PDA

View Full Version : Clean your GLOCK!

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 12:01
Last week, a customer brought in his GEN 4 G19 because of reliability issues. The big one was the fact that the brass was hitting him in the face.

Always liking a challenge, I said I would help. The first thing I did was field strip the gun. As I did this, I noticed HUGE chunks of brass shavings everywhere. The gun probably had less than 500-700rds through it. The majority of the ammo shot was Winchester Value Pak.

Pics of what I pulled out of this gun:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/Glock/Brass_SB.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/Glock/Q-Tips.jpg

While everything was apart, I saw that there were a lot of jagged edges on the plunger and striker. So I took a hard stone and cleaned them all up and rounded and polished the plunger.

Hard lines on the striker side where it is rubbing on the channel slot.
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/Glock/Burred_Striker.jpg

Polishing striker
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/Glock/Polishing_Striker.jpg

Done!
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/Glock/Polished_Striker.jpg

Burred plunger
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/Glock/Jagged_SB.jpg

Cleaned up and polished!
http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/Glock/Rounded_SB.jpg

Put the gun back together and shot several hundred rounds through the gun. No more brass in the face! Amazing what cleaning large chunks of brass out of the gun will do.

Break Break

Next problem Glock. Buddy of mine brought in his GEN 2 G19 because of brass hitting him in the face. Like above, field stripped it and got it ready to go in the ultra sonic and what did I found? Tons of crud in EVERYTHING. It was so much that I just had to take a pic!

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/GEN2_Extractor.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/GEN2_SB.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Repair/GEN2_Slide.jpg

Cleaned everything up and shot it. No more brass to the face!

As we know (or should know), the extractor on the Glock is just BARELY making contact with the rim (as is) so anything that changes how much tension or contact there is (like brass shavings or dirt) has a big impact on it. So if your Glock is throwing brass in your face (no matter if it is a GEN1 or GEN4) make sure to pull everything out of it and clean it well.

C4

chuckman
03-17-12, 12:04
Holy.....

I know Glocks are built to take hard use, but damn, man, clean the gun. Those last three pics impress the hell out of me.

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 12:08
Holy.....

I know Glocks are built to take hard use, but damn, man, clean the gun. Those last three pics impress the hell out of me.

What is interesting is that on the GEN 2 G19, I was doing my normal function test of the gun (before taking it apart) and when I dry fired it, the striker felt like it was NOT coming forward hard enough (like half power).

This was my clue that something wasn't right and that the plunger was not being depressed all the way. Sure enough, I was right (as it was so full of crap).

C4

Heavy Metal
03-17-12, 12:11
Grant, I have an ritual over Christmas where I strip and clean my slide on my heavy-use Glock. I made an annual ritual of it. I also hot soapy water and toothbrush the frame.

What did you do to round and polish the FP safety?

Mike from Texas
03-17-12, 12:12
I'm impressed that the second gun was still running in the condition it was in. Shows testament to the ability of the weapon to run under less than ideal conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 12:20
What did you do to round and polish the FP safety?

You can do it a number of ways. I use a fixed belt sander with a 3M Scotchbrite belt (medium) and put the FP on a punch and let it spin as I roll it (rounding the edge). Then I use a bench grinder with a big felt wheel on it and polish it up.

C4

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 12:21
I'm impressed that the second gun was still running in the condition it was in. Shows testament to the ability of the weapon to run under less than ideal conditions.

What is even more amazing about the second gun is that the locking tab was put in backwards and the gun STILL worked.

C4

dookie1481
03-17-12, 12:34
I mean jeez, I don't clean my pistol that often, but people should know to clean the crap out of the striker channel, at the very least.

Heavy Metal
03-17-12, 12:35
Why was the one gun with th elow round count full of brass? Was the extractor shaving it?

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 13:12
Why was the one gun with th elow round count full of brass? Was the extractor shaving it?

I think so (coupled with soft brass).

C4

loupav
03-17-12, 13:18
This really makes me want to take an armorer's course. But for HK since that's what I usually shoot for pistol.

But very impressive none the less. Thank you for sharing.

Texas42
03-17-12, 13:21
Wow.

:confused:

Heavy Metal
03-17-12, 13:28
Make sure that tiny spring that goes in the FP Safety 'clicls' in to the bottom of the hole when you put the slide back together. ASK ME HOW I KNOW THIS!!

og556
03-17-12, 13:38
It is amazing how filthy that is. Is it possible he used too much lube though ? The amount of crap that accumulated inside there is amazing.

I don't tend to run my glocks wet and I have never seen one get that bad with that few of rounds through it.

JHC
03-17-12, 13:41
Last year I ran across a 100 round valupak of WWB 115 gr FMJ that just flaked brass shavings all over a Glock and a Beretta 92 I fired some through. Like a blizzard of brass snowflakes everywhere.
I've never seen anything like it. Obviously something was up with the brass casings. I thought your pictures suggested maybe that shooter ran into a similiar lot.

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 13:47
It is amazing how filthy that is. Is it possible he used too much lube though ? The amount of crap that accumulated inside there is amazing.

I don't tend to run my glocks wet and I have never seen one get that bad with that few of rounds through it.

I don't think so as both guns were bone dry when I got to inspect them.

It is fine to lube the rails and barrel on your Glock, but I think I would stay away from putting any lube in/on the FP, extractor, striker, etc.

C4

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 13:48
Last year I ran across a 100 round valupak of WWB 115 gr FMJ that just flaked brass shavings all over a Glock and a Beretta 92 I fired some through. Like a blizzard of brass snowflakes everywhere.
I've never seen anything like it. Obviously something was up with the brass casings. I thought your pictures suggested maybe that shooter ran into a similiar lot.

Yes.

C4

halmbarte
03-17-12, 13:52
WWB is filthy crap and I avoid it if anything else is available.

As to over-lubing, I suspect a wet filthy gun runs better than a dry filthy gun.

But what do I know? Sig's like to run wet and that how I run mine.

H

RagweedZulu
03-17-12, 13:53
Grant, you got some dirty ears bro.

jrmymiles
03-17-12, 16:33
Maybe that explains why some guys are not having issues until higher round counts

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 16:39
Maybe that explains why some guys are not having issues until higher round counts

It could be, but I find it hard to believe that people are not cleaning these areas (especially when Glocks are so easy to take apart).

C4

Kilo 1-1
03-17-12, 17:01
Great pics, thanks for sharing Grant.

While I understand a reliable combat handgun can 'tolerate' minimum maintenance....I think anyone who carries a handgunfor a living or for life/death scenarios would at least do some preventive maintenance once in a while.

And as Grant nailed it earlier; with a design as basic and simple as Glocks....I don't see a reason why anyone wouldn't.

If it's for a range toy, I understand why one may slack in this part. But for anything mechanical, I always spend the extra 1-2 minutes occasionally to make sure everything is in working order before heading out if it's a serious use weapon.

Heavy Metal
03-17-12, 18:06
It could be, but I find it hard to believe that people are not cleaning these areas (especially when Glocks are so easy to take apart).

C4

Grant, I doubt most users strip the slide as the procedure is not described in the manual..

C4IGrant
03-17-12, 18:20
Grant, I doubt most users strip the slide as the procedure is not described in the manual..

Understand, but at some point people need to venture outside of the manual.

C4

Heavy Metal
03-17-12, 18:43
I agree but remember, here on M-4, you are dealing with the one precenters of the gun community for the most part. I am sure the reason Glock does not recommend user service of the slide is the potential for lost parts like the FP Safety Spring or the potential for the extratctor plunger being put in backwards or the FP Safety Spring going in sideways.

If someone is going to attempt to strip the slide, they do need some good documentation or some minimal instruction as the potential to render the weapon in a less than 100% condition exists.

SpookyPistolero
03-17-12, 20:35
I've done detail cleans or small repairs on maybe a couple dozen folks' glocks. Not that that's a ton by any stretch, but I've never seen remotely close to that level of gunk and grime. Very impressive. (Especially the brass shards)

!Nvasi0n
03-17-12, 21:19
I detail strip and clean my Glock after Every range session. I carry daily for 6-16 hours...I clean according to With Q-tips and Alcohol on all parts but the barrel. I normally don't advocate Rem-oil...but one drop on the barrel and worked all over. And a drop on each rail. And in between the sliding trigger mechanisms...and I do mean a tiny drop. I almost run dry. And will shoot ~250 rounds every range session. And the damnedest thing is, my barrel and slide, and rails look brand ****ing new! The Tennifer coating is still 100%...The only worn looking part is the extractor. I shoot dirty ass WWB and CCI blazer aluminum, Federal American eagle, and independence.

It's a Gen 3 23. It's got ~3000 rounds on it and I attribute it's retained newness to the fact it's always ran so dry, and allowed to let the Tennifer to do it's job...and not use oil to gather metallic gunk and grind the ****ing finish off.

It's just my $.02 but Glocks do not need to run wet like an AR bolt

Wolvee
03-17-12, 21:24
I clean my guns every 8k rounds whether they need it or not.

usmcvet
03-17-12, 22:05
Grant! Thanks for cleaning my Glock but I didn't know you were gonna post photos!

I carry a G27 in my front pocket. Even w/o shooting cleaning is important. Pocket lint can be really nasty.

PlatoCATM
03-17-12, 22:22
It's a Gen 3 23. It's got ~3000 rounds on it and I attribute it's retained newness to the fact it's always ran so dry, and allowed to let the Tennifer to do it's job...and not use oil to gather metallic gunk and grind the ****ing finish off.

It's just my $.02 but Glocks do not need to run wet like an AR bolt

That's ridiculous. You'd probably advocate not oiling your gun in the desert, too.

usmcvet
03-17-12, 22:27
Not sure of my exact round counts but my gums are lubed. A drop or two on my bbls and rubbed all over it.. there isn't much finish left on large parts of my bbls but I don't care about that. Never have rust issues with it. And it is reliable. Kinda ugly but that's OK.

mdoan300
03-17-12, 22:32
Personally, I lube areas where there is metal on metal contact (no lube if it's plastic on plastic or plastic on metal) with a decent amount of oil - visible, but not dripping.

AR is the only weapon I have that gets it dripping.

skyugo
03-18-12, 02:26

C4

10 minutes is all it takes. I clean after every range trip. If that thing is going to be digging into my hip all the time i better be sure it's going to work.

C4IGrant
03-18-12, 06:24

Grant! Thanks for cleaning my Glock but I didn't know you were gonna post photos!

I carry a G27 in my front pocket. Even w/o shooting cleaning is important. Pocket lint can be really nasty.

LOL, unless you have moved to OH, these aren't your guns.

C4

Heavy Metal
03-18-12, 11:46
If you shoot a lot of Russian ammo with the nasty red primer sealant (as I do) in your Glocks, this is where stripping the slide periodocally becomes a good thing to do. The sealant WILL build up under the extractor and around the front of the firing pin channel.

ra2bach
03-18-12, 11:53
damn. I clean my SIG every 5000 rounds whether it needs it or not and it's never had the problems these Glocks are having...

:p

C4IGrant
03-18-12, 12:20
damn. I clean my SIG every 5000 rounds whether it needs it or not and it's never had the problems these Glocks are having...

:p

Ya know, Glock has all these little channel, holes and indents setup to move debri, but I have to wonder if this doesn't just add to the problem.

If these channels weren't there (like on lots of other pistols), I have to wonder if they wouldn't be even more reliable.

C4

Str8Jacket722
03-18-12, 13:14

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry Bro, but it's not like these Glocks just came out of the sandbox after a year in derka-stan. This is just complacency or ineptitude on the part of the owner. There is NO excuse to not maintain a tool that you would have to bet your life on when the chips are down.

duece71
03-18-12, 13:54
This is excellent, I'll be bringing my 2 Glocks up to your shop...NEXT WEEK!! Are you going to be open? There is a good detailed strip proceedure in Ptooma Productions "Complete Glock Reference Guide", a must have if yer into detailed strip or changing out triggers/springs etc....
Seriously Grant, is your shop open to the public or do I need to make an appointment? Are there things from the website available in your shop? I want to come up from Columbus next week and I have time available to do it.
Thanks.

C4IGrant
03-18-12, 14:59
This is excellent, I'll be bringing my 2 Glocks up to your shop...NEXT WEEK!! Are you going to be open? There is a good detailed strip proceedure in Ptooma Productions "Complete Glock Reference Guide", a must have if yer into detailed strip or changing out triggers/springs etc....
Seriously Grant, is your shop open to the public or do I need to make an appointment? Are there things from the website available in your shop? I want to come up from Columbus next week and I have time available to do it.
Thanks.

We are appointment only so send us an e-mail with when you want to come in.

Everything on the website is in the store and there are also tons of things in the store that are NOT on the website.

C4

one
03-18-12, 18:28
I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can normally hit the range five days a week and do so. While I don't clean daily I've never allowed any build up like that.

At any rate it's good to see this thread in contrast to the threads or posts regarding people that clean their guns every umpteen thousand rounds.

C4IGrant
03-19-12, 08:19
I'm fortunate enough to be in a position where I can normally hit the range five days a week and do so. While I don't clean daily I've never allowed any build up like that.

At any rate it's good to see this thread in contrast to the threads or posts regarding people that clean their guns every umpteen thousand rounds.

Agree.

C4

eo500
03-19-12, 12:39
Grant, great post. What exactly does rounding the plunger do? Is it something you recommend for all Glocks? I've polished parts on some of my Glocks, but this is the first time I've seen the plunger get rounded.

duece71
03-19-12, 13:08
We are appointment only so send us an e-mail with when you want to come in.

Everything on the website is in the store and there are also tons of things in the store that are NOT on the website.

C4

Hmmm, you mean you might have a Colt or BCM or DD rifle hidden somewhere in your shop? :D Sounds good, I'll drop an email when I want to come up. Thanks again.

Palmguy
03-19-12, 13:22
Grant, great post. What exactly does rounding the plunger do? Is it something you recommend for all Glocks? I've polished parts on some of my Glocks, but this is the first time I've seen the plunger get rounded.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the operation of the Glock but if you look at the mechanics of the trigger pull, the lug protruding up from the trigger bar contacts the plunger and pushes it up when the trigger is pulled. By rounding the plunger (from the factory it has more of a large chamfer) and polishing the part it makes the trigger pull smoother.

I never really minded the factory Glock plunger; makes a huge difference on the M&P in my opinion though.

JackFanToM
03-19-12, 13:30
I purchased my m&p 9mm used (I planned to replace quite a few parts, so I went used instead of new...couldn't see paying new price only to replace most of the items). The gun looked very clean when I received it, but when I stripped it I found the striker assembly was coated in black gunk and brass chips much like what Grant posted pics of. It took over a dozen q-tips to get the striker assembly area clean. The rest of the gun was clean, even the plunger, guess the previous owner forgot about the striker or was unfamiliar with how to remove it.

eo500
03-19-12, 14:06
Palmguy, thanks I figured it was something like that. I appreciate the quick response.

Street Dog
03-19-12, 14:17
This is an example of extreme neglect, more than a maintainance issue. This Glock 27 was brought to me by one of our retired guys. The gun was rusted shut, with a live round in the chamber!
http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/3933/imag0254e.jpg
By streetdog262 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/streetdog262) at 2012-03-19

After getting the pistol cleared and field stripped, I sent it to Glock at the owners request for repair. Glock advised it was beyond repair.

He said he is not sure what happened. I think the cloth case he had it stored in got wet, most likely more than once.

ozy
03-19-12, 14:31
good post ,grant! just confirms the obvious.
i make it a habbit to clean my pistols after j every range run. maybe this is the main reason that my gen 4s run flawlessly.
that and lubrication.

Moltke
03-19-12, 14:48
My new year's resolution was not to clean my glocks and just see how they do in 2012. Oh well, after seeing this thread now I have to detail strip and clean them all out of disgust. /sigh

C4IGrant
03-19-12, 15:45

Palmguy covered it. It isn't that big of a deal on a Glock, but I am of the opinion that every bit of friction removed improves the "feel" of the trigger pull.

As mentioned, on an M&P, rounding the striker block will remove almost half a pound of trigger pull weight!

C4

C4IGrant
03-19-12, 15:47
My new year's resolution was not to clean my glocks and just see how they do in 2012. Oh well, after seeing this thread now I have to detail strip and clean them all out of disgust. /sigh

To be honest, I am not sure who started this stupidity about not cleaning guns and such, but it is a horrible idea (especially if you are going to bet your life on it).

C4

Moltke
03-19-12, 16:16
To be honest, I am not sure who started this stupidity about not cleaning guns and such, but it is a horrible idea (especially if you are going to bet your life on it).

C4

It was my own personal T&E to satisfy my own curiosity and the pistol I carry is well maintained. I guess it's only okay for an internet sensation to do that kind of thing...

C4IGrant
03-19-12, 16:23
It was my own personal T&E to satisfy my own curiosity and the pistol I carry is well maintained. I guess it's only okay for an internet sensation to do that kind of thing...

No, not even then.

C4

chewie
03-19-12, 21:58
When our guys arrive at the range they are required to come in with a clean weapon. They have to break it down and put it back together. Before they leave the range their guns are cleaned and inspected...only then can they leave. We try to do everything we can to encourage them to carry a properly functioning weapon in the event they need to defend themselves or someone else.

Anything less and the outcome can be less than certain.

C4IGrant
03-20-12, 08:28
Hmmm, you mean you might have a Colt or BCM or DD rifle hidden somewhere in your shop? :D Sounds good, I'll drop an email when I want to come up. Thanks again.

Usually.

C4

Trajan
03-20-12, 08:58
Good thread Grant. Made me change my mindset that I should just lube my Glock occasionally, clean off the contact surfaces, and eliminate lint and dust.

I'm going to have to have you round my firing pin safety sometime. :cool:

That's some really good work.

OldGreg
03-20-12, 10:30
Thanks for the thread Grant.

In regards to rounding a firing pin block (not to take away from the way Grant does it).. I rounded my FPB's doing it the way M4Guru mentioned in his Glock trigger article, by chucking up the FPB in a drill, mashing the drill trigger while working it on a sharpening stone, then polished it to a mirror finish on some fingernail file buffers.

C4IGrant
03-20-12, 11:15
Thanks for the thread Grant.

In regards to rounding a firing pin block (not to take away from the way Grant does it).. I rounded my FPB's doing it the way M4Guru mentioned in his Glock trigger article, by chucking up the FPB in a drill, mashing the drill trigger while working it on a sharpening stone, then polished it to a mirror finish on some fingernail file buffers.

Yep, the drill bit method works as well.

Just be sure NOT to remove any length off the plunger!

C4

OldGreg
03-20-12, 11:44
Just be sure NOT to remove any length off the plunger!

C4

Yes, great advise, i should have mentioned that. I leave the top alone.. i just round the side angles off. I do buff out the tops to shine.

Shining = good, removing metal = BAD!

Vash1023
03-20-12, 14:04

C4

i think your should make your own
(how to disassemble and clean you "xxxx" handgun properely)
videos on your youtube page grant....

i bet alot of members on here would support the idea :)

brzusa.1911
03-20-12, 14:12

C4

Lots of "experts" here and other forums support the idea that cleaning your guns is a bad idea - i.e. bad for accuracy, their instructors recommend not to do it ....

I am totally in favor of cleaning it after every range trip, it is also a great way to inspect and make sure all parts are in working order.

StrikerFired
03-20-12, 15:08
Just made some time in the day to break down my carry guns more often and keep them clean.....

Yikes....

C4IGrant
03-20-12, 16:09
i think your should make your own
(how to disassemble and clean you "xxxx" handgun properely)
videos on your youtube page grant....

i bet alot of members on here would support the idea :)

I hate youtube. So pass on doing that.

C4

C4IGrant
03-20-12, 16:14
Lots of "experts" here and other forums support the idea that cleaning your guns is a bad idea - i.e. bad for accuracy, their instructors recommend not to do it ....

I am totally in favor of cleaning it after every range trip, it is also a great way to inspect and make sure all parts are in working order.

Well the "experts" that I listen to (Vickers, Hackathorn) advise me that not cleaning and lubricating your firearm is stupid. So I think I will keep on listening to them.

Remember that not all "experts" are of the same quality. ;)

Now with that said, YES you can do damage to your gun by over cleaning it (especially the barrel). So while I do not think you need to clean and lube it every time you shoot 100rds, there is nothing wrong with cleaning, lubricating it and function checking it after say 500rds.

If I had a dollar everytime someone went out and shot a bunch of rounds and then found a major problem AFTER shooting, I would be a rich man.

I personally am a fan of ultra sonic cleaners as they really do not do any harm to anything. If you do not have one of these, try using nylon brushes in the barrel (vs bronze or steel) or just soaking the barrel for several days in a solvent.

C4

kaptain86
03-20-12, 17:49
Wow...I better check my newly acquired G26...those are some gummed up glocks on the first post.

JSantoro
03-21-12, 09:10
Lots of "experts" here and other forums support the idea that cleaning your guns is a bad idea - i.e. bad for accuracy, their instructors recommend not to do it .....

Nope, that's not at all what the consensus has been.

The message has always been that firearms cleaning does not require the near-religous adherence specified by the military and other institutions, who have taken it to the point that they are damaging guns with over-cleaning and improper cleaning methods (i.e., scraping muzzle crowns with cleaning rods, and similar....).

As most often happens, the always-clean/never-clean purists are incapable of putting that sort of sensible middle ground into terms that DON'T manage to make it read like the polar opposite of their own stance. To them, the question MUST be polarized.

If one bothers to remember the clearly negative connotations of the word torture, and still manages to take "don't clean your guns" away from keeping track of any firearms torture-test that's correctly conducted and billed as such....well, that cat's pretty clearly a moron.

So, yeah, lots of lazy idiots positively wallow in NOT cleaning their guns...that's certainly factual...but the message has never been "don't clean."

M4arc
03-21-12, 10:52
Whoa!

After seeing this thread I decided to detail strip my Gen4 G22 for the first time. Generally I will get 500-600 rounds through a Glock then detail strip it and then do it every 5000 along with replacing the springs.

My Gen4 G22 now has 725 rounds through it; mostly Magtech, Federal and WWB. It also has 25 rounds of Winchester SXT 180gr through it for a function check.

I'm happy to report the internals of my G22 looked nothing like those pictures. In fact I was expecting a nightmare but was pleasantly surprised at how non-filthy it was. I also didn't see rough edges around the FPS or rubbing marks on the FP either.

I feel much better now :D

C4IGrant
03-21-12, 12:32
Whoa!

After seeing this thread I decided to detail strip my Gen4 G22 for the first time. Generally I will get 500-600 rounds through a Glock then detail strip it and then do it every 5000 along with replacing the springs.

My Gen4 G22 now has 725 rounds through it; mostly Magtech, Federal and WWB. It also has 25 rounds of Winchester SXT 180gr through it for a function check.

I'm happy to report the internals of my G22 looked nothing like those pictures. In fact I was expecting a nightmare but was pleasantly surprised at how non-filthy it was. I also didn't see rough edges around the FPS or rubbing marks on the FP either.

I feel much better now :D

Cool and this is what we were after with this thread. For people to be proactive about taking care of their weapon.

C4

DocGKR
03-21-12, 12:46
I keep my training weapons lubed, but only clean them about every 3000-5000 rounds. FWIW, my Glocks have NEVER looked like those pictures above, even after 5000 rounds.

Carry/duty weapons are kept appropriately lubed and clean.

motoduck
03-21-12, 14:05
I did an experiment a couple of years ago in which I did not clean one of my Glocks for over a year (G34). I wanted to see how many rounds it would go before it failed. I went for 8500+ rounds, no failures (proper lubrication regularly). I gave up trying to break it and cleaned the gun. It looked nothing like the examples you showed? I am voting for improper lubrication and the wrong lubricant.

Heidevolk
03-21-12, 15:21
Have a Glock 23 with a bit over 10k rounds. When I detail stripped it for the first time there were some brass scrapings lodged in the extractor channel and the firing pin block/safety was also quite dirty with a couple brass scrapings, however it still did not look nearly as bad as your second example.

brzusa.1911
03-21-12, 17:21
I agree improper cleaning and excessive cleaning having a negative effect. I do clean after every trip to the range - even if I just cycle my carry ammo. I don't think field stripping and wiping the dirt off with a rag and running a boresnake through the barrel is considered over cleaning. It gives me the chance to visually inspect the extractor, ejector, wipe off dirt from the feed ramp, rails, bolt carrier (if a rifle), ... and lub it well again. I will fully disassemble the gun at around 2000-3000 rounds for a detail clean.

That is what works for me.

Nope, that's not at all what the consensus has been.

The message has always been that firearms cleaning does not require the near-religous adherence specified by the military and other institutions, who have taken it to the point that they are damaging guns with over-cleaning and improper cleaning methods (i.e., scraping muzzle crowns with cleaning rods, and similar....).

As most often happens, the always-clean/never-clean purists are incapable of putting that sort of sensible middle ground into terms that DON'T manage to make it read like the polar opposite of their own stance. To them, the question MUST be polarized.

If one bothers to remember the clearly negative connotations of the word torture, and still manages to take "don't clean your guns" away from keeping track of any firearms torture-test that's correctly conducted and billed as such....well, that cat's pretty clearly a moron.

So, yeah, lots of lazy idiots positively wallow in NOT cleaning their guns...that's certainly factual...but the message has never been "don't clean."

chewie
03-21-12, 21:49
Well the "experts" that I listen to (Vickers, Hackathorn) advise me that not cleaning and lubricating your firearm is stupid. So I think I will keep on listening to them.

Remember that not all "experts" are of the same quality. ;)

Now with that said, YES you can do damage to your gun by over cleaning it (especially the barrel). So while I do not think you need to clean and lube it every time you shoot 100rds, there is nothing wrong with cleaning, lubricating it and function checking it after say 500rds.

If I had a dollar everytime someone went out and shot a bunch of rounds and then found a major problem AFTER shooting, I would be a rich man.

I personally am a fan of ultra sonic cleaners as they really do not do any harm to anything. If you do not have one of these, try using nylon brushes in the barrel (vs bronze or steel) or just soaking the barrel for several days in a solvent.

C4
i usually use a jag and just press cleaning pads through the barrel until the pads come out clean. good? bad? thoughts?

Country DeVil
03-21-12, 22:46
probably seen before but I thought it was relevant, and helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/v/E1m6Qct68wo&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded

C4IGrant
03-22-12, 09:49
i usually use a jag and just press cleaning pads through the barrel until the pads come out clean. good? bad? thoughts?

I think that is fine. Again, soaking the barrel in solvent goes a long way as well.

C4

turdbocharged
03-22-12, 11:39
Grant, I am intrigued by the parts cleaners. Being unfamiliar with these, are the chemicals caustic, toxic, or otherwise more harmful than say Hoppes #9 which I use(and hate the smell). Also whats a good system to start out with I googled and found many different options.

Thanks

C4IGrant
03-22-12, 11:46
Grant, I am intrigued by the parts cleaners. Being unfamiliar with these, are the chemicals caustic, toxic, or otherwise more harmful than say Hoppes #9 which I use(and hate the smell). Also whats a good system to start out with I googled and found many different options.

Thanks

I use Crest. Here is the link to what they offer: http://www.guncleaners.com/

The detergent is cut my water (by a lot) and is really very mild (think DAWN). The oil is a very fine type that just keeps the weapon from rusting.

C4

glocktogo
03-22-12, 12:07
Went for my semi-annual range quals today with the issued G-21C. The deputy 2 lanes down had his 21C choke repeatedly. Rangemaster said it was dirty. More to the point, it was dirty AND bone dry. Mine purred like a kitten. Funny how that happens! :D

chewie
03-23-12, 22:18
I think that is fine. Again, soaking the barrel in solvent goes a long way as well.

C4

i'll give it a try...thanks!

jamaicanj
03-24-12, 07:21
Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing

SuperDuty
03-24-12, 07:58
Newbie to Glocks here... Where can I learn how to disassemble more than just a field strip, to clean? Thanks.

Matt O
03-24-12, 08:31
Newbie to Glocks here... Where can I learn how to disassemble more than just a field strip, to clean? Thanks.

Check out youtube or just google it. There are quite a few guides out there on how to detail strip the slide and/or frame.

usmcvet
03-24-12, 08:49
Take a Glock admirers course.

og556
03-24-12, 12:57
Glocks are the easiest pistols to completely disassemble. I have never had a pistol this easy to work on.

To those of you who took the Armorers course through Glock but already knew how to completely disassemble these pistols would you say the course was worth it ?

Did you go in depth about figuring out how to diagnose symptoms and modifying parts to fix issues and tolerances ?

usmcvet
03-24-12, 13:36
It depends. I have been to the Glock, Sig and Sully's AR armorers courses. If it's your gun then the decesion is a little easier. Make sure you have a spare because little parts get lost and they take time to replace. Ask me how I know :D. Now I have some spare parts on hand.

If it is an issued gun another thing all together take the course. I am I love training so I've always gone to it when possible, often on my own dime. If you are truly good with your hands it is doable (w/o training) especially with everything avaliable online to help. Like many things if you already know what's going on you can often learn and ask more at training so you might get more out of the class than someone brand new at it.

C4IGrant
05-27-12, 08:02
Saw a GEN 2 Glock kicking brass to the face of a shooter yesterday. Asked them if they had ever cleaned the the FPS and extractor. Nope!

Had to pry the parts out of the gun (as they were stuck in the slide). Did a quick clean and stuck them back in the gun. No more issues.

CLEAN YOUR GUN PEOPLE! :mad:

C4

charmcitycop
05-27-12, 18:20

gunrunner505
05-27-12, 21:14
Two words folks, gun hygene.....

Holy smokes those were dirty/neglected.

Vlobb
05-27-12, 22:30
Saw a GEN 2 Glock kicking brass to the face of a shooter yesterday. Asked them if they had ever cleaned the the FPS and extractor. Nope!

Had to pry the parts out of the gun (as they were stuck in the slide). Did a quick clean and stuck them back in the gun. No more issues.

CLEAN YOUR GUN PEOPLE! :mad:

C4

AGAIN!?! Where do you find these people? j/k

Some just don't give a shit. Strange....

Turnkey11
05-27-12, 22:46
For what reason? I am on the swat team in a large metro PD. Most of us shoot at least 2-3 thousand rounds through our issues G22s a month & I cannot imagine having the time, let alone the inclination to do a detail strip & clean every range session.

I wish we could get that type of firing schedule, we're lucky to get a range every month.

C4IGrant
05-28-12, 07:35
AGAIN!?! Where do you find these people? j/k

Some just don't give a shit. Strange....

On the range. This latest GEN 2 belonged to a Cop.

C4

Larry Vickers
05-28-12, 08:10
Back in the day when I was an operational member of Delta Force for 15 years I would never dream of shooting 2-3000 rds in a month and never clean my weapon -regardless of what I was shooting

But hey I was never in a big city SWAT team so I probably should just shut the **** up right?

LAV

Vlobb
05-28-12, 09:58
On the range. This latest GEN 2 belonged to a Cop.

C4

WOW!!! In my minds eye I envisioned some pecker wood, hobbyist shooter. Not a Cop. :bad:

!Nvasi0n
05-28-12, 09:59
For what reason? I am on the swat team in a large metro PD. Most of us shoot at least 2-3 thousand rounds through our issues G22s a month & I cannot imagine having the time, let alone the inclination to do a detail strip & clean every range session.

Reading what LAV said in response to your question made me feel great! I am just a civilian, and my cheap and easy insurance policy of cleaning after typical use ensures my weapon always works!

I want to remain a taxpaying, law abiding citizen that can care for his family every day and night.

I'm sure LAV also wanted to retire from SF military service and come home to his family too. So he bought this cheap and easy insurance policy too.

Clean your Glocks people. That's the whole point of this thread.

Straight Shooter
05-28-12, 10:11
There always has been and always will be the two kinds of shooters.
Those who clean after every range trip....like me...and those that dont. And one cant understand the other.
NEEDED or not, before my weapons are retired to the safe, drawer, bedroom, wherever...they are properly cleaned and lubed, period.
Ive actually TRIED not to do this, and I could not sleep at all one night untill I got my LMT AR back out of the safe, and gave her a good going over.

charmcitycop
05-28-12, 12:01

usmcvet
05-28-12, 12:07
WOW!!! In my minds eye I envisioned some pecker wood, hobbyist shooter. Not a Cop. :bad:

Lots if cops are just not gun people. Some of their duty guns can be scary.

royal
05-28-12, 12:44
Grant,

I want to thank you for starting this thread. My gen 2 / 19 had been pelting me in the face (even after coming back from Smyrna) on an obnoxiously consistent basis. So much so that i stopped shooting it and almost sold it cheap. Following the full detail cleaning of the slide, FPS, extractor, (which had nasty shit and brass shavings up in there) I'm back from the range after 200+ rounds of Blazer Brass, Aguila, and some Ranger T's with ZERO brass to the noggin. Extraction patterns were sporadic in true Glock fashion, but nothing to the forehead, nose, or eyes.

The guys in Smyrna should be doing this for every non-recall gun that comes in with straight back extraction issues.

.45fmjoe
05-28-12, 12:58
My 2008 Austrian Gen 3 spits brass in my face, but it doesn't have more than a couple hundred rounds through it because I can't stand shooting it and getting pelted in the face.. I'll detail strip it, maybe it's full of factory anti-seize gunk.

fuse
05-28-12, 13:55
looks like the two users used way too much grease, also.

C4IGrant
05-29-12, 08:28
Grant,

I want to thank you for starting this thread. My gen 2 / 19 had been pelting me in the face (even after coming back from Smyrna) on an obnoxiously consistent basis. So much so that i stopped shooting it and almost sold it cheap. Following the full detail cleaning of the slide, FPS, extractor, (which had nasty shit and brass shavings up in there) I'm back from the range after 200+ rounds of Blazer Brass, Aguila, and some Ranger T's with ZERO brass to the noggin. Extraction patterns were sporadic in true Glock fashion, but nothing to the forehead, nose, or eyes.

The guys in Smyrna should be doing this for every non-recall gun that comes in with straight back extraction issues.

Cool! Mission accomplished!

Folks, remove the FPS and extractor is so easy on a Glock, that I would do it EVERY TIME I shot a one thousand rounds or more. Why? Because it takes just a few extra minutes and you just never know what you will find in there (like big chunks of brass).

C4

Grizzly16
05-29-12, 08:49
Back in the day when I was an operational member of Delta Force for 15 years I would never dream of shooting 2-3000 rds in a month and never clean my weapon -regardless of what I was shooting

But hey I was never in a big city SWAT team so I probably should just shut the **** up right?

LAV

Can I nominate this for m4c post of the year?

Back on topic, Grant thanks for this thread. I've been known to be lax between cleanings on my glocks. It was a good kick in the pants to not be lazy on them "since they are glocks".

C4IGrant
05-29-12, 09:13
Can I nominate this for m4c post of the year?

Back on topic, Grant thanks for this thread. I've been known to be lax between cleanings on my glocks. It was a good kick in the pants to not be lazy on them "since they are glocks".

You are welcome.

I think many people have "bought" into the Glock marketing that you don't need to clean or lubricate them (or even change out springs). This is 100% wrong.

C4

TomMcC
05-29-12, 10:40
I own Glocks and can attest to them needing cleaning and lubing. Once I was doing a bit of causal shooting at the range, the guy next to me was trying to shoot his 17. Malfunctioned every shot. After a while I decided to step in (something I don't usually do). Asked if I could take a look, gun was bone dry, zero lube anywhere, he had never taken it apart. I showed him how to disassemble and lube it, it worked fine then.

Frailer
05-29-12, 12:05
...As most often happens, the always-clean/never-clean purists are incapable of putting that sort of sensible middle ground into terms that DON'T manage to make it read like the polar opposite of their own stance. To them, the question MUST be polarized...

Very well said.

In fact, you could replace "always-clean/never-clean" with just about any "issue" that is discussed on this or any other Internet forum, and the statement would still be true.

packinaglock
05-29-12, 18:13
There always has been and always will be the two kinds of shooters.
Those who clean after every range trip....like me...and those that dont. And one cant understand the other.
NEEDED or not, before my weapons are retired to the safe, drawer, bedroom, wherever...they are properly cleaned and lubed, period.
Ive actually TRIED not to do this, and I could not sleep at all one night untill I got my LMT AR back out of the safe, and gave her a good going over.

Holy crap are we related? I am exactly the same way. It will eat at me till I clean them.

Mjolnir
05-29-12, 19:35
I'm surprised that many/some now feel the need "to alter their cleaning regimen". I don't understand why one WOULD PURPOSELY CHOOSE to have a filthy weapon. Maybe it's because of my love affair with the 1911. But I keep "tupperware" pretty clean, too: no several thousand rounds between cleanings.

LRB45
05-30-12, 11:09
My Glock has just shy of 1200 rounds and I clean it every 200-250 rounds. Just a basic cleaning and relubing. Thanks to this thread I will learn to detail clean my Glock.

C4IGrant
05-30-12, 11:19
My Glock has just shy of 1200 rounds and I clean it every 200-250 rounds. Just a basic cleaning and relubing. Thanks to this thread I will learn to detail clean my Glock.

IMHO, cleaning the barrel, inside of the frame and outside of the slide (which is what most people do when they clean their Glock) is not nearly as important as cleaning the FPS/Extractor and the corresponding areas in the slide. Reason is because Glock funnels debris towards those areas in an effort to make the run more reliable. The down side to this is that those areas become dirtier than in just about any other pistol AND have the biggest impact on reliability.

As an example, the FPS and extractor in my M&P (with over 10,000rds through it) looks like a Glock's FPS/Extractor with only 1,000rds through it.

C4

pr1042
05-30-12, 12:47
I have been inspired. Did mine yesterday and cleaned some gunk out of the fps and extractor. hoping this was the cause of cases to the face.

Never realized it was so easy to do....

chewie
06-02-12, 08:36
This thread crossed my mind yesterday. I was meeting with a "gun guy" and he was telling me his vast knowledge of Glocks when he quipped, "Well I haven't ever cleaned my Glock. I don't even oil it. These guns can run wet or dry."

I made an attempt to persuade him otherwise, but in the end, he was not swayed. Luckily he works for EMS and I won't need to rely on him for backup in the future. :confused:

I guess he must think cleaning supplies and kits are a conspiracy.

WillBrink
06-02-12, 09:31
Last week, a customer brought in his GEN 4 G19 because of reliability issues. The big one was the fact that the brass was hitting him in the face.

C4

Who brings a gun to a store or smith for reliability issues without at least giving it a good cleaning, look over, perhaps spring changes, and basics first? Those must be true "WTF?" moments for you.

hotrodder636
06-02-12, 10:13
I started getting some brass in the face with my Gen4 G19 during my last range session at 1000 round count. Well, I detail stripped it and am headed to the range today for about 350 more rounds, so I am anxious to see how the detail strip/ clean versus a field strip/cleaning will do. Furthermore, I am still really new to the Glock platform and I was able to detail strip and reassemble with NO issues...aka, it is easy enough for anyone to do. Will provide post-range follow up...

Stinx
06-03-12, 10:11
Good info