:22
He's asking 1200.
Yes that looks like the one he has
The colt is roughly the same except it's not free floating. I know the benefits of free floating but is it worth it for a carbine? Either way I plan on having a 2nd upper that will be free floating and most likely a mid. I like the laure lower but the colt is a good base as well.

You should be able to get a 6920 for around $1,000 so the rail that is included with it becomes a factor.

Sensei
03-17-12, 15:58
I'd stick with the new Colt. I bet that Grant could sell you a 6920 package with a rail that is very competitive.

BearJew
03-17-12, 17:43
Would that be Grant with G and R?

wetidlerjr
03-17-12, 17:48
Would that be Grant with G and R?

Yes

G&R Tactical (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home)

BearJew
03-17-12, 18:19
For the sake of this discussion, does anyone have any experience with larue lowers? The one one on the rifle is very nice...

og556
03-17-12, 18:42
BearJew,

If both are carbine length gas systems I would take a factory complete Colt rifle hands down and then eventually add a rail like an FSPM DD rail.

BTW I loved Inglorious Bastards.

TedG
03-17-12, 18:49
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/ColtLogo1-1.jpg

BearJew
03-17-12, 22:10
I appreciate all of the feedback. I think I'm going to get the colt. Just out of curiosity, is Colt that much better than BCM? Don't get me wrong, I love colts, I have a couple of 1911's. Is the toss up being that the other was used?

Again, I appreciate the feedback. Its been difficult trying to sort through what I want and need...

And yes for the others, it is a great movie...

DeltaSierra
03-17-12, 22:19
...is Colt that much better than BCM?

Personally, I don't think that you could go wrong with a BCM (I use their products, and will purchase more items from them without hesitation) but from what options you mentioned, the factory new Colt would be the better choice, simply because it is a known factor. If you had listed a factory new BCM, I would suggest that you should flip a coin....

wingspar
03-17-12, 22:44
I appreciate all of the feedback. I think I'm going to get the colt. Just out of curiosity, is Colt that much better than BCM? Don't get me wrong, I love colts, I have a couple of 1911's. Is the toss up being that the other was used?

Again, I appreciate the feedback. Its been difficult trying to sort through what I want and need...

I just bought a 6920. I was considering BCM. The 6920 is lighter in weight than I thought it would be. Bonus. It’s the new vs used thing. You should be able to pick up a new 6920 for less money than the used BCM. That would sway me to the new 6920. If I’m spending that much money, it might as well be new. You can choose the accessories and mods you want as you have the money for them. I think you’ve made a good choice, but I doubt you would be disappointed with either.

og556
03-18-12, 02:57
If you were seeking a mid length gas system rifle I would steer you towards a BCM or Noveske.

Given the two options you have presented I would say the Colt is the best pick. You have a complate factory rifle which has been built to stringent specifications. The Colt offers a level of quality assurance that cannot be had by piecing together a rifle.

The Colt leaves very little in terms of variables to worry about.

BearJew
03-18-12, 08:19
Again, thanks for the help...

Called around and one of the LGS has the LE 6920 w/quad rail for 1250. Is this a fair price? It seems to be but before I make the plunge I thought I'd check here.

justin_247
03-18-12, 11:47
Again, thanks for the help...

Called around and one of the LGS has the LE 6920 w/quad rail for 1250. Is this a fair price? It seems to be but before I make the plunge I thought I'd check here.

No. You can get a 6920 from Grant or DSG Arms for about $995. Add a Troy quad rail to it, and it comes to about $1120.

wingspar
03-18-12, 13:00
I paid $995 for my 6920 from DSG Arms. However, they are out of stock as is G&R Tactical. They are hard to find. The demand for them is very high right now. You can have DSG Arms notify you when they are back in stock and keep an eye on Grant’s posts in the forum, and he will probably announce when he has them back in stock. Those are the two cheapest places I was able to find in my search. I got lucky, and found out the day they became available at DSG Arms, and jumped on it. They sold out in about 3 or 4 days.

tbirk
03-18-12, 13:05
I'd go Colt also. My oldest is a 1974 AR-15, my newest a 6940. Both shoot exceptionally well.